• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Australia All Whites Thread

NML

First, let's start with the history of the All Whites

history_zps4735d68d.png

As you can see, during the sim years, the All Whites were dominant. One title, three division shampionships, and four playoff appearances. Arguably the greatest club during those years, the attendance was always high and that meant a great balance for several years.

One of the keys, no doubt, was great pitching. Australia is home to one of the most pitcher friendly parks, and the staff has benefited over the years with some fantastic numbers. The bats improved over the years, but the pitching was steadily dominant.

What this set me up with was a great roster and budget upon takeover. It lead to first year success, but one issue was that the club had the worst system in the entire league. So while I was set up for instant success, there was no one coming up behind them.

Last edited:

NML

And since then?

historypt2_zpsb45a5b41.png

Not bad.

Year 1 was great in the regular season - my only big move in the off-season was signing Daniel Caine to a 2/36 deal, and he proceeded to win the Cy Young. Unfortunately, we went cold in the playoffs and fell out in the division shampsionship 4-1. Still, we had a record year in terms of attendance, made a ton of money, and had a pretty decent draft (to be discussed later).

Year 2 was weird... we had basically the same roster but dropped way off. Holden Rankin and Caine both missed time, we could never find the end of our rotation, the catcher and second baseman spots were terrible - and that all lead to a 4th place finish and missing the playoffs. I was having none of that shit, so I traded away my top three picks in the draft to get back into competition.

Year 3 saw us climb back up, although we couldn't top an all-in key west. Again, we went cold in the playoffs and were swept in the opening round, 3-0. It was another tough end to the season, especially after we really got hot after the all-star break. Unfortunately, almost our entire bullpen went down and our bats went cold at the wrong times.

And now ur up to date. The All Whites have had an interesting off season so far, which I'll touch on here in a bit - I really want to look back at my trades and drafts and see how I'm doing there.

NML

TRADES

I was very limited in trades early on, making none in the first off-season and only one the next.

Australia sends:
Pics of ass corch

False Bay sends:
Henry Brown (UBL)
Bob Nichols (UBL)

Tough to judge this one - Nichols was a one-year rental and pitched very well, while Brown was on a two-year deal and had a great first season, and an okay second (6.7 WAR, 2 WAR respectively). Unfortunately, despite their good first years, we didn't make the playoffs. So while getting them for nothing (no pics were sent) is a nice deal, I paid them and we still didn't make the playoffs. Judging the trade in a vacuum, definitely a win. In the grand scheme of things - may have allowed False Bay to be more competitive quickly (they knocked us out of the playoffs last year).

Last off-season, however, we picked things up a bit...

Seoul sends:
1b Ryan Connor

Australia sends:
2nd rd pick

Connor had a great first year with us, refinding some of his old form that made his one of the best bats in the WBL. A 6.5 WAR and a steady glove at first, we get him for at least another season. Will depend on his second year and how that pick develops, but I like the deal for us right now.

Amsterdam Sends
Jorge Lopez (WBL)
Paco Duran (WBL)
Devrim Ersoy (WBL)
$3 million

Australia Sends
1st Round Pick
2nd 2nd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Our first big blockbuster. All three pieces contributed last year and all three are back, but Paco is the real prize for us here. He was dominant in the closer role, but looks to be moving back to the rotation this year. He could be a stud. Ersoy had a real nice first season, but Lopez was injured a majority of the time. We gave up a lot here doe, and this one is tough to judge right now. In order for us to call this a "win," Paco needs to be elite, I need more than just one more season out of Lopez/Ersoy, and hopefully that first doesn't become an all star. That said, we got back into the playoffs, so it's not all bad.

This little activity definitely taught me that I need to trade more. I think I've done three this off-season. None mid-year doe...

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Who were those picks? I'm guessing I flipped one for Hamiid, Haktanir, and Afeef but I really can't remember.

NML

Who were those picks? I'm guessing I flipped one for Hamiid, Haktanir, and Afeef but I really can't remember.

Yeah looks like you flipped two of them to get Hamiid. Interested to see how he develops for you.

Paco didn't have great starts to begin this season, already 0-2. Still only 22 doe so I'm not too worried. Worst case is he becomes the GOAT closer, but then you'd definitely win the deal.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah looks like you flipped two of them to get Hamiid. Interested to see how he develops for you.

Paco didn't have great starts to begin this season, already 0-2. Still only 22 doe so I'm not too worried. Worst case is he becomes the GOAT closer, but then you'd definitely win the deal.

I think Paco will be fine. Karpetbomber posted a high 4s ERA for the first 10 starts or so until he finally figured it out. Paco didn't get that full year to learn like Karpet did because of your injuries. He gon' be good

NML

DRAFT HISTORY

1st round, 17th overall: George Miller, CF - George was a high school'er who was the last pick in the first round in '39. He's progressed very well so far. After a decent first full season in A, he had a great first half of the second year, very solid with the bat and great in the field. He started his time in AA slow, ending the year at .241/.319/.325, but still being a steady glove at center. He's off to a hot start this season in AA at just 22, and will hope to make the leap to AAA later this season. Probably won't be a star, but could be a 9/second leadoff hitter who plays great defense. High floor, low ceiling.

2nd round, 31st overall: Carlitos Bernardino, SP - Carl was another star HS'er who is a bit of a tweener with his lack of a third pitch. He spent his entire A career in the bullpen/closer role, and did well enough to move up to AA at 20. His season there saw him spend most of it in the bullpen, though he did make six starts with good success. He beings this year as a starter, and had one great start (7 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 4 K) and one okay start (7.2 IP, 4 ER, 7 H, 4 BB, 7 K). Looks to have a good chance at being an end of the rotation starter.

2nd round, 40th overall: Cetin Cikirikci, LF - Cetin is yet another HS'er who is coming off a great AA season. A leadoff hitter with a little bit of dat gap powah, his main strength is being phenomenal at left field. The lefty is also part of this class hanging out in AA. Could be a rotational/defensive guy who hits righties very well.

3rd round, 47th overall: Tyrone Massey, CL - Tyrone may end up being the best of the bunch in his limited role. He's been very much a roller coaster, but his potential was shown when he 1.34 ERA over 50 games in AA at just 20. He struggled on the move up to AAA, but this season is off to a great start, going 3 for 3 in save opportunities and not allowing a run in 4 appearances. He may get the call up before the season is over if we get any injuries or struggles.

3rd round, 65th overall: Yahyah Bin Qays, 3B - YBO also had a great AA season last year, but has fallen behind on the depth chart this year. At 23, he might be worth moving up. He's got some pop and (despite the ratings) a great eye that could translate to the next level. The potential is there to be a role player, just not sure if he'll make it or not. Might be worth force-starting.

We also have six other players still in our system, while two have made their way into other organizations. Having the last pick in the draft always meant this class would likely lack star power, but the depth is great and definitely a solid haul. Keep ur eye on Tamam Ridha, who's got plus plus power as an eighth round pick.

NML

TRADES UPDATE

Haven't updated this bad boy in a while, but it's a slow day at work so leggo

@Karl Hungus

Seoul sends:
Ed Sims

Australia sends:
4th round pick

- Ed Sims had a unique skill set that I look for because it plays into my park well. He had a solid second year with us, with a .275/.339/.415 slash line. He followed that up with a terrible showing and was released the year after. Is a meh first year combined with the above line worth a 4th round pick? 6 to one, half dozen to the other, I suppose.

@Gooksta
Key West sends:
Albert Farias
3rd rounder

Australia sends:
One babby-eating dingo

- This is the first of two salary dumps that I took on. Farias didn't do much for us this season, although he had a return trip a couple years later and was productive. That pick turned into Bui Duong, who crushed it in limited time in AAA last year. He'll likely get called up this season, although whether he can make any impact remains to be seen. Always tough to judge getting something for free...

@Yankee151
Istanbull sends:
Labib Bin Haddad, CF
2nd round pick
3rd round pick
2042 2nd round pick

Australia sends:
One babby roo

- Unless it's this trade. Bin Haddad was pretty good for us for two season, posting about a 6 WAR. Getting him for free, that alone probably gives us the win. Those picks became Christian Williams, who made his ML debut last year and is set to be in the rotation at catcher. His ratings aren't great, but he's always produced with the bat. And although his efficiency isn't great, his arm is above average, throwing out 58% of runners last season. William 'Vandal' Gutierrez never made it to the big leagues and was released this past off-season, although he'd probably win the gold glove at RF if given the chance. We used the other 2nd round pick to get Mark Clinch (to be discussed later).

@Karl Hungus
Australia sends:
Severino Tourega

Seoul sends:
Yasar Yilmanz

- A simple swap of young for old. Tourega is interesting - he's never lived up to his ratings and still has a career negative WAR. After a couple seasons in Seoul, he was released and has since signed with BA, where he's been okay. Yilmanz had two great seasons with us, and one not so great. Still, he made 109 saves for us, currently our all time leader. For a talent that can be had any off-season, I'll call this one a win.

@fignuts
Oz sends:
SP Medina (AA)

Cairo ships:
2B Blatchford (WBL)

- Blatchford never lived up to what I had hoped for him and was released this past off-season after never making an impact. Medina has turned into a pretty decent reliever for Cairo. Loss here.

@osick87
Buenos Aires Sends (@osick87)
Pedro Hernandez (WBL)

Australia Sends (@NML)
Moritz van den Bosch (AA)
Jorge Lopez (WBL)

- Hernandez was worthless. After a solid start to his season in BA, we picked him up in hopes of strengthening the end of the rotation. He was below average. Van den Bosch was flipped to FB and was awful. Lopez finished his contract out and then retired. Still, Hernandez was such a flop for us that I have to class this one a loss.

@Gooksta
Key West sends:
Clinch

Australia sends:
2nd round pick next year

- Here's yankee's pick getting flipped for Clinch. Clinch was great for us for half a season (4 WAR) and then we flipped him again (see below). The pick eventually became Bill Schmidt. Win.

@OU11
Amsterdam sends:
Andy Darrach

Australia sends:
2045 second round pick

- Darrach is the best player we have on the roster right now. Our pick was later moved and became David Johnson for Buffalo. He may be okay, but Darrach is definitely the better player. I think this was in OU's exodus, so it's a win with an asterisk.

@Karl Hungus
Australia sends-
Mark Clinch
Albert Castro
Fadey

Seoul Sends-
2044 3rd rd pick
2045 2nd rd pick
2045 3rd rd pick
2045 5th rd pick

- Here's where we flipped Clinch. We dumped a bunch of cap (which helped save our budget) and got a package of picks. They became Anthony Roberts (bust), Randy Hawkins (no good), Dan Sellers (looks decent), and Jose Torres (got caught for PEDs). Saving the money was probably worth not having Clinch for two months, but because the picks all blew I'll call this a push.

Need a breather after all these. More to come...

NML

@fignuts
Cairo sends
RF Antonio DLS WBL
7m cash
2048 1st rd

Australia sends
C Thierry Charles WBL
CF Juan Ortiz WBL

- Bit of a blockbuster here. As with the Clinch deal, I realized my budget was going to nose-dive if I didn't make some moves. Giving up Charles wasn't tough, because I wasn't going to bring him back at that price. He's just not a good enough fielder. And big righty bats are held back in my park. Juan Ortiz contract was a nightmare - he completely fell off after I gave him $16m a year over 5 seasons, and I think he still had three seasons left at this point. DLS was used just to make the money work and was later moved for an 8th round pick (@Lloyd Carr). I got some cash and a pick in next year's draft. Cairo is still pretty good, doe, so it probably won't be a high pick. The pick is the main asset, so it's a tough call right now.

@Gooksta
Australia sends:
6th overall pick

Key West sends:
10th overall pick
21st overall pick

- I wasn't crazy about anyone at 6, so I traded back. I ended up getting the player I probably would've selected anyway in Brandon Marsh. Marsh is exactly the kind of player that works well in my park - defensive-minded lefty bat with gap power. His bat is pretty average, but his fielding in left will be elite. His ratings at center have been okay, so he'll work nice to back up George Miller next season, as well. Pick 21 became Tim Snyder, who outplays his ratings but still may never make the majors. KW took the elusive Dave McGill with the 6th pick, who they failed to sign (which I think he's done like five times). The comp pick was moved to Berlin and became Justin Hinchcliffe (@Rutgers Mike) - a lefty starter who, if he can improve his control, could become a #3 guy. Still, I'll take Marsh over him.

@Rutgers Mike
Australia sends:
4th round pick next year

Berlin sends:
Husam al din Kardal

- al din Kardal likely had his worst ever season with us, but we did flip him for a very deal package from Las Vegas (see below). Danny Bowman, who needs to improve his movement to make the majors. Due to flipping him later, this is a win.

@Orlando
Australia sends:
Ewan Burgmans (international complex)

Hammers sends:
Farren
$2.5m cash

- This was a deal I was hesitant to make because Farren had been falling off, but I was generally interested to see how he'd do switching from the north to the south. He was awful and he traded him as quickly as we could. No idea what became of Burgmans, as I can't find him. Loss either way.

Las Vegas sends:
Both 3rd rounders
C Umarah (AAA)
LF Sean Hollingsworth (AAA)
CL Francisco Garcia (AAA)

Australia sends:
SP Kardal (WBL)

- This is the aforementioned package for Kardal. Umarah was a cap throw-in. Hollingsworth is a solid, all-around player who is the stop-gap before Marsh comes up. He did decent in his time last season, and he'll start for us this year. Garcia hasn't reached his potential yet, but he already posted a 1.3 ERA last year in 45 innings out of the bullpen last season. He's going to be a stud, and we may give him a shot at starting this season as well. I traded away one pick, the other became Dan Sellers, who may make the majors as a bullpen arm. Definite win here, with Garcia being the main prize.

@Yankee151
Australia sends:
SP Gerardgo Infante
SP Jung-sik Big Stick Kim

Istanbul sends:
2046 1st
2045 2nd
SP Hoyt Easton(AAA)

- The mass exodus continues, sending out two expiring starters. Hoyt Easton made his big league debut and was a respectable #5 starter. Steve Chapell became the 2nd round pick, and he's a fringe prospect. The 1st was packaged to get Montes in last year's draft. Probably a push.

@Gooksta
All whites send
1-13 2045 draft
LF N. Farren WBL

Key West sends
Jae Hong Hong LF WBL
B Coates C WBL
2046 2nd round pick

- Here we move Farren. We also sent 1-13, who was Ray Chapman. I wasn't a fan, but he looks to be pretty decent. The pick we got was also packaged to get Montes. Coates was solid for us for two seasons before we let him walk. Hong was great, and we eventually flipped him for more prospects. Probably a win for both sides here.

@Bdub
Australia sends
4th round pick
5th round pick

New Zealand sends
Albert Farias, SP (WBL)

- Here's where we brought Farias back. Unfortunately for bdub, neither pick ended up signing with him. Farias was decent for us and helped us get back into the playoffs, although he got hurt just before they started. Still, he was a nice addition. Win.

@Schauwn
Lisbon sends:
Porky, SS, WBL

Australia sends:
3rd round pick

- Porky was another nice addition for the playoff run. He struggled last season, but picked it up in September and looks to be back in the rotation for this year. I don't think the pick signed with Lisbon so they got a comp for this year.

Lisbon sends:

2046 1st
Yuda Mainaky (WBL)

Australia sends:

2046:
#14, #18, #22, #33, #51, #54, #56

- Big deal to get Montes, who should be a stud. Yuda was meh for us last year and he'll probably be our #5 this year. Schauwn got 7 picks for his farm, so it's definitely a win for him.

@Yankee151
Australia sends:
Paco Duran, SP (WBL)

Istanbul sends:
Daniel Saldana, SP (AAA)
Raul Medrano, CL (AA)

- Paco was dying so I wanted to move him. Although he ended up being okay for Yankee in his WS run, Saldana was a stud in a few starts last year. He'll probably make the rotation this year. Medrano is a couple years away, but he could be a stud closer.

@doh

- Hong was going to walk, so I wanted to move him. He was fantastic for doh, and I believe he resigned him. Tagg is a couple years away, but I love a switch hitting MIF. Manley is meh, but he came up last season and will probably back-up Ridha this year.

@Yankee151

- Pedro Chavez was blocked by Darrach, but performed well when I moved him to third. Still, Darrach is a stud at 2nd so I wanted him there. Ice Cold got a cup of coffee last year and was okay. He's never going to be a good bat, but he could be an elite SS defensively. Rauch is weird - his ratings mean he should really good, but he hasn't produced yet. Hopefully a full-time bullpen role will help.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
DRAFT HISTORY

2nd round, 31st overall: Carlitos Bernardino, SP - Carl was another star HS'er who is a bit of a tweener with his lack of a third pitch. He spent his entire A career in the bullpen/closer role, and did well enough to move up to AA at 20. His season there saw him spend most of it in the bullpen, though he did make six starts with good success. He beings this year as a starter, and had one great start (7 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 4 K) and one okay start (7.2 IP, 4 ER, 7 H, 4 BB, 7 K). Looks to have a good chance at being an end of the rotation starter.

I just discovered this post yesterday when you updated above. Bernardino has been in my system for a few years and is a solid bullpen arm and occasional spot starter. A tweener, as you say above. Control for days. Good call.

osick87

Community Liaison
I might have missed it but what were your thoughts on my Minors overview?

NML

I might have missed it but what were your thoughts on my Minors overview?

Pretty solid. What was interesting was that there were a couple that I love that you didn't mention, and then a couple you love that I didn't even know about. Like Marsh - I'm really pumped about bringing him up (probably next season). And you did bring up Launay, who is like my third best SS prospect, IMO haha