• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Conference Constipation Thread 2.0

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Part of me finds it hard to believe that Texas reached out to the SEC after turning their noses up at them for decades and their little brother joining the conference, but shit is about to get wild in college athletics so who knows? I know OU wants to explore all their options.

I just want the old Big 12 back minus Baylor plus anyone else.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Seems really bad for both programs. Oklahoma makes the play off anyway and Texas doesn't need anymore trial by fire aproach.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
SEC West: Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State
SEC East: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida

Could even split that further into pods of 4. Or a group of programs could split from the NCAA and do whatever they want and make this all moot. It don't matter. None of this matters. RATTLER OUDNA

Renegade

Charge on!

The realignment era might not be over.

In a story that was bubbling in Hoover this week before the Houston Chronicle broke the news, Texas and Oklahoma could leave the Big 12 to join the Southeastern Conference. The Houston Chronicle reported possible expansion could come “within a couple weeks.”

In reporting before the news broke, AL.com heard from multiple college football insiders that Texas and Oklahoma had already taken steps to facilitate a possible move and the desired landing place should both leave the Big 12 is the SEC. That move was in no way considered a done deal as of Wednesday, though, and that it wasn’t considered a formality to become reality. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey declined comment when asked by reporters if the reports were true.

When Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher was asked about the two schools inquiring about joining the SEC, he quipped, “I bet they would.”

There are multiple issues that could serve as roadblocks to a possible Texas and Oklahoma move to the SEC, though. First, while the Southeastern Conference’s bylaws state that 75 percent of the conference must be in favor of any school, the long-standing unofficial policy has been there must be unanimous support for any school to be approved into the conference’s membership. Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork told reporters Wednesday, “We want to be the only SEC team from the state of Texas.” In the past if Texas A&M leadership objected to Texas’ admission that would be enough to scuttle the deal, though there is a feeling within the conference that might not be enough to end a deal of this magnitude.

The other big question is the television rights portion in that Big 12 grant of rights runs until 2025 and Texas’ Longhorn Network deal runs through 2031. ESPN, which starting in 2024, will own all SEC rights could, in theory, work out the Longhorn Network component but FOX has Big 12 rights and would not want to lose two of its biggest draws before the contract ends. Additionally, every SEC school would want to earn more money, not less, and that means ESPN would likely be expected to kick in even more money on top of a deal expected to pay the conference $300 million annually.

This post will be updated.

Renegade

Charge on!
Four schools have to vote no to veto. A&M and Arkansas are two. I’m sure they could find two more.

I doubt Arkansas is one. They've got a series going with Texas. And while they've almost never played Oklahoma in the regular season, which is kind of surprising given how close the schools are, I'd imagine they see that as a great annual series.

I'd say Missouri is a better chance at being a no given that they had to deal with the Longhorn Network nonsense and worked to get away from Texas.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I doubt Arkansas is one. They've got a series going with Texas. And while they've almost never played Oklahoma in the regular season, which is kind of surprising given how close the schools are, I'd imagine they see that as a great annual series.

I'd say Missouri is a better chance at being a no given that they had to deal with the Longhorn Network nonsense and worked to get away from Texas.

The only thing Arkansas has over Texas is being in the SEC and they think they have a rivalry with them, so they probably would

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Part of me thinks this is dead in the water already but I also doubt Texas would let this leak if they didn’t think they had 11 yes votes.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I don't think this will happen just because it's Texas. Everyone hates Texas for one, and I'm pretty sure there's going to be some stipulations for them to even be considered. Setting aside A&M/Arkansas/Mizzou, the old boys club in the SEC is not going to let Texas come in and try to run the show and I don't think Texas will ever understand it's not the center of the universe. Texas brings a lot of money but it also brings a lot of headache.

I'm going to lol if SEC extends a counter offer to OU/OSU and Texas has to go independent (I don't think OU will go without one of OSU or Texas).

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I don't think this will happen just because it's Texas. Everyone hates Texas for one, and I'm pretty sure there's going to be some stipulations for them to even be considered. Setting aside A&M/Arkansas/Mizzou, the old boys club in the SEC is not going to let Texas come in and try to run the show and I don't think Texas will ever understand it's not the center of the universe. Texas brings a lot of money but it also brings a lot of headache.

I'm going to lol if SEC extends a counter offer to OU/OSU and Texas has to go independent (I don't think OU will go without one of OSU or Texas).

I'd be shocked if the legislature let OU leave OSU behind.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I’m still skeptical that this will even happen but the reactions from the fans of all schools for it and against it are too funny. I’m definitely going to LOL if it’s just a ploy by OU and Texas to negotiate bigger pieces of the pie from the Big 12.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
If they SEC offers OU and OU wants to go it will happen. OSU doesn't really matter, it's just that interests lined up with all the parties in the past. Money is all that matters and the SEC will make the state and OU more money and OU/OSU can still play in their non conference game.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
If they SEC offers OU and OU wants to go it will happen. OSU doesn't really matter, it's just that interests lined up with all the parties in the past. Money is all that matters and the SEC will make the state and OU more money and OU/OSU can still play in their non conference game.

y8QjQuZ.gif

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I am refusing to google it, but I can't even remember who Texas' corch is lol. Herman got fired...wtf is it? LSU dc?

Snorky's Shame

Four schools have to vote no to veto. A&M and Arkansas are two. I’m sure they could find two more.

I bet those no’s become yes’s when they see how much money can be made with Oklahoma and Texas in the SEC.

I have a feeling Oklahoma and Texas have seen the numbers of a potential new Big XII TV deal and didn’t like what they saw. The issue with the Big XII is no one watches the other 8 teams in the conference. There’s a reason why some of their FB and MBB games ended up on ESPN+ this year.

No way the Big XII stays a P5 if this happens and out of the 8 left over I can only see Kansas (B1G) and West Virginia (ACC) finding a home somewhere in the now P4. Even those are 50/50 propositions at best.

This also means the PAC-12 is not expanding. PAC-12 expansion doesn’t happen with Texas end of story. No way in hell they take Big XII leftovers, BYU or Boise State just to keep up with the ACC, B1G and SEC.

Last edited:

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
I bet those no’s become yes’s when they see how much money can be made with Oklahoma and Texas in the SEC.

I have a feeling Oklahoma and Texas have seen the numbers of a potential new Big XII TV deal and didn’t like what they saw. The issue with the Big XII is no one watches the other 8 teams in the conference. There’s a reason why some of their FB and MBB games ended up on ESPN+ this year.

No way the Big XII stays a P5 if this happens and out of the 8 left over I can only see Kansas (B1G) and West Virginia (ACC) finding a home somewhere in the now P4. Even those are 50/50 propositions at best.

This also means the PAC-12 is not expanding. PAC-12 expansion doesn’t happen with Texas end of story. No way in hell they take Big XII leftovers, BYU or Boise State.
Big ten might take Iowa State too

Snorky's Shame

Big ten might take Iowa State too

They fit academically but do you need two teams in Iowa? Answer is probably no sadly.

If I had to break up the Big XII to form 4 16 team conferences while keeping some balance I do this:

ACC: Notre Dame and West Virginia
B1G: Iowa State and Kansas
SEC: Kansas State and Baylor/Texas Christian
PAC-12: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech

If there is no deal to keep the Oklahoma schools together, if I’m the PAC-12 I’d invite Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas for sure. Not sure who the fourth would be. If I had my way it would be BYU but that’s a non-starter. It’s probably Texas Tech but UNLV or even New Mexico (don’t laugh) could be in the conversation.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I gotta try and find it. Didn't realize it was The Athletic, haha.

IIRC from last time around, the legislature can't outright prevent OU from leaving without OSU. What they can do is threaten to slash funding- "OU will make $45m more each year from being in the SEC, so unless you take OSU with you we'll cut that $45m from your appropriations"

Snorky's Shame

IIRC from last time around, the legislature can't outright prevent OU from leaving without OSU. What they can do is threaten to slash funding- "OU will make $45m more each year from being in the SEC, so unless you take OSU with you we'll cut that $45m from your appropriations"

That’s the same stuff that happened with Texas and Texas A&M when the SWC was imploding in the mid 90’s.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
You have to think that the Big Ten has also reached out to OU and Texas or if not, then they will. I doubt they'll let the two biggest "vulnerable" assets just go to their biggest rival as a conference (financially, obvs).

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Notre Dame and WVU to the ACC would be good because you’d basically have as close as you’re going to get to getting the Big East back with Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Cuse, VT, BC, Miami, and ND. Have them and all the old ACC teams plus FSU in divisions.

All the other conferences suck. Rutgers-Kansas as a Big Ten conference game lol. I don’t know what the rules are for expansion, but if they can get in over the guaranteed Iowa opposition, ISU is a good fit, especially with Campbell running the football team, but yeah, they don’t add any TV MARKETS so they’ll add Baylor instead. Just blow this shit up and have it be a NASHNUL minor league, it’s already headed there anyway.