• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Conference Constipation Thread 2.0

Renegade

Charge on!
The only likely outcomes of this alliance -

1. Some OOC scheduling, but given that so many OOCs are already booked, probably not much in the next few years
  2. They want to drive the CFP TV contract to market and not let ESPN extend right now in order to limit ESPN's power over the sport. This means no playoff expansion until 2026 at the earliest. :-(
Anything else, like a promise not to raid each other, is meaningless.

coogrfan

Big 12-American merger let’s goooooooo

9.gif

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
It's just going to end up being tiers. Geographical grouping will be out the window. Current SEC, plus whoever else they poach, is Tier 1. It'll be like the NFL with 32 teams or something. Rest of them boys playing for scraps.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
It's just going to end up being tiers. Geographical grouping will be out the window. Current SEC, plus whoever else they poach, is Tier 1. It'll be like the NFL with 32 teams or something. Rest of them boys playing for scraps.
That sounds awfully close to promotion/relegation, like those LIBRUL euro nancyboys! Can't have that!

coogrfan

It'll be like the NFL...if the NFL didn't have a draft, balanced scheduling, a commissioner who puts the interests of the league first, etc..

Should be great!

Last edited:

Renegade

Charge on!
yes sadly :crying2:

but also it's already been said that B8 will keep it's P5 status for playoffs, so with that in mind it'd make much more sense for BYU, Cincy, UCF and Houston to join the B8 for the auto-bid than for anyone to leave for the AAC

Keep the P5 status for the NY6 contract bowl. But you’re about to find out how your wins suddenly don’t matter because you didn’t lose to any 8-4 SEC teams. The B8 and whoever they add aren’t sniffing the playoffs.

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
Keep the P5 status for the NY6 contract bowl. But you’re about to find out how your wins suddenly don’t matter because you didn’t lose to any 8-4 SEC teams. The B8 and whoever they add aren’t sniffing the playoffs.
4 of the same 6 or so teams will go to the playoffs like they have since it's inception lol

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
Yeah, but just wait for someone like Okie State to go undefeated in the B8 once OU and UT are out. They won't get any consideration. It'll be the same deal as UCF and Cincy. No quality losses. Didn't play a tough conference schedule.
And the only reason they'd go undefeated is cuz Oklahoma/Texas are gone so that kind of proves the point lol. Plus by that time the playoff will probably have expanded anyway so it may be a non-issue.

But I'm not sure what a lack of playoff consideration has to do with reasons why any B8 teams would go to the AAC, because if they won't get consideration in the B8 they DEFINITELY aren't getting it in the AAC.

Last edited:

Renegade

Charge on!
And the only reason they'd go undefeated is cuz Oklahoma/Texas are gone so that kind of proves the point lol. Plus by that time the playoff will probably have expanded anyway so it may be a non-issue.

But I'm not sure what a lack of playoff consideration has to do with reasons why any B8 teams would go to the AAC, because if they won't get consideration in the B8 they DEFINITELY aren't getting it in the AAC.

Yeah, I agree that no one is going to the AAC. Gotta give Aresco credit for trying to make that happen when everyone was still shocked, but it’s not happening now.

coogrfan

I'll believe it when I see an official invite...and even then I'll remain skeptical that we ever play a down in the B<12.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
BYU could join the Big XII as early as next year with the others coming later. In the end, below is what the reported makeup of the new conference would be. At the very least, I like the opportunities I'll have to see BYU play games in Texas. But I'm a homer, so...

Baylor
BYU
Cincinnati
Houston
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
UCF
West Virginia

Renegade

Charge on!
I'm interested to see what the AAC does in response. This will drop them down to 8 football schools (including Navy FB-only) and 8 Olympic sports schools (Wichita State non-FB). It's a weird mix of membership left:

• 3 elite to near-elite private schools, SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane
  • 2 major urban high-level research universities, USF and Temple
  • 2 urban mid-level research universities, Memphis and Wichita State
  • 1 college town mid-level research university, East Carolina
  • 1 military academy, Navy

The first question is whether they go to 9, 10, or 12. The AAC had been in no rush and probably with little to no intention of backfilling UConn. So with the ability to host a conference championship game with a round-robin (and maybe with that requirement about to be dropped as well) and divisions no longer required, I'm not sure they go back to 12. There wasn't a school that clearly helped the TV deal to replace UConn, so I'm doubtful there's 4 of them. But they'll definitely need to add 1 or 2 schools to maintain stability.

While no doubt ESPN will finally let them know who will do the most for salvaging the TV deal, which will fall below the MWC in terms of annual dollar value now, I'd expect some factionalism in who is added. The first five schools (plus Navy) on the list are going to want institutional peers - Rice, UAB, Buffalo, and Georgia State being the clearest options. That gets your various markets (which don't matter a lot now without eyeballs) and universities that they want to be associated with. So that's more or less my prediction about what will actually happen. Charlotte and Old Dominion are not quite as strong of fits but have strong athletic budgets, so they could be players too.

What they should do is go all-in on strengthening football identity and brand. App State being #1 there. I feel like Coastal and ULL are flashes in the pan based on their current coaches, but App has won regardless of coach. After App? Maybe Georgia Southern? Marshall? Not quite as clear, but the best way to drive value is to actually bring good football into the conference. So I'm sure they'll manage not to add those schools so that the chemistry departments feel more camaraderie with each other.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I'm thinking they feel they'll need to expand since there's a big chance the Big XII will expand further and could potentially take up to 4 more schools (my guess would be 1 or 2, doe).

I'm also curious, from a basketball standpoint, what that does for Gonzaga. Do they leave the WCC? If so, where do they go?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
App State
One or both of the C-USA FL schools
Marshall
UAB
Georgia State or Southern if Navy leaves