• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Conference Constipation Thread 2.0

coogrfan

Maybe Louisiana Tech and Texas-El Paso along with New Mexico State can convince the WAC to go FBS.
Okay Bob. Keep living in fantasy land. It’s not about depth, it’s about name value.

"Well, you can’t replace the bell-cow programs, the national brands that are OU and Texas. We couldn’t have that aspiration because we could’ve brought in Alabama and Ohio State, and it wouldn’t raise the bar from a brand and media standpoint in comparison to OU and Texas’ impact.

But I think that we went after the four best institutions we could get. They’re all competing at a high level. They all have very high top-ends. They are in terrific recruiting areas—not so with BYU, but BYU is habitually in the top 25 and certainly has a national and even international recruiting environment. So, I just think we did the very best we could."

Seems like a realistic assessment of the situation to me.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
"Well, you can’t replace the bell-cow programs, the national brands that are OU and Texas. We couldn’t have that aspiration because we could’ve brought in Alabama and Ohio State, and it wouldn’t raise the bar from a brand and media standpoint in comparison to OU and Texas’ impact.

But I think that we went after the four best institutions we could get. They’re all competing at a high level. They all have very high top-ends. They are in terrific recruiting areas—not so with BYU, but BYU is habitually in the top 25 and certainly has a national and even international recruiting environment. So, I just think we did the very best we could."

Seems like a realistic assessment of the situation to me.
Okay but he said they have more depth than the Pac 12 and ACC. They don’t. You can compare it many ways, name value, championships, recent success, etc.

ACC killed the Big East, SEC/ Texas killed the Big 12, and then the PAC-12 and Big Ten picked the bones.

Snorky's Shame

So it looks like C-USA is backfilling with Liberty, New Mexico State, Jacksonville State and Sam Houston State.

133 FBS Schools now. Also Alabama has six FBS schools while California and Florida only have seven each.

Renegade

Charge on!
So it looks like C-USA is backfilling with Liberty, New Mexico State, Jacksonville State and Sam Houston State.

133 FBS Schools now. Also Alabama has six FBS schools while California and Florida only have seven each.

If MTSU and WKU do go to the MAC as reported, then CUSA is going to need one more FCS team on top of these to get to eight all-sports members, which is the required minimum. FB-only members like UMass won't do it for them.

Tarleton State, which is reclassfying from D-2 to FCS right now, is one of the rumored teams. The other is Lamar. I'd really like to see NDSU, but I don't think that's going to happen (though FB-only would be interesting).

Snorky's Shame

If MTSU and WKU do go to the MAC as reported, then CUSA is going to need one more FCS team on top of these to get to eight all-sports members, which is the required minimum. FB-only members like UMass won't do it for them.

Tarleton State, which is reclassfying from D-2 to FCS right now, is one of the rumored teams. The other is Lamar. I'd really like to see NDSU, but I don't think that's going to happen (though FB-only would be interesting).

And the WAC back-filled with Incarnate Word and McNeese State. Southland probably has to backfill with D2 schools now.

My head hurts.

coogrfan

I don't believe Sam is in a position to pay a $2 mil entry fee. We'll see.

CJ_24

OG C-USA was awesome

Marquette
DePaul
Saint Louis
Cincinnati
Louisville
Memphis
Charlotte
South Florida
Alabama-Birmingham
Southern Mississippi
Tulane
Houston

I just remember being excited to see Louisville be in the same conference as the Great Midwest schools (minus Dayton).

Once the Big East took Cincinnati, Louisville and South Florida and C-USA kicked out the non-FB schools (Charlotte, DePaul, Marquette and Saint Louis), the conference wasn’t the same.
That was an awesome basketball conference

Renegade

Charge on!
They should be. MACtion is the more stable option right now.

The MAC is the worst league in both major sports and pretty much all of them are super happy with their extreme mediocrity because of the stability. Playing on Tuesday/Wednesday night. No fans even on Saturdays. Just a matter of time before ESPN decides that MACtion will be all season and those guys rarely ever have a game on Saturday.

CUSA may not look like much right now, but they've got some potential, and they'll outperform the MAC in both sports within a few years. I'd rather ride out the waves in CUSA and have a longshot opportunity for some relevance over accepting mediocrity in perpetuity. I honestly don't understand why the MAC doesn't move to FCS...there's like three schools that give a shit about not being ass at football.

Snorky's Shame

Bored at work on Friday so I realigned P5 on historical lines and G5 on geographical lines. 8 conferences in each that can be combined into four super-conferences.

Big East: Boston College, Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, West Virginia
Metro: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Florida State, Houston, Louisville, South Carolina, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech

ACC: Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia, Wake Forest
SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Big Eight: Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
SWC: Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Brigham Young, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Christian, Utah

Big Ten: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin
PAC-8: California, Oregon, Oregon State, Southern California, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, Washington State

Northeast: Akron, Army West Point, Buffalo, Connecticut, Kent State, Massachusetts, Ohio, Temple
MAC: Ball State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Miami U, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Western Michigan

C-USA: Appalachian State, Charlotte, East Carolina, James Madison, Liberty, Marshall, Navy, Old Dominion
Sun Belt: Coastal Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Middle Tennessee, South Florida, Western Kentucky

American: Alabama-Birmingham, Arkansas State, Jacksonville State, Memphis, South Alabama, Southern Mississippi, Troy, Tulsa
WAC: Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, Sam Houston State, Southern Methodist, Tulane

Mountain West: Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Texas-El Paso, Texas-San Antonio, Texas State, Wyoming
Big West: Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, Nevada-Las Vegas, San Diego State, San Jose State, Utah State

P5 Switches you could make:

Miami and Virginia Tech (improve geography)
Georgia Tech and South Carolina (put both in conferences they were charter members of)
Texas Christian and Texas Tech (improve geography)
The Oklahoma schools and Utah schools (improve geography)

I pretty much realigned G5 on state lines. Might get something different if I plotted the C-USA/Sun Belt/American/WAC schools on a map.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Would it be easier logistically to just have Army and Navy be in the same conference/division? Would allow for more OOC scheduling flexibility.

I actually love the idea of historical conference lines but there's a couple things that might be problems.

If you don't share TV revenue, you'll up with financial disparity amongst conferences and schools(like it is now basically). It also makes it difficult for upwardly mobile programs to find spots.

Snorky's Shame

Would it be easier logistically to just have Army and Navy be in the same conference/division? Would allow for more OOC scheduling flexibility.

I actually love the idea of historical conference lines but there's a couple things that might be problems.

If you don't share TV revenue, you'll up with financial disparity amongst conferences and schools(like it is now basically). It also makes it difficult for upwardly mobile programs to find spots.

Yeah I thought about that. This way might be better since Army v Navy can stay the last regular season game of the year. Can’t do that if they’re in the same league. I don’t know who you would swap Navy for? Ohio probably.

Yeah P5 would share revenue amongst themselves and G5 would as well. Alabama gets the same as Central Florida. Yeah it’s a fantasy world, came close to it from 1991-1995 when ABC had the CFA, Big Ten and PAC-10 contracts. They were only missing Notre Dame who had signed with NBC. Having the super-conferences could help but the Big Eight/SWC combination would definitely get less than the other 3.

Sure upward mobility is an issue. Maybe introduce promotion/relegation with the MAC pairing up with Big Ten for example. I’m not in favor of that but it is a solution.

Also depends on which school(s) moves up. Memphis would be easy. Put them in the Metro and move Texas Tech to the SWC. Boise State could be tricky. Big Eight? PAC-8? I'm sure the California schools would love to have Boise State /s.

Last edited:

Snorky's Shame

It's probably a push competition-wise but I think the bottom half of the A-10 is consistently better than the bottom half of the MVC. Top half is a wash most years.

My fear is that this is another Fordham. Despite the Final Four run, no one cares about Loyola here in Chicago. It’s almost like the Rogers Park version of Northwestern just up Sheridan.

Also the MVC are looking to backfill with Murray State, Kansas City and Texas-Arlington. Screams one bid league now.

Last edited:

Ander1345

My fear is that this is another Fordham. Despite the Final Four run, no one cares about Loyola here in Chicago. It’s almost like the Rogers Park version of Northwestern just up Sheridan.
Seems like it's just always tricky for Chicago schools.

I went to UIC but I'll pretty much always be a Illini fan. But when UIC upset the Illini(2010?) a lot of people seemed to want UIC wiped off the map instead of celebrating a once in ages upset. Shows about how much real investment the school will ever get. Oh and it's "a commuter school" so fuck it.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

The bigger fear should be how the new coach handles recruiting. Loyola (Ill.), even with a Final Four run, isn't going to be able to recruit on a national scale and they aren't the only show in town like Gonzaga is in Spokane.

The new coach should focus on keeping the second and third tier Chicago talent in Chicago and Loyola can maintain a fairly successful program.

Chicago and Philly very similar. A number of regional D1 schools which battle for the same talent in their respective areas. The only anomaly is Villanova.

Snorky's Shame

Seems like it's just always tricky for Chicago schools.

I went to UIC but I'll pretty much always be a Illini fan. But when UIC upset the Illini(2010?) a lot of people seemed to want UIC wiped off the map instead of celebrating a once in ages upset. Shows about how much real investment the school will ever get. Oh and it's "a commuter school" so fuck it.

Hello fellow Flame!

If it’s any solace, UIC has climbed up the U.S. News rankings in recent years and has the highest Carnegie research designation.

UIC is tricky for two reasons

1. College Basketball isn’t popular in Chicago
  2. Maybe it’s changed since I went there but the a lot of students were first generation immigrants that don’t care about sports.

As for the others:

DePaul has been bad for so long they’re irrelevant. Also I’m still pissed they used public money to build Wintrust Arena. Just a boondoggle.

Loyola is sort of the rich kid Catholic school (like Villanova) which means outside of Rogers Park and the North Shore they have minimal reach.

Same deal with Northwestern. A lot of students from outside Chicagoland and they don’t stay after graduation. Also speaking from personal experience, one of the bigger town vs. gown battles that I know of.

Chicago State really should not have a D1 program at this point. Just go the Northeastern Illinois route, drop athletics and continue to provide an education to a part of the city that really needs it.

Northern Illinois got a hard lesson on how much they matter in Chicago when they had that game at Comiskey.

B1G and Notre Dame run Chicagoland with very little room for the local schools.

Last edited:

Snorky's Shame

UIC had a really shitty ice hockey team back in the day too. Michigan usually pounded them something like 9-0/10-1. :laughing:

I think the hockey boards are still up at the Pavillion! I mean someone had to finish bottom of the CCHA.

Program had just been dissolved when I attended. There hasn’t been a D-1 program in the state since UIC dropped the sport in the mid-90’s. I mean if they could have gotten the kids from Loyola Academy and New Trier down there…

Ander1345

Hello fellow Flame!

If it’s any solace, UIC has climbed up the U.S. News rankings in recent years and has the highest Carnegie research designation.

UIC is tricky for two reasons

1. College Basketball isn’t popular in Chicago
  2. Maybe it’s changed since I went there but the a lot of students were first generation immigrants that don’t care about sports.
As for the others:

DePaul has been bad for so long they’re irrelevant. Also I’m still pissed they used public money to build Wintrust Arena. Just a boondoggle.

Loyola is sort of the rich kid Catholic school (like Villanova) which means outside of Rogers Park and the North Shore they have minimal reach.

Same deal with Northwestern. A lot of students from outside Chicagoland and they don’t stay after graduation. Also speaking from personal experience, one of the bigger town vs. gown battles that I know of.

Chicago State really should not have a D1 program at this point. Just go the Northeastern Illinois route, drop athletics and continue to provide an education to a part of the city that really needs it.

Northern Illinois got a hard lesson on how much they matter in Chicago when they had that game at Comiskey.

B1G and Notre Dame run Chicagoland with very little room for the local schools.

I graduated in 2011, when they had just started renovating the quad I think Lincoln Hall was the only one done. UH was still falling apart or whatever.

Would love for it to grow as a school. I point it out to my wife and kids whenever we go in to the city but haven't had any reason to go back.

Maybe start football when the Bears vacate? Haha.

I actually started off at Northeastern, and it wasn't bad but the grad rate was still pretty horrendous.

Renegade

Charge on!

Also the MVC are looking to backfill with Murray State, Kansas City and Texas-Arlington. Screams one bid league now.

I'm curious if Wichita is interested in going back now that the AAC has lost UConn, Cincy, and Houston and replaced them with 6 shitty basketball programs.

Snorky's Shame

I'm curious if Wichita is interested in going back now that the AAC has lost UConn, Cincy, and Houston and replaced them with 6 shitty basketball programs.

Creighton and Tulsa aren’t in the MVC either. Also don’t think they want to possibly be in the same as Kansas City.

Renegade

Charge on!
Creighton and Tulsa aren’t in the MVC either. Also don’t think they want to possibly be in the same as Kansas City.

I don't really but that the MVC is interested in UT-Arlington or Kansas City instead of any of the Horizon teams. Murray State makes a lot of sense, but UTA and UMKC haven't done anything. Northern Kentucky would be a much better add than UTA or UMKC for instance.

bruin

I just like TRADITION. Any word on A&M and Texas playing every year now. Maybe we get the BORDER war back?

Tradition died in ‘01 with the Rose Bowl on like a Monday night with Miami and Neb.gun2headnotready2roll

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Nothing official yet on the SEC layout/scheduling. Have to think Texas and A&M are playing on Black Friday again, though. I'm going to guess that Missouri and Oklahoma will play the last weekend of the year, too. PEACE PIPE