• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

General OOTP Observations Thread

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Here's the reliever:

He's blocked from the closer slot by this GOAT of GOATs. (No, they will not trade him).

The bullpen has been a surprising money sink for me, btw. Good relievers get pretty expensive through arb. This year I had to let some go. Arb plus a couple F/A relievers (closer and one other, usually) really adds up.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Cot damn! That CL is nasty. 35 hold runners won't matter when they sawing through that filthy cheddar.

Good to hear that on not being able to hoard arms like in years past (ahem its been a decade, at least).

Still holding off on starting a dynasty. Enjoying building a program in CH2K8 to much after that itch caught hold once again.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
@Travis7401 just realized that the Rockies park factors are the complete opposite of the DYSON SPHERE. That should be a really fun and different challenge! Can’t wait to read about Douglas and his new adventures in Colorado!

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Seattle at Texas
Toronto at Baltimore
Oakland at Minnesota
White Sox vs Detroit

I might try realtime simulation tonight to track all the games.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Yankees extended Meadows

Salazar ended up getting 20 saves for me 3.93 ERA and FIP is well over 4.

My 2B got hurt, so the 2B I acquired had a pretty successful cup of coffee at 22 yo.

Yankees pulled ahead of their division after acquiring Meadows, and I did the same after the trade and bringing up Cavajel.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I was annoyed and didn't post results. I lost to NY in the Division Series. The manager really messed up the rotation and was going to pitch a scrub, so I redid the rotation. It's the first time I've done that.

Unfortunately I messed up and left it on 4 man rotation, so the rotation didn't flip back to Rocker for a deciding Game 4. I got annoyed at myself and took a break to build space empires.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Jack Leiter hit the trade block leading into his last season under contract with the Diamondbacks.

My owner wants me to "Build a Dynasty!" and upped my budget to $180,000, giving me a bit more budget room. So decided to try and push all in and reunite Kumar Rocker and Jack Leiter.

I managed to swing a trade for him - an MLB #3/4 SP, good RP, CF, and 1B prospects, and SS Wenceel Perez. Perez is the real value there - I've used him as a switch hitting utility because because I have another shortstop, but Perez has 70 defense. Unfortunately, after I hit trade on Perez, I did a closer examination of my shortstop Peguero, and it appears he's starting to lose his range. Fix one problem, find another.

The depth of SS in MLB right now is awful.

Anyway, extended Leiter for 4 years. This is my biggest contract by far since taking over the Tigers.

Next issue is my catcher, Keibert Ruiz, is due to hit free agency next year and I can't afford him after extending Leiter. Woof.

Edit: Adjusted scouting/dev budget and extended Ruiz 4/$93M. I am working up to my budget ceiling, very tight but the money is where it's hardest to acquire cheaper talent. I hope I can get that WS win this year.

Last edited:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Need to get in and see how the prospects and long-term contract holders are ranked and do a sim draft or two to see how prospects are falling. The teams I'm considering include the Rangers, Pirates, Padres, Red Sox, and Angels.

After doing the Tigers and Royals, I don't think I want to tackle another small market team. Padres and Angels check a lot of boxes - West Coast, have never won a World Series, FUN players on roster... but don't draft very high in 2022. Rangers draft high and have Leiter. I could build a strong Texas rotation around the new star players. HMMM

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Man, Druw Jones got the shaft with 40 contact but Elijah Green and Termarr Johnson are going to be GOATS in most leagues.

Kumar with 40 control? Why, because the Mets backed out? Makes no sense that he would be worse than previous years, lol. I'll probably have to edit him back to 20 or 21 ratings.

Thepro_23

Anyone really nerdy about player development in-game?

I play in one online league, can't really find the mental power to focus on more than one, but def do a ton of deep dives into player dev and what makes things tick. 2022 has been an interesting game to do so on.

Thepro_23

WELCOME CORCH @Thepro_23 ?

Going to try to set up our league before Monday night then set a start date + CROOT OOTP board.
I'll see. Is there a possibility I can poke around with ratings and structure before making a decision? I am a simple-minded fellow that can't pay attention to 2 at once.

Thepro_23

Always down to talk pitching dev.
Lately I’ve been taking a ton of college pitchers with good stats in mid-later rounds. The league I’m in is all OSA and doesn’t have stars or overall, just ratings. I’ve noticed a bunch of these dudes start to improve, especially if their senior year showed improvement. I’ve also been taking good relievers and sometimes they’ll develop a change out of nowhere.
I find the best thing to do is get those college pitchers throwing early in rookie ball and just promoting aggressively. HS pitchers can be relievers for a little bit. I try to get everyone >22 into A ball and then I pretty much organize them into RP or SP.
Here’s what I’ve done in that league. Had a ton of success with minor league FA too just looking for guys that are improving potential and then cutting after a year if they stall.

Thepro_23

Hitters are safer pics. In our league, I don’t know what TCR is set at but I’ve been successful taking hitters early and getting pitchers that are like 3rd-4th rounders to blow up. I pick late a lot and find 1B are usually solid choices for 1st rounders.
I usually look for UTILs later. So many people try to get the sexy hitter but getting a dude that can play a lot of positions is very valuable IMO, even if the bat is below average.
Fit is everything.

Wolfman21

so those that have 23...is it worth a fuck? AKA: Should I just go ahead and drop 35 bucks on it now or just wait until the all star break and spend 20?

Wolfman21

i started a Braves playthrough on 23 and in the first offseason, the Dodgers signed Joey Gallo to a 7 year, 184 million dollar contract, lol. He was coming off of a 4 WAR season with a .910 OPS with the Yankees....but 30 games into 2023 and hes slashing .170/.316/.348 and is DTD with shoulder tendinitis, lol

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
The Soto trade ruined my Nats play through, can’t enjoy it anymore. Still hate that I lost my Tigers save because I had gotten far enough and weird enough that the separation from reality didn’t bother me.

I might do a Live Start with another team and start plugging away again. Maybe Reds or Pirates. A’s might be fun also. Are there any large markets that are down? Red Sox and Cubs are all I can think of. Angels but that would be a really hard one.

Wolfman21

yeah, it would be tough to do one with the Nats WITH soto now. Cubs would be a fun rebuild i would think, if you're wanting a large market team. I'm wanting to do a Pirates one after I get tired of the Braves.

Also, i forgot how annoying the injuries are. My entire starting rotation in 2023 has missed significant time. Thankfully they're taking turns so i only have to plug in replacements one at a time and have pulled out to a 7 game lead in the East. Just traded Marcell Ozuna and a never-will-make-it minor leaguer for JD Martinez at the trade deadline...huge upgrade at DH. Acuna is on pace for an 8+ WAR season, Riley was on pace for a 7+ WAR season through mid July before he got slammed with a month long injury. Michael Harris was on pace for a 5+ WAR season before he got hit with a month long injury. Dansby and Ozzie have both been on and off the DL multiple times. Acuna, Olson and William Contreras are my only starters who haven't spent atleast 2 weeks on the DL yet.

Wolfman21

welp, they just killed Fried, Strider and Anderson all within about a 2 week span at the end of august. That should pretty much kill my season. Gotta love it

Wolfman21

and austin riley goes out for 6 weeks with 3 games remaining in the season on the day I clinch the NL East. So going into the playoffs without 3 starting pitchers, my starting CF on pace for 5+ WAR season and my starting 3B who had a 5 WAR season in 129 games. Yay

still ended up beating the Phillies in 5 games in the NLDS and then taking the Dodgers to 7 games in the NLCS. I think I had a starter go more than 4 innings 3 times in those 12 games :laughing:

Last edited:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Yeah I extended Soto and was trying to build around him. The Nats even got sold so it was kinda fun but hard. But the trade ruined it for me. Abrams is so good in the game it would be a fun QuickStart but my Nats games always eventually die.

Started a game from a live sim and skipped ahead to the next year.

Short list is now: Arizona (I hate the uniforms but they have Lawlar and Druw Jones, which would be fun), Reds (Marte and other good IF prospects), and Red Sox to do a major market team for once.

Also the A's, they won the 1-1 in the lottery but are in a really bad spot IMO. Not sure I can do another tiny market after Tigers and Nats (Nats were sold and it got harder). Cubs might be fun but their existing farm is not great and CPU GM signed Correa to six years. Their only fun prospects look like Triantos and Ferris.