• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

IFA rules

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Can we go back to the old IFA rules next offseason? This new system is garbage and doesn’t help small market teams. Top IFAs now choose the biggest, best teams, so rebuilding teams will never get a top IFA.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Why are you voting no? What possible advantage does this system have for anyone not named LV, Seoul, Dublin, Helsa, Buffalo?

IFA is now basically a reverse draft where best team offers max and gets first pick.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Because I have learned from the Rob Manfred school of Omissioners and thus I cant be wrong

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I have a serious perspective but I think people have more fun bidding 30M for one player so I'm all about whatever everyone is happy with

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I don't really have an opinion one way or another.

I will say that this about the current model- it gives the opportunity to sign either a single high-end prospect or a ton of... other guys. Has anyone tried yet to just sign a bunch of the so-so guys for cheap at the end of the signing period? It might not be a bad strategy.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't really have an opinion one way or another.

I will say that this about the current model- it gives the opportunity to sign either a single high-end prospect or a ton of... other guys. Has anyone tried yet to just sign a bunch of the so-so guys for cheap at the end of the signing period? It might not be a bad strategy.
I did basically this the first couple seasons. We’ll see how it pans out.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
The biggest problem I have with it is 23 guys are still left in IFA... We have this huge backlog of unsigned guys. It's going to screw with the talent pool BIG time.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
The biggest problem I have with it is 23 guys are still left in IFA... We have this huge backlog of unsigned guys. It's going to screw with the talent pool BIG time.
As I've noted before this doesnt matter as you would think. We are generating double the guys purely for talent concentration, so the talent pool isnt harmed by a bunch of .5star(I know, stars) talent going unsigned. It simply means most people are going for one guy and that's it.

A few guys I've signed were asking for 3M but I went the max to snag them. My first year I grabbed 4 guys. I like this tradeoff, but it seems most people like the blind auction with no cap better, so whatevs

doh

As I've noted before this doesnt matter as you would think. We are generating double the guys purely for talent concentration, so the talent pool isnt harmed by a bunch of .5star(I know, stars) talent going unsigned. It simply means most people are going for one guy and that's it.
Isn't IFA (and lots the game) just giving guys experience and seeing who "pops"? It changed a few years ago where the difference between when someone is signed in IFA/drafted and what they turn into can be huge.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I mean I guess we could wait 10 years until guys start popping and reevaluate. I don’t see much advantage for the lower half of teams because they now have no access to top flight IFAs — imagine if BUG could only be signed by DAM and JD wasn’t able to, way back when. And then the big budgets are capped so we sign BUGS for $5M and then spend the rest in free agency so no one else can sign SP, lol. But I’ll enjoy it I guess.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Isn't IFA (and lots the game) just giving guys experience and seeing who "pops"? It changed a few years ago where the difference between when someone is signed in IFA/drafted and what they turn into can be huge.
Sure, but no one is going for a strategy of grabbing 5 lotto ticket guys in IFA. That's not necessarily a fault of the system. Imo the optimal strategy is go all out for your top guy and if you miss him then spread the wealth

doh

Sure, but no one is going for a strategy of grabbing 5 lotto ticket guys in IFA. That's not necessarily a fault of the system. Imo the optimal strategy is go all out for your top guy and if you miss him then spread the wealth

I'm going for quantity not quality. Always have with IFA. I believe it's a numbers game.

Wolfman21

Why are you voting no? What possible advantage does this system have for anyone not named LV, Seoul, Dublin, Helsa, Buffalo?

IFA is now basically a reverse draft where best team offers max and gets first pick.

Is it though? Ive gotten two 5* potential guys the last two IFA periods and ive been one of the worst teams in the league

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I’m not exactly sure. Fan loyalty maybe? Or hidden numerical market size value? The market sizes get reset periodically.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
what designates a "better team"? Better fan loyalty? Better results last season? Better results last 5 seasons? All combined?

Like Rad said, we don't really know. There's probably some hidden formula that takes things like results, fan loyalty, budgets, etc into account. It's pretty opaque.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
And for FWIW, it's pretty opaque even on the old rules with regards to which guys sign immediately and which guys get into a bidding war. The only presumably difference for me to me to me is that the losers dont have to decide between 2 lotto tickets (every other player is snagged by whoever is spending big that year) or going over and missing out on their chance next year.

Wolfman21

Im fine with whichever way. Ive been a have not and it hasnt stopped me from getting 2 5*s in a row. I got them the other way as well. Hakuna matata

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Would order of importing our exports matter? I’m trying to research this, and some people were complaining it’s just a first to $5M race. I don’t think that applies here, but thought I would mention it.

This is hard to research because in this case we adopted some pretty unique rules.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Im fine with whichever way. Ive been a have not and it hasnt stopped me from getting 2 5*s in a row. I got them the other way as well. Hakuna matata
Yeah. Borg has not been a good team, but the first few seasons of these rules I just tried to sign 3+ players each year. Last year was the first year I threw all my money at one player and I’m not even sure they were worth it.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I don't mind either way, but I have been happy with the cap. I have gained at least three good prospects whom under the old system would have been hoovered up by a big spending team. I used @Yankee151 s method. The idea that with no cap there would be any good prospects (like the ones I've snagged) left for small budget teams is a bit laughable, but if that's the way it is... If I had a vote I'd vote to stay with the cap.

Soonerfan09

Did we ever make a decision on this? I think there has been more recent conversation (last offseason maybe), but I don't remember if anything was ever decided.

doh

We still have 16 guys left over from previous IFA years....

Talent gon' be fucked up

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Yeah, what am I ever gonna do without some 30 movement pitcher, lol. Even the ones I pay way too much for are garbage!

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Everytime doh says theres 16 players left I have to point out I buffed the pool size from 32 to 64 so talent is actually getting better not worse

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Did anyone have money left late in the year to see if they would sign on the cheap? I signed guys for Buffalo & UK midseason and they were sticking to their demands.

Soonerfan09

Did anyone have money left late in the year to see if they would sign on the cheap? I signed guys for Buffalo & UK midseason and they were sticking to their demands.
IFA guys? I had like $30M last season that I couldn't do anything with, but I already reached the cap for IFA guys, so I couldn't sign any. Probably going to be the same thing this season as I have almost $80M available.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
IFA guys? I had like $30M last season that I couldn't do anything with, but I already reached the cap for IFA guys, so I couldn't sign any. Probably going to be the same thing this season as I have almost $80M available.

Yeah. Just wondering if someone hadn't spent up to the cap yet, could they just hoover these guys up now for like $100k each?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Sure they look like garbage now-- but random IFA guys pop way more than random draft guys. League is littered with small buy IFA players who are reel e good.
Are we sure this is true? Could it be people just pick those guys up more often than all the undrafted players who are poopoo