• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Makin' it rain: Las Vegas Pacmen

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
OK so a very, very busy off-season as always. I think I turn my roster over more than anyone else in the league. It's the part of the his league I enjoy the most (trading, FAs, etc.). First off the trades:

Key West sends
2049 first
2050 second
P Denzell Dumbrill (A)
OF Lance Hammond (A)

Vegas Sends
P Raul Torres

The process of trading Torres was investing. I think I had 8 teams inquire about him with 4 being very serious. I had various deals out there (just WBL, WBL+prospects, and this one). I ended up taking the one with the most potential value. The 2049 1st is the 6th overall and I expect the 2050 second to be in the top 25-30 overall. Dumbrill has a chance to be a RP. Hammond is a very interesting prospect in terms of high contact/gap rates and great avoid K. But zero power or eye. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Why did I trade Torres? Three main reasons:

1. He is expensive. $28m over the next two years and I wanted to have a year of going all out in IFA. Also in this "new era" of OOTP extensions, I want to clear salary.
2. I'm pretty set at SP. Colon/Romero/Jackson are here long term. Herc at least this year. I felt like playoffs and regular season wise, I'm fine there. I'd rather use resources to get better other places.
3. Torres this year had taken some steps back. His ratings and FIP had gotten worse. He's 28 but has thrown tons of innings and has had some injuries. I wanted to trade him almost as s gamble he'd get worse or just get the value now. I do think there's a chance he steadies and stays the same (top 12-15 SP in the game).

Little Rock sends:
SS Jesús "Flat Tire" Bernal

Las Vegas sends:
SS Sae-Wan "Skeeter" Chong
CF Lenny Utting(AAA)

Like the trade above, this was about getting rid of salary. I cleared the $11.5m then $12m TO due to Chong. I wanted to upgrade defensively there with Chong not being elite defensively (with my GB heavy pitching staff). I also wanted to dump the salary and while Chong had a .390 OBP last year, his lack of any power hurts offensively. Utting had a hard year but he is a role player I haven't been able to replace yet (RH OF).

I'm betting Bernal with stay healthy and have a .265 25 HR year which I think he could. His defense at 3B should be interesting. He was -10 ZR 2 years ago but +2 ZR this year. I also like how he is a FA so I can clear his salary. I'm also betting Seguin can play SS. I'm thinking Velasquez will be his DR (and will give him days off with Seguin going to 3B and Velas at SS).

Las Vegas sends:
4th Round pick

Buenos Aires:
C Jaques Delfino (AAA)

Been looking for a RH catcher to pair with the lefty hitter Larking. He has the best avoid K amongst catchers (sorry Cairo-- Scott Bell is a DH) which I think is more and more becoming a good skill because of how bad WBL defenses are. He's good defensively too. Catcher will be less than $1m combined to fit and I like my platoon with great defense. Part of the strategy of getting Bernal to replace Chong's ABs is to allow me to have defensive catchers who are OK offensively.

Vegas Sends:
15th overall (2050? whatever next draft is)

Istanbul Sends:
1b Besim Inonu WBL

I've like Inonu for a while. He fits my team perfectly (LH power, good defense, cheap). I also have a lefty heavy lineup so a switch hitter who hits LHP well is huge for me. The price is fairly steep but at the minimum for this and next year, I think he is worth it. He fills a hole at 1B (and maybe get his ratings up in LF) for a long time and I think he will improve on his .800 OPS as he's still under 27.

Las Vegas sends:
2B Duane Langille (WBL)

Lisbon sends:
CF Jorge Barbosa (A)

I like Langille a lot but with his best position is 2B. He's extended defensively at SS and doesn't hit enough to be worth it to start at 1B. Gomez is my 2B probably for the next 10 seasons (and he really can't play anywhere else). Langille was also out of options. I really think in the right park, he could be a 2-3 WAR player. 2B is a pretty thin position too.

Barbosa is an OK prospect. His has good avoid K which I'm trying to experiment with.

doh

Part II with the signings I made plus the blockbuster trade...

Signed DH Felipe Brito to a one-year, $827k contract

Brito was horrendous last year (-3.6 WAR) mostly because of an awful defense (-40 ZR). I struggled vs. LHP last year so I wanted someone who could hit them. He has monster power and actually a decent contact rating vs. LHP as well.

Signed RHP Yuda Mainkay to a one-year, $1.2m contract

My team is very thin in pitching and overall on my organizational depth chart. I really only have one pitcher who is anywhere close to joining the bigs or being good enough to throw at the WBL level. Mainkay has been consistently solid but (of course) at Opening Day his ratings took a huge hit. The role I want him for though is to steady the ship if I have an injury and need 2-3 starts and mop up duty.

Sign LHP Luys Joyce to a one-year, $2.7m contract

This is an interesting signing for my team. I went after Kardal but didn't want to give him two guaranteed years so I went with Joyce. He's the opposite of what I usually look for (high movement) but he usually has a nice K-rate. I'm just asking him to be a #5 SP so I'm not expecting much but hopefully he can have an ERA around 4.00.

Las Vegas sends:
KWest 1st
3B Jesus Bernal (WBL)
SP Abdul Nasser bin Rafiq (WBL)

False Bay sends:
SP Tanyu Nakamura (WBL)
SS John Sawyer (WBL)

This looks like an "all-in" move but I made it for the future as well. Losing the sixth overall pick is not easy. But I'm thinking about trading away firsts more often because so many of mine just become nothing. So I think I'm going to try and trade the first picks I have.

Bernal I traded mostly because of his defense. His defense is bad and he hasn't hit to start with me. I think he eventually will start to hit but he is also a FA. Herc has been great for me but like Bernal, I'm wary of him losing ratings and he is a FA.

Obviously Nakamura is a premium player. He did decline a little before the year and I think he is going to be a top 10 not a top 3 SP from here on out. Sawyer I've wanted for a while because he can play different positions. He really helps my team because I didn't have a back up CF and I only play McHeshi 5 times max per week so he will help there. He also gives me another RH bat on my left/switch dominated lineup. It helps a lot I get Naka two more years and Sawyer another as well.

Overall, I do think WAR wise I lose a little this year PLUS have to give up the 6th overall pick. However, I do get the guys I traded for locked in for at least next year as well. I also think this improves my pitching and defense.

doh

OK so walk up music... will try to explain some of it and it's in no rational order... here we go...

CF John Sawyer - "Tom Sayer" by Rush

Pretty self explanatory. I remember Bill Mueller had this for the Giants and I was at an A's game last year or maybe 2013 where a guy had it.

C John Larking - "I Just Wanna Love You (Instrumental) by Jay Z

From NY, NY so let's give him some Illuminati-Z. Love this beat.

1B Besim Inonu - "Back Then" by Mike Jones

Went to Houston, so I'll give him some H-Town rap. Also went from playing on the shittiest team in the league to the first place team.

SS Walter 'Icebox' Seguin -- "You Can do it" by Ice Cube

Just a play off his nickname.

More coming at some point (or maybe that's it)...

doh

Just going to put this here: Saucedo has played in 38 of my 62 games and leads the league in WAR.

Also I hate this game.

Wolfman21

Just going to put this here: Saucedo has played in 38 of my 62 games and leads the league in WAR.

Also I hate this game.

I felt the same way after losing Chavez before the playoffs last year. Worked out ok for me. Few championships are won without overcoming some kind of adversity.

Gooksta

Also I hate this game.
i think too much of a change in playing time from year to the next causes injury.. just a feeling I have.

doh

Sauce ended up 5th overall in the WBL in RF WAR playing in just 38 games..

Random rambling thoughts on the season...

Going into the year, I thought it was the best hitting team I've ever had. I thought it was as good SP as I've had. RP was good (not great) and felt defensively the best since maybe my first team in the WBL. I ended up with the most runs scored by 60 for me in a season. Before '48, I'd never gone over 800. Last two years were 844 and 908. Pitching wise the 583 runs I gave up were the second best we've had and best since my first year. The RD, wins and pythag were all the best.

I've been all about rest but next time if I have the chance to avoid a team in the first round (in this case Amsterdam who I thought was the best team in the league at the end of the year), then I need to take advantage of it. I really do think the injuries to Fritz/Jabiri and especially Sauce hurt a bit.

Catcher

I was very happy with platoon last year. John Larking had a 2.0 WAR as the LH in the platoon with a nice .277 average and a bit of power. He's a great defensive catcher too and won the golden glove. Delfino as the RH option had a 1.2 WAR with as solid .718 OPS. They were both at the minimum last year. Just Delfino goes to arb-1 this year so I am pretty set here.

First Base

I thought Inonu could have a breakout year and I was very surprised it was this good. He ended up 3rd in a lot of good offensive categories (OBP, RC) and WAR. He was 5th in steals and own a gold glove too. Basically, he couldn't do any better although I think he might be able to have this offensive output for 3-4 more years. He's still on a minimum deal and will be a mainstay for me going into his age 26 season.

Second Base

The first full year of 2048 Rookie of the Year Enrique Gomez was just one of the best age-21 years in WBL history. A 5.7 WAR powered by 39 HRs in just 148 starts. Defensively despite great ratings was even -1.1 ZRs so the WAR can get better. Also could stand to not have as many CSs. Led Varsity on XBH and 3rd in HRs. Could be a MVP candidate year in and year out for a while. Future is set here as well.

Shortstop

I was a bit nervous with Walter Seguin starting out as my opening day shortstop. Ice Box ended up starting 82 at SS, 46 at 3B, 8 at 2B and and 4 at DH and was great offensively. His defense was OK at SS. Enter Alejandro Velasquez who at 30 had his best WBL season. Getting 86 starts he was a +6ZR at SS where he was DR 40 times. He put together a 1.8 WAR which is extremely good for just 339 PA. Seguin is a FA so as of now I'm leaning towards Velasquez starting a lot at SS unless I can get a good FA. I wouldn't be opposed to going 2/20 for Seguin if he falls to that in FA.

Third Base

I started out with Bernal. Then went to McHeshi. Then to Oversluizen. Over at 26 hit 33 HRs and had a 6.3 WAR. But that figure went 4.8 to 2.6 to this year 1.2 with Dublin (.718 OPS). He got a ton of energy coming to a playoff contender and had a 1.029 OPS on The Strip. He's still a good fielder and at $6.4m over 2 years even if he still is a 2.6 WAR type player, he is on a good contract. He's my place gap there for a couple of years.

Left Field

Pretty much the shocker of the year was Numan Farid. He put up his highest OPS since he was Rookie of the Year with me in 2042. His best WAR since his age-27 year in Amsterdam. He had a 1.184 OPS in April and after a solid middle of the year went 1.002 in September. He was +9 ZRs between LF-CF-RF and is signed for just $4m this season. I have lots of options in my farm system so this position should be good in the future as well.

Center Field

It started with McHeshi. Then went to Sawyer and back to McHeshi. Dermott leads my franchise in basically everything and his decline hasn't been as bad as I thought it could be. He had his worst year vs. LHP (.510 OPS) but still hit 28 HR in just 111 GS. He again was amazing defensively in CF as well. Coming into his age-31 season, McHeshi is due $10m this year with a $10.6m TO for 2051 which I believe I will pick up. He still is an elite defensive CF and hitting wise isn't that bad either. I hope he is able to retire a Pac Man and his ability to switch to 3B too is huge for the team.

Right Field

Originally I wanted Sauce here to allow Juarez to DH. Juarez going to DH improves his offensive numbers as well really helps my defense. Two injures to Sauce ended his season but I did sign him to a monster extension. 5 years/$102m which is the biggest I think I've ever given anyone. It's an interesting contract that starts out at $25m then dips down to $19m then $18m because of how my budget is structured. I hope last year was just an aberration in terms of injuries. Juarez won the batting title in his best year as a pro. He's played in over 1000 WBL games and is just 26 too which means he could be hitting his peak still. He also signed a big extension (5/68) which goes from $17m all the way down to eventually $11m. He was a combined -6 ZRs in LF/RF so I hope to DH him this year.

doh

Yep just ran into the best team in the playoffs. I thought us, Moscow and Amsterdam were the three best teams going into the playoffs. I think the fact our series went 5, MOS-AMD went 7 then Amsterdam had a 33-6 RD in the WS illustrated that.

I also think that there weren't any "super teams" in the NL helped me a lot in winning 108. Usually you guys or Amsterdam is just better than my team and I have to try different things to attempt to get an edge in the playoffs.

My bench was huge as well. Sawyer, Velasquez, Brito and Delfino all contributed in key ways. Delfino was a 1.2 WAR backup catcher which is incredible. Velasquez helped a lot vs. LHP as well as keeping Seguin fresh and improving defense. Sawyer helped with great defense in CF (although he couldn't hit worth a shit). Brito started out on fire and hit a HR about every 15 or ABs.

I've been trying to build a bench like that for years and hopefully I can have all four on my bench again this year.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I should have lost honestly, the whole lineup was cold most of the post season. Game 5 against Moscow they just caught fire and went on a tear. I scored 47 runs in the last 8 games. I really thought you were going to beat me, too. I thought for sure they'd done all they could do in game 4, usually after a game like that I don't score a run.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah you really put it all together and had some nice surprises as well. Pretty fun when everyone is basically having career years. The playoffs are just such a crapshoot in the end.

Your 2049 team reminded me a lot of my 2048 team. Basically unbeatable most of the season with everyone playing out of their minds and probably better teams than the teams we won it all with, but just couldn't quite finish off. Hopefully you don't slump in 2050 like I did in 2049.

doh

So pitching wise things were pretty good and are good going forward....

Cliff Jackson, Francisco Colon and Jose Romero all made their debut's with LV and are all signed through 2053. Jackson is owed just 21m the next 3 years then has a $9.5m TO. He has a career 3.07 ERA and was my first 20-game winner ever. Plus he has a career 1.70 playoffs ERA in 7 starts.

Colon has ERAs of 3.23, 3.25 and 3.44 in his first three years in the WBL and is just 23 years old. He's shaping up to be a legit ace in the game.

Romero I've had as my #4 for a bit. He started for my WBL team as a 20 yo and has an OK 4.07 ERA over his career. He actually had his second best FIP this year but he never really plays up to his ratings. He makes $6m this season before he gets expensive at $9.5m in 2051. Then he has TOs for 9 and 10m the two years after that. If he continued this production, those would be hard decisions.

Luys Joyce was a welcome addition as a FA. I thought LHPs would do well in my park and he was very good. He was kinda the opposite of what I usually like with a bad movement rating, but he did have a very nice 3.61 ERA as the #5 SP. He's arb-3 this year so I'll gladly sign up for another $3m year.

Finally Nakamura is probably the best SP I've ever had. He dominated finishing 3rd in ERA. He's also signed the next two years at $10m/year.

Relivers wise, Mah had a breakout year. He's finally put it together for a 1.79 ERA with a 11.5 K/9. As long as he keeps his BB/9 under 5, he'll be a very good pitcher. Izo with a 2.91 ERA after a 1.88 last year. He's a FA after this season and I'll have to make a decision on extending him. Ed Weaver had a 2.91 ERA and his control ratings should still get better. He's going to keep the ball in the yard and like Mah is young and about to hit arb-1.

Jabiri at this point is a nice MR who is overpaid. Stone street dominated as a LOOGY and I'll try to get him in FA again in that role. Fritz seemed to "figure it out" as a RP with a 2.55 ERA and great K-rate. Then he got hurt. At a cheap one-year deal, I'd bring him back.

doh

Here are my concerns/wants for the off-season...

1. SS

As of now, I do not have a long term SS in my system. I prefer Velasquez as a 80-90 start guy but I think he could be a solid everyday SS. But even he will be a FA after the year. I need a shortstop just for this year too. I wouldn't hate a one-year deal for Seguin to come back because I think he has one year left to play SS at a moderately good level.

2. LOOGY

As I posted above, I'd love to get Stonestreet to come back as a LOOGY at the right price. If not, the good news is I have Van Der Reijd who I think by the end of this season will be my long-term LOOGY once he gets his control up. I could also look in FA for a one-year solution.

3. Payroll Flexibility

I've already had to pay my big guns in Juarez/Sauce. They get significantly more expensive. Gomez and Inonu are due huge extensions. Romero, Jackson and Colon all get big raises in pay. Weaver/Mah are hitting their first years of arbitration. I need to figure out if I can trade some guys for cheaper/younger players to help because I don't see many minimum salary guys in my system who are ready soon.

4. RP

I think Weaver and Mah are a nice core going forward. But Izo has a year left on his deal. Jabiri is starting to slip. I lose Fritz. So I need to develop a RP soon. I probably need 2 solid RPs to add to my bullpen in FA.

5. FA

Izo, Farid, Velasquez, Joyce, Brito and Sawyer are all FAs at the end of year. All of them are good players (Izo is the only great one) so the question becomes what do I do? Extend? Trade? Walk? I'm thinking in the current economy there is some value in letting guys just go. The risk of signing someone to a bad extension (especially those who are average like my FAs) is worse than the risk of not getting them back. Farid I'll probably let go with Worm about ready. Velasquez will depend on how he plays but I'd let him walk probably. Brito I made the mistake of signing him to a $1m extension and won't do that again.

That leaves Joyce, Sawyer and Izo. Joyce I think I wouldn't mind on a 5+5 TO type deal if he's good again. Solid SP is hard to find and I don't mind $5m on a #5 SP. Sawyer will depend on my system and what is out there. He's good enough to start for a lot of teams and his demands will be hard to judge. Izo is a hard case. I don't want to overpay a RP but he is a very good player. I think he'd be the guy I'd most be likely to trade.

doh

As we are about to hit ST... I've had my least active off-season ever. One signing was a guy I had before at $2m in Fritz. I traded Younker for basically nothing. That's it. I still need another pitcher and would like a SS. I think I'll be able to get a #5 type SP in FA (and move Joyce to the bullpen). But SS? There is one out there I like as a utility player more. I also have my eye on a hitter too to improve my bench and vs. LHP lineup.

The thing I'm banking on most is getting a full year out of Sauce to help offset losing Seguin and Ruiz. I also did have the best run difference in the WBL last year and won 108 games while basically tanking the last three sims. I didn't really need to upgrade my roster as much as I needed to maintain it. I also think Velasquez at SS defensively, a full year of Oversluizen and Inonu/Gomez improving will help as well. Farid, Juarez won't play as well as they did but I'm hoping someone who plays a lot like Sawyer will be better.

The biggest strength I have in terms of improving my roster will be my $30M or so in space. Hopefully I can use it to add on a guy who is overpaid or maybe take on salary and get a pick/prospect to help my gutted farm system. I'm also hoping for a big profit as my budget is projected to go down $16m. I have a lot of key FAs this year so I need that to improve.

doh

I did the roster make up of my 40-man roster... anyone else who wants the analysis on their team let me know.

Where players "spawned"
Original 2033 players - 6
Auto IFAs - 4
Big IFA bonus - 6
Small IFA bonus (under $1m) - 3
1st Round picks - 7
Lower than 1st round - 2
UDFA - 1

How I acquired players
Free Agent - 1
MLFA - 7
UDFA - 0
Draft - 2
Trade - 13
IFA - 6

I have been good with signing MLFA's and have been I imagine more active than most with trades. I rarely have a player drafted and developed in my system. Larry Shaffer is one. Geiler Shulz (who was drafted by the CPU the year before we took over) was the other.
So I think this was the 2044 or 2045 years... here's how it breaks down for my playoff roster:

Where players "spawned"
Auto IFAs - 8
Big IFA bonus - 2
Small IFA bonus (under $1m) - 2
1st Round picks - 6
Lower than 1st round - 6
UDFA - 1

How I acquired players
Free Agent - 3
MLFA - 0
UDFA - 0
Draft - 3
Trade - 16
IFA - 3

4 of my 6 homegrown were pitchers (Colon, Mah, Weaver, Romero)

I've reacquired Farid (1st round pick) and Bogers ($55k IFA) who are two of the better players I've drafted or signed via IFA.

doh

OK so a 108 win season like the year before... my team wasn't as strong RD wise or I thought just overall. I have some clear needs going into next year:

1. Left side of IF

My SS situation last year wasn't good. Neither Velasquez or Rodger Jones was any good. They combined to be about a 0.5 WAR player. I need a new SS badly as I don't have any legit internal options. Oversluizen didn't get it done at 3B either. His defense was good and he hit for power but a below .280 OBP isn't getting it done. I could move McHeshi to 3B, go after a FA or trade for one. But I don't think I can afford another full year of Oversluizen there.

2. Financial flexibility

With the new OOTP16 extensions, salaries... I need to move around some money if I want to keep together my current core. Naka is a FA, Gomez/Inonu are about to get much more expense, Romero has a huge hike in salary, etc. I need to move money around and try and get more efficient. Also some 490k players would help. Of my 25 man as of now, I project just 3 $490k players.

3. Rebuild Bullpen

Needs: LOOGY, dominant RP, long RP. I have just 3 guys in my bullpen currently and nothing in AAA that can step in. The good news is Jabiri was NL RP of the Year last season and Weaver and Mah are young (25) and cheap (both make under $2m). That's a nice start but I want a better LOOGY. I feel like I need another dominant RP and I want to go with a SP into RP project in there too (worked well with GOAT Sutton and Fritz).

4. Restock System

My minor league system at the moment is pretty thin. I have maybe 2-3 RP prospects, 3-4 OF prospects and maybe an IF one. I don't think any are impact players. Do I trade one of my stars and sacrifice 4-5 wins this year for potential in a few years? That's a big question. IT might help extend my window but does it screw up this year in the process is the big question.

5. Spend money

Last year I made $37m with the owner taking $18m back. Leaving $18m on the table is just bad and really hurts me in terms of opportunity cost with IFA as well as taking on additional salary. I need to spend all of my budget this year because leaving money on the table hurts.

doh

And so far the blockbuster of the off-season...

Las Vegas Sends:
RF Alfonso Saucedo (WBL)

False Bay sends:
3B Jaime Repitueira (WBL)
2nd Round pick

I've been looking for a SS for a while and get one in Rep. His SS rating is just 60 there but he also hasn't started a game there in the WBL so there's room to grow even at 26. If he's still just a .710 or so OPS player with 80% SB rate, I will love it and it's a huge upgrade for me. I also like his VH leadership ability. It helps with the clubhouse. I'm hoping he will sign on an extension through his age 30 year.

Sauce took a step back last year. In '49, he had some bad injuries and maybe he's declining a little. My scout thinks his power/contact has gone down a little. I still think he's a 3-4 WAR player (as opposed to 5-6) but the big thing was the $10m difference in salary this year. I wanted to clear out some space.

Signed SP Tanyu Nakamura to a 4-year, $103m extension

The big thing for me with extensions now will be to limit the amount of years. This is a 3yr deal with a TO for a fourth and takes Naka through his age 33 year (with TO for 34). It's a bit of a risk with him with his injury history and my scout saw little losses in control and movement for him last update, but I do think he will continue to be an elite SP. He led Varsity in Ks and WAR last year and I structured the contract to have the biggest hit of $28m in the first year.

I'm hoping he stays healthy and good or I just got a really expensive LOOGY.

Signed Dermott McHeshi to a 3-year, $35m contract extension

This is a total legacy move as it probably would've been smarter to see how McHeshi plays this year then give the deal. I still think he's a very good player... but he's gone from best in the league in CF to just plain really good. Batting wise he did put up a nice .816 OPS but that was fueled by .336 BABIP. The good news is though that his BABIP career number is .325. Either way, he's signed through his age 34 season with a TO for 35.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I like that you are keeping McHeshi. Prob need one more 2 with a third year option for the retirement contract.

doh

I'm hoping he isn't completely broken down by the end of his extension. I've feared a really bad decline over one year because of his injury history but the VH work ethic I think will help him.

doh

So not really any trades this off-season... a late run on pitchers for me in FA:

Signed RHRP F. Altagarcia to a one-year, $1m contract

I've been looking for a #6 SP/cheap long guy. Didn't really have any guys in AAA I was comfortable with in that position. Basically pure filler.

Signed LHRP C Stonestreet to a one-year, $1m contract

Had him a few years ago and he was great for me as a LOOGY. I think his 70 stuff will play and the low movement he has will be great in my park.

Signed LHRP Yannick Bogers to a one-year, $5m contract with a $5m team option

Bogers came on as a LOOGY for the playoffs/RP in the regular season last year. He wanted 3/20 from me, I was able to get him down to 3/15 but decided to let him walk in the hopes I could get the years or money down. I think the plan will be the same. He's a MR in the regular season then if I make the playoffs, he'll be a LOOGY.

Signed C Robert Maurice to a one-year, $5m contract

This is a bit of an odd deal. I had money to burn but I'm also pretty much set at C with Larking/Delfino. I decided to get Maurice because I think I needed another batter vs. LHP and Maurice (with a 4.5 WAR last year) was a good value. An extra bat never hurts and he will DH vs. LHP probably and get a few starts vs. RHP.

Signed RHSP Jose Rivas to a one-year, $11.5m contract

This was probably my most important signing. With the Mega sweepstakes going on, I kept my eye on him in that I needed another SP and was hoping he wouldn't sign. I am interested to see how he does. RH pitchers are hurt by my park and his movement/stuff aren't high but I haven't really ever had a strike thrower like him. He led the WBL in BB/9 last year. I'm hoping he can pitch like a #3/4 and is good enough to start a playoff game. I wish I was able to attach a TO but from my offers to him seemed like he didn't want one.

Signed RHRP Izo Kitamura to a one-year, $5.5m contract

Izo is back after another disastrous playoffs. Way less than he wanted from me. I'm thinking about him not pitching in the playoffs this time around but just pitching regular season.

doh

First update in about 5 months... Looking into my off-season moves. OF course the biggest moves I made were 10-5'd by Dean Juarez and Francisco Rojas. I really liked both deals and felt like they made me better now/in the future. Unfortunately both were spoiled.

I went into the off-season looking to turn over my roster a bit. I haven't changed my lineup much over the last 3 years. I wanted to get better defensively and improve my bench too. First the trades

Las Vegas sends:
LF Sammy Kelly (WBL)

Cairo sends:
C Freek Schneider (A)
2B Gileese Pauncefort (AA)

I wanted to move Kelly because I didn't like his defense enough. It was hard to move him and I got an OK return. Freek is a back up type C. Pauncefort has a chance but I need to convert him to SS for him to have more value.

Miami sends:

SP Robbie Marijnissen WBL
LF Jari Kievit WBL

Las Vegas sends:

RP Can Son (AA)
OF Niek Ploeg (AA)
RP Brad Martin (AA)
C Fernando Zacorias (A)
C Oliver Docking (I)
CF Jorge Barbosa WBL
RP Carlos Velez WBL
RP Wes Buckley (AAA)

This was the big move. Kievit I hope can be a solid 2.5-3 WAR player for a few years. His D is a little better than Kelly's but he's 3 years younger which I like. Mary Jane I was hoping would give me the best playoff rotation/rotation period in the game. I think I have it. I also got him as insurance in case Naka/Campbell/Colon got hurt or fell off a cliff.

Ploeg I think will be a great hitter. Not sure about his D but he will hit. Can Son is going to be a dominant RP. One of the 10 best in the league. They were my best two prospects and I'll miss them. Martin is about a year away from being a good RP. Good 7th inning guy. Zacorias/Docking are dark horse guys. They can hit but don't appear to have tools to catch. IF they just become 50 DEF guys, they'll be good WBL players but that's a ways away.

I'll miss Barbosa and Velez. Barbosa is a real good #4OF/DR/PR which I value. I think Velez will be a very solid #4-5 SP. I was looking forward to slotting him in there for the next couple years when he was at the minimum. Buckley has 80 control and nothing else.

Las Vegas sends:
3B Wijnand de Beeled AA

Istanbul sends:
C Nicky Suter -AAA

Pretty simple trade. Suter is a good defensive player and RH so he pairs well with Parea to form a cheap, good defensive C platoon.

Lisbon sends:
SS Luis Macias (WBL)

Las Vegas:
RP Guilhem Corradini (WBL)

I wish Macias was a better defender but he can hit and will be my utility guy (and potentially take over for McHeshi at 3B next year). He can slide in for any injuries too which is huge.

Corradini wasn't great as a SP but I think has potential to be a really good RP in the league.

Signed LOOGY Adrian Alonso to a one-year, $1m contract

Using the player finder, this was a guy I really wanted. I value stuff/movement way more than control is this is a pure stuff/movement guy. Being a LHP means I think he will dominant LH hitters. He will basically get a one year tryout.

Signed LHP Reginaldo Felitti to a one-year, $925k contract

I bring the Italian home after trading him in 2043 as part of the Mason Fazackerly package. He's been a very mediocre SP over his career but now I am betting that he will be more effective as a RP. Also with the trading of Velez (and then Corrdarini), I needed an organizational #6 SP for my eventual SP injury. If Alonso isn't good, I can make him my LOOGY. Just a nice bargain for him to various things if I need him to. He starts out as mop up man.

Signed RHP Patrico Roviva to a one-year, $3m contract with $5m team option

I needed a good RP and this was the one I liked the most between price, age and years. I think he will be fine for me. One thing he's never really had is a good defense since 2047 (when he had his best ERA), so I'm banking my defense will help him out.

Signed DH Scott Bell to a one-year, $8.5m contract with $6m TO

Well this signing was key to me. Along with Macias and Suter, this really improves my bench. It gives me two good PHs. I'll try to have Bell start at 1B every 20 games, C every 15 and DH every 15 or so. The only thing I hate about this deal is he had huge declines in ratings when OSA and my scout came out with their new ratings. I put on the OT in case I don't re-sign Juarez and Bell has a good year. But the contact decline from 60 to 50 and power from 70 to 60 are killers to Bell. I hope he can have a year as my super PH/DH back up like Aguilar did when he had an OPS near 1.000 in 2052. The other thing is if I had injuries in places, I can put Juarez at LF/RF or Bell at 1B and move people around to get another bat in the lineup.

doh

So just updating this on the rebuild.... thought it was the right time to blow it up for both talent and financial reasons. My main strategy through it all has mostly been to get as much value as I can and sell off every little thing I can for anything.

After going 103+ wins six straight years, my team was fading quick last year. I felt like I needed to trade away assets before they became nothing. I had some key FAs I wanted to get something for. I also believed that I would need to continue to make good trades/sign good FAs to stay in the playoff hunt. My system was almost completely barren and without extra picks or financial space to go big in IFA, there were issues in having capital to make trades. The final reason was for whatever reason, I felt like last year's trading market gave a ton of value to sellers.

Financials wise, I wanted to rebuild before my budget started to go down. I felt like with my $100m+ in space last year, I could go huge in IFA. I also wanted to completely clear the books to allow flexibility.

As far as players, I did obviously (as does everyone else) wanted to get some "impact" potential great players. I also wanted to give some 4A guys 400-500 ABs and see what they got. In addition, I wanted some solid regulars in the 22-24 range that I could give some experience to before I try to win again. I also wanted to scour the waiver wire, MLFAs as well for some guys who might be OK.

Overall, I think it's going well. I didn't love IFA last year but had to spend everything. I'm in good position to go huge again in the off-season after next.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
The final reason was for whatever reason, I felt like last year's trading market gave a ton of value to sellers.

Yep, when you look at all of the pieces I got from the trades I did last year and what people got this year for comparable talent it's hard not to see that last year was an aberration for sellers.

doh

Here are the trades that I made and some analysis:

Las Vegas sends:
SS Jaime Repertira (WBL)

Seoul sends:
1st Rd pick
1B Gungor Cosar (AA)

This is really what got it going. I got a great pick for Rep-- SS Naji who I just promoted to AA. I absolutely love him as someone who should be a dominant defensive SS and just with an OK OPS would be a 3+ WAR guy. Originally, I made this deal with the idea of upgrading defensively at SS but this was a nice start.

Las Vegas sends:

SP Dani Sanchez (WBL)
SP Mary Jane (WBL)

Dublin sends:

SP Van Ouden (AAA)
3B Ken Coleman (AAA)
CF Gerrie Post (IC)
SS Jurg Somers (A)
'57 1st

This was the official white flag trade. Mary Jane had been dominant as the best SP in Varsity last year and Dani had a top 5 ERA at that point.

As for the haul, it isn't as good as what I gave up to get Mary Jane. But I think Van Ouden fits into my team as a very nifty 3rd/4th best RP in a good bullpen. Coleman was exactly what I wanted to try out: a 4A guy who is blocked and old but might have a chance to be a nice 2-3 WAR guy. He got off to a great start this year and has cooled but I like him especially as a SH solid defensive 3B. He won't hurt me at $490k and fills a need at age 27-29 years with the minimum. I don't think he's a star but he's not going to hurt me.

Somers is the highest upside guy. Although I think he's probably a UTIL at this point for me which is fine. LH hitter is a huge plus in my park/this league. Post is a wild card OF. The 1st is out there and just an asset I'll probably flip at some point.

Las Vegas sends
C Francisco Rojas (WBL)
RP Jorge Martinez (WBL)
RF Gonzalo Castillo (WBL)
cash needed

Helsinborg sends:
2nd Round pick
RP Matt Backhouse (AAA)
Georges Millot (A)
This was cashing in 3 FAs for the best I could get. Backhouse is IMO a nice 7th/8th inning guy. Millot is another high potential MIF which I've got a nice collection of.

Vegas Sends:
1B Besium Inonu
SP Reginaldo Felitti
RP Patricio 'Sugar Bear' Rovivia
(wbl)

Istanbul Sends:
2054 1st
SP Albert Astorias(AAA)
SP Dimcali Aguhob(A)

I didn't love trading Inonu but I felt like at 30 and owed 3 more years at a big contract, I had to trade him for as much as I could. A lot of it was Felitti/Rovivia were both FAs. I love Astroias as the perfect #4/5 SP for my ballpark. He's been exactly what I thought this year. He's also young/still in his first year so he's going to be cheap for a while. My system desperately needs pitching prospects and I'm hoping LHP Aguhob can be help. He's had stats that are better than his StaRRzZZ so far.

Miami sends:

LV 2055 1st
FB 2054 2nd
Cesar "Trucker" Israel 3B (AA)

Las Vegas sends:

Ti-An Mah CL (WBL)

This wasn't a trade I thought I'd make but it'd have to be great value for me to trade Mah. I wanted him to be in Vegas for life. He had been the best RP in the NL over the course of his career, but at 29 - even with a great deal- I felt like he could've had a bit of a slide by the time he was 32 and I was competing again. The biggest thing was getting my '55 1st round pick back that I lost in an earlier which I needed back.

Las Vegas sends:
2B Enrique Gomez (WBL)

False Bay sends:
2B Duane Langille (WBL)
3rd overal pick
2057 2nd
P Manuel Sanchez (A)

My first major trade of the off-season. I thought Gomez could still be great for me on a team friendly contract, but at 26 and me believing maybe he peaked early, I wanted to trade him away. The 3rd overall pick really was the by far biggest piece. Langille was nice to have to trade later. The 2nd is just added value and Sanchez is just a throw in.

UK sends:
2-7 2055
Steve Shafer, RP, A

Las Vegas sends:
Anthony Moore, RP, WBL
Ed Weaver, RP, WBL

Weaver is a great RP but hurt a lot. Moore is very average but still cheap. The 2nd will be in this draft.

Las Vegas sends
Campbell
Amsterdam sends
2055 2/5

Mostly was about dumping the salary of Campbell and getting some value back. I was happy to get something back for him without having attach a ton of money. I think OU got a great deal too in terms of Campbell is still very good. I also argue that his deal is much cheaper than what he would've gotten as a FA.

Kabul sends:

Seouls 2055 1st
Kabul 2056 1st

Las Vegas sends:

Jari kievit - WBL
Las Vegas 2055 2nd

Kievit is another guy who I didn't have to trade. But I think he had a great year with me and the value time was right to sell. I don't like deals for draft picks but this was the best offer I got. Part of the reason I wanted to trade Jari was I wanted to build a team with a great defense and his defense would always be OK.

Lisbon sends

Jimmy Lewis
Corradini
Britton

for

Las Vegas sends:

German

I liked German as a defense first SS who could be a solid hitter. Lewis was exactly what I was looking for: a 4A guy who kills AAA and just give him a chance to see what he can do. Corrodini I wish I never traded in the first place. His low stamina makes it so he can't be a great SP but I think he can be a top 5 CL in the league and has been awesome as a RP this year.

Miami sends:
2055 1-2
Garland McIlrath SP (AAA)
Jerry Carter CL (A)
Terry Ford RP (WBL, should be DFA after this sim)

Las Vegas sends:
2055 1-LV (1-8?)
2055 2-Miami
Francisco Colon SP (WBL)

This was an interesting deal. I think Colon can still be good but he was my final player owed a lot of money and he has decline a little so I was scared of him becoming a bad contract. It was mostly about getting into the top 2 in a draft that IMO has two elite elite players then a huge drop off. The one time I had the 3rd overall, I had a similar situation and didn't want it again. The price of a 2nd and 8th overall was steep. I really like Ford as a LOOGY. Overall, this was about 2nd overall pick and getting to clear all the salary I had left.

Buffalo sends:
2055 Helsingborg 3rd round pick

Las Vegas sends:
Ron Robinson (SS - WBL)

I like Robinson but wanted to move him in order to let the better hitting (but worse fielding) Pauncefoot at SS for as many reps as possible before Naji is called up.

Berlin sends:
SP Parker Gordon (WBL)
1-1

Las Vegas sends:
1-3
1B Gorgino Maggallanes (WBL-DFA)
RP Mack Backhouse (WBL-DFA)
Amsterdam 2nd
Conditional future 2nd (if Gordon re-signs)

This trade was all about Midnight Toaster as a GOAT potential #1 overall pick. The price was quite steep as I moved a 2nd, 3rd overall and two vey solid players at the minimum. I wish Gordon would talk because I've been after him a long time and would love him in my rotation.

Las Vegas sends:
RP Rafael Munoz (WBL)

Istanbul sends:
2B Wilbur Holden (AAA)

Holden is another 4A guy who deserves 400-500 ABs to see what he can do. He's been insanely good (2 WAR in 30 games) and will settle down but I'm hoping he's a solid 2B at the minimum for me which would be great.

Las Vegas sends:
2B Duane Langille (WBL)

North Dakota sends:
4th Round pick
Peace

I think Langille a lot but with him being a FA this was the best I could get.

Las Vegas sends:
Helsingborg 3rd Round Pick
SP Parker Gordon (WBL)

Seoul sends:
2nd Round pick

Had some teams in on Gordon but the best I could do was moving up 25 spots in the draft. Think he's worth a lot more and wish he would've re-signed but this is all I could get.

Las Vegas sends:
$2m

Amsterdam sends:
SP Francisco Gutierrez (WBL)

I think Guti can still be a solid WBL player and with $92m in space next year heading into this trade (and no ability to IFA), I thought a year of Guti at $11m is worth a gamble and that amount of space.

doh

Yep, when you look at all of the pieces I got from the trades I did last year and what people got this year for comparable talent it's hard not to see that last year was an aberration for sellers.
I was quite surprised by some of the hauls I got as someone who has tried to sell players before. That was part of the reason I decided last year to just sell as much as I could.

Thinking out loud with my strategy for next year....

As of now,I have about $85m in space after non-tenders and DFA's that I anticipate (and with Guti contract). I think my draft will be very expensive with the #1 and #2 overall picks needing about $15m plus another 1st and an extra 2nd. With some of that built into the draft expenses, I still think it'll be about $15m over which puts my space probably around $70m.

So I will be looking for a) expensive players on other teams who are still good and taking them on for cheap/nothing like Guti. b) Any FAs who I can front load a deal with. The perfect example is the Dean Juarez deal with UK. That's exactly how I would like to set up a FA deal (although the class is pretty weak). Also Would like to try and grab any elite International Pro FAs. c) Bonuses for any MLFAs I see that I like.

Heading into next year, I feel like my IF is fairly set as is DH. I've been happy with Batty, McHeshi, Abrahamson as guys who can fill in at DH next year. Catcher, I wold like to pair a good RH catcher with LH Perea to form a cheap perspective.

My OF is a disaster though and that's where I would plug some guys in. I don't like any of my current players as options except Bourquin as a backup and vs. LHP starter. Seeing not really any elite FAs, I may have to try to find overpriced guys people will give away/trade cheap.

The biggest challenge will be SP. I think Astroias/Guti is a nice start. Leon Lopez doesn't kill me as a #5SP. But it's lacking star #1-#2 types. I'd like to go after Romero and Gordon if they become FAs.

The one place I feel really good is bullpen. I love Corradini as an elite CL and Van Den Ouden is a very good RP. Terry Ford as a LOOGY and Nippard as a long RP/#6 SP which leaves just about 3 spots I'd have to fill.

The big challenge for me is that my reinforcements are almost all 2-3 years away. I would rather try to go for huge, short contracts and attempt to win now/keep the budget and FI up with filler than continue to tank for the extra 4-5 spots in a draft. I also believe it is possible to build a 85-88 win team then try for some upgrades in season when teams fall out to get that extra playoff push. The key will be getting guys without mortgaging the future financially or prospects wise.

TonyGin&Juice

The issue you're going to run into is with the pitching. Attempt to develop them in-house and you've got to get lucky (read: no major injuries), buy them in FA where it's a massive overpays or getting lucky with the market falling apart. IFAs and the draft are good options but look at how ridiculous the "talented" IFA guys got bid up last year and how shitty the drafts have been and you're depending on a ton of luck.

doh

The issue you're going to run into is with the pitching. Attempt to develop them in-house and you've got to get lucky (read: no major injuries), buy them in FA where it's a massive overpays or getting lucky with the market falling apart. IFAs and the draft are good options but look at how ridiculous the "talented" IFA guys got bid up last year and how shitty the drafts have been and you're depending on a ton of luck.
My philosophy has always been you can mask average pitching by having good defense and going after guys who don't give up a ton of HRs. I think if I can find a few right guys and get a great defensive OF to go along with a solid defensive IF, I can finish 4th/5th in runs which would be my target. But I will need some really good defensive OFs to do this (particularly at CF)

TonyGin&Juice

But I will need some really good defensive OFs to do this (particularly at CF)

Why do you think I overpaid for Eric de Keizer last year? His ratings aren't where they should be but he should be a legit CF for years to come, even if his bat never develops. He could easily die but with him in CF and a platoon of Freddy Lara and Jose Hernandez in RF with Niek Ploeg holding down LF all I need to do is find pitchers that can keep the ball down. It's really too bad there are zero defensive catching prospects out there.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
My philosophy has always been you can mask average pitching by having good defense and going after guys who don't give up a ton of HRs. I think if I can find a few right guys and get a great defensive OF to go along with a solid defensive IF, I can finish 4th/5th in runs which would be my target. But I will need some really good defensive OFs to do this (particularly at CF)
I dunno man. You traded for some of the top pitchers in the league.

doh

Well I had to make an alternate ending...

Pac Men Fans Empty Out Stadium

While officially Monday's 6-4 walk off win over Helsingborg is listed as 36,462 for attendance, by the time the first pitch was thrown, Pac Men Ballpark in Las Vegas was empty.

Angry Pac Men fans organized a walk-out of the game in protest of the trading of Las Vegas legend Dermott McHeshi. The South African was originally a UDFA but became the key cog in Vegas leading the team to the 2045 World Series title and is the all-time leader in every offensive category for the Pac Men.

The protest started after a tweet from Pac Man GM Doh Smith: "Thank You Dermott McHeshi, you are the GOAT of the Sin City. #TYDM"

On the fan message board "The Aracade", commenters started to get angry and the talk of protest began. By gametime, fans were picketing around the stadium and people were wearing "McHeshi 45" jerseys and shirtsies were seen pissing on the statue Doh had erected in front of the year.

There was also a banner flown over the stadium with "Fire Doh Smith. We <3 DM. One Ship in 20 years #TYDM".

GM Smith was not at the game and couldn't be reached for comment. He was however seen playing craps on O'Sheas on the strip and incoherent at gametime (7:05 local) downing Blue Moons. An internet video did surface of him saying, "Fuck DERMOTT.. I MADE THIS TEAM" while being escorted off the premises for being over served.

Owner Jose Nunez had no comment. He simply said "We need better results or I could see a @Gooksta taking this GM position over."

However... word early Tuesday morning from Medford, Oregon changed things a bit. Dermott McHeshi elected to use his 10/5 rights.

At Bally's at around 2:00 AM, a security video shows a now belligerent Doh breaking bottles at a bar before being taken away in handcuffs.

There's no word from Nunez as of this printing whether Doh will be suspended.

doh

McHeshi Back in Las Vegas

From salary dump to potential savior.

The Dermott McHeshi Story.

GM Doh Smith announced late last night McHeshi is back in Las Vegas. A week after exercising his 10/5 rights, McHeshi is back in the WBL thanks in large part to the total uselessness of Jason James/Freddy Lara but also thanks to blistering start in AAA with 7 HR in 70 AB.

"Most guys would've just packed it but DM has been a model citizen," said Smith at the Pac Men's HQ on the 45th floor of the Wynn. "I was wrong."

Pressure on social media grew to enormous levels with #FireDohSmith and #FreeDM trending on twitter.

In his first plate appearance back, McHeshi hit a pinch hit RBI double in the 7th in a win at Lisbon. #FreeDM was the number one topic worldwide on Twitter.

The pressure continues to increase on Doh as rumors of @Gooksta sending in his application for the LV GM job at least five times heat up.

Owner Jose Nunez did not speak to the media. He's currently under investigation for allegations of major drug and hooker use at the Westgate.

doh

BREAKING NEWS

Gooksta Hired as Senior Assistant GM

After sending in his application to Las Vegas owner Jose Nunez multiple times, GM Doh has decided to hire Gooksta as Senior Assistant GM. The former Key West GM is in charge of the draft and minor league operations. He will also be consulted on with major league moves.

"Yeah, I don't really give a shit about the draft and minor leaguers... I only concern myself with the big leagues. Wait, other people are on this line?," said Doh during the conference call right before the phone was hung up.

"You look at the track record of Las Vegas with developing players and drafting, and it hasn't been good," said Nunez from his 5 room, $20,000 per night suite in the Wynn. "I'm sick of paying 34-year old starting pitchers $31 million. Who the hell does that? I need some minimum guys and Doh has sucked at that. Gooksta kept on sending in his resume and calling and honestly, I got sick of it so I gave the guy a job."

Gooksta led Key West to the playoffs six times in his 14 years. He made a very controversial decision to blow up a 3-time South League Champion squad in 2042 and went from 97 wins to 66. After a never ending rebuild, Gooksta stepped aside as Tony Montana took the 2052 World Championship with a team that Gooksta built.

The talent evaluation and team construction impressed Doh and Nunez. They were especially impressed by the attention to detail in the minors.

Doh: "Truth is I haven't had a pitch count on anyone ever because that takes too long to do. It's boring. So the fact that Gooksta is able to do that... it's admirable. It's paying attention to the details. We don't do that."

"I'm happy to sign on with Las Vegas. I love poker. I love strip clubs. I love tits," said Gooksta. "Oh and I guess I'll do some work while I'm here too."

Gooksta originally had sent his application during a time of fan backlash against Doh during the Dermott McHeshi controversy.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Dog's not quitting it sounds like, but if he does sooner is ahead of gooksta

doh

I didn't quit... I'm just having Gooksta do the draft (since I auto after third round) and minors (since I don't do PC's and Gooksta is the master) plus talk with him about trades and stuff...

Thought it'd be interesting and could produce some funny stuff but if it's not allowed then no asst GM?