• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

MSU and Larry Nassar

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
At least the students can be proud that the school newspaper is the reason this got out. Once again, the students are the ones doing the right things and not the administration.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
He was a basketball corch, but point stands

They're on the same level as Counter Strike YouTubers

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Yeah, I misspoke. I meant to actually generalize even more to include pretty much all (men's) high profile college sports corches, ESPECIALLY in the B1G.

This story is about what Colorado's youth hockey governing body is addressing the problem of abuse. The association featured in the attached article is the organisation that my son and I are playing/coaching for. :thumbsup:

worst2first

It's the same thing with teachers. I only enter student restrooms in emergencies and avoid being alone with a student in my classroom.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
To keep urself from absusing them?

OX8Klfo.gif

Skeeter

Uber felon
Of course I know why he does it . It's to protect hisself from a false allegation. My point was it's not like the hockey league at all. The hockey league has this rule to protect kids from predatory coaches.

Worst saying it's the same implies he's a predator. Mr. Madpants appears to have recognized the juxtaposition even if he didn't like the application.

Of course I know why he does it . It's to protect hisself from a false allegation. My point was it's not like the hockey league at all. The hockey league has this rule to protect kids from predatory coaches.

Worst saying it's the same implies he's a predator. Mr. Madpants appears to have recognized the juxtaposition even if he didn't like the application.
giphy.gif

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I am sort of on @Skeeter's side here. Which is painful for me on a personal level, but hear me out. You might take away crimes of opportunity by taking away these situations, but determined sexual predators will find a way. Remember that Sandusky faced virtually no consequences from McQueary walking in him raping a child until a year later. Nassar abused patients with their parents in the room.

I think the stuff that the Colorado hockey organization is doing is well intentioned but misguided. I think a better approach would be to ensure that people, including children and parents, are educated about sexual abuse and the signs of sexual abuse. That story I posted had a quote from the mom where she had a thought that Nassar had sexually abused her daughter. What if she understood sexual abuse better and was more empowered to report it?

The other part of it is breaking down the power structures that enable predators to go unnoticed. I'm looking at you, US Gymnastics, MSU, and PSU. The people in those places wanted to protect their organizations instead of protecting humans. We need to, as a society, realize that our duty is to our fellow human beings than the faceless organizations we belong to. It's hard to break down loyalty to say, OSU, to pull an example out of nowhere, but it can be done. Maybe we need to redefine success for organizations to helping other people instead of how much profits or how many wins the organization can get. US Gymnastics is a great example of this. It has produced hundreds of amazing women, which should be lauded more than the gold medals its collected. Not that it's bad to celebrate both, necessarily, but US Gymnastics sacrificed those women in the pursuit of winning.

(And this is what I was doing instead of writing my performance evaluation :laughing: )

I think the stuff that the Colorado hockey organization is doing is well intentioned but misguided. I think a better approach would be to ensure that people, including children and parents, are educated about sexual abuse and the signs of sexual abuse.

So would it be safe to assume that your understanding of the Colorado hockey organization's approach is limited to the blurb I shared and maybe the article linked? I ask because educating parents and kids (and coaches) about sexual abuse and the signs of sexual abuse is exactly what we spent hours doing this past weekend. In addition, the presenter addressed many relevant issues such as not elevating/glorifying coaches, the reluctance of victims to report abuse and what signs to look for, the importance of reporting crimes to the police in addition to the hockey association, the need to report policy exceptions (which may not be criminal) to the governing organization (local associations and the state organization), mandatory reporting requirements of coaches, how not to be manipulated into covering for offenders because of fear the hockey-related consequences, etc. We also discussed the precautions that I highlighted in that initial blurb from the article which were not intended to be read as the only aspect of the program.

Everyone involved knows that the program is not a 100% insurance that misconduct won't occur, but rather provides a framework to help prevent abuse, but if abuse occurs, it provides the necessary reporting structure to address the problem without being bamboozled by the idea of protecting the coach, the organization, etc.

The woman who runs the entire Colorado program is a forensic interviewer with 4000+ interviews conducted, she is a recognized expert in the field (nationally) having testified in dozens of criminal cases across the US, and she helped found one of the leading child advocacy centers in the state.

Nevertheless, thanks for the hot take. :thumbsup:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
So would it be safe to assume that your understanding of the Colorado hockey organization's approach is limited to the blurb I shared and maybe the article linked? I ask because educating parents and kids (and coaches) about sexual abuse and the signs of sexual abuse is exactly what we spent hours doing this past weekend. In addition, the presenter addressed many relevant issues such as not elevating/glorifying coaches, the reluctance of victims to report abuse and what signs to look for, the importance of reporting crimes to the police in addition to the hockey association, the need to report policy exceptions (which may not be criminal) to the governing organization (local associations and the state organization), mandatory reporting requirements of coaches, how not to be manipulated into covering for offenders because of fear the hockey-related consequences, etc. We also discussed the precautions that I highlighted in that initial blurb from the article which were not intended to be read as the only aspect of the program.

Everyone involved knows that the program is not a 100% insurance that misconduct won't occur, but rather provides a framework to help prevent abuse, but if abuse occurs, it provides the necessary reporting structure to address the problem without being bamboozled by the idea of protecting the coach, the organization, etc.

The woman who runs the entire Colorado program is a forensic interviewer with 4000+ interviews conducted, she is a recognized expert in the field (nationally) having testified in dozens of criminal cases across the US, and she helped found one of the leading child advocacy centers in the state.

Nevertheless, thanks for the hot take. :thumbsup:

Seriously, though, that's really awesome. Should have read the article before I spouted off.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I've been involved and exposed to more child sex abuse investigations than I ever care to talk about on here, but the main point that needs to be disseminated to the parents is that people molesting your kids are not the creepy strangers in the panel van. They are your uncles, your corches, your teachers, your priests, your scout leaders, your parents, your boyfriend etc. It is the people you freely give access to your children without a second thought.

All the parents I talk to are so consumed with the stranger danger shit. Seems to be a waste of time really. It would be like training your kid to prepare to defend against a terrorist attack. More time should be spent teaching young children when and where someone should touch them and to feel comfortable speaking up about it no matter what the scumbag threatened them with. They feel shame about it most of the time, because our society is so sexually repressed, and then they keep their mouth shut and keep getting molested.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Stranger danger lol. Sounds like ma'inlaws. Always worried about the wrong things and incredibly cavalier about actual risks.

There was an incident of abuse at a local hockey club that was the catalyst for the development of this program at the club level, and eventually at the state level. The coach in question had been inappropriate with a dozen kids. Half of those kids and their parents came forward and reported it after the initial discovery. The other half kept it quiet because they didn't want to disrupt little Johnny's hockey career. Parents are the absolute fucking worst.

Skeeter

Uber felon
That's great stuff Irishman. Limiting the ability for abusers to get away with it is a fantastic program.

The hard thing with pawpaw's story is that you can't go through life helicoptering over your child and never trusting anyone. You have to be able to trust people at some point that they aren't going to rape your child.

I think that's a false dichotomy. There's a lot of middle ground between excessive helicopter parenting on one side and the Karolyi Ranch/Larry Nassar on the other.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I never said to helicopter over your kids. If you want to spend time preparing your kid for the world, spend less time warning of stranger danger and more time making them feel comfortable talking to you and helping them to understand what is and isn't proper contact between an adult and a child.

I just said don't trust someone because they are a corch or priest and don't be shocked when that's who fucks ur kid. Ohhhh so it wasn't the creepy guy like Tim Curry on Criminal Minds???!!

EXYAfDA.jpg

CJ_24

Well, I think we can all agree that children should never be allowed near Tim Curry under any circumstances.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Completed the SafeSport training so I can officiate USA Field Hockey sanctioned events. It was all common sense stuff which means 90% of the coaches in :ohio:, :oklahoma:, :onlyinthesouth: would not pass. :thumbsup: