• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

NCAA Basketball And Clownzano Twitter Aggregation Thread

bruin

BiDtUPPCAAEw9q2.jpg:large

Chase

Looking like ACC champs/Villanova/Wisconsin will get the 4th one seed after another bad Jayhawks loss. Which also means that Wichita State/Kansas would be a lock for the 1-2 seeds in the Midwest.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Parker would have 40 if he wasn't hidden on the baseline and the corner in this offense.

Orangebird

Premier League Champs
Maryland wins their final regular season ACC game v. #5 Virginia. Finally beat a ranked team after coming so close v. Cuse and Duke.

Chase

Green Bay lost last night, would have been a 12. Vermont (15-1 in the AEast) is down 15 on a true road game to Albany. Would have been a 13 seed. Lets hope SFA and La Tech can win their conference tourneys.

Chase

1's. Florida, Arizona, Wichita State, Villanova
2's. Wisconsin, Kansas, Michigan, Duke
3's. Virginia, Syracuse, Creighton, Cincy
4's. Louisville, Iowa State, San Diego State, North Carolina
5's. Michigan State, Oklahoma, Saint Louis, UCLA
6's. UMass, VCU, UConn, Ohio State
7's. Texas, New Mexico, Kentucky, Oregon
8's. Memphis, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Gonzaga
9's. SMU, K-State, Iowa, George Washington
10s. Arizona State, Stanford, Xavier, Nebraska
11s. St Joe's, Colorado, BYU, Pitt
12s. Dayton, Tennessee, Arkansas, Harvard, La Tech, North Dakota State
13s. S.F. Austin, Iona, Georgia State, UC Irvine
14s. Buffalo, NC Central, Mercer, Delaware
15s. Stony Brook, Davidson, BostonU, Wright State
16s. Eastern Kentucky, Robert Morris, Weber State, Utah Valley, Coastal Carolina, Alabama State

Last 4: Pitt, Dayton, Tennessee, Arkansas
First 4: Providence, Minnesota, Cal, St John's
Others: Southern Miss, Florida State, Georgetown, Utah, WVU

Chase

It's going to be all about the matchups but Mercer could be just like FGCU. All of my projected 3 seeds sans Creighton have trouble scoring, which is a huge problem come tourney time.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I like State to make a run in the ACC based on TJ Warren alone. Dude is a on a serious tear and if he were to not win ACC Player of the Year tomorrow it would be a tragedy.

Carolina Blue

I like State to make a run in the ACC based on TJ Warren alone. Dude is a on a serious tear and if he were to not win ACC Player of the Year tomorrow it would be a tragedy.

TJ should, but I think that Parker will end up winning the award. What Warren has done over the past several games is incredible.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
Doing my first bracket @ work. I'm like the commish... what do I need to know to make it fair/fun? Can a mod add a bracket?

CBS sports btw

Last edited:

Chase

Embiid out for the Big 12 tourney and 'at least' until the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tourney, if Kansas makes it that far. Reeks of Phil E Moose to me.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yes to all of this: http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/march/tv-timeouts-in-college-basketball-are-just-the-worst.html

At the risk of writing a populist rant that is patently obvious to even the most casual college basketball fans, something needs to be said.
TV timeouts are ruining college basketball.
During a 40 minute game, there are 8 mandatory television timeouts coming at the first stoppage under the 16, 12, 8, and 4 minute mark of each half. Why are there so many TV timeouts in college basketball? Advertisers pay networks. Networks pay the NCAA and its conferences. More timeouts means more commercials means more money for everybody involved. Well, at least everyone but the players.
What, you thought TV timeouts were for the benefit of the student-athlete? Please.
Angst over television timeouts is nothing new. Why, NCAA coaches were expressing frustrations over the breaks in play as far back as the 1960s. And especially during the NCAA Tournament when the commercial breaks are longer and the ad dollars more lucrative, complaints over the number of timeouts rise annually.
To see the impact of television timeouts on a college basketball broadcast, I studied the UCLA-Washington game from last Thursday night that was still on my DVR so I can enjoy the sounds of Bill Walton throughout the offseason.
In a span of 1:37 in the first half, there were three separate commercial breaks thanks to a UCLA timeout, a Washington timeout, and a mandatory television timeout.
At one point in the second half after the first mandatory TV timeout, Washington took a timeout when failing to get the ball in bounds. Back to back commercial breaks happened with the ball not even being in play! That's even worse than the dreaded touchdown-commercial-touchback-commercial sequence that dooms NFL games. At least in those instances you're actually seeing one football-related play.
All totaled, there were 14 timeouts taken during a 40 minute game.
The total commercial time was 19:09 during the first and second half. Almost an entire half's worth of commercials alone. This does not include the 15 minute halftime and time spent on feature stories going in and out of commercial by ESPN and other stoppages in play. If you add in all of those minutes and seconds, you're watching far more non-basketball related things than basketball itself in a typical telecast.
And if you think TV timeouts are bad enough watching on television, it's exponentially worse in person. The massive number of timeouts make the game unbearable at the arena. Every time the game begins to develop a rhythm, it's brought to a screeching halt by a TV or coach's timeout. It's brutal. By the fourth TV timeout, you've run out of conversation with your pal and left to hopelessly try to tap into the arena's severely overloaded WiFi to check Twitter or e-mail or Words With Friends. It's perhaps the worst in-stadium experience in sports if you're not a drunk college student. There's only so many times you can be entertained by the dance team and cheerleaders passing out pizza boxes to people sitting courtside.
Do you know why more people are gravitating towards soccer? There are no timeouts and more importantly, no commercials during the action. Do you know what's great about playoff overtime hockey? No timeouts. No commercials. It's amazing how a lack of commercials and an increase in flow helps your product and makes it much more exciting.
What can the NCAA do to fix it? Believe it or not, the NCAA has actually changed the rule for the women's game. A coach's timeout called within 30 seconds of a media timeout becomes the media timeout and cancels out the dreaded back-to-back timeout.
Could we see the same rule installed in men's basketball? Of course, but that would mean the NCAA giving back advertising dollars. I wouldn't hold my breath.

bruin

reason why Ben Howland got away with using his TO's so much. There is always the TV TO's.

Chase

Bobby Mo taking it on the chin to Mount St Mary's.

Also, lulz at the SWAC conference for letting Southern (by far the best team in the league) play while they're ineligible and can't participate.

Chase

Only one other team is ineligible. But yeah, whoever wins that league is in the play-in game.

ESPN2 right now has the Summit title. IPFW has a kid who looks like Rick Ross.. listed at 6'9 290 but more like 6'7 320.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Things heard in March: "That will affect Notre Dame. They don't have much depth."

The next Mike Brey team that can more than two deep of the bench will be the first.

Bdub

Loss to wazzu was just terrible. Utah isn't going to beat Washington unless they get their shit together.

Chase

Loss to Wazzu hurt Utah but they had the 343rd non-conference SOS (350 D1 schools) and that's something the committee gets anal about. The RPI is just outdated data. For example the RPI has UMass 16 and Utah 80th. KenPom has Utah 33rd (ahead of schools like Saint Louis and Texas) and has UMass 48th.

UMass is 16th in the RPI because they beat a bunch of shitty power conference teams in November/December (LSU, Clemson, Providence, BC, Nebraska, BYU)

Also Raftery and Gus on FS1. RIP CJ.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
I could see Kansas taking a huge dump without Euclid. Wiggins can only do so much.

watching Okie Lite put the hammer on Tech. This Smart guy can play. If he didn't slug that old man in Lubbock, they might be a six seed.

Bdub

Loss to Wazzu hurt Utah but they had the 343rd non-conference SOS (350 D1 schools) and that's something the committee gets anal about. The RPI is just outdated data. For example the RPI has UMass 16 and Utah 80th. KenPom has Utah 33rd (ahead of schools like Saint Louis and Texas) and has UMass 48th.

UMass is 16th in the RPI because they beat a bunch of shitty power conference teams in November/December (LSU, Clemson, Providence, BC, Nebraska, BYU)

Also Raftery and Gus on FS1. RIP CJ.

Utah didn't expect to be as far a long in the rebuilding process so they scheduled a bunch of terrible teams.
I think if they can find a way to beat Zona tomorrow they will have a good argument to get in. The odds of doing that are pretty low though.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
The American Eagles, the misnomer of mid-major college basketball, are now in the tournament. The reason I say they're a misnomer is because two of the players are not from Murrica. One's a Nigerian, the other a Serbian. Oh misnomer.

/joke

Chase

Bubble is certainly shrinking today. Georgetown is already off the board. Providence/St John's loser is done. Pitt and Xavier are going to be locks with wins today. If either lose, they're in real trouble.

From Lunardi.. any of these teams losing today = reel e dead.
The following teams are clinging to the back end of the bubble and can't afford to lose at this stage. Of course, some, like the Utes, face a taller task than others.
Florida State (vs. Maryland), Missouri (vs. Texas A&M), Dayton (vs. Fordham), Utah (vs. Arizona), Arkansas (vs. South Carolina), California (vs. Colorado), Minnesota (vs. Penn State), West Virginia (vs. Texas), Louisiana Tech (vs. Charlotte)

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I think State should be considered if they were make it to the ACC championship, assuming they would have to beat Syracuse and Duke to get there. I feel like that would be enough quality wins to throw them into the conversation at least. I know that's getting wwaaayyyy ahead of myself and I have no expectations of them actually making the tournament.