• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Official 2014 BYU Thread

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Bronco revealed he was targeting playing Syracuse as the season opener this year, but ended up with UConn when they started looking for other teams in the area they could play. Sharing, just because it was interesting.
They had set up a 1-1-1 series (at Syracuse, at BYU, at MetLife Stadium) but the whole BYU not counting as a "Power 5" team for ACC/SEC teams sunk it.

Bdub

Former QB Max Hall was arrested over the weekend for shoplifting and drug possession in AZ. He was arrested in a Best Buy where they found stuff from there and a nearby Wal-Mart. He was also found with a "personal-use" quantity of cocaine.

Let the jokes begin.

In all seriousness, though, I hope this is rock bottom for him. With two accusations in his life of beer being poured on his family by opposing fans (I'm not saying he lied, but it seems odd), his "hate" comments and now this, it's obvious he's got a lot of issues. So hopefully this is where he starts to turn things around instead of continuing down the path he appears to be headed.
I will admit I made a few jokes. However I do hope he gets the help he needs.

Wooly

They had set up a 1-1-1 series (at Syracuse, at BYU, at MetLife Stadium) but the whole BYU not counting as a "Power 5" team for ACC/SEC teams sunk it.
That's really a 1-2 series anyway. BYU needs to be a little more hard ball with 1-1 series with programs that they have enough leverage to get them.

Wooly

So sad Max Hall. The thing about guys with a big mouth is that people love to see them eat their words. If he was a little more humble he might get more sympathy, but I think grating personality ruined that. Why is Max Hall acting like his life is ruined. He made it to the NFL, got a little NFL cash. He should be set for life, instead he throws his life away and snorts his money up his nose. I do feel bad for him, but what a waste when people do that. I get it when you never had anything good in your life, but when successful people do it you just shake your head. What the hell?

Wooly

Yes he was, but he was our prick damnit...our prick!

Tradition
Spirit
Honor
Family

Brick

Taysom sounds like a good name for a perpetual 4 year old. I think people don't tackle him well because of it. Softest name in footbaw history. Mommy said don't hurt little taysom

Watching this for skycam only.

Part of the honor code must be to talk shit after every play

Band of bros looking complacent

Brick

Byu seems to be using the Texas fumbles mcscramble young/mccoy offense. Half assed play fake and let hill run around and do whatever.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Earlier this week, Jim McMahon, who is battling dementia, completed his final two classes and will finally graduate. It hasn't been announced, but one of his teammates (Vai Sikahema, Pro Bowl Returner) who wrote the amazing article linked below let out that he will be honored on Oct. 3. No doubt he will enter the Hall of Fame and his number will be retired. The article made me a bit emotional that the greatest BYU QB in history will finally get the honors he deserves. I will probably cry at that game, especially because he will get a lot of love from the BYU fans who absolutely adore him.

Go Jimmy Mac!

Incredible college & pro stories about Jim McMahon

Wooly

BYU is looking good so far. Their schedule is weak, but going undefeated is a real possibility because of it. They next 5 games are the only test they have (unless Cal gets better than we think they are), and then they coast through the last 4 while many teams ranked ahead of them are knocking each other off at the end of the season conference play. That is an easy way to rise up to a top 10 ranking.

I have wondered if ESPN would try and get an open schedule game late in the season (like the Army-Navy week) for top teams not in a Power 5 conf. It would be something like a bracket buster game in CBB. There are usually two ranked non-BCS teams, and I bet some dollar signs could make them want to play at the end of the season to help them make a case for a BCS bowl or playoff bid. I am sure the NCAA rule on capped games of 11 and 12 will fall shortly anyway to allow this to happen. BYU would probably be a candidate most years to play in such a game, and that would be a good selling point for ESPN.

Bdub

I loved Jim McMahon as a kid. I always thought it was messed up of BYU never to honor him. He may not have been a poster child for the honor code but he did just as much for BYU as any other QB.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Mac's not being in the Hall of Fame had nothing to do with the Honor Code. They have a strict policy that in order to qualify for their Hall and have your number retired, you have to have graduated from the school. Now that he's done that, it will be done.

The Power 5 would never allow a "play-in" game of sorts for a playoff spot.

Always loved Jim McMahon. He was amazing on that 1990 Eagles team.

Did you read the article? There's a great story about his first home game in Philly.

Bdub

Mac's not being in the Hall of Fame had nothing to do with the Honor Code. They have a strict policy that in order to qualify for their Hall and have your number retired, you have to have graduated from the school. Now that he's done that, it will be done.

Did you read the article? There's a great story about his first home game in Philly.
The only way to be honored is to be put in the hall? BYU has honored Ty multiple times.

Wooly

Not a play in game. Just an end of season game, which might help a non-power 5 team get some votes for beating another quality opponent. Kind of like Bracket Busters are set up in CBB.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
The only way to be honored is to be put in the hall? BYU has honored Ty multiple times.

Mac has been to Provo multiple times and has been honored in a variety of ways. The fans love him. I said nothing along the lines of the only way to be honored at BYU is to be put into the Hall. I'm curious what else you think BYU should have done to honor him anyway? Isn't the Hall and number retirement kind of the pinnacle?

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
With UMass becoming an Independent in 2016, it should come as no surprise that they have a 4-game series with BYU.

The first two games will be played in Provo in 16 and 17. The next two will be at Gillette Stadium in 18 and 19.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
BYU and South Florida just announced a home-and-home series. At USF 2021 and at BYU in 2022.

This should offset some of the anger about playing in Massachusetts and Connecticut since Florida is a recruiting mecca :)

Not a big name team, but a tough trip and a good place to go for recruiting.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Reading an article during lunch about McMahon in preparation for his jersey retirement Friday night, I learned that he wore sunglasses due to an eye injury as a kid. He was trying to untie a knot with a fork and got poked in the eye. It's pretty impressive that he played without the sunglass shade on his helmet considering he was rarely seen out of uniform without the glasses.

I love the story of him refusing to leave the field in the Holiday Bowl against SMU and slamming his helmet around and swearing at LaVell Edwards before he led the team to what may be the greatest comeback in NCAA history.

I'm pretty pumped for the ceremony at halftime. Anyone reading my thread planning to watch the game Friday night? I'm sure they'll show snippets of the jersey thing plus you get to fap at the royal blues for one night this season.

purple112

Go Berzerk
@GR8 2 B FL G8R

ozzJZ1B.jpg

Last edited:

Renegade

Charge on!
So what's your QB situation now? Terrible what happened to Hill, very talented kid and seems like a standup guy.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Senior JC transfer Christian Stewart steps in. I saw him in the spring game last year and liked what I saw. He's a little less mobile than Hill and not nearly as athletic. He's a better passer, though. He seemed amped up and maybe trying to play the hero in catch up and overthrew a lot on his way to three interceptions against USU. I thought he had a nice throwing motion, he was poised in the pocket and he was able to evade tacklers. But his lack of experience makes it a big drop from Hill. It will be interesting to see how he performs on a short week and long travel to UCF Thursday night.

Ammon Olsen had been the backup, but transferred to Southern Utah so he could start. I think he just won his first game last week. I wonder what he's thinking at this point.

Behind Stewart,there are three freshmen QBs. I only know a little about one because he's the nephew of a woman I work with. He was a big-time QB in Utah high school and returned from his mission a bit ago.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
BYU and Missouri announced a series today.

They will play next year at Arrowhead Stadium on Nov. 14 with a game in Provo on Nov. 7, 2020.

This shows that SEC teams are still open to scheduling BYU, even though the conference doesn't consider them a P5 opponent. Also, getting them in Provo in November will be nice (although it's WAY out there).

Next season, BYU better have a better defense and stay healthy on offense. They have quite a schedule lined up. BYU opens the season at Nebraska, hosts Boise State, visits UCLA, then travels to Michigan. Other opponents include Connecticut, East Carolina, Cincinnati, San Jose State and Utah State.

Wooly

Byu is struggling to get good teams to agree to come to Provo, and even when they do, those teams are backing out a lot on return visits. I Will Be Shocked if Mizzou ever makes it to Provo in 2020

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I forgot to add that the game at UNLV that was originally scheduled for next year and has now been replaced by the Missouri game will be moved to either 2016 or 2017.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I took mafam to BYUtv studios yesterday and we were in the live audience of their Countdown to Kickoff show they do before every football game. When the game starts, they bring down a huge screen for everyone to watch the game. Pizza and cookies are given to everyone at halftime. Then we stayed for the Postgame Show as well. We got on camera a few times. It was a lot of fun and something I'll always remember. I think it's something every BYU fan should do once.

It was nice that it was a very good game. The audience was really into it with a lot of energy in the room all game long. Very fun.

Wooly

BYU needs to get at least 2, if not three, home games with power 5 teams every year. They need to stop getting these power 5 games as always away games first, so that they don't get backed out on. If they can't get decent home games I think they will decline as a program and cease to be a relevant program in D1A football.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I'm interested in what people think BYU's chances are of being invited to the Big XII? Does the Big XII go east for everything? Or is BYU's immediate availability, national fan base, and good relations with Texas and Baylor enough to get them what they and their fans so desperately want?

Also, how soon does the Big XII start making moves? Do they wait until their summer meetings? Or do they start sooner to avoid being snubbed as quickly as possible?

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Given the fact that the HC openly lobbied for inclusion in the Big XII this past summer and the school has indicated a general interest in being in a Power 5 situation, I'm surprised anyone could possibly think BYU WANTS to be indie anymore. Granted, it's the best option on the table right now (joining the MWC is out of the question at the moment). So they are happy independent. But they WANT to be in a P5, for sure.

Bdub

Given the fact that the HC openly lobbied for inclusion in the Big XII this past summer and the school has indicated a general interest in being in a Power 5 situation, I'm surprised anyone could possibly think BYU WANTS to be indie anymore. Granted, it's the best option on the table right now (joining the MWC is out of the question at the moment). So they are happy independent. But they WANT to be in a P5, for sure.
The church run's the schooner not the coach.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Again, from all the reports I've seen, the Church is on board with moving to a big-time conference. Whoever is saying otherwise either has information that I've never seen or heard or they are basing it purely on their conjecture and assumptions.

If you have to be interviewed by the heads of the Church to be hired as Head Coach, if the HC suddenly lobbied publicly for something the Church heads were against, he would have been fired pretty quickly.

Bdub

Again, from all the reports I've seen, the Church is on board with moving to a big-time conference. Whoever is saying otherwise either has information that I've never seen or heard or they are basing it purely on their conjecture and assumptions.

If you have to be interviewed by the heads of the Church to be hired as Head Coach, if the HC suddenly lobbied publicly for something the Church heads were against, he would have been fired pretty quickly.
I was just speculating based on the stated mission of the football team. I don't think winning titles is number one or two. Also what about the basketball team playing on Sunday?

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
No Sunday play is a University stand and not team specific.

Also, the HC, AD, and new school president have all expressed a desire to be a championship football team. So you can change your framework based on what has been stated as the mission of the football team on those comments that aren't even half a year old yet.

Wooly

It was more royal blue, or at least that is what they called it. I don't think they have every had a North Carolina style "powder blue", but they used to have the more brilliant royal blue until the late 90s. At the end of LeVell Edwards tenure as coach they switched to a dark blue with tan trim for a few years, then switched in the early 2000s to what you see now, dark blue and white. I don't think they will change what they are now. The reason for the switch away from royal blue was that the fans wouldn't buy or wear that color of blue.

From this: Royal Blue
1182076.jpg

To this: "Cougar Blue" with tan
staley.jpg

To Current: Navy blue and white
6899860.jpg

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I think the Big XII would be wise to add them as football only. You don't have to kill your other sports with travel. You get a team with a legit fan traveling fan base, tradition and resources to be good in the league. IMO they probably go undefeated this year if Hill's leg doesn't break.

I also think the situation has changed significantly from BYU's standpoint. They were getting great home and homes when they first became independent. Now I saw their last two were UMass and USF. They are getting some good ones with Pac-12 schools but it seems like the Nebraska, Texas, Notre Dame (didn't they already back ou?) series aren't happening. They aren't going to get a home and home with a ACC/SEC team because of the new rules, Big Ten teams going to 9 conference games will hurt them as does the Big XII playing 9. I think it's a lot more difficult to schedule now than it was when they first became indy.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
The Nebraska game is a one-time, neutral field game. Texas was a 2-for-1. Notre Dame has not back out, although the next 4 games haven't been set yet.

Yes some of the most recent announcements were UMass and USF, but unless you expect them to play 12 P5 teams every year they are going to mix it up a bit.

They have home-and-homes set with Washington, Arizona, Utah and Cal with 2-for-1s with USC and Stanford. They have a neutral game "at" Missouri with a home game later. So basically a home-and-home with an SEC team. And the have two games left in a 2-for-1 with Wisconsin. And they are in the middle of a huge home-and-home series with Boise State through the end of the decade.

Yes, it's not perfect. But even after the SEC said they won't count them as a power team they landed the Missouri series. Yes, there's concern that Missouri and Notre Dame could back out before games in Provo are played. But at this time, it's just a concern and not a fact. The schedule is a mix, but if you look at any one season it's a pretty good mix.