• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Official 2014 BYU Thread

Bdub

So do you think that if they ever make it through a season undefeated they will have a shot at the playoffs? Or will the committee punish them for being independent?

Wooly

The Nebraska game is a one-time, neutral field game. Texas was a 2-for-1. Notre Dame has not back out, although the next 4 games haven't been set yet.

Yes some of the most recent announcements were UMass and USF, but unless you expect them to play 12 P5 teams every year they are going to mix it up a bit.

They have home-and-homes set with Washington, Arizona, Utah and Cal with 2-for-1s with USC and Stanford. They have a neutral game "at" Missouri with a home game later. So basically a home-and-home with an SEC team. And the have two games left in a 2-for-1 with Wisconsin. And they are in the middle of a huge home-and-home series with Boise State through the end of the decade.

Yes, it's not perfect. But even after the SEC said they won't count them as a power team they landed the Missouri series. Yes, there's concern that Missouri and Notre Dame could back out before games in Provo are played. But at this time, it's just a concern and not a fact. The schedule is a mix, but if you look at any one season it's a pretty good mix.

I think it's almost certain that return trips to Provo will be canceled. IIRC, BYU's series with good teams are almost always away first, then back to Provo, and many have the return trip to Provo scheduled at least a few years later than the home game for the opponent. That is always a red flag that the opponent is likely to cancel the return trip. Basically BYU needs some big time games on their schedule, and some P5 teams are using them to get one game they want away from Provo. All BYU gets is the hope that the P5 school will come through. Did Texas fulfill their end? Yes, because they had a 1-1-1 style 2 for 1, and because the administration between the two colleges are close. They got that series based on mutual friendships anyway. Notre Dame only scheduled them because they need Indy games, and they have a good relationship with BYU too. Those games will almost certainly be canceled though. I wish it were different for BYU, but I fear this is way things will go until they get into a conference.

Wooly

So do you think that if they ever make it through a season undefeated they will have a shot at the playoffs? Or will the committee punish them for being independent?

I think the committee will punish them a lot, but an undefeated BYU teams has a decent shot at it at least. BYU is a name brand enough to move up into the Top 5 and 10 of the rankings when they are winning, so if they go undefeated they could get in, but maybe not if there are other undefeated teams, or even 4 teams with 1 loss who are considered very strong one year. BYU had a good chance at getting in this year though, if they were undefeated.

Bdub

I think the committee will punish them a lot, but an undefeated BYU teams has a decent shot at it at least. BYU is a name brand enough to move up into the Top 5 and 10 of the rankings when they are winning, so if they go undefeated they could get in, but maybe not if there are other undefeated teams, or even 4 teams with 1 loss who are considered very strong one year. BYU had a good chance at getting in this year though, if they were undefeated.
I don't think they make it this year. They had an extremely weak schedule. I don't think they even make the top 10 this year.

Wooly

It's hard to know, but I think they had a good chance this year. The committee is heavily influenced by polls, and BYU has a name brand that will allow them to rise up the polls as long as they keep winning. Marshall doesn't get that treatment because they are Marshall. When name brands win they move the rankings and eventually the committee would have had them highly ranked too. Once that happens, it's hard to keep an undefeated team out when the last spot was open to TCU, and Baylor all with one loss, and OSU with a bad loss. If it was a considered a strong 1 loss OSU for the 4th spot BYU has no chance, but an undefeated BYU could beat out a 1 loss TCU or Baylor and bad loss OSU team I think. It's always going to be harder for BYU, but they have a better name brand than half the P5 teams in the country.

Bdub

I agree they have a good brand but they played a bunch of awful teams. They only played a couple of teams that had a winning record. Certainly their schedule was one of the worst in the country. Look how much FSU and Baylor where punished for their strength of schedule.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
The Nebraska game is a one-time, neutral field game. Texas was a 2-for-1. Notre Dame has not back out, although the next 4 games haven't been set yet.

Yes some of the most recent announcements were UMass and USF, but unless you expect them to play 12 P5 teams every year they are going to mix it up a bit.

They have home-and-homes set with Washington, Arizona, Utah and Cal with 2-for-1s with USC and Stanford. They have a neutral game "at" Missouri with a home game later. So basically a home-and-home with an SEC team. And the have two games left in a 2-for-1 with Wisconsin. And they are in the middle of a huge home-and-home series with Boise State through the end of the decade.

Yes, it's not perfect. But even after the SEC said they won't count them as a power team they landed the Missouri series. Yes, there's concern that Missouri and Notre Dame could back out before games in Provo are played. But at this time, it's just a concern and not a fact. The schedule is a mix, but if you look at any one season it's a pretty good mix.

I agree with a lot of this. I actually think the Boise State series is absolutely huge to have that school every year. Next year isn't a bad schedule. But IMO their problem is scheduling from mid-October through November. It is big that the Pac-12 is allowing teams to schedule BYU after week 4 (it used to be just Notre Dame according to league rules). Getting Utah to play every year would be huge too. Having Utah State be around this good (bowl team quality every year) IMO is important too if they're going to play them every year.

The Missouri series is nice and must've been recent right? But for instance next year arguably their four toughest games are the first four weeks of the year. So the way that's set up they finish the year with not good teams. Same with 2016. Four P5 off the bat. Look at the schedule FSU had (12 P5, 9 Bowl teams) and that got them 3rd undefeated?

What about 2017... just Utah scheduled in terms of P5. Is taking 2 for 1's really good long term for them too financially?

If they went undefeated this year (and really could've if Taysom didn't get hurt) would they have been in the top 10 let alone top5?

If the goal is make the playoffs, I don't think BYU can stay Indy and have a chance barring some sort of strange massive two loss year. They're basically playing a MWC or AAC schedule with maybe one more good team added in.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I agree with Bronco who has said that to make the playoffs it would probably take multiple great seasons. Like multiple undefeated seasons. This year, I think they get a New Years Bowl. But I don't think they make the playoffs. Even with Taysom uninjured and in Heisman talks. They wouldn't have made it. And it would have been the right decision. This year's schedule was weak. They won't deny it. That's going to happen sometimes. And I'm not going to judge a schedule three years from now. It's far from set.

The Missouri series was announced within the last month or two.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
An interesting graphic.

1511013_899335650076732_3152483909151959797_n.jpg

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Reading national news, once again, the only people making a big deal about this for BYU are Utah fans. All the national outlets that were at the game are reporting that Memphis was by far the instigator and leader in the whole thing.

Now that said, I'm not excusing BYU for the retaliation. It's tough finding the line between standing up for yourself and crossing that line. Some BYU players, especially Nacua with the sucker punch from behind, were obviously out of line. There isn't a BYU fan that will "justify" or defend that in anyway. I'm with my in-laws (who are very anti-Mormon) and as soon as that Nacua punch happened I made some sort of comment and put my head in my hands in embarrassment.

It was a frustrating loss. They mismanaged the end of the game. They should have won. The game was chippy on both sides. And by no means do I defend anything that BYU's players did during or after the game that were against what we try to be and stand for.

But by all means, let's overlook the curb-stomping that Memphis players were doing and punches being thrown at BYU coaches. Let's all look to the Mormon to "justify" this because BYU is a bunch of self-righteous idiots and hypocrites. It's what I, as a Mormon and BYU fan, get to do all the time because of the microscope we are under (and some may rightfully say we put ourselves under). I will defend my team in the melee for the attacks they didn't instigate and for standing up for themselves. But there's no "justifying" sucker punches and the other dirty things that BYU players did. But thanks for thinking that's what I'd do... because... you know... that's what BYU fans do... right?

Oh how I wish I were the fan of a perfect athletic group and fan base.

Last edited:

Bdub

Here is the issue, BYU puts themselves on a pedestal, they and their fans constantly remind us all about how special they are. Naturally when you put yourself above others, everyone wants to knock you down. Second issue, as a Mormon their behavior is absolutely an embarrassment to the church and all it's members. As far as national news, I have seen it on ESPN 3 times since it happened.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Sorry, but I have no idea what your comment about seeing it on ESPN 3 times is supposed to mean.

When you try and stand for something, people take that as putting yourself on a pedestal. Even if we know that we're no better than anyone else and are full of flaws like everyone else. But because we verbalize that we try to aspire to something better, we put ourselves on a pedestal. It's what happens, regardless if that's our intention or not. And every mistake that we make is magnified more than bigger mistakes made by anyone else.

Bdub

Sorry, but I have no idea what your comment about seeing it on ESPN 3 times is supposed to mean.

When you try and stand for something, people take that as putting yourself on a pedestal. Even if we know that we're no better than anyone else and are full of flaws like everyone else. But because we verbalize that we try to aspire to something better, we put ourselves on a pedestal. It's what happens, regardless if that's our intention or not. And every mistake that we make is magnified more than bigger mistakes made by anyone else.
You said no one is talking about it nationally. I am saying ESPN is talking about it.

Your coach openly brings religion and the team together every chance he gets, Bronco says the team is a missionary tool. If those things are true BYU has to be better than petty fights or they should drop sports.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
EVERY chance he gets? Yes, he has brought it up and I know that rubs people wrong. If he's bringing up religion, he MUST be saying that he's better than everyone else. Just like if he admits that football isn't #1 on his priority list, he MUST be saying he's better than you and your team and that he doesn't care about football. Saying that it's every chance he gets is an exaggeration and it's not nearly as bad as you think. I'm sorry that what the coach of a church-sponsored school says about religion rubs everyone the wrong way.

I didn't say that no one was talking about it. I said that only Ute fans are saying that BYU was the bad guy in the brawl. Nationally the focus is on Memphis. Yes, BYU was involved and I know they aren't innocent in the whole thing. But Ute fans are the only people saying BYU started it or acting like Memphis is the poor innocent team that got caught by surprise by those dirty Mormons.

Bdub

Yes every chance he gets, he has firesides before every game, compares his team to warriors from the book of mormon, etc.

BYU holds themselves above others, I am constantly hearing about how some other team is so classless not to mention crap like to famous Max Hall rant. Your coach talks about how BYU doesn't recruit players, good people pick BYU and he chooses the best.

I never said Memphis wasn't out of line they were.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I apologize (for all normal BYU fans) for whoever you talk to that is constantly saying that other teams are classless. As a fan, I never hear anyone say that. But you do,and that's what matters. So I apologize for the fans you converse with who say that, because that's not right. Then again, I've never heard anyone call BYU "The Lord's school" but people tell me they constantly hear that as well. So I guess I just talk to different people.

I'm sorry that his having firesides causes you such trouble.

I'm sorry that his bringing up a Book of Mormon story in his first press conference as head coach has been such trouble for you the past 10+ years.

Bdub

I apologize (for all normal BYU fans) for whoever you talk to that is constantly saying that other teams are classless. As a fan, I never hear anyone say that. But you do,and that's what matters. So I apologize for the fans you converse with who say that, because that's not right. Then again, I've never heard anyone call BYU "The Lord's school" but people tell me they constantly hear that as well. So I guess I just talk to different people.

I'm sorry that his having firesides causes you such trouble.

I'm sorry that his bringing up a Book of Mormon story in his first press conference as head coach has been such trouble for you the past 10+ years.
Aww yes the persecution complex. Was wondering when you would fall back to that, every BYU fan knows it well.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I finally watched a replay of the fight. I like all the fat BYU linemen, that aren't dressed out for the game, in their skin tight jerseys with the sleeves rolled way up. That's a good look bro.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
What did I say that had anything to do with the persecution complex? I know what you're talking about, but my comments had nothing to do with that. There was no woe is me in my comments. There were sarcastic comments made because someone having a fireside piss you off so much. What a dumb thing to be upset about. But way to assume. I was wondering when the Ute fan on here would assume something about BYU. Every one of you know it so well.

In the video you posted, you can see Memphis players getting in the face of Koroma who is walking towards his sideline. Now Koroma had been involved in chippy play throughout the game and throughout the season. So it's not necessarily surprising. Koroma responds by pushing one of the players. Then Koroma gets hit from behind with a helmet, knocked to the ground, and Memphis players start stomping on him with their cleats. A lot of those final things aren't shown in your clip. So if the push is what you define as starting it, you will never see otherwise.

This year's team had a problem with discipline all year. The defense was terrible at discipline, especially. Not in the sense that they started fights. But they didn't listen to coaches and were continually not following the plays they were instructed to. If you watch the film of the season, this was obvious. Then you add in Karoma and his ability to lose his cool throughout the season, and this team was undisciplined. Coaches talked about it a lot. Last year's team with Van Noy would not have ended the season this way. Nor the team the year before that. But this year's team was very undisciplined. So this ending to a frustrating game and season shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. And that's what makes me the most disappointed in my team.

Last edited:

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I was just reminded that this is the second brawl Memphis has been involved in this year. That, to me, says a lot about what went down at the end, to me.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
What did my comment that Memphis has a track record of being involved in brawls do to cause that? You don't think it has any role in what went down?

Please know that I acknowledge that this year's teams have a bunch of undisciplined people on it. Koroma and Nacua are at the top of the list. I am not proud of them or how the represented my alma mater. I am not excusing their actions during or after the game. But if they had played another team, this probably wouldn't have happened.

Case in point, on the Trog Bowl thread @Bdub posted a video that he said shows that BYU started it because you see Koroma push a Memphis player. Even if a push is a legitimate reason to retaliate with your helmet, my father-in-law (who, again, is very anti-Mormon) pointed out that he watched the video on his own yesterday and noticed that Koroma was pushed from behind. Watch that Vine and you can see him get pushed into the Memphis player. He turns around to see who pushed him and he gets hit with a helmet, then they don't show him getting knocked down and stomped on with cleats.

Again, I accept the role my team played. I do not justify it. But if it had been any other team, the push by Koroma wouldn't have resulted in a response with a helmet swing and cleat stomps. But by all means, point out that Koroma started it with a push and mock me for just pointing out that Memphis has a track record this season. You see what you want and I will never persuade you otherwise, even though I accept and am embarrassed by my team for what their role was in this. Instead of mocking, why don't you just come right out and tell me what you want me to do. What do you want from me? What response from me will help you feel satisfied and like you won?