• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Chase ended up in 2nd. He was about 1 second back with 15 to go, but got caught up in some lapped traffic and couldn't catch the leader. Hell of a run though. The 2nd feature race was crazy, the 2 leaders ran side by side for the last 15 laps. Everyone was on their feet on the final lap, nobody knew whether they were going to make it back or crash trying to win. Good racing all night long. Then the Cup race gets red flagged, and I only missed the first 98 laps.

After the race, they let people just wander through the pits and infield. So I go to where Chase's car was last seen, lo and behold, he's just standing around talking to a couple of people. There were literally 2 people standing around him, that's it. So me and my dad go up and get an autograph and a photo. Real nice guy. He could have taken off right after the 2nd race ended, but he stuck around. I was flabbergasted that NOBODY was around him though. I knew for sure that a hundred people would be standing around getting autographs or whatever. Nothing. I remember going to Hickory in the 80s and 90s and waiting forever in line for autographs from guys like Ernie Irvan and Terry Labonte. NASCAR is MUCH bigger now than it was in the 80s, and more people prolly know who Chase Elliott is now than knew Ernie Irvan back in 1992. I hope in the future that more guys come and run at Hickory during May since they're all in town for 2 weeks anyway.

Attachments

• chaseelliott.jpg
    chaseelliott.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 21

MSUFanatic

Chase ended up in 2nd. He was about 1 second back with 15 to go, but got caught up in some lapped traffic and couldn't catch the leader. Hell of a run though. The 2nd feature race was crazy, the 2 leaders ran side by side for the last 15 laps. Everyone was on their feet on the final lap, nobody knew whether they were going to make it back or crash trying to win. Good racing all night long. Then the Cup race gets red flagged, and I only missed the first 98 laps.

After the race, they let people just wander through the pits and infield. So I go to where Chase's car was last seen, lo and behold, he's just standing around talking to a couple of people. There were literally 2 people standing around him, that's it. So me and my dad go up and get an autograph and a photo. Real nice guy. He could have taken off right after the 2nd race ended, but he stuck around. I was flabbergasted that NOBODY was around him though. I knew for sure that a hundred people would be standing around getting autographs or whatever. Nothing. I remember going to Hickory in the 80s and 90s and waiting forever in line for autographs from guys like Ernie Irvan and Terry Labonte. NASCAR is MUCH bigger now than it was in the 80s, and more people prolly know who Chase Elliott is now than knew Ernie Irvan back in 1992. I hope in the future that more guys come and run at Hickory during May since they're all in town for 2 weeks anyway.

Chase looks like he's been doing the BTT Travis workout.

Iron

No way Erik Jones isn't in a cup ride next year. He was running in 6th last night when he spun out late in the race.

Also loljimmiewinsat2am

Iron

Didn't even know there was a race yesterday evening.

Was on FS1, like every race until NBC takes over besides the 600. And it finished at 1:30am Eastern due to rain.

Actually I think the next three races on network TV are: Charlotte (FOX. May), Daytona (NBC, Sun July 5) and Darlington (NBC, Sept). Everything else is FS1/NBCSN.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni

I speak for most of America when I say I seriously have no idea which one of you is which in that photo.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I speak for most of America when I say I seriously have no idea which one of you is which in that photo.

I'm guessing @Hollywood is in the @DeadMan-brand cargo shorts. Especially since I have a hard time believing that he would show up to the track carrying some type of duffle bag.

Maybe a backpackpressurecooker, but not a duffle bag.

-YTC

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
@Travis7401 racing the Trogrunner.

budnrzhlkomiskqmciuo.gif

Iron

Josh Wise makes top 5 for fan vote. I hope he wins again and Danica is left out of the All-Star Race to watch shitshow on the internet year 2.

Wolfman21

the showdown races are really open IMO. Not alot of guys that I would say are the outgoing favorites. Truex I guess would be one with as well as he's run this season. Then you got guys like Biffle, Larson, menard, Bowyer. Hell, with this field I wouldn't even be totally surprised if Chase Elliott somehow found a win in one of the two segments.

Wolfman21

just had a coworker offer me a free ticket to the all-star race tomorrow night. I get off work at 7:00...figure i'll head over there after that. Never been to an all-star race so it should be cool. Gives me extra incentive for hoping Chase somehow wins one of these things tonight.

Wolfman21

2nd showdown segment had some great racing as well. 3 wide for the lead for about a full lap. Then Bowyer got in clean air and thats all she wrote. Chase Elliott restarted 12th in the second segment and finished 5th. Not bad

Wolfman21

Lol, it was cool being there for the experience but the lack if excitement was painful to experience. The fan excitement wasn't there. Literally zero passing. Cars could take 2 tires (outside of dale jr) and stay in the lead over cars that took 4. That shouldn't happen. Tires should mean something but they dont.

goblue96

Lol, it was cool being there for the experience but the lack if excitement was painful to experience. The fan excitement wasn't there. Literally zero passing. Cars could take 2 tires (outside of dale jr) and stay in the lead over cars that took 4. That shouldn't happen. Tires should mean something but they dont.

@Hollywood and I have been saying that for years but Goodyear continues to put out hard tires that don't wear out.

Smaller engines, take off the restrictions on gears and shocks, softer tires that drop off and they might actually have a series.

Wolfman21

the problem is that they've reduced the straightaway speed on the cars, however teams have found a way around that by making the cars turn faster in the corners. They're running Talladega compound tires at 1.5 milers now because old 1.5 mile tires couldn't take the pounding that the new, higher, corner speeds were putting on them. This aero/downforce dependency has become the downfall of the great racing we had in the 90's, but Brian France doesn't want to listen to the drivers that want faster cars and less downforce.

gilstein21

i wish they'd cut down force and change the tires for sure. Let the driver who can control the car the best, at the fastest speed, over the longest runs win dammit.

Wolfman21

drivers unanimously want less downforce and more straightaway speed. This makes them have to be off the gas longer in the corners which allows for more car control and more passing. Right now they're off the gas at he 1.5 milers for about a second or two before they're jammed back on it.

goblue96

1981 Darrell Waltrip at, what looks like, Riverside

1981MONTECARLO_1-vi.jpg

JGR cars at Daytona, 2015

9vidmon.jpg

Just look at how small the spoiler is compared to now.....reduce the horsepower, smaller spoiler, no gear or shock restrictions, and a softer tire and you've got racing again. It's late 80's style of racing but that racing was competitive. No talk of "aero push" because tires wore out and fresh tires and good driver actually meant something.

Wolfman21

^Those are 2014 camry's, but your point is right.

Even the 1996 cars (Thunderbird picture) gave better racing...and same thing...small spoiler, room for air to get underneath car, etc.

99Exide1997ref-vi.jpg

Wolfman21

pft, whatever at that race. Chris Buescher runs Chase Elliott into the wall, causing him to have to pit. Chase still gets back up there and passes him but a caution comes out with 1.5 laps left to cause a green white checker. Elliott can't take tires as hes already used his up from being in the wall. Buescher takes 2 and passes him on the restart. Elliott still holds off a heap of cars that took tires to take home 2nd.

Iron

Todd Gilliland, son of David, turned 15 two days ago and wins in his first ARCA start at Toledo. He was born in 2000.

goblue96

Brad K. after the race last night: "Oh no. Whoever gets the clean air with this format and this rules package is gonna drive away. We've seen that for the last three years and with this particular car it's probably even more so."

We've been hearing the drivers say this for how many years?!?

Wolfman21

Brad K. after the race last night: "Oh no. Whoever gets the clean air with this format and this rules package is gonna drive away. We've seen that for the last three years and with this particular car it's probably even more so."

We've been hearing the drivers say this for how many years?!?

Brian France has basically said before he doesn't give a shit what the drivers think...which is a terrible way to lead

Iron

Can we talk about why Boris Said was in the #54 while Drew Herring put the #20 on the pole for Erik Jones? Said ran in the 20's all day.

goblue96

Brian France has basically said before he doesn't give a shit what the drivers think...which is a terrible way to lead

Look where it got Tony George. How was bump day today? Not very exciting when only 33 cars attempt to qualify for 33 car field.

goblue96

Ho Lee Fuk

http://deadspin.com/report-indycar-driver-was-skewered-in-practice-wreck-1705509543

In the impact, which flattened the right side of the chassis, one of the suspension wishbones penetrated the Dallara safety cell, and subsequently caused the majority of the physical damage Hinchcliffe received. RACER has confirmed through multiple sources that Hinchcliffe had the steel wishbone enter and exit his right leg, then enter his upper left thigh, and continue into his pelvic region before it came to a stop.

The suspension component pinned the 28-year-old in the car, leading the safety team to cut the wishbone from the chassis to allow Hinchcliffe’s extraction.

With the multiple intrusions, Hinchcliffe experienced massive blood loss at the crash site, and despite the gravity of the soft tissue injuries to his lower extremities, stopping the bleeding became an immediate priority for the medical staff to address once he was pulled from the chassis.

:scared::vomit::scared:

gilstein21

damn. I never saw the video or many details from the wreck, but shit. Really fortunate but that's the most bizarre crashes I can remember.

Wolfman21

goin to the xFinity race here in Charlotte on Saturday. Gonna make a day of it:

10AM - Sprint Cup Practice
11:15AM - xFinity qualifying
1 PM - Sprint Cup Happy Hour
2:30 PM - xFinity race

Iron

Jeff Gordon is making some sort of annoucement today at 5pm after Cup practice on FS1. I'm guessing its either FOX related for 2016 or paint scheme related...

Iron

Jeff Gordon is replacing Larry McReynolds in the Sprint Cup booth in 2016-beyond.

Last edited: