• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

the NHL Thread

osick87

Community Liaison
One also has to think that the NHL will rewrite the Cap Recapture rule so Nashville doesn't get dinged 24M (MTL some amount) all at once if Weber retires.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
After seeing that they are further apart in age and Weber's contract is a fucking albatross. I retract my earlier statement.
Contract might be bad from a average salary cap value, but it was front loaded, so it can always be moved to an Arizona or someone else, who doesn't want to spend money so they can reach the cap floor. Also, I believe it stops counting if he retires, unlike guys who signed contracts after 35.

Also, Flyers gonna do anything? Probly not.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Rough day for Canadian teams. I'm sure TB will be offloading people in the future though, can't keep the team as is with Stamkos coming back. Otherwise, woohoo. Hometown discount was pretty good I suppose.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Since @Southpaw is a Preds fan I'll do the Subban-Weber trade first.

Subban is a top 5 Defenceman. Complete package. Think Roman Josi but better at not allowing the other team to get shot attempts off. He's fun to watch, good in the community, great in transition. The reason why some people don't like him is he shows personality and since he's good at carrying the puck, he'll cough it up every so often. Both things considered negatives are way overblown in my opinion.

Weber has an albatross of a deal, doesn't seem too great at carrying the puck, and looked like a Coke Machine vs a "slow" San Jose team. He still shoots hard, produces well (that may tail off now that he doesn't have Josi) and looks like a hockey player. People love him because he's kind of what people grew up being told he's what a Dman should be. Not so much the case anymore.

Here's a pretty graph with some stats comparing the two. Let me know if you want some explanation.
1xCgsRy.png

This deal made @smeth cry. That alone should make you happy you got Subban. The Preds are better for making the trade. Just get rid of human garbage Ribeiro so I don't feel sleazy when I cheer for them.

So I don't really understand this graph very much, but Shea Weber is basically the worst shot suppressor in the history of the NHL or what? Does shot suppression mean blocking a shot, or just fucking them up before they get the shot off or both?

osick87

Community Liaison
It's all corsi (all shot attempts, blocked or not) 5v5 relative based.
The difference between a team's corsi rate when a player is on and off the ice at even strength. For example, if a team generates a corsi of +2 corsi per 60 minutes with Joe Hockey on the ice and that drops to -3 corsi per 60 minutes when he isn't, his relative corsi is +5 corsi per 60.

Corsi is basically what drives the posession type stats because if you're getting off more shot attempts, you likely have the puck more or are doing what you should be doing with it.

So basically when Weber (and Josi) is on the ice, the Preds get out Corsi'd more than the other two pairings. He and Josi are also on the ice for more shot attempts than the other guys on the Preds. Turns out the shutdown pairing for the Preds is Ryan Ellis and Mattias Ekholm. Those guys seem to never let an attempt get off.

ZVNRjvy.png

osick87

Community Liaison
One of the bigger things now is Denied zone entries. Some research was done that found teams got more shots per possession off when they carried the puck in than dump and chase.

Maybe Ellis and Ekholm are better at just cutting that off. I could see Weber giving guys the zone because he's probably lost a step so he doesn't want to get blown by (See Kessel vs Girardi). Good teams would likely attack him more than Josi who I assume still has the wheels to challenge. Get in the zone on Weber's side, slow it down and then try and get a couple shots off on Rinne.

All this could be wrong since I don't want more than 2 Preds games a year.

Hopefully this has helped.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Maybe a little but still way above my head. I just know that Subban is better according to graphs and some experts. I doubt he is a beast like Shea, though. Going to miss having that out there. Nobody fucked with him.

osick87

Community Liaison
I look forward to you telling us how many Nashville hockey fans call him a knucklehead.

Anonymous ex Hab to Toronto Star: "They hated how much fun he had. The fact that he never sulked and pouted, win or lose, just bugged them"

Like I said, Weber looks like what you want in a dman.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I'm sure there will be some, but there won't be any more than there would be in any other city in the country. The people who are hockey fans down here are not the sort to be redneck racists. They stick to the Titans and Vols.

The last game I went to I saw significantly fewer men with hockey jerseys tucked into their dad jeans.

osick87

Community Liaison
That's what I kind of figured.

I just wanted to show how fucking dumb the Canadians are. The children's wing had a bunch of kids crying because he would just show unannounced, hang out and become friends with the kids.

Lost the wrong way though.

Guy who is from where I live now is a part owner of the Preds so I always give them some mind share.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Trading away players who are great in community always go over well.

Hope Habs fans enjoy 39-year old Weber sliding around on his walker while Subban wrecks shit in Nashville or Weber retires early leaving Nashville in cap hell.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator

osick87

Community Liaison
Well looking at these FA deals. Looking like Leafs (and others) are winning FA by not signing anyone and letting GMs trip over their dicks.

Panthers made some nice moves.

osick87

Community Liaison
Radulov goes to MTL for 1yr/5.75Mil. Good gamble. One year deal kind of makes him keep his head down if he wants to get a big deal.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Can Las Vegas not sign any FAs right now?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Matt Read and Mark Striet firmly on the trade block to make room for Prokorov and Konecny.

Doubt Read moves for anything more than a mid-tier prospect and/or 3rd round pick

Flyers need a team willing to park Streit's salary in order for a trade to happen.