• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Trade Wars Discussion

Wooly

I gave him 9million to sign picks. Rad, and some others IIRC, were upset, saying it was past the trade deadline. I told them I don't care, same as now. Picks and cash should never matter to a trade deadline. In general, I just don't give a fuck about a trade deadline when it comes to cash and picks.

NML

I looked through every post made in the finalized trade thread by you and LC and didn't see it.

soooooooo

giphy.gif

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
I gave him 9million to sign picks. Rad, and some others IIRC, were upset, saying it was past the trade deadline. I told them I don't care, same as now. Picks and cash should never matter to a trade deadline. In general, I just don't give a fuck about a trade deadline when it comes to cash and picks.

Too bad for you others do. If this trade is allowed I'm just going to ignore the trade deadline for everything.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
too bad the rules care

Wooly

I made some kind of trade, just so he could sign picks. I had a bunch of cash and didn't mind helping him out. It must have been after the trade deadline too, because some people complained about it. It's in there somewhere. Look again.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I did see it. I believe we made an exception because it was one sim past the deadline. We didn't allow the trade with Kabul because it was well into the playoffs.

Wooly

I did see it. I believe we made an exception because it was one sim past the deadline. We didn't allow the trade with Kabul because it was well into the playoffs.

Either way. It makes no sense to restrict the timing on trades for cash or picks.

Two questions to clarify my position:
1) What is the purpose of the trade deadline?
2) How do trades for cash or picks affect the purpose of the trade deadline?

Can anyone answer these questions and give me a good reason to not allow the trade of cash and picks after the trade deadline? Is there a good reason I am missing?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Ok, I am remembering the situation more clearly now. We were still actually drafting and that cash was traded for picks during that draft. With Kabul (and similar situations FB, etc.), it was well after the draft was completed and into the signing period.

NML

Either way. It makes no sense to restrict the timing on trades for cash or picks.

Can anyone answer these questions and give me a good reason to not allow the trade of cash and picks after the trade deadline? Is there a good reason I am missing?

Why didn't you make this argument last year when JD and tony tried to trade after the deadline?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

I guess this depends on how you value properly managing your budget. You may claim that is not a good reason, but others do not agree.

Wooly

Why didn't you make this argument last year when JD and tony tried to trade after the deadline?
I didn't even know that happened. I have a busy life. I don't check on Utopia every day. Sometimes I go a week without checking in here.

I would have been ok with that trade. It doesn't affect the games or the playoffs.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't think it's fair to pull this into it. Wooly has made his position clear. He doesn't need to be on the forums every time it comes up.

But JD and Wolfman were fine with it and understood that is how it works. Its the price of going all out in IFA, FA etc. and managing your budget.

Wooly

I guess this depends on how you value properly managing your budget. You may claim that is not a good reason, but others do not agree.

Explain to me how the trade deadline actually bears on budget management and cash trades, other than "those are the rules". Give me a well reasoned argument for that rule.

kingssc

Explain to me how the trade deadline actually bears on budget management and cash trades, other than "those are the rules". Give me a well reasoned argument for that rule.

I don't think it's fair to pull this into it. Wooly has made his position clear. He doesn't need to be on the forums every time it comes up.

But JD and Wolfman were fine with it and understood that is how it works. Its the price of going all out in IFA, FA etc. and managing your budget.

TonyGin&Juice

Just take the damn L and move on before I have to put you ignore for good. Jesus Christ, how many different ways can we tell you that you're wrong before you get it?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
My argument is if you cannot manage your budget or if you opt to spend those funds elsewhere, this is the consequence. The trade deadline is the deadline for moving funds and has been. If you want that to change, we have a rule change thread and things can be discussed and put to a vote.

TonyGin&Juice

My argument is if you cannot manage your budget or if you opt to spend those funds elsewhere, this is the consequence. The trade deadline is the deadline for moving funds and has been. If you want that to change, we have a rule change thread and things can be discussed and put to a vote.

So you're suggesting rule changes aren't just @Wooly playing the fait accompli card?

Soonerfan09

So Seoul got Alejandro Romero for free last year.. guys I'd just want a 4th/5th round pick (or maybe some cash):

SS Khai Sha (decent fielder and good hitter... could be a 2-3 WAR guy IMO in the right park) http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//game/lgreports/players/player_11270.html

1B Mauro Rivera (powerful 1B owed a $14m TO) http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//game/lgreports/players/player_11394.html

SS Jesus Chavez (has been a 2 WAR player, LH, can be elite defensively): http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//game/lgreports/players/player_7104.html

Some others I wouldn't want a huge haul for:

LHRP Bill Millchamp (gr8 stuff/movement): http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//game/lgreports/players/player_10121.html

RHSP Doug Keel (IMO a fine #4-5SP): http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//game/lgreports/players/player_5909.html
Rivera just retired.

NML

@Orlando if we do have a trade, it's processed after arbitration, correct? So if you moved cash, that would put it on this year's budget?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
That's how we have done it. We don't want assets flying around before FA. If you guys want to open up that discussion, you are welcome to. Just to nip it early, I'm sure if you dug you could find a trade processed before then, but we have also seen trades of guys who were FA's so that's why we wait.

Reactions: NML

TonyGin&Juice

That's how we have done it. We don't want assets flying around before FA. If you guys want to open up that discussion, you are welcome to. Just to nip it early, I'm sure if you dug you could find a trade processed before then, but we have also seen trades of guys who were FA's so that's why we wait.

You mean I can't ask for a 10th rounder for soon to be released Raul Robles? Sorry @doh, trade is off.

Soonerfan09

If I have a guy who will be a free agent at the end of the season, how long do I have to give him a new contract? Conclusion of the Shamship/before off season starts? Before FA starts?
Basically, will I get my new budget and a chance to give him a new contract before he becomes a free agent?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
You will know your new budget though. You find that out right after the WS ends and the offseason starts. So you will have a sim to offer those guys, extend arb and accept/decline options.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
FWIW my budget has changed after that initial estimate each year since we moved to 17
Right, you may get a bump when we start the preseason, which is when our league starts FA. I don't think it ever goes down at that point, so he should be safe for making offers.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Oh he did this sim? :laughing:

Guess I get to save on that buyout. :thumbsup:

Also who wants to win the MASON BERT sweepstakes? I want to move him to make space in my OF this upcoming season.

Last edited:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Oh he did this sim? :laughing:

Guess I get to save on that buyout. :thumbsup:

Also who wants to win the MASON BERT sweepstakes? I want to move him to make space in my OF this upcoming season.
It's Bert Mason and can he still play CF?

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
1.003 Eff in 44 starts there this year.... he can still play it. Not ELITE but still good enough.

Wooly

Maybe I am still just pissed over losing yesterday after being up 3-0, so I am a little more hostile in my posting today. As you noted, I did make a trade after the trade deadline just in the name of helping Lloyd sign some picks. I remember some people being pissed. It was approved anyway. I assumed it was because no one really cared about the trade deadline when it came to picks and cash, especially if you were trying to help someone sign some picks. Anyway, apparently that is not the case, it was more the time of the draft or something. I don't remember all the details. I was wrong in assuming the trade deadline didn't matter that much to the Os when it came to draft picks and cash. but I really did think you approved that deal because you agreed with me that it was stupid. I also did not see the Tony and JD situation last year, or I would not have tried to make that trade. In fact, I have been talking with a few people about that kind of trade. I would not have done that if I knew the Buffalo deal was an exception and had I known about the Tony/JD thing last year.

If you remove the tone and acrimony in all the posts on this matter, however, and just look at the substance of the posts, I don't think anyone has given a good reason for the rule itself. These quoted responses still amount to "because it's the rule". They don't give a good reason for the rule, and here is why.

Managing a budget has nothing to do with the trade deadline, OTHER than the trade deadline is the arbitrary deadline when you can no longer trade cash. You could just as easily change the deadline to some other date, or have no date at all, and the rest of managing your budget doesn't change. The only thing that changes is whatever arbitrary time limit you put on being able to trade money. What doesn't change is the actual mechanisms of managing your budget, like trading to free up money, signing extensions, etc. NOTHING changes except you put an arbitrary time limit on actually managing your budget. It's just arbitrary, according to custom, whathaveyou, etc.

Does trading picks or cash after the trade deadline change anything fundamental about managing your budget? Managing your budget is an all year activity really, and it should be treated as such. Why does it matter if you decide to trade some picks for cash late in the year? Why does it matter if you decide to address your draft pick budget later in the year? You ought to be able to deal with your budget at any point in the year, how you see fit, as long as you are not interfering with competitive play for the playoffs (qualifying for and winning while in the playoffs). There is no good reason to limit it to the trade deadline. I will listen to any good argument about why the trade deadline should be when you can no longer trade cash or picks. I don't see one so far; I have not heard one.

Again, I ask: