• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

New League Discussion

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Yeah can we wait a year on the budget changes or ease them in? Or have some sort of an idea at this point?

I'm deciding whether to extend guys or let them walk.

NML

Yeah, that's why I'm waiting for playoffs to start so those teams aren't suddenly -40M under budget

Is budget based on actual revenue or next season projected revenue? I thought they changed it to the latter, which would mean that you’d want to wait to change it until after they are set for the season (after HoF I think)

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Well I can do the media budget changes this season (post season) and then if numbers are still wonky I can go back and manually ceiling or floor teams after the new ones come out. I thought budgets were actual revenue but it may be projected?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Here was my plan: I'd put together a DRAFT TOOL as soon as the class is generated and I would send that out to everyone. @Yankee151 and myself and anyone else who is interested in evaluating the talent would then generate UTOPIA DRAFT RANKINGS. We can even argue like Todd McShay and Mel Kiper or whatever. The result of this would be the spreadsheet, draft discussion/materials, and YANKEE'S BIG BOARD. We'd schedule the LIVE DRAFT EVENT for 1 week later so that people have a little time to prepare. There are only 16 first round picks, so even making a list wouldn't be too hard.

You can either:
1. Choose to attend the LIVE DRAFT EVENT with 5 minute clock (16 x 5 = 1 hour 20 min max and I think we'd honestly be done in an hour)
2. Send in a list to a DRAFT O to have them make a selection
3. Input ur own list into the draft website and put urself on "select from list" option
4. Request the BPA from YANKEE'S BIG BOARD (or best SP available, best 2B available, whatever)
5. Accept an OTTO BPA pick

To me, the draft should be an EVENT and one of the most fun parts of the league. At times it has been like that... but at other times we have people just taking 24 hours or 12 hours on the clock before OTTO eventually makes a selection. That sort of thing kills my immersion!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Well I can do the media budget changes this season (post season) and then if numbers are still wonky I can go back and manually ceiling or floor teams after the new ones come out. I thought budgets were actual revenue but it may be projected?

Budgets start basically as previous regular season's revenue and, but they do update during spring training I think with projected revenue? The difference typically isn't much (since projected revenue is based on last season's regular season revenue) unless you've done something crazy.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I believe the most mine ever moved was up by like $4-6M when I made some huge popular signings and upped ticket prices to take advantage of the HYPE. You'd have to ask some of the fuckin morons like urself @Yankee151 what happens if you trade everyone away in tank anticipation.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Budgets start basically as previous regular season's revenue and, but they do update during spring training I think with projected revenue? The difference typically isn't much (since projected revenue is based on last season's regular season revenue) unless you've done something crazy.
This is correct and I’ve seen changes as high as $20M

NML

Right, so if you update before ST they’ll have lower budgets for next season. Like I said, not sure what the best approach is

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Easiest would be to update the ticket prices on the first day of the offseason. A lot of the projected increase comes from season ticket sales. Depending how the team performed, who the extend and sign, fan interest will go up and season tickets will start selling. I think those sales start on the first day of preseason.

doh

What is the ticket price cap? Might as well do it now to make the changes not as sudden.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I'm going to bring the baseline tickets (currently 25) up a tad, capping from there will help bring the bottom up while not letting bigger teams go wild

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I've never taken mine above $35 fwiw and I recall a budget of roughly $185M at some point during the DECKERADES run. That being said, that fuck wooly was taking 1st in the league to my 2nd a lot during that span!

Looking at old attendance numbers, my stadium might be larger than @Dohs because I had some attendance numbers of almost 3.8 M whereas LV topped out at around 3.5M or so. I would assume both of us had years where we were mostly maxing attendance and the fact that I had more means my stadium is probably bigger than his. DAMs got up to almost 4M so my guess is they are bigger than Doh's as well. It could also just be that DOH has a better strategy of setting ticket prices higher to make more, even though his attendance numbers were lower?

Honestly, I think it would be cool if we could make financial details viewable for all owners, because it might help understand and explain the system to new players. I tried to piece it all together from the website financial reports and that is just kinda a mess.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'd be interested to know what the overall range was, I think mine is 47k! I been cheatin all along.

doh

I've never taken mine above $35 fwiw and I recall a budget of roughly $185M at some point during the DECKERADES run. That being said, that fuck wooly was taking 1st in the league to my 2nd a lot during that span!

Looking at old attendance numbers, my stadium might be larger than @Dohs because I had some attendance numbers of almost 3.8 M whereas LV topped out at around 3.5M or so. I would assume both of us had years where we were mostly maxing attendance and the fact that I had more means my stadium is probably bigger than his. DAMs got up to almost 4M so my guess is they are bigger than Doh's as well. It could also just be that DOH has a better strategy of setting ticket prices higher to make more, even though his attendance numbers were lower?

Honestly, I think it would be cool if we could make financial details viewable for all owners, because it might help understand and explain the system to new players. I tried to piece it all together from the website financial reports and that is just kinda a mess.
I was up to $218m budget before I set my tix prices to $42.69. It has certainly curtailed my budget. Lowering it to $35 I assume would lower my budget about $25-27m from where it is now based on my current projection of $145m in gate revenues: 145*(35/42.69). If my capacity increased to 44,000 those extra 200 seats would bring me just an extra half mil if I sold out every game.

Capacity doesn't really matter though unless we make everyones capacity the same which I guess we should since we are limiting what you can charge for tix.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I was up to $218m budget before I set my tix prices to $42.69. It has certainly curtailed my budget. Lowering it to $35 I assume would lower my budget about $25-27m from where it is now based on my current projection of $145m in gate revenues: 145*(35/42.69). If my capacity increased to 44,000 those extra 200 seats would bring me just an extra half mil if I sold out every game.

Capacity doesn't really matter though unless we make everyones capacity the same which I guess we should since we are limiting what you can charge for tix.

The other part to remember is you'll get hit with a little less revenue sharing, so I think this might be something @Yankee151 will have to run a SENSITIVITY analysis on.

Seoul and LV are both sitting at like .725 win % so this is a good time to run an EXTREME case scenario, because these are pretty atypical win totals (which is obviously why ur budget so high). Probably good to check what a $35 ticket price looks like on a .600 team.

doh

The other part to remember is you'll get hit with a little less revenue sharing, so I think this might be something @Yankee151 will have to run a SENSITIVITY analysis on.

Seoul and LV are both sitting at like .725 win % so this is a good time to run an EXTREME case scenario, because these are pretty atypical win totals (which is obviously why ur budget so high). Probably good to check what a $35 ticket price looks like on a .600 team.
Funny you bring that up but I was just thinking about it.... revenue sharing is going to decrease significantly. I'm curious how artificially capping budgets will impact this.

Not sure if this is possible @Yankee151 -- but I still think the best solution would be increase IFA tax, introduce a luxury payroll tax and increase revenue sharing. It seems like we are past that point but I've always been of the belief that if you increase "dead" money, that will even things out the most.

There are tons of small budget teams that are making insane profits too. Lots of the financial "problems" are tied to teams just not being run.

It's a strange year. Moscow has gone to hell after being a great rival. Other teams are tanking/not interested. This is an outlier season plus my win % is going to decrease because of injuries/resting guys/etc.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable

My owner also gave me the competing goals of "cut payroll to $95m" and "win the championship" so who even knows what's going on.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
To me, the REAL concern, beyond budget (which can be remedied with HELICOPTER PAYMENTS if necessary) is that the HAVE NOT-OTTO teams are all starting with absolutely destroyed systems. I know that dumb fuck sooner said he'd quit if we VOLUNTARILY send prospects to new owners, but the reality is they need some way to jump start the system if we want to keep the regular WBL going by helping new owners. I realized this when I tried to trade some AAAA players to @hayvis and he didn't have anything to trade me, lol.

Not only does OTTO leave you with zero budget, but he sucks at drafting so bad that you don't even get the good prospects one would assume come with having the 1-1 pick for DECKADES

Here are the top systems:
1565212551228.png

For some of them OTTO teams at the bottom I think they should receive compensatory draft picks and I think the HAVES should voluntarily send them prospects as well.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I was also around 15th when I started. It's just because OTTO is super dumb and takes a 30 Control guy 1-4 just because he has 65 stuff.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
My owner also gave me the competing goals of "cut payroll to $95m" and "win the championship" so who even knows what's going on.

source.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I was also around 15th when I started. It's just because OTTO is super dumb and takes a 30 Control guy 1-4 just because he has 65 stuff.

Fortunately you have experience with rebuilding after all ur dumb tanking experiences... but what about new owners?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think comp picks is absolutely the way to go... but Ya'll really don't understand the word voluntary still!

If we get a new owner I'll send them some prospects (not my best ones, but better than what they have!). I think other haves should also do the same to help keep new owners around (nobody likes playing OTTO). For a stacked team most of those guys are depth or AAAA anyway.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
While I have you @OU11:

We need to really confirm who is in and who is out. Is @Mr. Radpants still in? @Orlando is for sure out, so if Dublin is open too that also means no @OU11. We need a confirmed list of available teams since we have people who want to join but I'm not sure where to point them. As of right now this is what I have:

Available:
Lisbon
Helsingborg

Available if Rad Quits:
Dublin
Amsterdam

Available if we need an extra team for a new owner and don't want to wait until 20 for Wolfman:
Kabul

Secretly Available for Reel, provided there's a team available for Travis:
North Dakota

NML

I’m skeptical that any of the ideas with support get implemented, let alone ur VOLUNTARY PROSPECT DONATIONS one

Schauwn

While I have you @OU11:

We need to really confirm who is in and who is out. Is @Mr. Radpants still in? @Orlando is for sure out, so if Dublin is open too that also means no @OU11. We need a confirmed list of available teams since we have people who want to join but I'm not sure where to point them. As of right now this is what I have:

Available:
Lisbon
Helsingborg

Available if Rad Quits:
Dublin
Amsterdam

Available if we need an extra team for a new owner and don't want to wait until 20 for Wolfman:
Kabul

Secretly Available for Reel, provided there's a team available for Travis:
North Dakota
Anyone have a spare key for OOTP?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I’m skeptical that any of the ideas with support get implemented, let alone ur VOLUNTARY PROSPECT DONATIONS one

You show me a new owner, and I'll money mouth. I'm trying to give away my whole damn team... but none of ur mythical new owners are even here!

My GAUNTLET CLAIM ideas was the best IMO. Helps keep minor leagues cleaned up and gives HAVE NOTS a chance to grab some AAAA guys!

doh

You show me a new owner, and I'll money mouth. I'm trying to give away my whole damn team... but none of ur mythical new owners are even here!
If you neuter the league for the owners who actually play (and get some to quit), these mythical owners will join!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
NML should be a fucking local government employee... just constantly bitching about everything and never part of the solution! WANTS TO COMPLAIN UNTIL EVERYONE ELSE DOES EVERYTHING AND THEN HE STILL GONNA COMPLAIN NO MATTER WHAT

NML

NML should be a fucking local government employee... just constantly bitching about everything and never part of the solution! WANTS TO COMPLAIN UNTIL EVERYONE ELSE DOES EVERYTHING AND THEN HE STILL GONNA COMPLAIN NO MATTER WHAT

I literally laid out an entire solution and did all the leg work for it

NML

START THE NEW LEAGUE THEN, YOU MISERABLE CUNT! I SAID I'D PLAY.

I feel like I was pretty clear I was gonna give the WBL a chance to fill out/implement new ideas

You did get the league name and OOTP version right!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
No, I want to see all the fucking legwork! Show me what them riggers look like in the NBL! How do your new servers look for the website?

Reactions: NML