• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

International Soccer

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I wish we could go back and see that thread about no shot clock in high school basketball and compare/contrast the views. Tiki Taka = Basketball without a shot clock.

Milo

Since Poland and the Czech Republic ran us over in 2002 and 2006, Prussia no longer exists, and it may be awhile before Scotland or Ireland are in the World Cup again, you're screwed.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I think the loser of Engerland vs Italy is going to flame out big time and not make it out of that group. Either way, I think it will be entertaining.

No. That has 0-0 written all over it. Then England are squeaked out at the group stage. I think we'll draw all three games, or maybe beat Costa Rica and go out on goal difference. We have a really solid centre defensively, so draws are going to be our signature, especially in that heat. If we go through, look for us to draw and then go out on penalties.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah that Italy-England game is going to be a tie. It's probably going to be brutal to watch, too. Heat and neither team can really afford to lose? Yikes.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Zee Germans
tumblr_inline_mi575oLrLE1qz4rgp.gif

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Does Brazil have a bad ass one name player on their kit this year? I know they had a Ronaldino, a Ronaldo and a Ca Ca in the past, but now Ronaldo plays for Portugal. He's a handsome fella. Way better looking than Beckham imo.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Helpful chart to select your team (sorry about the size):

worldcupflowchartfinal-watermark.png

I got England :(

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Not that it matters, but now 5 of 6 of FIFA'S corporate sponsors have called for investigations into Qatar. Don't think they'd actually pull out, though. Only one missing is Emirates, Probably because the UAE would benefit from the WC being right next door. (The other 5 are Sony, Visa, Hyundai, Coke, and Adidas)

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
If I bet money on a team to win the world cup with the current odds, I would pick France . I think the odds that could tempt me. Depending on where you are looking, Engerland Italy and Belgium all give you worst odds and France gives you the same odds as Portugal, Uruguay, or the Netherlands. I think that's mostly because people tend to remember what they saw last and that was France flaming out in glorious fashion. To me they have a much better chance at winning the world cup than all the "other" Euro teams outside of Spain/Germany. I see a young roster with a lot of good players and all of the trog-king dramatards (except Evra) from the last world cup out of the lineup. That midfield with Pogba, Matuidi, Cabaye looks great and they have arguably the easiest group. Lloris is the type of GK who can make the big saves that keep you in games and their defense should be pretty solid. The question to me is if they can score goals. I think with such a solid young midfield, Benzema will look better than the shit player he typically looks like for France. At like 25:1 odds, I think they'd be the bet I'd make.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
If I bet money on a team to win the world cup with the current odds, I would pick France . I think the odds that could tempt me. Depending on where you are looking, Engerland Italy and Belgium all give you worst odds and France gives you the same odds as Portugal, Uruguay, or the Netherlands. I think that's mostly because people tend to remember what they saw last and that was France flaming out in glorious fashion. To me they have a much better chance at winning the world cup than all the "other" Euro teams outside of Spain/Germany. I see a young roster with a lot of good players and all of the trog-king dramatards (except Evra) from the last world cup out of the lineup. That midfield with Pogba, Matuidi, Cabaye looks great and they have arguably the easiest group. Lloris is the type of GK who can make the big saves that keep you in games and their defense should be pretty solid. The question to me is if they can score goals. I think with such a solid young midfield, Benzema will look better than the shit player he typically looks like for France. At like 25:1 odds, I think they'd be the bet I'd make.

France are always trog-king dramatards. They will do their thing. My bet outside Spain (who will win), would be Italy, as the pace of this World Cup is absolutely suited to them. It's going to be a hot and slow competition, with Spain or Italy coming out top, because they have the patience to grind other teams down. IMO, the attacking teams will get to the knockout rounds and then get shot down (Germany/Argentina etc..).

worst2first

Since it seems there is an almost universal expectation that the US will be eliminated early on, I'm also going to support...

les Diables Rouges!

I also wouldn't mind seeing Greece and Russia do well.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Having said that, if they weren't trog-king dramatards, France would suit my blueprint of a slow tactical winner. But they are trog-king dramatards (I like saying trog-king dramatards).

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I can see ur point about Italy and I agree with it, but I honestly think Spain will get run over at some point because they are old. I think they will face a different type of opposition than they did in 2010 or 2012 Euros. Everyone now knows that it isn't a fluke and if you let them play their game they will win, so I expect teams to be a lot more aggressive against Spain and force them to play at a more aggressive game. At that point, I think we'll either see Spain dice up over aggressive teams, or we will see Spain look incredibly vulnerable to counters. I don't think there are many teams that will sit around and let Spain piddle around for the entire game. I think their eventual downfall will be the fact that their holding midfield players are so old and slow at this point that they are borderline liabilities at times on their club teams against counter attacks. If Xabi Alonso and Xavi are both in the game, Spain are just asking to get hammered on the counter (at which point Ramos or Pique will get a red card).

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Having said that, if they weren't trog-king dramatards, France would suit my blueprint of a slow tactical winner. But they are trog-king dramatards (I like saying trog-king dramatards).

Oh I agree. I just think at 25:1 they are tempting, because I think the dramatarding is like a 50/50 thing at best. I think they have great potential for flaming out early, but I also think they have more upside than Italy or Engerland as far as winning the whole thing.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/06/09/greece-world-cup-2014/

Seeing red

Conclusion
Greece will be better than the majority of neutrals hope. They keep clean sheets, they’re highly physical, and they’re compact and organised.
It’s tough to see where the excitement will come from, but Greece could be the type of side who make the second round despite scoring only a couple of goals in the group stage.

If this happens I'll lose it, Colombia, Japan, Ivory Coast PLS send them home with 0 pts, 0 goals

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I can see ur point about Italy and I agree with it, but I honestly think Spain will get run over at some point because they are old. I think they will face a different type of opposition than they did in 2010 or 2012 Euros. Everyone now knows that it isn't a fluke and if you let them play their game they will win, so I expect teams to be a lot more aggressive against Spain and force them to play at a more aggressive game. At that point, I think we'll either see Spain dice up over aggressive teams, or we will see Spain look incredibly vulnerable to counters. I don't think there are many teams that will sit around and let Spain piddle around for the entire game. I think their eventual downfall will be the fact that their holding midfield players are so old and slow at this point that they are borderline liabilities at times on their club teams against counter attacks. If Xabi Alonso and Xavi are both in the game, Spain are just asking to get hammered on the counter (at which point Ramos or Pique will get a red card).

I just don't see anyone doing much running over. International competitions have become more and more tactical over the last couple of tournaments. Possession football has caused too many teams to set up with a lone striker, for aggressive tactics to work. IMO, this is why Mourinho won EVERY game against top four opposition in the EPL last season, and the same reason why slow, canny, experienced teams will beat the aggressive ones in the World Cup. Man City won the premier league because they rolled over shitty teams with aggression, but that doesn't translate to international, knockout football. This is also the reason why I think Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina don't satnd a snowball in hells chance (add Germany to that too).