• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

International Soccer

Chase

Literally the worst Brazil team ever to set foot on a football pitch.

The same squad that destroyed Spain 3-0 in the Confederations Cup final last year. I'm surprised they aren't bigger favorites to win it all.

Anxiously awaiting everyone's group predictions. Far more fun/interesting to wager $$$ on group winner props.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
The same squad that destroyed Spain 3-0 in the Confederations Cup final last year. I'm surprised they aren't bigger favorites to win it all.

Anxiously awaiting everyone's group predictions. Far more fun/interesting to wager $$$ on group winner props.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Brazil certainly aren't as scary on paper as they usually are, but being hosts obviously has its advantages. If I'm not mistaken, Spain (2010) was the first Euro team to win a WC that wasn't located in Europe.

Brazil and Argentina both won WC's located in Mexico, and Brazil won one in Europe (like 50 or 60 years ago).

History would point to a South American team winning this year.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
The absolute best part about the EA world cup game is this "Will England ever win another World Cup" discussion by the Men in Blazers. One guy says yes, they'll have to win another one eventually. The other guy takes a look at the odds and figures England is going to be 20:1 chance of winning this World Cup, and that those odds will only get worse as time goes on, lol. So he figures somewhere between 60 years and 200 years for England to have some freakish luck and win a World Cup, but he doesn't think the human race will last that long without killing ourselves off, so his answer was no. It was easily the most cynical thing I've ever heard in a video game and I literally just stopped and waited in the pre-game portion of FIFA so I could listen to the rest of his rant.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Worst team ever just seemed like a stretch. Seems like a solid team with some really good young players.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
The only thing they really lack is a 9, Fred won't cut it. But it's worked for Portugal (the whole amazing LW, shitty 9 combo) for the past 3 tournaments, so they'll be fine. If they don't make it to at least Quarters (if not Semis) it'd be a massive shock.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
To me Brazil's 2010 team was worse. I like their defense better this time around and to me that's the main thing that matters for them.

The Fred hate is weird to me because Brazil gonna score plenty of goals regardless and Fred is a poacher type who cleans up slop goals, and there is value in that. His retarded crawling on the ground goal vs Spain in confed cup was a good example.

I mean you have to watch the replay like 4 times to see how he manages to pull off that garbage. I wouldn't' count that shit in Foosball, but strikers who can score that nonsense are good in my book, especially when they are surrounded by actual good players. Mario Gomez effect, if you will.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
You non-editing plebes can dionne at me. Only heathens triple post when they could expand their argument via edit.

Snorky's Shame

Name one that was worse.

To be fair, 2002 wasn't that highly thought of before the tournament. Still Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho are better than anybody in Brazil's midfield and forward line right now.

I think it's just culture shock that Brazil's best players are defenders at the moment.

Thinking 1990 maybe for Brazil's worst team? Still that team went undefeated in the group stage but ran into an ultra-defensive Argentina in the round of 16.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Fred will 'cut' it in the sense that teams can play without having a fat ronaldo/Klose type up top lately (see 3/4 euro 2012 semifinalists, both Confed Cup finalists), but he's not a typical Brazillian 9. That's the only position where they are "literally the worst Brazillian ever".

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Fred will 'cut' it in the sense that teams can play without having a fat ronaldo/Klose type up top lately (see 3/4 euro 2012 semifinalists, both Confed Cup finalists), but he's not a typical Brazillian 9. That's the only position where they are "literally the worst Brazillian ever".

Take Fred's name out your mouth if you can't say nothin nice

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
You non-editing plebes can dionne at me. Only heathens triple post when they could expand their argument via edit.

Get it right the first time.

The the best thing about your edits is they always add multiple paragraphs :laughing: so I always assume your posts are just placeholders

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Worst team ever just seemed like a stretch. Seems like a solid team with some really good young players.
Brazil has always had amazing teams. They just don't at the moment (for the first time ever). I think it's because players are staying longer in Brazil to play their football, rather than honing their skills in Europe.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
The only thing they really lack is a 9, Fred won't cut it. But it's worked for Portugal (the whole amazing LW, shitty 9 combo) for the past 3 tournaments, so they'll be fine. If they don't make it to at least Quarters (if not Semis) it'd be a massive shock.
Midfield is average (at elite international level).

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
A midfield with Fernandinho and Ramires on the bench is not average. I think you underestimate how good Paulinho, Hernanes, Luiz Gustavo have been for Brazil. And Oscar is probably the best 10 in the tournament.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I can't wait until 2038 when the US wins the world cup by playing a 5-2-3 formation on ultra defensive/counter attacking. We will have 1 "technical" player on the team and he'll play in one of the CDM spots and make great passes up to the forwards while regaling the rest of the team with stories about Liverpool's 1996 season. The other CDM will be a classic destroyer type who is mute and only knows one passing technique (FULL POWER). The wings will be Olympic class sprinters who are forbidden to ever shoot at goal unless we are up by more than 3 goals (only crossing allowed) and the lone striker will be a 6'7 (7'0 if you count the fro) dude named Leroy who can only score goals with his head. We will have kicked our best player off the team during qualifiers when he tries to make us play Tiki Taka.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
A midfield with Fernandinho on the bench is not average. I think you underestimate how good Paulinho, Hernanes, Luiz Gustavo have been for Brazil. And Oscar is probably the best 10 in the tournament.
I agree with you that they will get to the semis, but I definitely don't think they will win it. I think they are a top 5 team, just that they are not as good as any previous Brazil team going back to WWII (off the top of my head that is; I'm sure someone might come up with a shit Brazil team). I just think that those players that you have mentioned (other than Oscar; who is still too raw IMO) are not a midfield capable of winning a World Cup.

Snorky's Shame

A midfield with Fernandinho on the bench is not average. I think you underestimate how good Paulinho, Hernanes, Luiz Gustavo have been for Brazil. And Oscar is probably the best 10 in the tournament.

For Brazil it is average.

There's no Socrates, Zico, Dunga, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho or Kaka in that group. I'm not even sure there's a Rai.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
For Brazil it is average.

There's no Socrates, Zico, Dunga, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho or Kaka in that group. I'm not even sure there's a Rai.

Brazil's midfield is perfectly athletic; they're just not magicians with the ball like past Brazilian MF's.

@[user]Travis7401[/user] can claim a great victory if Brazil wins the whole thing.

NML

They lack an elite striker and goalkeeper. That's a recipe for international disaster.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
They lack an elite striker and goalkeeper. That's a recipe for international disaster.

lol @ NML coming in with his traditional wisdom tropes. Like "Striker" matters for a team as fluid as Brazil. 10 dudes on that team can score goals so who cares if the "striker" isn't elite. Who was Spain's "elite" striker in 2010/2012? Fernando Torres scoring garbage time goals that don't matter? VROOOM.

GK won't matter much either since Brazil's defense is BTT approved.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
We're fucked then, because Klinsmann left our elite World Cup goal scorer at home. :trollface:

Even worse, our current striker only looks good once every 20 games or so, and he just had his good game. He's due for another drought of 19 games.

NML

Even worse, our current striker only looks good once every 20 games or so, and he just had his good game. He's due for another drought of 19 games.

Mike Gundy that's not true

Jozy is, historically, a very streaky player. Hopefully this is the start of a hot streak that ends with us in the quarters.

chibob

From what iv seen in the build up games, my favorites have shifted.

Netherlands, France and Germany look like the teams.

NML

Neymar's a winger and I doubt he plays a minute anywhere else.

They definitely don't have 10 goal scorers either. Neymar, Hulk, Fred, and ??? Oscar scores occasionally I guess. So does Hernanes.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Archetypal position discussions relative to fluid/dynamic players/soccer are why English speaking people cannot appreciate Tim Tebow or Darren Sproles and why we'll never succeed at playing or understanding fluid/dynamic soccer. We have that crippling Anglo/Germanic need to categorize things that simply doesn't exist in latin cultures. This shit drives me nuts about talking sports with my compatriots. My point is that it doesn't matter if you call Neymar/Ronaldo/Villa strikers or wings or where they appear on the Anglo/Germanic pre-game starting lineup graphic, they spend the whole game attacking and go score goals like strikers and therefore saying "Brazil lacks an elite striker" fails to take into account the fluid nature of their goal scoring potential and is therefore a trog criticism.

This is the same reason why Trent Richardson is worth a first round pick and Darren Sproles is worth a 7th round pick. Production be damned, Trent Richardson looks like how we want a traditional every down running back to look and Darren Sproles doesn't.

Last edited:

NML

Okay well Fred is on the field and he's not that good. Whoever their keeper is isn't that good and he'll let in at least one goal that he shouldn't.

I still think they'll be good, I was just pointing out their weak points.