• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2022: The Offseason Thread - The Breakup Song

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Illinois is a bigger media market and UIUC is even only like the 4th most popular school in their own state so shut the fuck up. Invests like 3x as much in research as Oregon.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
It is merit based, just not on FOOTBAW

Illinois, Minnesota and Rutgers (generally considered the bottom of the Big Ten) have endowments ranging from $2-4bil. Oregon's is like $775mil. They are simply bigger, more nationally recognized universities and the Big Ten has made it clear that they still care about research prowess apparently.

Last edited:

Mame YO

slings rocks
wtf. Somehow I completely missed this news, it broke while I was camping. This is like the 4th major news item that I missed lol.

coogrfan

Q: If the Pac-12 were to expand, would they expand with two or four (like the Big 12)? What times do you believe are the most likely expansion candidates from the P5, G5, and most likely overall? — @SCOTTLAKE0

A:
The Pac-12 will follow ESPN’s lead on this one. As a result, I’m looking at the best available TV markets and that makes the Big 12’s Baylor and Houston interesting targets. Beyond that, keep an eye on San Diego State and SMU. If the conference wants a presence in Southern California and Texas that could be achieved by adding those two universities. Boise State and Fresno State are interesting for different reasons but I’d place them at longer odds.

Mame YO

slings rocks
None of those schools work, they would all be charity cases. Splitting up an ever smaller pie doesn’t save the PAC.

It makes way more sense for the BIG to cherry pick a few more west coast schools and notre dame, split into 4 5-6 team regional divisions. This works for traditional rivalries and the pac/big rose bowl connection. notre dame in a conference with Stanford and USC makes sense.

This makes a lot more sense for the other sports too so you could have regional away trips.

Ander1345

Q: If the Pac-12 were to expand, would they expand with two or four (like the Big 12)? What times do you believe are the most likely expansion candidates from the P5, G5, and most likely overall? — @SCOTTLAKE0

A:
The Pac-12 will follow ESPN’s lead on this one. As a result, I’m looking at the best available TV markets and that makes the Big 12’s Baylor and Houston interesting targets. Beyond that, keep an eye on San Diego State and SMU. If the conference wants a presence in Southern California and Texas that could be achieved by adding those two universities. Boise State and Fresno State are interesting for different reasons but I’d place them at longer odds.

UTSA, San Antonio is a big, rising media market.

Unsure what SMU base looks like but Dallas is huge.

I don't think any of these schools should be interested in the PAC-12 without massive promises or something.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
SMU is a smallish private school that focuses mainly on business, education, and law, and they're outranked in popularity in DFW by a bunch of schools. Not sure they're what the Pac would want.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
SMU is also right next to one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country.

Yeah well, so is Pepperdine.

Oh, you haven't heard of the mighty Pepperdine Waves?

Exactly.

Pac12 dead because Juicy hasn't been a national power in a generation, and USC hamstrung hisselfs with the worst corch in its history. Oregon got close but no cigar in the ship, and the rest of the Pac regularly embarrasses hisself in bowl games, particularly bowl games that are watched. No one cares if WSU beats, well, anybody. Even the Zonas couldn't get any recognition when the rest of the Pac was garbage.

Honestly not sure how I feel about USC and UCLA going to the B14G. I like that it'll mean more competitive games more often, and more national recognition (and less pooh-poohing of accomplishments because of a weak-ass Pac) but it's just strange to have a collegiate conference with schools separated by thousands of miles.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
9226964.gif

Mame YO

slings rocks
idk man the more I think about it and the more rumors I see online, the more I would like to see some combination of Oregon/Washington/Stanford (plus maybe Cal because rivalries?) go to the Big 10, while the AZ schools, Utah, Colorado join the big 12. Anybody left out ends up in the MWC (Oregon State and Washington State, maybe Cal?). Obviously the PAC no longer exists in this scenario.

Depending on how many teams they would want, the BIG could form a 20 or 24 team mega conference, with 5-6 west coast teams to form a western division. If Clemson and FSU are going to the SEC (they are), the Big 10 could poach a few east coast teams (I honestly have no clue on this point, fill in the blanks for me) and end up with a 24 team mega conference with 4 regional divisions, or they could just stick with 20 teams and leave the ACC remnants out of it. I think this mostly makes sense financially, geographically, and retains most of the relevant rivalry games. Seems like TV execs would be happy to have games across every US time zone?

Could have a BIG vs SEC nashnul preceeded by divisional and conference shampionships, effectively an 8 team playoff?

Brick

fuck it, should just form a mega PAC of teams west of rockies and add 6 to get to 16

byu
sdsu
fresno
boise
colorado state
nevada

*note this has nothing to do with BIDNESS just FUN

if you want to get MEGA add chuds like UNLV, sjsu, etc.

Mame YO

slings rocks
fuck it, should just form a mega PAC of teams west of rockies and add 6 to get to 16

byu
sdsu
fresno
boise
colorado state
nevada

*note this has nothing to do with BIDNESS just FUN

if you want to get MEGA add chuds like UNLV, sjsu, etc.
yeah, I keep seeing something like this too but it doesn't make sense for BIDNESS imo

Ander1345

idk man the more I think about it and the more rumors I see online, the more I would like to see some combination of Oregon/Washington/Stanford (plus maybe Cal because rivalries?) go to the Big 10, while the AZ schools, Utah, Colorado join the big 12. Anybody left out ends up in the MWC (Oregon State and Washington State, maybe Cal?). Obviously the PAC no longer exists in this scenario.

Depending on how many teams they would want, the BIG could form a 20 or 24 team mega conference, with 5-6 west coast teams to form a western division. If Clemson and FSU are going to the SEC (they are), the Big 10 could poach a few east coast teams (I honestly have no clue on this point, fill in the blanks for me) and end up with a 24 team mega conference with 4 regional divisions, or they could just stick with 20 teams and leave the ACC remnants out of it. I think this mostly makes sense financially, geographically, and retains most of the relevant rivalry games. Seems like TV execs would be happy to have games across every US time zone?

Could have a BIG vs SEC nashnul preceeded by divisional and conference shampionships, effectively an 8 team playoff?

Cal's Athletic Department is in financial shambles so they're not really appealing to any conference including their own.

It's a shame because it's the campus is amazing and beautiful.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
somebody already figured it all out, get it done

I can't see the Big Ten taking Boston College and Virginia Tech unless UNC and UVA were already scooped up by the SEC. Florida State and Miami are also prolly more attractive to them based on all factors.

Then again, a whole lot of things that don't make sense are going to happen in the next couple of years so who knows.

Ander1345

I can't see the Big Ten taking Boston College and Virginia Tech unless UNC and UVA were already scooped up by the SEC. Florida State and Miami are also prolly more attractive to them based on all factors.

Then again, a whole lot of things that don't make sense are going to happen in the next couple of years so who knows.

Pretty much any thing that happens in this context makes sense if you think about it from the perspective of it makes maissive amounts of money for someone.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Cal's Athletic Department is in financial shambles so they're not really appealing to any conference including their own.

It's a shame because it's the campus is amazing and beautiful.

For too long, Cal has marketed itself as a ultra-liberal super-nerd college that few atholetes would want to come to. They're the college equivalent of those magnet high schools where all of the kids are super high achievers, but no one is really interested in sports.