• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2023 Season: The Week 13 Thread - The End (unless someone @‘s Mame, then there is no end)

Skeeter

Uber felon
You’re telling me you’ve never, as an Ohio state fan, watched your team lose to a team that Ohio state would probably beat a majority of the time if they lined up 10 times?

What I’m saying isn’t even controversial. Outside of utopia, the entire college football world thinks that Oregon is one of the best teams this year. A lot of people watched that Oregon-UW game and felt like Oregon could’ve easily won it. I’m not here to play what ifs but if you’re asking me if I think Oregon is the better overall team, absolutely yes. Better lines. Better defense at every position. Better running backs. Better depth. They’re a better overall team.

UW has a trio of NFL wide recievers and a good qb and because of that they have a chance to beat just about anybody because nobody really has an answer for that matchup. They have also struggled almost every week while Oregon is blowing teams out because UW’s defense is bad and they have no depth. Their defense is worse than Oregon’s defense was last year and @Brick still never shuts up about that Oregon defense but we don’t talk about UW’s deficiencies on here at all because ya’ll are too busy rooting for them to beat Oregon.
Just because I feel a way, doesn't make it the truth. This is where your confusion is coming from. You're twisting yourself in knots to try and support a ridiculous argument.

1. They played.
2. Oregon lost
3. Washington didn't cheat...that we know of.
4 Washington is better.

Why they are better doesn't matter. What perceived advantage you think Oregon has or had doesn't matter.

They played the game. It's not a hypothetical.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Just because I feel a way, doesn't make it the truth. This is where your confusion is coming from. You're twisting yourself in knots to try and support a ridiculous argument.

1. They played.
2. Oregon lost
4 Washington is better.

Why they are better doesn't matter. What perceived advantage you think Oregon has or had doesn't matter.

There's a thread for this now.

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
I just don't understand people who turn into sperglord megafans of schools they didn't go to. Are you putting this much effort into being a fan when Oregon sucks? Or for the basketball team?

I don’t see an issue with this, especially with a school that isn’t necessarily the flavor of the week. I think there’s an underlying elitism to that sort of criticism (people are often referred to as “Walmart fans”).

Mame YO

slings rocks

1. They played.
2. Oregon lost
4 Washington is better.

It’s perfectly fine to accept that 1) Oregon lost the game while also believing that 2) they're the better team and would probably win if they got to play again.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I think the difference in that is that karl is tom bout sperglord megafans instead of someone who just likes a team. Mame defends oregon like it's his sole purpose on earth
I’ll address this: I’m not saying unreasonable things. Despite that, half the forum is trying to bait me. I don’t have a problem responding and defending my position but it’s kind of annoying when people then complain that I’m responding to their arguments lol.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I’ll address this: I’m not saying unreasonable things. Despite that, half the forum is trying to bait me. I don’t have a problem responding and defending my position but it’s kind of annoying when people then complain that I’m responding to their arguments lol.

The problem is you respond and defend your position on every single post. Of course we're going to say dumb shit because we know you can't help urself.

It's even easier when UW definitely beat oregon but you blame it on their ELITE QB/WR combo yet you seem to think oregon also has an ELITE QB/WR combo. If what you say about oregon is true they should have scored 20 more points on UW and won but they didn't so it's fun to bring that up when you argue how much better oregon is than UW.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I mean the DOGWATER UW defense that is so much worse at every position than oregon held an oregon offense that is better than UW to less points.

We can meme at you all day long

Mame YO

slings rocks
The problem is you respond and defend your position on every single post. Of course we're going to say dumb shit because we know you can't help urself.

It's even easier when UW definitely beat oregon but you blame it on their ELITE QB/WR combo yet you seem to think oregon also has an ELITE QB/WR combo. If what you say about oregon is true they should have scored 20 more points on UW and won but they didn't so it's fun to bring that up when you argue how much better oregon is than UW.
Utopia: Oregon sucks
Me: they’re really good this year, actually (which is true!)
*this goes on for 50 posts*
Utopia: shut up mame, you’re ruining the thread!

And again, it’s entirely possible and reasonable to acknowledge that while Oregon lost earlier in the year, I believe they would have the advantage in a hypothetical rematch - especially considering that it’s very likely that they will actually play each other again. And again, I’m not the only person who believes this. Basically everyone who watches college football who doesn’t post on utopia or live in Seattle believes this or at least considers it to be a reasonable take.

It happens every year. Again, nobody thinks Texas would beat bama if they played again this weekend. Texas beat bama by 10 in Tuscaloosa. UW won by 3 in Seattle.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Well Ewers is out so yeah they'd lose to Bama now lol.

Oregon is good, UW has the win so they are more deserving right now. We can review that statement when UW loses but oregon will need to get through the BEAVS and PWNTINEZ first.

There is no point arguing how good oregon is yet since they need to beat two teams they haven't been able to beat in 2 years. Do that first and then you can STRUT

Mame YO

slings rocks
Well Ewers is out so yeah they'd lose to Bama now lol.

Oregon is good, UW has the win so they are more deserving right now. We can review that statement when UW loses but oregon will need to get through the BEAVS and PWNTINEZ first.

There is no point arguing how good oregon is yet since they need to beat two teams they haven't been able to beat in 2 years. Do that first and then you can STRUT
Look, I’m not trying to ignore the results on the field. I have repeatedly said that I acknowledge the loss. Oregon losing by 3 in Seattle doesn’t make them bad and it doesn’t even make them worse. All I’m saying is that if you actually look at these two rosters, look at what they’ve achieved on the year, Oregon is just a better team overall. I’ve even stated multiple times that they could very well lose to UW again! I’ve tried to insert this nuance into what I’m saying, a lot of utopians doing exactly what you accused me of and not reading my posts before responding.

Just look at common opponents if you want. I don’t do TRANSITIVE PROPERTY but basically every opponent that both have faced, Oregon performed better by a lot.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Is Oregon guaranteed a spot in the CCG? Because they have the game on their official schedule page. Hubris never ends well

Mame YO

slings rocks
If I gave you’ll my civil war game preview you’d whine. Just know that there won’t be an upset this year.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I don’t see an issue with this, especially with a school that isn’t necessarily the flavor of the week. I think there’s an underlying elitism to that sort of criticism (people are often referred to as “Walmart fans”).

Most of these people are fine. Being able to talk Sooner football at THE BAR in Wewoka is great, better than getting stabbed or hit over the head with a horseshoe stake. But then you have whatever is going on in here, or at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Wichita Falls when like 10 guys got arrested for brawling during the OU-Texas game one year when I lived there.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Karl, I’m just responding to your posts. If you’ll don’t like it stop talking shit. If you go back through the last few pages half the forum is trying to dunk on me for being an Oregon homer lol what do you think I’m gon’ do?

Mame YO

slings rocks
Ya’ll could just as easily do the same! See? Idk why you’ll go around poking bears and then whining about it when you get a predictable result.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Karl, I’m just responding to your posts. If you’ll don’t like it stop talking shit. If you go back through the last few pages half the forum is trying to dunk on me for being an Oregon homer lol what do you think I’m gon’ do?

I mean you could just enjoy college football for what it is. My enjoyment factor has gone up 110% once I stopped taking it all so seriously. I'm sure some of you'll frown on the Sickos Committee and that stuff but I love it. There's a lot to love from this dumb beautiful sport if you can just not be so SRS about it.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Ya’ll could just as easily do the same! See? Idk why you’ll go around poking bears and then whining about it when you get a predictable result.
Brick has the same problem you have when it comes to college football, he just hides it better

Mame YO

slings rocks
Nah before I would let you guys ruin my whole day. Now I’m just going to dish it back out. It’s all good. That whole FSU thing was me being serious about the argument, I think there is some merit to it although I realize it’s unpopular/unlikely - but also I knew I was kind of kicking a hornets nest. I also found it kind of funny because southpaw and Kella literally just said the same thing and that’s what prompted my post yet nobody seemed to notice or care.

Skeeter

Uber felon
Arguing hypotheticals is fine...but you tend to push your opinion as irrefutable fact.

Statements like... You can't argue with... Everyone but nutopia says... Don't help your argument. They just look silly.

When you take an extreme position you invite opposite extreme positions.

I know this won't resonate, but I'ma try anyway.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Nah before I would let you guys ruin my whole day. Now I’m just going to dish it back out. It’s all good. That whole FSU thing was me being serious about the argument, I think there is some merit to it although I realize it’s unpopular/unlikely - but also I knew I was kind of kicking a hornets nest. I also found it kind of funny because southpaw and Kella literally just said the same thing and that’s what prompted my post yet nobody seemed to notice or care.

Maybe do a few hits back and let it go for a day or two instead of creating 3 pages of the same arguments over and over. The problem is you and brick get into it, and every other person that chimes in then gets your DISH BACKs and everybody loses. You don't have to answer every post about oregon. Everyone here knows oregon is good so if the post says they aren't you can assume that's a troll and let it go

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I mean you could just enjoy college football for what it is. My enjoyment factor has gone up 110% once I stopped taking it all so seriously. I'm sure some of you'll frown on the Sickos Committee and that stuff but I love it. There's a lot to love from this dumb beautiful sport if you can just not be so SRS about it.
Sickos Committee is da best committee.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Arguing hypotheticals is fine...but you tend to push your opinion as irrefutable fact.

Statements like... You can't argue with... Everyone but nutopia says... Don't help your argument. They just look silly.

When you take an extreme position you invite opposite extreme positions.

I know this won't resonate, but I'ma try anyway.
For me on this specific argument I feel like I wasn’t contradicting myself by saying that Oregon lost but I think they would be favored if they played again (because I think they’re the better team). Some of you’ll are like BUT THEY DID LOSE SO THEY ARE BY DEFINITION THE WORSE TEAM… and, I just don’t think that’s how this actually works. Both things can be true. This isn’t the nba playoffs lol.

Idk I don’t think my argument was much of a stretch at all but you’ll acting like I’m a clown for saying it. That’s why I dig in.

Skeeter

Uber felon
For me on this specific argument I feel like I wasn’t contradicting myself by saying that Oregon lost but I think they would be favored if they played again (because I think they’re the better team). Some of you’ll are like BUT THEY DID LOSE SO THEY ARE BY DEFINITION THE WORSE TEAM… and, I just don’t think that’s how this actually works. Both things can be true. This isn’t the nba playoffs lol.

Idk I don’t think my argument was much of a stretch at all but you’ll acting like I’m a clown for saying it. That’s why I dig in.
Here's the disconnect. Both things cannot be true. You can believe they are better and you can believe they would win 99/100x, but because you believe it and want it to be true does not make it true.

Reality is they played and Washington won.

You play a lot of chess. When you lose a match, you can what if, and if only, all you want, but those hypothetical situations didn't occur and you lost. The other person was better.

The only real way to measure if a team is better than another is to play.

Right now. Today. Washington is better.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Here's the disconnect. Both things cannot be true. You can believe they are better and you can believe they would win 99/100x, but because you believe it and want it to be true does not make it true.

You play a lot of chess. When you lose a match, you can what if, and if only, all you want, but those hypothetical situations didn't occur and you lost. The other person was better.

Counterpoint, no matter what arguments you throw at me Oklahoma State is not better than Oklahoma. It's why beating them was so FUN

Mame YO

slings rocks

If a 1500 rated chess dude lost to a 1100 rated dude I would absolutely bet that 1500 dude would win 9/10 and have no problem saying 1500 dude is better despite losing that one game.

It’s all good man we obviously don’t see eye to eye on this and everyone is just going to blame me if I keep responding so it’s whatever.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
If a 1500 rated chess dude lost to a 1100 rated dude I would absolutely bet that 1500 dude would win 9/10 and have no problem saying 1500 dude is better despite losing that one game.

It’s all good man we obviously don’t see eye to eye on this and everyone is just going to blame me if I keep responding so it’s whatever.
What a fucking dumb comparison, chess is a 1v1 game with very little opportunity luck/chance. Football is 11v11 with almost infinitely higher opportunities for chance/luck.

They are almost as far apart in terms of sports as you can get, get the fuck out of here.

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
I think it boils down to this: if Oregon was undefeated after beating Washington, there is absolutely no way that Mame would entertain his arguments in this thread. If Oregon was undefeated but lost Bo Nix for the season, there is absolutely no way that Mame would agree with his assertions vis-à-vis FSU.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I think it boils down to this: if Oregon was undefeated after beating Washington, there is absolutely no way that Mame would entertain his arguments in this thread. If Oregon was undefeated but lost Bo Nix for the season, there is absolutely no way that Mame would agree with his assertions vis-à-vis FSU.
Bo nix got hurt last year and Oregon dropped two games. I’m well aware of how much an injury to a key player impacts team performance! :Winking:

Mame YO

slings rocks
What a fucking dumb comparison, chess is a 1v1 game with very little opportunity luck/chance. Football is 11v11 with almost infinitely higher opportunities for chance/luck.

They are almost as far apart in terms of sports as you can get, get the fuck out of here.
Bro I just went with his analogy it’s all good

Skeeter

Uber felon

I think you know why I used that comparison.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

If you put as much energy into learning chess as internet arguments about Oregon you’d be rated 1100 or 1500