• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Beckman Fired at Illinois

Renegade

Charge on!
And so the carousel begins...For cause firing, which means no buyout will be paid.

CNhAS3QUwAA2pzQ.png

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
A little shocked. Nothing that Simon said really stood out to me as anything more than bitching.

Hoping more info comes soon. From everything I have heard from bloggers and Illini writers they have seen or heard nothing from payers to indicate any abuse of any kind.

But then I remember this is Illinois. Why the fuck wouldn't this happen?

Ander1345

Preliminary reports state pressuring players to play through injury and mistreatment of medical hardships.

Fire every other coach too I guess.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Wait, he was trying to cut scholarship money off from seniors in their last semester? Fuck me.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Illinois Press Releas

Beckman will not receive the $3.1 million remaining on the last two years of his original five-year contract or the $743,000 called for if his contract had been bought out.

Addendum Quote from Acting Chancellor Barb Wilson:
“Our most important responsibility is to protect our students. It is important to complete this review, act quickly on its recommendations and move forward, so we can provide our student-athletes the best experience possible.”

Quote from President Tim Killeen:
“Nothing is more important than the safety of our students. It is a fundamental right that no student or parent should ever question. Whether in the classroom or on the field, the well-being of our students must always be uppermost in our minds and that is a core philosophy that we will reiterate and reiterate across our campuses.”​

Brett McMurphy
‏@McMurphyESPN

Illinois found Tim Beckman deterred injury reporting & influenced players to avoid or postpone medical treatment & continue playing

Ander1345

He was trying to keep scholarships for players who were contributing. They would find academic scholarships for seniors who had phased out of football. Is this not common?

GuyIncognito

He was trying to keep scholarships for players who were contributing. They would find academic scholarships for seniors who had phased out of football. Is this not common?

Well that doesn't sound like "treating players inappropriately with respect to whether they could remain on scholarship."

Ander1345

I mean this is just what I have heard. I figured this was common practice at places where recruiting is difficult.

Obviously the report was damning enough to get him canned and I am by no means defending him. Just seems like it'd be fairly commonplace to keep scholarships available for new players and players who contribute. Don't have the luxury of depth.

Oh well. This will be interesting. Wont be much interest in this job.

GuyIncognito

But what I mean is, it doesn't sound like what you're describing is the practice that got that bit included in the firing statement.

I don't see why taking guys off scholarship in the spring semester would even help, but I'm sure it would reduce their privileges.

Just seems a bit like a "fuck you" to a bunch of kids who just got done giving you 4-5 years of their lives.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Lawd they fire him now? What's their plan? To have someone on the same staff who watched Beckman mistreat players corch the team?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I don't see why taking guys off scholarship in the spring semester would even help.

This is what I don't get. Doesn't the 85 scholarship limit only apply just before the fall? Isn't that how Nick Saban and Les Miles are able to sign 28 guys every year and have 100 guys on scholarship in the spring?

CJ_24

STUNNED that a guy off the Urban Meyer tree is an asshole...

His wiki says he corched under Tressel, not Meyer. Two peas of the same pod though, imo.

. . . nevermind. I didn't know corch Meyerz corched at Bowling Green. Carry on my wayward sons

Last edited:

Skeeter

Uber felon
He was getting fired at the end of the season anyway. This was just a chance for the BOT to not have to pay his buyout.