• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Coaches' Hot Seat/ Carousel 2015-16

Wooly

He recruited Dak so that doesn't really seem like an indictment to me...

Mississippi State's overall winning percentage is .461 without Mullen. Mullen has won .607 of his games there in arguably the toughest division in college football. That's why people recognize he's a good coach.

You're right that Mullen has made them better, but you are making a common error by conflating independent ideas and implying a false larger point. You are conflating "Mullen is winning" and "Mullen is in a tough division" to imply "Mullen is winning in a tough division". You hear this kind of erroneous subtle implication all the time when people say things like they are "10-3 playing in the Big 12", when in reality they might be 6-3 in the Big 12 and 4-0 otherwise. Back when Tebow was at Florida, they had a year where they played a really soft SEC schedule, missing several of the better SEC West teams, but there was all this talk about how great their record was and they should get into the BCS NC game because they were 1 loss or undefeated or something, and "played in the SEC." The implication was that they had beaten up on a great SEC conference, when they had not done so at all.

So what about Mullen? Is he winning a lot in the "toughest division in football"? No, he is not. I am not saying Mullen is not a good coach, and has not made MSU better. I think he is and has. However, he is not doing it by beating teams in the SEC West, he is under 500 in the SEC, and .333 in the SEC West. He finished 2nd in the SEC West last year, but has been 5th four times and 4th twice. Mullen has made MSU better DESPITE being the SEC West, which is still an improvement.

.607 Overall
.464 26-30 in the SEC
.333 13-26 against SEC West
13-4 against SEC East

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
You're right that Mullen has made them better, but you are making a common error by conflating independent ideas and implying a false larger point. You are conflating "Mullen is winning" and "Mullen is in a tough division" to imply "Mullen is winning in a tough division". You hear this kind of erroneous subtle implication all the time when people say things like they are "10-3 playing in the Big 12", when in reality they might be 6-3 in the Big 12 and 4-0 otherwise. Back when Tebow was at Florida, they had a year where they played a really soft SEC schedule, missing several of the better SEC West teams, but there was all this talk about how great their record was and they should get into the BCS NC game because they were 1 loss or undefeated or something, and "played in the SEC." The implication was that they had beaten up on a great SEC conference, when they had not done so at all.

So what about Mullen? Is he winning a lot in the "toughest division in football"? No, he is not. I am not saying Mullen is not a good coach, and has not made MSU better. I think he is and has. However, he is not doing it by beating teams in the SEC West, he is under 500 in the SEC, and .333 in the SEC West. He finished 2nd in the SEC West last year, but has been 5th four times and 4th twice. Mullen has made MSU better DESPITE being the SEC West, which is still an improvement.

.607 Overall
.464 26-30 in the SEC
13-4 against SEC East

That wasn't what I was saying.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni

.607 Overall
.464 26-30 in the SEC
13-4 against SEC East
What the hell are you talking about?
The 06 Florida team had 1 loss and played the top 4 in the SEC West.
The 2008 Florida team had 1 loss and played the top 4 in the SEC West.

Im assuming youre referring to 2009 when Florida was the undefeated defending national champs who lost to an also undefeated Alabama team in the SECCG and literally no one was calling for them to get into the title game for a rematch.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Tracy Claeys fired the entire offensive staff at Minnesota: http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/1...grover-passing-game-coordinator-jim-zebrowski

Seems like an odd move to me. Granted, Minnesota's offense hasn't set the world alight, but you think a continuity hire would have some continuity. Really curious to see what direction this goes. It could be the start of something pretty interesting at Minnesota, or it could signal that Claeys is just Tim Brewster.

Claeys only got a 3 year contract so he's basically an interim coach like Cubit. He really needs to show something at least year one. Fixing an offense that was 2nd to last in points in the Big Ten, and 3rd to last in total yardage will go a long way. Their defense wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.

Craig7835

It is interesting move. afaik this staff has followed Kill around. So to break it up is pretty drastic. Anyways I think Claeys is an interim coach anyways. MN doesnt have an AD. And the interim AD signed Claeys to a 2 year contract. So i think this is all to get MN through the transition in the athletic department. Once they find an AD I expect Claeys to go away. Unless he drastically improves the team in 2 seasons.

Maybe dude wants to bring in his folks he got in mind.I never saw anything wrong with Minnesota's offense & I liked watching them in action.

Craig7835

Not directly relevant, but Miami just fired OC Bill Lazor.

Good chance he stays in the NFL (coordinator or position coach), but I'm saying a prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Penn State hires him: would be an awesome replacement for Donovan as OC.

Lazor on Franklin's staff would be perfect. They both have that QB friendly offensive philosophy.

I hope Richt isn't a candidate, I don't see the appeal. For some reason Dan Mullen's name keeps popping up. Just no.

Hire Butch and be done with it.

Richt- Hell of a recruiter, players love him, pro-style is always going to attract talent.

Maybe not quite as good as Saban or Urban Meyer, but won't have to be in ACC.

No real controversies following him. Wins.

Butch is just a retread at this point. I know you're a fan of the 2000 era teams, but I don't think 2015 Butch is going to get them back there, not with internet mall-cop writers like Charles Robinson and the like sniffing around every potential rule infraction. And it's not like he set the world on fire at UNC even with bending rules fairly blatantly.

Richt should just take a season off and let the demand for him grow. I understand why some at UGA wanted him gone, but honestly, unless Kirby Smart is a LOCK, then I think they just canned him for the sake of change, and may wind up regressing to the middle of the pack in the SEC East like Tennessee.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Butch is just a retread at this point. I know you're a fan of the 2000 era teams, but I don't think 2015 Butch is going to get them back there, not with internet mall-cop writers like Charles Robinson and the like sniffing around every potential rule infraction. And it's not like he set the world on fire at UNC even with bending rules fairly blatantly.

Sure he's a retread (literally), but so what? Compared to the other names I keep hearing as serious candidates, I'll take a retread. All you have to do to win at Miami is recruit and pick good coordinators. Can Butch do that? I think so.

And if it's Butch vs. Charlie Strong, or Schiano, or Chud, or Rich Rodriguez, or Dan Mullen, I'll take Butch.

If nothing else, Butch will get the fan base to shut the fuck up for about 3 years. That alone is worth its weight in gold.

After weeks of potential candidates being thrown around, I stand by Butch or Cristobal as the most acceptable choices of a VERY limited field of legit candidates.

Last edited:

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Claeys only got a 3 year contract so he's basically an interim coach like Cubit. He really needs to show something at least year one. Fixing an offense that was 2nd to last in points in the Big Ten, and 3rd to last in total yardage will go a long way. Their defense wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible
Defense was also heavily injured most of the year. Went basically the whole year with 1 or more starting d backs out, as well as the top defensive lineman and MLB being out for extended periods of time.

Renegade

Charge on!
Sure he's a retread (literally), but so what? Compared to the other names I keep hearing as serious candidates, I'll take a retread. All you have to do to win at Miami is recruit and pick good coordinators. Can Butch do that? I think so.

And if it's Butch vs. Charlie Strong, or Schiano, or Chud, or Rich Rodriguez, or Dan Mullen, I'll take Butch.

If nothing else, Butch will get the fan base to shut the fuck up for about 3 years. That alone is worth its weight in gold.

After weeks of potential candidates being thrown around, I stand by Butch or Cristobal as the most acceptable choices of a VERY limited field of legit candidates.

You'd really take those two over RichRod, if he was even available?

coogrfan

Well, that sounds simple enough. :cool:

GuyIncognito

It is simple enough. It really is. What was Butch's secret the last time around? Stack a team with NFL talent and don't do anything too stupid. The HC at Miami has that luxury, one that few programs have.

And I can't stand DickRod. His teams at WVU were dirty as fuck, he cratered Michigan, he's an asshole. I don't know what the point is. I'd honestly have a hard time supporting the team with him as the coach.

Renegade

Charge on!
It is simple enough. It really is. What was Butch's secret the last time around? Stack a team with NFL talent and don't do anything too stupid. The HC at Miami has that luxury, one that few programs have.

And I can't stand DickRod. His teams at WVU were dirty as fuck, he cratered Michigan, he's an asshole. I don't know what the point is. I'd honestly have a hard time supporting the team with him as the coach.

His offense with South Florida talent would get my panties in a wad if I were a Miami fan.

GuyIncognito

But honestly, what's the real knock on Butch? He's already proven he can win with Miami talent. He's BY FAR the most popular choice amongst local fans and ex-players, he'd be given a much better chance by the hostile base than virtually any other candidate as far as grace periods go.

Yeah, he doesn't do anything innovative, true. Nor did he when he rebuilt the program into perhaps the best team ever assembled.

The great innovators have better offers than Miami, and even if we could sucker one in, he'd be gone in a few years. And if he didn't win immediately it would get ugly fast.

Butch will fill that god-forsaken stadium, he'll dominate recruiting, and I think he'll bring in good coordinators and be willing to jettison bad ones. Under the circumstances I think that's about as much as we can realistically ask for.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Not sure how anyone ever wins at Syracuse. Paul Pasqualoni deserves to be in the hall of fame for what he accomplished there.

Brick

@Renegade Frost ain't no Corch O. I think that he is pretty much a complete wildcard. Oregon's offense has put up incredible numbers since he took over as OC, but we haven't seen him in that role without great quarterbacks (Mariota, Adams) and ridiculously loaded skill positions. Plus he inherited a great group to begin with. I hope he does a good job. Good gamble by UCF, I think. Young guy that could create some excitement around the program.

Renegade

Charge on!
Perfect. Give a good 3 years to build up that recruiting base before Nebraska's native son comes home :Devil:

Yeah, I just became a huge Mike Riley fan.

@Renegade Frost ain't no Corch O. I think that he is pretty much a complete wildcard. Oregon's offense has put up incredible numbers since he took over as OC, but we haven't seen him in that role without great quarterbacks (Mariota, Adams) and ridiculously loaded skill positions. Plus he inherited a great group to begin with. I hope he does a good job. Good gamble by UCF, I think. Young guy that could create some excitement around the program.

The excitement in Orlando seems to be extreme. It's a much flashier hire than anyone was expecting. Apparently UCF made an offer to Schiano and he let it expire to see what Miami did, probably thinking that UCF would wait for him. As much as Schiano is a proven commodity, I don't think he has the same ceiling that Frost potentially has. So I'm good with our approach...all the players and recruits have reacted really well. Hope he is able to hit the trail tomorrow and start getting us some athletes.

Also, re: Coach O, told my buddies that they misread what I was typing. When I said Orgeron, I meant Oregon.

Brick

DINO BABERS TO UCF
Capture.png

So it begins.

Renegade

Charge on!
DINO BABERS TO UCF
Capture.png

So it begins.

Yeah, when our Rivals guy posted that he did not believe there was a deal in place with Babers, I was very skeptical. Our Rivals guy is very reliable - he doesn't post rumors unless he has good sources that corroborate them and he is rarely wrong once he posts. Obviously he was on the money here, and he had Frost earlier than anyone else too.

Renegade

Charge on!
Mizzou interviewed Dykes??????

Cal is a better job.

Have mercy

It's not if you're a good ol' boy from Texas. I mean, his name is Sonny. How out of place is he in Berkeley? He probably cusses all the hippy kids with dreads and all the damned hipsters on his way to the stadium every day.

bruin

It's not if you're a good ol' boy from Texas. I mean, his name is Sonny. How out of place is he in Berkeley? He probably cusses all the hippy kids with dreads and all the damned hipsters on his way to the stadium every day.

Cal fans I talked to in October seemed fine with him. Patient might have been the word. But he is 0-12 vs USC, UCLA, Stan and Oregon.

With Washington on the verge of being a power, can see why he'd wanna dip.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Mizzou is an easier job than Cal right now for sure.

He could just be wanting a raise doe.