• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

SMALL BALLERS GON LOOK MLB 2022 THREAD, Honkballers can't look and Umpires can't see

BearDownUofA

Festizio
The only reason why the boomer fucks in the national media are crowing for the playoff format to change is because they're one game away from having no teams from NY or LA in the WS and we just can't have that, now can we?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Pittsburgh's owner has zero self-awareness too.

SellTheTeamKid-e1659735476268-1024x748.jpeg

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
People also seem to forget that the top teams had byes! Imagine if LA had lost in a 3-game series!

Big payrolls buy depth, which yields more results over the ~4300 outs a team gets in the regular season. In any 27-out game, the value of that depth is minimized

CJ_24

IIRC, the Padres and Phillies aren't exactly low on the payroll totem poll. It's not like the Dodgers and Braves got bested by the Pirates or Reds.

This argument is overblown and stupid. How often since 1995 has a 100 win team lost to an 80 win team?

CJ_24

IIRC, the Padres and Phillies aren't exactly low on the payroll totem poll. It's not like the Dodgers and Braves got bested by the Pirates or Reds.

This argument is overblown and stupid. How often since 1995 has a 100 win team lost to an 80 win team?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Teams have already won with Moneyball type strategies. That’s the baseball trog equivalent of CAN’T WIN WITH TEH SPREAD in football

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Yes, all those world series titles the mid-00s A's won
The premise of the movie is that the moneyball philosophy is what allowed the Red Sox to win the World Series. Cubs, too, but they won after the movie came out. Sure they had bigger payrolls, but it changed the way some people evaluated players.

CJ_24

We are ships passing in the night. I'm talking about payroll, not some philosophy for what kind of skillset of players are acquired. The 2004 Red Sox had the second highest payroll in baseball. 2016 Cubs had the sixth highest.

Cool, they took a philosophy pioneered by the As for the type of player to select. My hunch is a lot of teams eventually adopted that approach. But outside of the 2015 Royals, I think you would be hard pressed to find a team without a top ten payroll who won the title.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I guess it depends on what you define as winning. The fucking Rays have damn sure been winning. I don’t know what philosophy they use, but it works and they will win a WS eventually I believe.

The teams with shit payrolls who aren’t even trying to win aren’t fair to compare. There are plenty of teams who spend a shit ton and don’t win either. Obviously it’s easier to win if you spend money but you still have to know how to put a team together.

Darvish is painting right now.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Nothing really to say about this game. Just great pitching. Not much you can do about it if you can’t hit that shit.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
why bother with moneyball nonsense if you actually have money instead?

Hike

güero
Where did the marlins rank for their WS wins? They don’t spend much money.
I Seem to remember they spent a lot of money in 97 ( for the time) and then absolutely blew it up in 98. They had Kevin Brown, Bonilla, Sheffield, Daren Daulton maybe and Moises Alou. I’m getting old though and am not pulling up baseball reference at midnight.