• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

The Notre Dame thread

purple112

Go Berzerk
Riggs to ND DONE DEAL. Great move in terms of adding depth and getting someone in the second who can make tackles/play physically.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Translation: We, the athletic department and school, are using the football stadium to market the university and enhance it's revenue steam. Oh....and we're concerned about player safety too.

Four starters booted for academic fraud: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/notre-dame-fighting-irish-081514

On the bright side, I don't think they raped anyone.

One year after Notre Dame football lost its starting QB, Everett Golson, for the 2013 season after he was caught cheating on an exam, the Fighting Irish team is dealing with the repercussions from more academic fraud.

This time, four starters have been dismissed from ND after the school conducted an internal investigation this summer, sources close to the program told FOX Sports.

The players being investigated are receiver DaVaris Daniels, defensive back KeiVarae Russell, defensive lineman Ishaq Williams and linebacker Kendall Moore.

It is unclear at this time if the four players will be allowed to return to the school in the future as Golson has after he sat out the entire fall semester. He returned to South Bend last winter and has won his old starting QB job.

The Irish, ranked No. 17 in the preseason coaches poll, open the year Aug. 30 against Rice.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
My reaction:

BKEL.jpg

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
The only thing that pisses me off about stuff like this is the faux indignation about "cheating." To me it would be far more insulting if they are able to pass classes and play football WITHOUT cheating. I mean I know a lot of very intelligent people who really struggled in college, and that's without the *20 hours per week extra time spent on football, not to mention the classes you miss while traveling. Even if the football players were the smartest kids on campus, they'd still be at a tremendous disadvantage compared to most students. Given the fact that we know they often aren't the smartest people on campus, why do no one seemed to be bothered by the fact that people who can barely read are "passing" college courses at prestigious universities? That hypocrisy doesn't bother anyone? Well as long as you show up and check the box, it is all good... but if you try to "cheat" then shame on you! I just hate the fact that 95% of people seem to be ok with this entire system of lies and they only get upset when the "cheaters" are caught.

Just stop forcing the education requirement, because it is absurd. If a player is smart enough and has the time management skills to accomplish both at the same time, then let them make that choice. If they don't think they can play ball and get a good education at the same time, but they still want an education, then offer them a deferred scholarship option. If they don't want to go to college at all (it isn't for everyone) then offer them a transferable scholarship that they could give to a relative/friend.

Reactions: bjc

fsuprime

my cousin is very confused as he says the professors at ND hate failing kids and will bend over backwards for even regular students. (not counting the myriad of tutors and study halls for athletes)

He is shocked an athlete even has to cheat there.

Of courses he doesnt have to work a job while attending...and id say the footbaw kids r puting in like 35 hours a week not 20

Last edited:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, I had a friend from HS go to Samford and he ended up transferring to Arkansas (and quitting football) because it took up all of his time so I can't imagine how much time they put in at a program like ND

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Yeah, I had a friend from HS go to Samford and he ended up transferring to Arkansas (and quitting football) because it took up all of his time so I can't imagine how much time they put in at a program like ND

You think an SEC team puts in less time than ND?

Wooly

The only thing that pisses me off about stuff like this is the faux indignation about "cheating." To me it would be far more insulting if they are able to pass classes and play football WITHOUT cheating. I mean I know a lot of very intelligent people who really struggled in college, and that's without the *20 hours per week extra time spent on football, not to mention the classes you miss while traveling. Even if the football players were the smartest kids on campus, they'd still be at a tremendous disadvantage compared to most students. Given the fact that we know they often aren't the smartest people on campus, why do no one seemed to be bothered by the fact that people who can barely read are "passing" college courses at prestigious universities? That hypocrisy doesn't bother anyone? Well as long as you show up and check the box, it is all good... but if you try to "cheat" then shame on you! I just hate the fact that 95% of people seem to be ok with this entire system of lies and they only get upset when the "cheaters" are caught.

Just stop forcing the education requirement, because it is absurd. If a player is smart enough and has the time management skills to accomplish both at the same time, then let them make that choice. If they don't think they can play ball and get a good education at the same time, but they still want an education, then offer them a deferred scholarship option. If they don't want to go to college at all (it isn't for everyone) then offer them a transferable scholarship that they could give to a relative/friend.

I hear ya, and I am on board with the sentiment that kids who can barely read are being used by colleges who give them no value when they are finished with them, and the fans look the other way. However, I wish the solution was an alternative configuration, where there were no scholis and you were a student who then played football. If you care about these kids, then help them actually qualify for and benefit from college. Instead of "don't force the education requirement" you could separate kids who are not there for college from college. If a football team is manned by a bunch of kids who are not actually attending classes, then it's even more of a farce for them to be representing the college...even more than at least pretending they are students. Teams of players who are not going to college are just a bunch of guys playing football, like a semipro team in your town. Since it's just a pipe dream, I might as well dream for what I prefer, which is to take those athletes out of the equation. Anyone who also wants to go to college is more than welcome, when they are ready. Again, to take the student out of it seems more a farce to me, so I would rather not go that route.

Clintmartian

Stringer Bell
Wooly brings some ideas to mind where you can give athletes and student-athletes an option.

1. Scholarship with a decent stipend and/or payment. (4 year guaranteed)

2. Straight up pay an athlete in full to represent your school with age limits set. (Contracted from 1-4 years)

2 could be difficult, and I could see problems happening because some athletes may not be able to read as well or might straight up sign without reading a contract completely with the fine print.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I hear ya, and I am on board with the sentiment that kids who can barely read are being used by colleges who give them no value when they are finished with them, and the fans look the other way. However, I wish the solution was an alternative configuration, where there were no scholis and you were a student who then played football. If you care about these kids, then help them actually qualify for and benefit from college. Instead of "don't force the education requirement" you could separate kids who are not there for college from college. If a football team is manned by a bunch of kids who are not actually attending classes, then it's even more of a farce for them to be representing the college...even more than at least pretending they are students. Teams of players who are not going to college are just a bunch of guys playing football, like a semipro team in your town. Since it's just a pipe dream, I might as well dream for what I prefer, which is to take those athletes out of the equation. Anyone who also wants to go to college is more than welcome, when they are ready. Again, to take the student out of it seems more a farce to me, so I would rather not go that route.

I think we'd all like to see that. Baseball and hockey players don't have to go to college and football players should have that option too, but who's going to set up the system? The NFL sure as hell doesn't want to, and even if they set up a system, when would they play the games?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I think we'd all like to see that. Baseball and hockey players don't have to go to college and football players should have that option too, but who's going to set up the system? The NFL sure as hell doesn't want to, and even if they set up a system, when would they play the games?

Saturdays in the fall of course.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Saturdays in the fall of course.

Well that makes sense, but like minor league baseball and minor league hockey, "no one" will watch it.

I don't watch Rutgers football because it's good or what not, I watch it because I have ties to the school and memories of my father.

If you take the same players on Rutgers and Penn State and put them on the New Brunswick Eagles and the Harrisburg Wildcats, it's not going to have the same investment as the game does now.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Bringing up the whole minor league aspect of semi-pro football, I'm kinda wondering, for fans of minor league baseball and hockey teams - is there tradition, loyal fanbases, fierce rivalries, etc. like there are in college sports?

I imagine that in places that are far from major league teams, and where the minor league team has been a community fixture for a long time, there is sufficient interest and following in such teams.

Regarding college football - at the FBS level, these players are largely mercenary in the first place, in that few of them are attending their college for the education first, and the football second. The demographic makeup of most FBS teams is such that they are hardly representative of their schools. So I think the handwringing over actually paying players is quite overblown.

purple112

Go Berzerk
For the first time since 1887 ND has shut out Michigan and snapped Michigan's 30 year streak of not being shut out by anyone. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. This team can be great but first needs to get past Purdue, which won't be easy. The way the defense is playing reminds me of 2012 and the offense is full of fire power.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
:laughing:

You're scared of a team that lost by three touchdowns to CENTRAL MICHIGAN?!?!?!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I'm pretty fatalistic as a fan, but not THAT fatalistic.