• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Year 10 Week 6

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Am I the only one having A LOT of problems with pass protection this season? Maybe it is just because I'm passing more than usual but on almost every pass play I'm seeing interior defensive linemen just swimming right between double teams. Even when it is just a 3 or 4 man rush. In some cases, OL are just completely abandoning ship and taking themselves out of the play.

I assume it is just a combination of my OL, fatigue and my offensive scheme (a lot of PA) but interior DL are all over my QB almost instantly on any intermediate/deep pass concept.

Akecheta

Am I the only one having A LOT of problems with pass protection this season? Maybe it is just because I'm passing more than usual but on almost every pass play I'm seeing interior defensive linemen just swimming right between double teams. Even when it is just a 3 or 4 man rush. In some cases, OL are just completely abandoning ship and taking themselves out of the play.

I assume it is just a combination of my OL, fatigue and my offensive scheme (a lot of PA) but interior DL are all over my QB almost instantly on any intermediate/deep pass concept.
I'm seeing it a lot also, but figured it had to do with my lack of depth/recruiting OL talent.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I'm seeing it a lot also, but figured it had to do with my lack of depth/recruiting OL talent.

My starting OL are all 90+ and I'm seeing the same thing

Yeah at first I thought it was maybe because my OL lean towards run blocking, but outside of my left guard, my OL are all fairly balanced blockers. Not great, but balanced.

I took 2 sacks and got hit 4 or 5 times for incompletions in this game tonight against CPU Kansas State. I did attempt 36 passes which is a lot for me but most were quick game and screens since I couldn't hold the ball too long.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I got the best OL money can buy and they can't pass protect for more than a couple of seconds.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Nebraska does defeat Kansas State 37-18 though. Kansas State's offense was atrocious. Just 214 yards, 10 of 26 passing and 3 of 11 on 3rd down. The CPU was just garbage on offense.

On the other side, my offense put up 26 first downs and 535 yards. Ran 34 times for 219 yards and a TD and threw 22 of 36 for 316 and 4 TD. Two bad INTs though, one in the end zone. The time of possession stat got screwed up because it says I held the ball 30:40 which is obviously not possible but I ran 70 plays to KSU's 50.

Mack had his ups and downs at QB. Started off horribly, I think 3 of 8 but I stuck with him and he got it together finishing 22 of 36 for 316, 4 TD and 2 INT. 2 sacks and I think 5 contact incompletions.

Bray was great at HB, running 14 times for 120 yards and a TD. I ran a lot of one back Pistol in this game, in part to isolate my TE, and that opened some run lanes. Perry added 62 yards and Mack at QB added 28.

McBride led the way receiving. 11 receptions for 175 yards and 3 TD. 124 of the yards were after the catch. Had a FB Screen with him lined up at FB that went for 60 yards. Had a whole team of blockers out front. Harris added 4 receptions for 80 yards and a TD but he also dropped 2 deep passes that should have been touchdowns.

Separately from the pass blocking issue, I feel like run blocking is slightly overpowered this season. I had 26 pancake blocks in the game including 5 each by my two TEs. Admittedly one of my TEs is actually an offensive lineman I moved this off-season, but still seems like a lot to me. Not sure if anyone else is seeing that or if maybe it was just because I played KSU.

LEGEND

I'll play my game after 4pm est when I get home. Just a FYI... I'm still having issues with my U-verse internet.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Flanntastic

NCAA Moderator
I guess good game @Flanntastic not like I ever had a chance, you hit one slant before throwing deep and having 99.9% accuracy on the road.

you had the right idea, running the option to start the game. But My defense is built around stopping the run, so it was just a bad matchup. You abdoned it to fast though, my Defense gives up a ton of big plays in the running game.

Akecheta

you had the right idea, running the option to start the game. But My defense is built around stopping the run, so it was just a bad matchup. You abdoned it to fast though, my Defense gives up a ton of big plays in the running game.
Being down 21-0 with 20 yards of offense and a pick does that....

LEGEND

Huh?

My defense is built around stopping the run.... You gave up too early. My defense gives up a ton of big plays in the run game!

uploadfromtaptalk1446664987434.jpeg

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I get what @Flanntastic is saying, he and I are the same way defensively. What we do is based entirely on stopping the run and forcing you to abandon it and go to the air, which hopefully leads to mistakes. We are banking on people being impatient and abandoning the run early, then once you go to the air, forcing a mistake and having it snowball from there.

If you stick with the run, you are going to be more and more likely to bust a big play. We're hoping we can discourage you from it early, get you one dimensional and take you out of your comfort zone and that is that.

When I play Flann, it seems like our games are similar. I break a big play on the ground early, he comes back with adjustments to stop my run game and I either have to go through the air to loosen up the run game or hope I can find my own adjustment on the ground and make some big plays. Sometimes it works out, sometimes he beats the shit out of me. Unlike me, Flann benefits from elite players across the board so he is better able to leave his DBs alone in coverage and dedicate 6-7 players to stopping the run every down. I can't afford to do that with my DBs, so I find myself having to anticipate/guess more. Easier to guess when people get one dimensional early.

Seems like in general most people are really impatient in this game. If your initial plan is stopped, people get into break glass in case of emergency mode quick. Part of what makes my offense so deadly is that I will stick with it all game long. If you stop it, congrats, but you're not taking me out of my offense.

Akecheta

I get what @Flanntastic is saying, he and I are the same way defensively. What we do is based entirely on stopping the run and forcing you to abandon it and go to the air, which hopefully leads to mistakes. We are banking on people being impatient and abandoning the run early, then once you go to the air, forcing a mistake and having it snowball from there.

If you stick with the run, you are going to be more and more likely to bust a big play. We're hoping we can discourage you from it early, get you one dimensional and take you out of your comfort zone and that is that.

When I play Flann, it seems like our games are similar. I break a big play on the ground early, he comes back with adjustments to stop my run game and I either have to go through the air to loosen up the run game or hope I can find my own adjustment on the ground and make some big plays. Sometimes it works out, sometimes he beats the shit out of me. Unlike me, Flann benefits from elite players across the board so he is better able to leave his DBs alone in coverage and dedicate 6-7 players to stopping the run every down. I can't afford to do that with my DBs, so I find myself having to anticipate/guess more. Easier to guess when people get one dimensional early.

Seems like in general most people are really impatient in this game. If your initial plan is stopped, people get into break glass in case of emergency mode quick. Part of what makes my offense so deadly is that I will stick with it all game long. If you stop it, congrats, but you're not taking me out of my offense.
I'm already taken out of my offense.....

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I'm already taken out of my offense.....

Why? You should never be taken out of your offense. Run your offense. No sense panicking, even if you're down 21 points early. 21 points is nothing in this game. It isn't uncommon to have 21 point quarters.

Now, if you're also not getting stops on defense, then it doesn't matter what your offense is doing. If you find the game starting to snowball on you, slow things down. The clock is the biggest threat an undermanned team has to its advantage. I'm undermanned in most games I play (except for the game against poor @bruin228, that got ugly quick for him) but I stay in games because I hold the ball 18-20 minutes every game. Even against @Flanntastic's super soldier defense, it shouldn't be too hard to have slow 3-4 yard per play clock eating drives. It is when you panic, start jumping into up-tempo or try and take risks down field and fall behind schedule/turn the ball over that @Flanntastic wins games.

What exactly are you trying to be on offense?

Akecheta

LOL Im a pass heavy guy thats what I want to be, but its impossible for me to do here.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Akecheta

Like I said it works vs CPU, get in a user game and I cant complete shit

SandS2910

Like I said it works vs CPU, get in a user game and I cant complete shit

Yeah, it's frustrating when I have a 99 ovr QB with a 95 completion % and he's throwing 15 yards over the receiver.

I'm not actually a peas heavy guy. I try hard to have a balanced attack but end up losing more just to try to get my qb out of the funk.

Not as realistic in the pass game as the run for sure

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
LOL Im a pass heavy guy thats what I want to be, but its impossible for me to do here.

If you want to be pass heavy, @bruin228 is the guy you want to pay attention to. Mike Leach is in awe of how much @bruin228 throws the fucking ball. I'm not sure I've ever really seen Bruin struggle with QBA 5. He's had a few games with inferior personnel where his completion percentage dipped but he always seems to manage.

He can tell you more about what he does but from what I can tell, it is straight out of the original air raid playbook. A lot of shallows, a lot of quicks on the perimeter, a lot of really easy short to intermediate throws and then some deep stuff here and there if it presents itself.

I think the key with Bruin's stuff, in relation to QBA 5, is that he doesn't really rely on timing throws. He lets the receivers work themselves open and then gets them the ball. There isn't a lot of in/out/post stuff that requires really precise timing. That patience does leave him susceptible to sacks here and there, I got him a few times in our game a few weeks ago by countering his tempo with a well timed blitz, but more often than not he's going to be right on the money and you have to hope you make the tackle.

What type of passing offense do you want? What type of concepts do you like running? What formations do you like using? What personnel do you have/want to get involved?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, if there are certain concepts you want to run @Akecheta, I can help. I've probably run every passing concept in this game at some point.

Akecheta

@Akecheta start pounding the rock. Especially these dude running nickle based defenses. .

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I'm trying too... but I'm not used to that, its not what I've ever done in this game... ever in 10+ years of playing offline I've never been a run first guy.

Akecheta

Yeah, if there are certain concepts you want to run @Akecheta, I can help. I've probably run every passing concept in this game at some point.

Here is what I try to do, I try to be a mixture of Gus Malzahn spread power running game, with Baylor vertical passing attack but I tend to lean on the pass 3:1

Of course I'm trying to learn how to switch that, but its not going well.

fonzilla

Here is what I try to do, I try to be a mixture of Gus Malzahn spread power running game, with Baylor vertical passing attack but I tend to lean on the pass 3:1

You don't have to be run 60/40 run to pass. Just give these fuckers something to worry about.

Akecheta

You don't have to be run 60/40 run to pass. Just give these fuckers something to worry about.

Welp this season I've rushed for 45+ carries in every game except the one with Flann... because it was 2 and 12+ or 3 and 8+ I guess I could have forced runs there and punted anyway.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

Baylor's passing game is pretty much impossible to replicate in the game, so you're going to have a tough time trying to emulate them. You could use some screens and fake screens to kind of get that same effect though.

LEGEND

Baylor's passing game is pretty much impossible to replicate in the game, so you're going to have a tough time trying to emulate them. You could use some screens and fake screens to kind of get that same effect though.
Could you explain this in more detail? I know creating the splits is almost impossible but I've kinda done it with motion. But, I also suck at passing So it hasn't helped me...Hell I struggle throwing screens too!

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Could you explain this in more detail? I know creating the splits is almost impossible but I've kinda done it with motion. But, I also suck at passing So it hasn't helped me...Hell I struggle throwing screens too!

The vast majority of stuff Baylor is running in the passing game are RPOs (Run Pass Options). Which obviously aren't in the game and can't really be created. If you watch them play, they often just have one guy running a route, which is why their splits are the way they are. Not only does it open up the running game, it also forces those corners onto an island, which is what you need if you're only going to have one guy running a route.

You could try to use the fake screen stuff in the game, using the screen as the run aspect and the wheel or post as the pass aspect, but it won't be perfect.

LEGEND

@bruin228 Could you give an idea on what reads I'd look for with that? I'm interested in trying it out.