• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2044 WBL Season Thread

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
It doesn't matter who I play in the first round. It could be Berlin and I would still lose.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Now Chao of fb with a solo to tie it back. :laughing:

Moreno solo bomb to stake a 5-4 advantage in the top of the 7th.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
You ready?
ggPUBI0.gif

Lloyd Carr

I have no idea what my team situation is and I'm not home. will have to wait for tomorrow on my end for the SL.

sorry

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I won? Not bad for a team picked seventh.

Lando do how's my ass taste?

seriously I'd say nice series but I have zero clue about anything that happened.

wheres wolf pack to talk shit? Oh wait his team still can't break .500

-DrOHunk via tapatalk via iPhone

doh

I should be able to export tomorrow morning. And probably will be around starting at around 9 commish time.

doh

Was just on a red eye flight and did some research people will find interesting. I looked up the top 25 players by WAR pitching and hitting wise this year. Wanted to see where they came from and how the team acquired them as well.

Hitters came from:
Auto IFA - 7
IFA "big" ($1+m): 4
IFA "low" (under a mil): 1
Draft (1st Round): 12
Original (2033 player, unknown): 1

Hitters joined WBL club:
Homegrown - 9
Trade - 14
FA - 1

Random notes...
-- Brandock was the only FA in the top 25 as well as the only original player in it
-- One player was via a pre-CPU trade, one was released by a CPU
-- Ivan Ruiz was the only small IFA signing
-- 9 of the top 11 were in varsity.

Pitchers came from:
Auto IFA - 1
IFA "big" ($1+m): 5
IFA "low" (under a mil): 1
Draft (1st Round): 11
Draft (lower than 1st): 3
Original (2033 player, unknown): 4

Pitchers joined WBL club:
Homegrown - 9
FA - 1
Trade -15

Random notes...
-- Robles was the only auto IFA and he was released quickly by Panama City and then signed by the CPU to a MLFA contract.
-- Donald MAson was a 4th round pick
-- Jung-sik Kim was a 2nd rounder as was Carlos Goodwin
-- Fernando Soto was at a million for his IFA and signed by a user (@Orlando)

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I won? Not bad for a team picked seventh.

Lando do how's my ass taste?

seriously I'd say nice series but I have zero clue about anything that happened.

wheres wolf pack to talk shit? Oh wait his team still can't break .500

-DrOHunk via tapatalk via iPhone
It was a decent series with two pitchers duels and two blowouts, but it was decided as soon as I lost the division to OU. I would have lost no matter who played.

Soto is a bauce.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
@Orlando

Do you do anything different come the postseason? I don't understand how your team can be so Jekyll and Hyde.
Nope. The prior two years I think we went 5 games at least. We just don't score runs in the post season. My rotation also never lines up right.

Congrats to @doh though. Somehow he took a trash team to the playoffs and is in the NL Ship. He does seem to have the Madison model of getting players to out play their ratings for huge years.

doh

Nope. The prior two years I think we went 5 games at least. We just don't score runs in the post season. My rotation also never lines up right.

Congrats to @doh though. Somehow he took a trash team to the playoffs and is in the NL Ship. He does seem to have the Madison model of getting players to out play their ratings for huge years.
Who outplayed their ratings on my team for a huge year? I'd say no one. Maybe Wilkins. Ebussuuud or however you spell it had a year he won't have again. Opie in a way perhaps. But I actually had down years from Salas, Mercier and injured year from McHeshi too.

I just think offensively I don't have any black hoes (except Opie), I use my bench a lot for PR and defensive replacements and I've put some dudes into roles in the bullpen that have been awesome (Sutton, Victor Wilkins). Brown/Orozco aren't stars at 2B/3B but they pull their weight.

Lloyd Carr

I'm ready to go for the first three games, barring any injuries. I'll re-evaluate where I stand for game 4 and beyond, but otherwise we're set.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Offensively I have no black holes, but it doesn't matter come the playoffs. I don't get it. Didn't matter though. The series was decided before we started haha.

Wilkins and Shaffer are who I was thinking of. I guess the rest of your team played about right. Your rotation seems to normally pitch better than they are, but not so much this year.

Lloyd Carr

I'd be interested to know who Helsingborg's leadoff batter was last year and the year before.

If I had to find a reason for your struggles, Orlando, I'd say it is your leadoff batter not pulling his weight and putting you in a hole before you can even start. You start off handicapped with an automatic out to start the game, and then an out each time he comes to the plate. Really can't get anything going when you are in that position.

It'd be interesting to see if that's what happened in the past too.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Automatic out? wat. Carrillo has .350ish OBP and Weber creates a ton of offense.
Last year it was mostly Padilla, who was very good. I can't remember the year before that. We generally have a lot of scoring opportunities, but fail to take advantage in the playoffs. The lead off hitter isn't the problem.

Lloyd Carr

Your offense wasnt much different than Vegas', outside the leadoff spot.

Which is what sparked my interest in that leadoff situation of yours.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Carrillo had a bad series, but he is just a lead off hitter and he has a good year. The problem is everyone being terrible in the playoffs. Look at Henny and Leaf's playoff numbers. They are supposed to be my big run producers.

osick87

Community Liaison
No Lloyd's right. Carillo will never be able to perform in playoffs based on this one series. You should improve it by trading Sawyer and Carillo to me for Cabfare.

doh

Offensively I have no black holes, but it doesn't matter come the playoffs. I don't get it. Didn't matter though. The series was decided before we started haha.

Wilkins and Shaffer are who I was thinking of. I guess the rest of your team played about right. Your rotation seems to normally pitch better than they are, but not so much this year.
Yeah the rotation does because I usually tailor them to my park/defense. Wilkins/Shaffer IMO are for real as offensive players. Shaffer moreso than Wilkins. I don't think Wilkins will have another year like this. I think Shaffer will be at around this level and maybe better. Both aren't great defensive players though. I'll try to move one of them because I don't like having bad defenders even at the corner OF positions.

Lloyd Carr

No Lloyd's right. Carillo will never be able to perform in playoffs based on this one series. You should improve it by trading Sawyer and Carillo to me for Cabfare.

I wasn't saying Carillo is bad, I was just looking into why the Hammers underperformed in the playoffs [again]. Outside of the leadoff batter, Helsingborg and Last Vegas weren't that far off from each other. So I was curious as to see if maybe Helsingborg has had a history of underperforming leadoff batters, since this happens every year for Orlando. There has to be a reason his offense routinely tanks it in the playoffs.

NML

I think there may be some trait or attribute that makes guys play better/worse in the playoffs.

I remember when I won like 110 games and then my offense was no where to be found in the playoffs and I got bounced 4-1 in the first series. Two years later I made it and got swept when those same players went cold again.

It could just be multiple examples of SSS, but it's an interesting phenomenon.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

I wasn't saying Carillo is bad, I was just looking into why the Hammers underperformed in the playoffs [again]. Outside of the leadoff batter, Helsingborg and Last Vegas weren't that far off from each other. So I was curious as to see if maybe Helsingborg has had a history of underperforming leadoff batters, since this happens every year for Orlando. There has to be a reason his offense routinely tanks it in the playoffs.

The reason is my best hitters don't hit.

of course we weren't that far off. There were two games where one team scored a good amount of runs and the other didn't and then there were two games where both teams scored 2 runs or less. Trying to pin it on one thing is dumb.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah the rotation does because I usually tailor them to my park/defense. Wilkins/Shaffer IMO are for real as offensive players. Shaffer moreso than Wilkins. I don't think Wilkins will have another year like this. I think Shaffer will be at around this level and maybe better. Both aren't great defensive players though. I'll try to move one of them because I don't like having bad defenders even at the corner OF positions.
I think both are legit bats, I just don't think both are THAT good. They had crazy good years.

jdlikewhoa

I think there may be some trait or attribute that makes guys play better/worse in the playoffs.

I remember when I won like 110 games and then my offense was no where to be found in the playoffs and I got bounced 4-1 in the first series. Two years later I made it and got swept when those same players went cold again.

It could just be multiple examples of SSS, but it's an interesting phenomenon.
I had this feeling back in the UBL. HoAl dominated in the regular season and then would get shelled in the postseason.