• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Conference Constipation Thread 2.0

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Why didn't the NCAA limit conferences to 10 teams when they had a chance? LAWD this is going to blow so hard if the SEC devours the rest of college football. I guess one way to look at it is the new pods could be called conferences. 4 pods of 6 teams with a conference tournament at the end leading into the playoff :laughing:

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Yeah this is going to be insanity for a little while until the top schools figure out how to break away from the NCAA and govern hisself.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
What does the NCAA even do at this point? If the SEC/B1G/Pac wanted to govern hisself, pulling the rest of the decent teams into the Pac/B1G what happens?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
What does that mean though? Do they handle academics? I have no idea what they do outside of violations and as a general administrator. If their only function is to put on tournaments and make sure the QB from Alabama making $1m isn't getting a ride from Saban around campus, it might be time for our SEC overlords anyway

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Best I can tell they are really only necessary to administer and coordinate sports that are cost centers. There's no reason FBS footbaw or D1 bball (at least men) need them.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
From what I’ve heard out there is that the students at the 4 California schools just don’t care about the teams at the schools. With the acceptance rates at those schools being so low, they’ve kind of been turned into nerd schools.

Cal and Stanford have always been nerd schools, and UCLA was so-so, but definitely became one over the last generation. SC used to be more similar to a Southern university- essentially a rich white kids' party and network school with a good footbaw team. However, over the last 30 or so years, they've tried to become more and more selective of their admissions, to the point where getting into USC today is nearly as difficult as getting into Stanford, Cal, and is actually harder now than getting into UCLA.

As mentioned, nerds don't usually like sports, and Chinese and Indian millionaires buying spots for their kids also dgaf about footbaw, so unless they stumble across another Pete Carroll, we cam expect a ceiling of 8-4 every year, and California's best HS kids to continue to go out of state.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I have a hard time believing the Big Ten would take Oklahoma State, but with the SEC making its moves, who knows anymore? I would like to see them stay in a power conference. Hell, I'd like to see all of the Big 12 schools remain afloat except for Baylor.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Now the litigation and negotiations begin. Guess we’ll see what the perceived value of the remaining eight teams is by mainly the Big Ten and ACC. I don’t see the Pac-12 taking a serious look at any of the schools because they don’t really seem to care about staying relevant in football.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Now the litigation and negotiations begin. Guess we’ll see what the perceived value of the remaining eight teams is by mainly the Big Ten and ACC. I don’t see the Pac-12 taking a serious look at any of the schools because they don’t really seem to care about staying relevant in football.

I think the B1G takes a look at Kansas to further enhance its basketball brand and give Nebraska a football punching bag (finally). Don’t know who else they ask to be Team 16, West Virginia? Iowa State? Okie State?

Renegade

Charge on!
B1G isn't going to take any of the Big 12 leftovers. The SEC just engineered a massive move to increase the value of the conference significantly and that increased the strength of SEC football that much more. Responding with Kansas and Iowa State is like if the SEC had gone out and added Duke and Texas Tech. Why the hell would you do that? Adding KU and ISU is like getting shot at with a .50 cal and responding with a BB gun. The B1G will move strategically to enhance the value of the conference, even if that means waiting a bit to be able to raid the ACC.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
B1G isn't going to take any of the Big 12 leftovers. The SEC just engineered a massive move to increase the value of the conference significantly and that increased the strength of SEC football that much more. Responding with Kansas and Iowa State is like if the SEC had gone out and added Duke and Texas Tech. Why the hell would you do that? Adding KU and ISU is like getting shot at with a .50 cal and responding with a BB gun. The B1G will move strategically to enhance the value of the conference, even if that means waiting a bit to be able to raid the ACC.
Yeah we realize that conferences only give a shit about football but that's stupid af, so let us dream about additions that would actually make the conference more FUN instead of what they'll actually do adding MIZZOU or COUNTRY ROADS or some other school no one in a big ten state gives a shit about.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
lol at using the next four years, props to him for being optimistic. It's probably more like the next 4 months to assess what 2022 will look like

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I’m mildly surprised ESPN is still powerful enough in the age of streaming to keep helping drive the ruining of this sport, but I guess it makes sense.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
ToRa3iJ8G9nDnfe056Fc9JSPKZG4hbBv7VWMLT9MsW5ocM2YxFIR2JNsh-7lFEFIizpqKzRZwblXhlyqmmit3SYQDMj4fW8CsJhTX4nfrVC-PgGwGUn38ckPJxZi65tk1_DGgSBxoDTTkChAR8I1Lgkenqs6mX5fgIk

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
Yeah we realize that conferences only give a shit about football but that's stupid af, so let us dream about additions that would actually make the conference more FUN instead of what they'll actually do adding MIZZOU or COUNTRY ROADS or some other school no one in a big ten state gives a shit about.
The Big XII has a better chance of retraining Okie and Tejas than West fuckin Virginia does of getting a B1G invite lmao

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
B1G only wants research schools. Nobody is going to 20 just because, you gotta bring them that cash to get in

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
ACC is stupid if they don’t add West Virginia. Top 25 program in football, great basketball team, reignite rivalries with Pitt and Virginia Tech (and I guess Cuse), history with Louisville, BC, Miami, fit in well with the rest of the league outside of academics and they already threw that out with Louisville, etc.

They’ll probably add TCU and Kansas

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
ACC is stupid if they don’t add West Virginia. Top 25 program in football, great basketball team, reignite rivalries with Pitt and Virginia Tech (and I guess Cuse), history with Louisville, BC, Miami, fit in well with the rest of the league outside of academics and they already threw that out with Louisville, etc.

They’ll probably add TCU and Kansas

it's just money though, will WVU make them more money? Are those rivalries with terrible teams going to move the needle on the next tv deal?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
it's just money though, will WVU make them more money? Are those rivalries with terrible teams going to move the needle on the next tv deal?

Well, that's what the last line is for, but I could see them making more money on those rivalries + saving money on travel costs. Casual fans aren't going to watch WVU-Pitt or TCU-Pitt, but more invested college football fans are more likely to watch WVU-Pitt, I would think. Of their realistic options, WVU is easily the best along with adding Cincy.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Well, that's what the last line is for, but I could see them making more money on those rivalries + saving money on travel costs. Casual fans aren't going to watch WVU-Pitt or TCU-Pitt, but more invested college football fans are more likely to watch WVU-Pitt, I would think. Of their realistic options, WVU is easily the best along with adding Cincy.

I associate KU with B1G because I think that makes the most sense. ISU is an AAU school so I think those two make sense to go to the B1G since that's mostly what they care about, WVU/Cincy going to the ACC would be FUN, just not sure if it brings in more money. If the alottment per school goes down even a little they'll say no.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, I agree. KU + ISU (and give me Mizzou and K-State and send Okie State to SEC) to B1G and WVU + Cincy to ACC are the best options, which means they likely won't happen. I assume ND says no to anybody

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
ND has said they prefer the ACC to the B1G so that's the only place they'd go

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
I associate KU with B1G because I think that makes the most sense. ISU is an AAU school so I think those two make sense to go to the B1G since that's mostly what they care about, WVU/Cincy going to the ACC would be FUN, just not sure if it brings in more money. If the alottment per school goes down even a little they'll say no.
At the end of the day they're going to have to try something because doing nothing is pretty much just setting up for Clemson and FSU to say "see ya later, nerds." given the ACC's current deal is already pretty bad. It's not conventional wisdom cuz "lol west virginia" and "lol rednecks", but WVU is a top 20 brand by CLC sales and has a surprisingly strong national fanbase because everyone graduates and moves away from here. We'll pack ACC stadiums with our ticket allotments, and we eat up streaming offerings for any of our sports. Our football and basketball programs are both top 25 programs, and even our baseball program has dramatically changed. The difference in our facilities from now to 10 years ago is night and day.

I'm obviously bias but I think the ACC product is absolutely better with us added to it, and any kind of addition would initiate a renegotiation of their contract. Give Notre Dame any kind of concessions they want and add them and us and the ACC's stability is increased significantly.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I don't know the numbers so I can't say how WVU would affect a new deal, all I know is the only thing they care about is the per school alottment. Whether that is through research grants or media deals, you have to increase that. So if bringing in WVU nets them a few mill a year each they probably do it but it won't be because WVU can now play Pitt again.