• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

PSUEagle

@NML

I agree with the others: Malone is a pretty good defensive coach (and was a pretty decent HC IMO). He was credited as the guy who installed and developed Golden State's defense when Mark Jackson was coach. Considering how awful that franchise was defensively forever, that's a pretty impressive accomplishment.

There's probably quite a few assistant coaches who just need an opportunity league wide. That's why I'm so fascinated to see what direction OKC elects to go: do they hire a retread who specializes in offense (Alvin Gentry), an established name (Tom Thibodeau) or a college guy (Billy Donovan)? Or do they have the balls to go with a young up and comer?

evil1

I thought the 4th quarter of Bucks-Bulls was really entertaining.

For all of his defensive prowess, Thibs is not a great offensive coach. I expect Chicago to close out the series in game 5, but I like what they are building in Milwaukee.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
So proud of the Pels. They definitely have a lot of work in the off-season. They probably part ways with monty, let Asik walk in FA even though he had a decent season, but just couldn't match up at all with this team and will probably be used against him in negotiations.

AD, wow. Sucks he was the only consistent player from game to game but at least Jrue is going into the off season healthy and can get a full summer workout with the team.

Congrats warriors

R2D2

Sixers targeting Deanglo Russell out of Ohio State. @goblue96

0d12d99f3eb947934db7f94b91255a9a.jpg

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
I thought the 4th quarter of Bucks-Bulls was really entertaining.

For all of his defensive prowess, Thibs is not a great offensive coach. I expect Chicago to close out the series in game 5, but I like what they are building in Milwaukee.
Thibs spent that final timeout arguing with the refs about the time on the clock and then they give up a backdoor cut with 1.3 left.

So if Cleveland closes out Boston today and the Bulls do the same on Monday. The earliest the 2nd Round would begin is Saturday GTFO. NFL teams get less rest than that.

PSUEagle

Sixers targeting Deanglo Russell out of Ohio State. @goblue96

Hinkie may very well love Russell, but I'm calling bullshit on this report: there's no way our local media has scooped anything. Almost everyone has been wrong about who the Sixers have been targeting. Chad Ford was convinced they were going Dante Exum last year ar #3.

Hinkie keeps things closer to the vest than anyone: remember how they "loved" Wiggins last year and were "desperate" to trade up for him?

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Danny Green 0-6 and Austin Rivers goes off. At home. Another really disappointing game.

Absolutely must win Tuesday night. If it were any other team I would be worried right now because they probably have a bench better than the clips. They can't rely on their big 3 to carry them through this series IMO, and their bench has hardly been good (except for tonight of course).

That loss hurts. Would really hate to see em go out in the first round... I really need to see them beat Houston. :grin:

Bucksin04

Cavs: Shit. We're without Love for the rest of the playoffs (likely) and JR Smith for 2 games.
Bulls: Shit. We were up 3-0 and are now heading back to Milwaukee in a 3-2 series.
Bucks: Shit. We, the Milwaukee Bucks, are not going to be the first ever team to come back from down 0-3.
Hawks: Shit. How the hell are we struggling with the Nets?
Nets: Shit. We're the Nets.
Wizards: Shit. Randy Wittman is still our coach.

THE EAST!

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
What a horrific game by Aldridge so far. He can't make anything and is missing badly on all his shots.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
What a horrific game by Aldridge so far. He can't make anything and is missing badly on all his shots.
Just saving his energy for Dallas. Don't wanna give them damaged goods

atlbraves

The Hawks are basically going to be a repeat of last year's Pacers. After a stretch of weeks where it felt like the wheels were coming off, nearly culminating with elimination against the 8 seed, they suddenly remembered who they were against the Wizards in Round 2, giving us the ECF matchup we first expected before bowing out to LeBron and friends.

Bucksin04

Seeing a lot of talk about banning the Hack-a-Shaq strategy for next season. We should apply this to other sports.

If a guy can't hit curveballs, you shouldn't be allowed to throw him any breaking pitches.
If a defense is bad against the run, the other team should have to throw it on every down.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Seeing a lot of talk about banning the Hack-a-Shaq strategy for next season. We should apply this to other sports.

If a guy can't hit curveballs, you shouldn't be allowed to throw him any breaking pitches.
If a defense is bad against the run, the other team should have to throw it on every down.

Can anybody explain the logic as to why it changes in the last 2 minutes? It can't be both ways. Either it is sound defensive strategy, and should be able to be employed anytime, or it is clearly not a basketball play to hug someone who doesn't have the ball or making a play on it.

All they have to do is make the rules consistent for the entirety of the game. If they make it one shot and the ball, then this garbage goes away.

-YTC

Bucksin04

Can anybody explain the logic as to why it changes in the last 2 minutes? It can't be both ways. Either it is sound defensive strategy, and should be able to be employed anytime, or it is clearly not a basketball play to hug someone who doesn't have the ball or making a play on it.

All they have to do is make the rules consistent for the entirety of the game. If they make it one shot and the ball, then this garbage goes away.

-YTC

Wilt Chamberlain was such a great player and dominant force that he would be certain to be on the floor in late-game situations if the score was close. However, he was such a poor free throw shooter (51%) that if the opposition needed to employ intentional fouling late in the game, Chamberlain would always be that team's target. Just as the opposition was eager to send Chamberlain to the free throw line because of his ineptitude there, Chamberlain himself was reluctant to go for that same reason. This led to the spectacle of virtually an entire other game being held away from the ball and almost completely outside of the basketball game being played, as Chamberlain essentially played ade facto game of tag with defenders, attempting to run from and dodge them as they chased him trying to foul him.

The NBA decided to address this undesirable situation by instituting a new rule regarding off-the-ball fouls—that is, committing a personal foul against an offensive player who neither has the ball nor is making an effort to obtain it. The new rule stated that if the defensive team commits an off-the-ball foul within the last two minutes of the game, the offensive team would be allowed to keep possession of the ball after the awarding of either one or two free throws. Since the entire reason for employing intentional fouling as a strategy was to quickly terminate the offensive team's possession, this new rule, when in effect, forced the team using intentional fouling to foul only the offensive player who had the ball. This brought an end to the need for Chamberlain (or any other poor free throw shooter) to play hide and seek with opposing defenders in intentional fouling situations. The current version of the rule carries an even more punitive penalty for a violation--not only does the victimized team maintain possession but it is permitted to select any player they want to shoot the awarded free throw, obviously choosing the most proficient free throw shooter on their squad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack-a-Shaq#Wilt_Chamberlain_and_the_off-the-ball_foul_rule

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Wilt Chamberlain was such a great player and dominant force that he would be certain to be on the floor in late-game situations if the score was close. However, he was such a poor free throw shooter (51%) that if the opposition needed to employ intentional fouling late in the game, Chamberlain would always be that team's target. Just as the opposition was eager to send Chamberlain to the free throw line because of his ineptitude there, Chamberlain himself was reluctant to go for that same reason. This led to the spectacle of virtually an entire other game being held away from the ball and almost completely outside of the basketball game being played, as Chamberlain essentially played ade facto game of tag with defenders, attempting to run from and dodge them as they chased him trying to foul him.

The NBA decided to address this undesirable situation by instituting a new rule regarding off-the-ball fouls—that is, committing a personal foul against an offensive player who neither has the ball nor is making an effort to obtain it. The new rule stated that if the defensive team commits an off-the-ball foul within the last two minutes of the game, the offensive team would be allowed to keep possession of the ball after the awarding of either one or two free throws. Since the entire reason for employing intentional fouling as a strategy was to quickly terminate the offensive team's possession, this new rule, when in effect, forced the team using intentional fouling to foul only the offensive player who had the ball. This brought an end to the need for Chamberlain (or any other poor free throw shooter) to play hide and seek with opposing defenders in intentional fouling situations. The current version of the rule carries an even more punitive penalty for a violation--not only does the victimized team maintain possession but it is permitted to select any player they want to shoot the awarded free throw, obviously choosing the most proficient free throw shooter on their squad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack-a-Shaq#Wilt_Chamberlain_and_the_off-the-ball_foul_rule

So, the league decided that the intentional fouling strategy of Wilt Chamberlain was an "undesirable situation" and created a rule to stop it.

If it is an "undesirable situation" in the last 2 minutes, wouldn't it be undesirable in the other 46 minutes of a game?

-YTC

MiamiU26

That game hurt lastnight! Don't know if the team can come back from that. So hard to beat the Spurs in close games cause they don't beat themselves!

Reactions: bjc

NML

So, the league decided that the intentional fouling strategy of Wilt Chamberlain was an "undesirable situation" and created a rule to stop it.

If it is an "undesirable situation" in the last 2 minutes, wouldn't it be undesirable in the other 46 minutes of a game?

-YTC

You couldn't do it for 46 minutes and field a full team. For starters, the first few wouldn't even do anything other than give them the ball back out of bounds. By the time you reached the bonus it would be 11:30 left in the quarter and someone would have almost fouled out.

I don't have a strong opinion either way about it. It makes big mongs less desirable, which is fine by me. Celtics used to take Perkins off almost any time they got to the bonus (where the hack-a-____ typically happens).

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
You couldn't do it for 46 minutes and field a full team. For starters, the first few wouldn't even do anything other than give them the ball back out of bounds. By the time you reached the bonus it would be 11:30 left in the quarter and someone would have almost fouled out.

I think you are misinterpreting my question. I'm merely taking it from the league's perspective that they implemented this rule because of an "undesirable situation" that was occurring on the court. The league's rule only addresses the "undesirable situation" in the final 2 minutes. Is it not "undesirable" in the other 46 minutes?

-YTC

NML

No, I understand the question, I just don't think it's the right question to ask.

Maybe instead of a time-restrictive rule, it should be situation-restrictive. If you're in the bonus, it's two shots and the ball.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles

This is my view as well. It seems dumb to come up with rules that serve no purpose but to protect certain players who suck at part of the game.

And I especially don't like suggestions that punish the OTHER team for how much the player sucks. How about a rule that players who shoot under 60% from the line have to sit the last 2 minutes then? Why should the other team suffer because Shaq or Dwight or whomever can't shoot?

If they are going to insist on punishing the defense, then I think allowing the offensive team to put anyone they want at the line is enough of a solution, there's no reason to give them possession beyond that.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

What if bats are afraid of curveballs?

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
This is my view as well. It seems dumb to come up with rules that serve no purpose but to protect certain players who suck at part of the game.

And I especially don't like suggestions that punish the OTHER team for how much the player sucks. How about a rule that players who shoot under 60% from the line have to sit the last 2 minutes then? Why should the other team suffer because Shaq or Dwight or whomever can't shoot?

If they are going to insist on punishing the defense, then I think allowing the offensive team to put anyone they want at the line is enough of a solution, there's no reason to give them possession beyond that.

The rules aren't to protect certain players. It's to protect the viewers from watching a god-awful free throw contest in a game that already was tipping off at 10:30 PM EST.

-YTC