• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NFL: ALL HAIL THE ACID SHARKS

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I didn't even honestly know it was illegal, I mean I assumed there was some minimum standard for inflation, you don't want a completely under inflated ball either because it doesn't fly well... I thought this was the main reason that teams provided their own balls in the first place and used different kicking and scrimmage balls?

I guess I question what is the fucking point of even having such a rigid standard in the first place? Shouldn't we be encouraging teams to inflate the ball to their own exact standards if they think it will help performance? If players prefer a slightly more deflated ball in cold weather (because catching an overinflated kicking ball hurts in cold weather) then why not let them do that? I mean you are all starting with the same football, so there is only so much wiggle room, lol, nobody is going to be gaining an advantage by playing with a completely flat ball. If you allow everyone to set their balls up how they want there is no advantage/disadvantage.

I guess I'm just used to the much more informal world of Middle/high school football where you hand ur balls to the ref for inspection before the game and they might add a few pumps to any they feel are too flat :laughing:

evil1

I generally agree. I don't care what the rules are for inflation - as long as both teams play by the same rules. It is unfair to have one team play within a certain PSI limit while letting the other team inflate to whatever is most optimal for their QB and receivers.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I generally agree. I don't care what the rules are for inflation - as long as both teams play by the same rules. It is unfair to have one team play within a certain PSI limit while letting the other team inflate to whatever is most optimal for their QB and receivers.

Every team has kicking balls and scrimmage balls for a reason, right? I always assumed that was kind of an unspoken gentleman's agreement to not pump the scrimmage balls up so much that they are finger breaking hard (which is what you want in a kicking ball), especially when it is cold. In short I would assume the fact that every team uses separate kicking/scrimmage balls mean they all do this.

Either have the NFL provide the one standard game ball that shall be used for all purposes, or let teams handle the inflation/rubbing/stroking of their balls however they want. Letting teams provide their own balls and then blaming them for optimizing their balls is kind of stupid.

This ball or GTFO:

JTIw0i4.jpg

Bucksin04

I can't decide what's more impressive...

1. The fact that they may have been doing this for multiple games and got away with it for so long
2. The fact that this may have been the first time that they tried it and they got caught doing it

No idea how anybody could root for the Patriots after this.

Plus, the Seahawks are clearly a team that most people really ought to like.
**They have a charismatic, positive and charming coach.
**The QB is an incredible role model and a fine young man.
**The defensive backfield is probably the greatest in the history of the NFL and they are all in their prime.
**The grit and team first attitude that all of these guys show, as exemplified by Sherman playing hurt, is an inspiration.
**The fan support is incredible. Especially among some of the newer fans who have the kind of exuberance that comes from only having experienced success.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY

Plus, the Seahawks are clearly a team that most people really ought to like. They have a charismatic, positive and charming coach. The QB is an incredible role model and a fine young man. The fan support is incredible. Especially among some of the newer fans who have the kind of exuberance that comes from only having experienced success on a massive scale.

love this shit

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Wonder if Russell Wilson also chalks up his divorce to God testing him.

Not sure which is worse, deflated balls or inflated ego.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT

Plus, the Seahawks are clearly a team that most people really ought to like.
**They have a charismatic, positive and charming coach.
**The QB is an incredible role model and a fine young man.
**The defensive backfield is probably the greatest in the history of the NFL and they are all in their prime.
**The grit and team first attitude that all of these guys show, as exemplified by Sherman playing hurt, is an inspiration.
**The fan support is incredible. Especially among some of the newer fans who have the kind of exuberance that comes from only having experienced success.

We don't really root for the underdog. We like seeing Darth Vader blow up planets and choke smaller, weaker people to death with just his mind. That's why, in reality, the plucky underdog is actually reviled - more so if they're actually successful.

We don't really root for the underdog. We like seeing Darth Vader blow up planets and choke smaller, weaker people to death with just his mind. That's why, in reality, the plucky underdog is actually reviled - more so if they're actually successful.

I agree with this, but I don't think there is a plucky underdog in this story.

Maybe last year there was, only nobody really understood that it was the Broncos.

Bucksin04

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com...r-out-of-a-football-the-new-pearl-harbor.html

Bill Belichick is a psychopath- hes worse then Osama Bin Laden, BTK and Jerry Sandusky put togheter. I bet hes got a freezer in his house that is literaly filled with half-inflated footballs. We just as a society completely forgave Penn State for the Jerry Sandusky series of missunderstandings, are we really prepared to go through that exact thing again? When you think about it the only diffrence between this Patriot scandale and Penn State is the letter “H” since Belichick prefers it when theres not enough Air on the balls.

:laughing:

ZeekLTK

The Seahawks would be way more likable if they went back to having cool jerseys like this:

83697241-seattle-seahawks-running-back-ricky-watters-gettyimages.jpg

instead of the Oregon Duck-wannabe highlighter shit they have now.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Ugh ESPN get over it. No way NFL is taking the Pats out of the Super Bowl, so why does a punishment even matter?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Belichick should hire Urban Meyer as his OC, Lane Kiffin has his QB corch and Nick Saban has his DC and call the 15-16 season: New England Patriots - We Give Zero Fucks What You Think of Us.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
I'm sure @Reel can attest, but while I was reffing soccer and football the refs are required to check all the game balls before the contest began. We were supposed to have pumps in our bag if we deemed the balls weren't inflated just right.

All I did was pick up the balls look at them intensely, squeeze a little bit and pretend had a third eye that immediately detected the weight, size and specifications of the ball in question. I imagine this is what the refs did...some sort of variation "fuck it, good enough for me" and then they continued to walk around the stadium and check out girls in the stands, bullshit with the players or try to score free food from concessions insure the integrity of the field

Look at the rules:
(Ball must be christened by our lord and savior Roger Goddell is my favorite)
I mean damn, if it looks like a football and feels like a football who cares
Rule 2 The Ball
Section 1
BALL DIMENSIONS
The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing the signature of the Commissioner of the League, Roger Goodell.
The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case
(natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight
shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches;
weight, 14 to 15 ounces.
The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be
furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the
ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.
Section 2
BALL SUPPLY
Each team will make 12 primary balls available for testing by the Referee two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of
the game to meet League requirements. The home team will also make 12 backup balls available for testing in all
stadiums. In addition, the visitors, at their discretion, may bring 12 backup balls to be tested by the Referee for games
held in outdoor stadiums. For all games, eight new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer to
the Referee, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game.
These balls are to be specially marked by the Referee and used exclusively for the kicking game.
In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted, the Referee shall secure a proper
ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball. Any such circumstances must be reported to the
Commissioner.
In case of rain or a wet, muddy, or slippery field, a playable ball shall be used at the request of the offensive team’s center.
The Game Clock shall not stop for such action (unless undue delay occurs).

Really though, If the ref approved them then those are the rules.
I was always told it wasn't cheating if the ref didn't catch it (while I was playing and reffing)

Craig7835

Jags also hired ex Oakland/Tampa Bay OC Greg Olson for the same position.

I really liked Gus Bradley a couple years ago in the hiring cycle, but Christ he's made some really questionable coaching hires. Don't see it working out in the end for him.

To my understanding Olsen's offenses are a confusing thing of beauty