• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015/16 NBA Season Thread

Brick

Honestly, I thought KD's best move was the Celtics. They have crazy good depth. Who's his competition in the Eastern? Cavaliers can be easily beat because their bench is garbage.
yaok.gif

prolly not the best move going to a team one win away from twopeat

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Presti got caught with his pants down on this. I have to think if he had any inkling that Durant was going to leave then he wouldn't have traded Ibaka. Now he either needs to lock RUSS up long term (or with RUSS likely waiting because the cap is going up again next year, get a guarantee from him that he'll stay) or deal him at the trade deadline and start the rebuilding process so we don't let our biggest player walk for nothing again.

OKC kinda has to match any offer on Waiters now; they have no scoring off the bench if Kanter starts at the 4, which he may not. It's not his position anyway. Maybe look at bringing Alex Abrines over from Spain if it can be done. OKC can't attract free agents, so any further success they have or at least an attempt at success will have to be done through the draft and trades, just like it has been so far.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
The best thing I heard today is the hope that KD announces he's signing with the Warriors to force GSW to trade Bogut/renounce Barnes and then pulls a DJ and resigns with OKC.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I eagerly await the trade deadline deal where Presti shows me who I'll be rooting for now. He had to let Durant do his thing, he wasn't caught with his pants down. It was a gamble he had to make. RUSS is a different story though, he's out after this year. So whoever gets him needs to not trade the whole franchise to do it so I can watch him win.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
He's going to command a steep rate regardless, either in players or picks or both. Wherever he gets traded will likely end up a worse situation than OKC, at least for a little while.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
The vast majority of sports fans are mouthbreathing mongs. It's not exclusive to certain fanbases.
When you burn jerseys of a player who just left the team, that adds a special place on the mong classification

Don't worry silver, I'm not referring to anyone here

In other news, didn't realize some of these dudes were still alive. Lawd

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Every team has a large number of fans who would do that shit. Just most fans don't have one of the top 3 players in the sport bolt.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
OKC is a rare situation, though: an upstart franchise that became really good really quickly in a city with no other pro sports teams that had finally started to emerge from the Murrah Building bombing and show growth and potential. OKC's rise as a community is directly linked with the Thunder's rise to contention. They've contributed a lot to OKC, and vice versa. Durant was the face of the franchise and always talked about how much he loved it here, not just as a resident, but as a player in the Thunder organization. I understand why people are reacting the way they are. It's still shameful, but it's understandable.

also, lulz:

el6tKK3.jpg

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Every team has a large number of fans who would do that shit. Just most fans don't have one of the top 3 players in the sport bolt.

One of the 4 best teams lost one of the 3 or 4 best players in the league to the team that just set the record for regular season wins. Not a lot of precedent for this, haha.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Yeah, I've criticized "entitled Thudner fans" in the past, and this is going to be the manifestation of it. KD put in his time. OKC fans did nothing to earn the great team that fell in their lap. So whatever.

The choice of team is much more criticism-worthy than the fact he left at all.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
I'll never understand the desire to burn a players Jersey who spent the first nine years of their career in your city.

Dude helped put OKC on the map but you think it's OK to get in your feelings for a decision he thought was best for him?

Nah b

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I'll never understand the desire to burn a players Jersey who spent the first nine years of their career in your city.

Dude helped put OKC on the map but you think it's OK to get in your feelings for a decision he thought was best for him?

Nah b

Like I said, sports fans are generally mouthbreathing mongs. This isn't the first time people from a fanbase have reacted poorly to a situation like this and it won't be the last.

Heisman06

I just love the justification sports fans try to make for their anger. You're not mad because KD joined forces with GS, you're mad because KD left. Same way Cleveland wasn't mad about The Decision, they were mad because they are irrelevant without LeBron. Same way I wasn't mad just because LeBron crawled back to Dan Gilbert, I was mad because the best player in the world left my favorite team.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Yeah so Thudner is in an interesting spot. If they think RUSS is going to walk then it only makes sense to trade him. But doesn't RUSS essentially have a veto on any trade just by threatening not to resign with his new team?

If so, then they can only trade him somewhere he wants to go. And how many teams have enough pieces to make that trade even worth it while retaining enough to keep RUSS happy?

I'm distraught at how many of these thought experiments end with RUSS in LA and Griffin in OKC.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah so Thudner is in an interesting spot. If they think RUSS is going to walk then it only makes sense to trade him. But doesn't RUSS essentially have a veto on any trade just by threatening not to resign with his new team?

If so, then they can only trade him somewhere he wants to go. And how many teams have enough pieces to make that trade even worth it while retaining enough to keep RUSS happy?

I'm distraught at how many of these thought experiments end with RUSS in LA and Griffin in OKC.

Well don't be distraught, he most likely still would hate playing here and tell presti not to trade for him.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
total homer article by a writer in NZ aping for Adams

The Thunder need to go into full blown re-build mode and the man that stands to benefit from that plan would be Kiwi Adams.
He also becomes a free agent next season and the Thunder now has plenty of money and cap space to play with. Adams could re-sign as soon as this off-season and there is every chance the Thunder will offer him significant money now.
Talk of US$15-$20 million a season seemed a little high a few months ago but, based on the events of the past week, would appear to be well low now.
Players with a lot less upside to Adams have been banking that sort of money this week. The Kiwi center must be a serious chance of getting somewhere in the vicinity of US$20-$25 million a season.
Our answer might come sooner rather than later. The Thunder will take some time to reflect on the very few options they have. When the dust settles they will realise Durant broke them.
Westbrook is going to leave soon enough - they might as well trade him during the 2016-17 season and get something in return for him before he departs at the season's end and the Thunder get nothing.
All roads lead to a re-build and when they decide on that option - giving Adams a big deal to stay and build around will be the smart play.

:djscripclub::laughing:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It's fine he left, but it is weird and unprecedented where he went. I was on a celly with spotty service so I couldn't get anything but quips out before. I've thought about it a lot because it was so shocking to me :laughing:

So the 2nd best player (arguably, whatever top 3 or maybe 4 at worst even if someone hates him) has a pretty good team. They had the North American Champs down 3-1 in the WCF. They were there. So they are definitely good enough to beat the best, I trust they were good enough to give the Cavs a series too.

2nd best player leaves and goes to the team he just lost to. They also have just set the record for wins in a season. The proper analogy would be Lebrin Jerns going to Boston instead of Miami. But even that doesn't quite work because Jerns' best teammate was probably Mo Williams.

Then of course the Warriors have been recruiting him all season. Of course he's been toying with this for months. I mean once his cat passed away the writing was really on the wall.

My conclusion? KD likes 2k too much and wants to play as the Warriors online. I'm fine with it, I never bought a jersey of his but if I did I wouldn't burn it.

After thinking on it I'm really really excited to see what they do next year. I can't wait until they are the #1 seed after winning 75 games and get matched up with the #8 seed Thudner. RUSS will average 55/22/20/25 (yes that 25 stands for TOs) and beat them in game 7 with a rousing performance ending with him dunking on Durant from the three point line. He won't shake Durant's hand afterwards but will just stare at him for about 20-25 seconds before softly saying "You played urself".

Then in 9 weeks he will also sign with the Warriors.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Another thought I had... Can we please just have this happen once to an LA team with a super egotistical star like they breed in the NFL, where they hold an ABC primetime special that is 2 hours long?

"In this fall... this is very tough... in this fall I'm going to take my talents down the hall and join the Los Angeles Lakers.

MSUFanatic

Bucksin04

1. Yesterday.

2. Mike's Lyfe guy is a friend of Waids. Reynolds is from the Associated Press.

3. Josina Anderson from ESPN

4. Cavs announcer Austin Carr's son:

5. This morning. From a verified reporter.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
The more I think about it the more disappointed I am with choosing GS. I get it from a "basketball" sense to join GS, but this whole era of basketball is just weird. I mean probably the closest equivalent would be Bird signing with the Lakers. But whatever. The guy wants to be Harrison Barnes, not a superstar. Wish him the best when he's crying in the corner of the locker room cause drayman yells at him.