• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015 MLB Thread (Little things that keep you up)

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I wonder if Wright doesn't field that ball if that play is any different. Hosmer probably got an extra step or two because of that (Wright not covering third means no threat of being thrown out), making it easier to go home.

Bdub

I wonder if Wright doesn't field that ball if that play is any different. Hosmer probably got an extra step or two because of that (Wright not covering third means no threat of being thrown out), making it easier to go home.
For sure, he couldn't hold him. Still should have had him at home.

That being said from little league to the World Series the third baseman gets everything he can get to.

Last edited:

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Oh. Hi. :)

Aww fuck it. World Series Champions. Sorry @ RutgersMike

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Sorry, @Rutgers Mike

tumblr_nqjef9mPVq1qf9ni3o4_250.gif

ZackMills

Have mercy
I'm going to work that into my teaching. "You have nothing to head your head down for...except you failed this test and don't know what you are doing."

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Man I'm glad I'm too old to take this stuff seriously and I didn't sperg out defending Black against our San Diego residents like @Orlando.

Baker is interesting. He's very polarizing and lots of people hate him. He's had success and can probably bring some stability to the group of ego maniacs in our locker room. His pitching rep is a decade too old for his track record. I mean he's infinitely better than Matt Williams.

That said, the Nats handled this so laughably. Kilgore basically shreds ownership with brutal quotes from people around the league and says that Rizzo is embarrassed:

The Nationals decided on Black last Wednesday. Negotiations commenced. The first offer the Nationals made Black, a manager fresh off an eight-year stint with the San Diego Padres, would have guaranteed him $1.6 million for one season. It left Black “deeply offended,” according to one person familiar with the situation. In the end, the Lerners would not exceed an offer of two years with multiple team options. By Saturday, talks had crumbled. They didn’t get their man, because they insulted him.

For context, Don Mattingly – a manager with more division titles but less experience than Black – signed a four-year contract with the Miami Marlins. The Lerners made Jeffrey Loria appear decisive and considerate.

The contract length matters for financial reasons, of course. It also allows a manager to do his job. With two years guaranteed – or one – handling a clubhouse of unfamiliar personalities would have been untenable. The first step is to gain credibility and respect, and that kind of contract prevents it. It forces a manager to look over his shoulder and defend himself rather than protect and motivate players. It breeds dysfunction.

These are some words overheard and texted Monday night from people in the game regarding the Nationals:

“Laughingstock.”

“They don’t know what they’re doing.”

“Dumpster fire.”

“All about money.”

The Lerners should know better by now. In 2011, Jim Riggleman resigned in the midst of a winning streak while making $600,000 on the final year of his deal. It took the Nationals months to finalize Davey Johnson’s contract details after he won the NL manager of the year award in 2012. He ended up with a $4 million contract for one season of managing and several years as a “consultant,” during which time he has done no work for Washington. When the Nationals hired Matt Williams, they gave him two years guaranteed. The same offseason, the Tigers, Phillies, Cubs and Reds guaranteed their first-year managers three seasons.

Riggleman, Johnson and Williams all had reason for taking short money on short deals. Riggleman had graduated to the position from interim; Johnson had been out of big-league dugouts for a decade; Williams had a close relationship with General Manager Mike Rizzo and had never managed before.

The man stuck in the middle is Rizzo. He has not returned calls or texts. People close to him believe he was embarrassed by the Black situation, over which he had little control. The managerial crisis will not prompt him to bolt, but his situation can be considered tenuous. Rizzo’s contract is guaranteed for 2016, but the Lerners hold team options for 2017 and 2018. Despite this past season’s disappointment, postseason flops and the misfire on Williams, Rizzo has built the Nationals into an annual NL East contender and won two division titles.

This season, the Lerners shelled out $165 million in payroll for players, sixth in the majors. Good for them. They still lack an understanding of how to treat people within their industry. Consider how out of touch offering Black two years on short money is. Black would have had to bring a whole staff, and he likely wanted to bring along confidant Rick Renteria as his bench coach. Renteria, as a former big league manager, would have garnered a higher salary than a typical bench coach. Does it sound as though the Lerners would realize that? Like they have any handle on standard practices?

Within baseball, there existed a belief that the Lerners did not understand how to pay managers or deal with certain employees. At a stage when they should know better, it has exploded into full public view. The end of the season revealed top-down dysfunction. This makes it worse. This is a mess. What must Baker have thought as he mulled this offer?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-lerner-family-has-a-fiasco-on-its-hands/

Last edited:

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Phillies buyout the last year of Cliff Lee's contract. Buyout was $12.5 million. If he was on the 2016 roster, Lee would have been paid $27.5 million.

That leaves Ryan Howard as the only remaining Phillie with a terrible contract. Howard gets paid $25 million to, at best, platoon at first base.

Carlos Ruiz gets paid $8.5 million in 2016 but the Phillies like his veteran presence behind the plate to manage the young pitching staff.