• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2022 Season: Championship Saturday Thread - Don’t Look Back In Anger

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Glad he could sneak some homophobia in with the sexism! DA GAYS like listening to FEMALES talk about sports because they aren't MANLY MAN enough!

VERY STRAIGHT AND VERY COOL

squeeze_ani.gif

Lightningwar

Administrator
I must have been lucky in never felt the need to run away from my family like this guy. Even my ex-wife I never felt the need to run into a room to watch football and get away from her. I also never cared what gender the commentator is , my only request is they don't suck at it.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I used to hate Pam ....something.. can't remember her name.. Ward maybe? on games. That's how you knew you were getting some Big ten snoozefest like Iowa Northwestern or something.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I used to hate Pam ....something.. can't remember her name.. Ward maybe? on games. That's how you knew you were getting some Big ten snoozefest like Iowa Northwestern or something.

Yeah she was rough. Her delivery added to the snoozefest.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I missed why they went for 12 team playoff. I never really got why they did that instead of 8 (5 P5 champions, 3 at large). Maybe that’s fine, it almost seems like too much once you factor in conference championships doe.

CJ_24

They want to turn college football from a 6 month sport to a two month sport. People, generally care about the college football regular season for two reasons: 1) National title/postseason ramifications/chaos each week, and 2) rivalry games. Expanding the playoff eliminates number 1.

Look at college basketball. Zero regular season games matter. The sport matters for only three weeks in March. How many regular season college basketball games can you remember that had postseason implications? Hell, how many regular season hoops games can you remember period?

How many regular season footbaw games with postseason implications can you remember?

The sport is cutting off it's nose in spite of its face and will be irrelevant outside of the Souf in fifteen years

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Nah, college football kind of sucks right now. It's the same 5-6 teams that make the playoff every year. The vast majority of regular season games don't matter for the national title or playoffs already. Alabama has looked like shit, lost 2 games, and they still might make the playoff. OSU got their ass beat by the only good team they played, and they might still make the playoff. Bama, Georgia, and OSU dominate recruiting so much it's hard for other teams for keep up from year-to-year. It's a shitty era when one of Alabama and Clemson have been in the national championship game 7 of 8 years of the playoff (and played each other in the title game 3 times).

I think 12 teams will be way better than now. You'll get games with teams in the top 10 to top 20 that matter more with a bigger playoff than before. With the top 10 teams, it becomes about seeding and hopefully hosting a playoff game.

I would be down to go back to the BCS system (or even pre-BCS system), but I think the 4 team playoff sucks.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Nah, college football kind of sucks right now. It's the same 5-6 teams that make the playoff every year. The vast majority of regular season games don't matter for the national title or playoffs already. Alabama has looked like shit, lost 2 games, and they still might make the playoff. OSU got their ass beat by the only good team they played, and they might still make the playoff. Bama, Georgia, and OSU dominate recruiting so much it's hard for other teams for keep up from year-to-year. It's a shitty era when one of Alabama and Clemson have been in the national championship game 7 of 8 years of the playoff (and played each other in the title game 3 times).

I think 12 teams will be way better than now. You'll get games with teams in the top 10 to top 20 that matter more with a bigger playoff than before. With the top 10 teams, it becomes about seeding and hopefully hosting a playoff game.

I would be down to go back to the BCS system (or even pre-BCS system), but I think the 4 team playoff sucks.

I blame Nick Saban. He has single-handedly made college football boring because of how regularly awesome his teams are. In previous eras of college football, even legendary coaches with legendary programs rarely dominated with such machine-like regularity as Saban's Tide has.

Of course, his ridiculous level of success has engendered an arms race with all the other blueblood programs that want to be where Alabama is, with the result that I believe the talent in college football is much more concentrated than ever before in the 20-30 top programs (which means the Top 5 in any given year are REALLY elite on their rosters).

I did always think an 8-team playoff for CFB was perfect - it fits neatly into a 3-week span, and any would-be champion would have to win 3 consecutive games against Top 8 competition. Any team that survives such a gauntlet definitely deserves the label of champion IMO, unlike the beauty contests we've hitherto had where in reality, most teams that finished #1 might have only had 2, possibly 3 tough games on their schedule, and they were evenly spaced out.

The 12 team playoff is fine to me to me. I think the playoff should be however large it needs to be where every team that begins the year 0-0 has the same chance to get in as long as they win the games they need to. None of this nonsense where (in years past) an undefeated mid-major would get passed over for a 2-loss ESSEEECEE team.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I blame Nick Saban. He has single-handedly made college football boring because of how regularly awesome his teams are. In previous eras of college football, even legendary coaches with legendary programs rarely dominated with such machine-like regularity as Saban's Tide has.

Of course, his ridiculous level of success has engendered an arms race with all the other blueblood programs that want to be where Alabama is, with the result that I believe the talent in college football is much more concentrated than ever before in the 20-30 top programs (which means the Top 5 in any given year are REALLY elite on their rosters).

I did always think an 8-team playoff for CFB was perfect - it fits neatly into a 3-week span, and any would-be champion would have to win 3 consecutive games against Top 8 competition. Any team that survives such a gauntlet definitely deserves the label of champion IMO, unlike the beauty contests we've hitherto had where in reality, most teams that finished #1 might have only had 2, possibly 3 tough games on their schedule, and they were evenly spaced out.

The 12 team playoff is fine to me to me. I think the playoff should be however large it needs to be where every team that begins the year 0-0 has the same chance to get in as long as they win the games they need to. None of this nonsense where (in years past) an undefeated mid-major would get passed over for a 2-loss ESSEEECEE team.

Don't blame Nick Saban. Blame the humans who keep on giving his teams more mulligans than any other program.

Playoff sucks. Always has sucked, and it will suck even more now.

-YTC

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Another reason college football sucks right now - the championship games have no upside for teams in them. If USC loses, they are out of the CFP. They would be in a better spot if they weren't playing in the championship game. For Georgia and Michigan, winning or losing the championship game likely doesn't matter except for seeding - which doesn't matter that much in a 4-team playoff. I want Michigan to win because it's fun to win the Big Ten, but it likely won't matter for anything except saying we're the Big Ten Champs.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I fully expect the P2 to break off into their own division. And each conference will have 24 teams for a 48 team league.
To me, the answer is to stop bloating the conferences, to me.
Want to expand the conferences to include Rutgers and Maryland, or Syracuse and Pitt with the end result being that a 7 win Purdont team makes the title game over a 10 win osu. Then GOOD. They made their stupid bed. They should fucking sleep in it

I don't disagree with you. The conference expansion that required divisions has been a problem from day one. It adds in a new wrinkle but most years the two teams playing for the conf title are not the two best teams. I prefer 10 team conferences with a 9 game conf schedule. Every team plays each other and the best record wins it. But money is involved so that genie is not going back into the bottle.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Another reason college football sucks right now - the championship games have no upside for teams in them. If USC loses, they are out of the CFP. They would be in a better spot if they weren't playing in the championship game. For Georgia and Michigan, winning or losing the championship game likely doesn't matter except for seeding - which doesn't matter that much in a 4-team playoff. I want Michigan to win because it's fun to win the Big Ten, but it likely won't matter for anything except saying we're the Big Ten Champs.

There is something to be said for this as well. Bama has backed into the playoffs by not having to play in the SECCG. It benefitted them to not make the championship game. Likewise if USC or TCU lose this weekend tOSU benefits as they most likely move into the 4th spot.

bruin

The @pac12 highlighting and pumping up a team and player who literally told them “f$ck off, I’m leaving” is so incredibly Pac-12…….it hurts my head.