• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2046 WBL Off-Season Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Instead of just one thing last year (international stuff) 16 looks like it has more than a few new things that will benefit our league. Like the new pennant chase screen idea too. If the contracts actually get more realistic, that will be a huge deal

osick87

Community Liaison
Now he'll give you short- and long-term goals, which may include: winning the World Series within X seasons; fixing a certain weakness on your roster; extending the contract of a star player; and much more. Your ability to meet those goals not only decides if you'll be fired but also determines if your contract will be extended at a higher salary, which is another new feature this year.

That will be nice too.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah we didnt say no to corches because they didn't have personality traits

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I like the idea of rainouts too. I know OU andI had a game with a rain delay but rainouts would be a cool feature IMO.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Just saw the increased Awards section. Now everyone can be a wizard

*More player awards, for example Most Valuable Player, Playoff Series MVPs, best hitters by position and Reliever of the Year
*Better playoff history tracking, including career playoff stats for all real players in the database and playoff leaderboards

This along with the financials make this a definite upgrade. Playoff history tracking is godawful right now, I hate it. Can't upgrade soon enough

Wolfman21

South League is going to be a hell of a battle this year. With False Bay making the moves they made, there are 6 teams all with the talent to make it to the playoffs.

NML

Not the first one of us to make that mistake.

For the purpose of budgets, spring training isn't preseason.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I asked a couple days ago.

My scout found a nice pitching prospect to add to the haul I got in IFA. Luh dat.

doh

Eric Sutton out 3-4 months. Was worried about the number of appearances he's made the last two years including playoffs. Not good.

doh

Varsity Predictions

1. Amsterdam -- Too much firepower. This is probably the best lineup I've seen in the WBL. Great defense at most positions. Made a lot of really smart FA signs to fill out the pitching. My one concern is outside of Boys not much elite pitching. Maybe Corbishly too. Maybe move Karp to the rotation for the playoffs? Sorry for typing that rest of the WBL.

2. Helsingborg -- Lineup has tons of power even with losses of Leafson and Harris (adding Seg doesn't hurt). Naz is one of the best pitchers in the WBL. OF defense should be best in the WBL but IF defense could be interesting with Seg trying out SS. But having him at SS is a huge add offensively.

3. Las Vegas -- Offensively could be a challenge especially when Grim Reaper and McHeshi get their yearly injuries. Feel like Harris will help a lot at C, a full year of Bahceli/Langille will help as well. Hoping Juarez is better than he was last year... he's still just 22. I think my 3B platoon could work as well. Added a lot to my bullpen and hoping that plus defense is able to keep me in most games. Feel like I'm still built to do well in the playoffs with bullpen and SP strengths.

4. Istanbul -- Kinda a quiet off-season from Istanbul. Struck out on the Rat sweepstakes and lost three good pitchers to FA. Only two pitchers on staff who had a FIP lower than 4 last year is the bad news. The good news is the offense should again be extremely good with some guys being even better than last year.

5. Moscow -- No offense to Wendell but I feel like there's a big gap from 4 to 5. Didn't do much in the off-season after finishing off the playoff chase. Need to add a SP or two and maybe more to get into the top 4.

6. Seoul -- According to WAR, the winners of the off-season. The Stuut signing wasn't cheap but it should help out. A lot of winning the WAR championship was losing negative WAR players which should help. Have the best position player (Carrier) and maybe the best pitcher (Okada) in the NL. Very top heavy team though. Huge drop off from 5th batter on in lineup. Big drop off after 3rd SP too. Should be good defensively.

7. Berlin -- Like a lot what Rutgers Mike is doing. Trading Hapgood and trying to "kill em with numbers" which is a strategy I think works in baseball and isn't used enough in this league. Added a lot of league average or better players via FA/trades that will help him win a lot more games. Pitching staff should be around league average. Lineup is OK but defensively won't be great. But I see a plan in place.

8. Dublin -- I think Rad might've exported this off-season?

9. Lisbon -- Still a long way for them to go but the Rat move IMO was brilliant. Might as well get a building block and he got the biggest prize in FA.

Playoffs

Amsterdam beats Istanbul in 3 -- See this as an easy series for the Tulips unless Istanbul brings in some pitching.

Las Vegas beats Helsingborg in 5 -- Orlando leaves a raging obscenity filled post in anger towards me.

Amsterdam beats Las Vegas in 5 -- Wins in 5 to get revenge in a low scoring series

Amsterdam beats JV in 4-- because duh

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
@doh infield is just getting reps out of position. Seg is probably at 2B with Padilla at SS.

:laughing: and I never rage or swear at you. I just troll your team.

doh

Ahh makes sense. Hard to tell right now in ST. I like you guys as the clear 2nd best team in NL as of now. I feel like if I were to do levels right now I'd go:

AMD
HEL
LV/IST
MOS/SEO
BER/DUB
LIS

Me and Yankee are going to need a) injuries from Amsterdam/Helsingborg or b) big time mid-season moves on offense for me and pitching for him to crack that 1-2. Seoul IMO just needs to add 2-3 better batters and 2-3 arms and they're in business. Moscow the same.

Trades could change that hierarchy but as of now that's how I see it.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Seoul I always my dark horse. They linger waiting foe someone to fall. Don't forget, Istanbul finished second last year. That offense is legit and I think he has enough pitching to possibly repeat.

doh

I agree because they have the best player and maybe best pitcher Seoul could do some damage. My problem with them is I could see them going a combined 0 WAR at LF, C, 2B, 3B. IF they just upgraded there, it'd be a huge help.

Istanbul I just feel like was OK pitching wise and lost three guys. Unless Yankee has some good pitching coming up, I don't think they can hang with you and OU this year.

doh

Yeah My rotation will be terrible this year. Dont think I make the playoffs
Just add a couple solid back end guys and you'll be fine in the regular season. Even if you didn't, I still think you make the playoffs.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I agree because they have the best player and maybe best pitcher Seoul could do some damage. My problem with them is I could see them going a combined 0 WAR at LF, C, 2B, 3B. IF they just upgraded there, it'd be a huge help.

Istanbul I just feel like was OK pitching wise and lost three guys. Unless Yankee has some good pitching coming up, I don't think they can hang with you and OU this year.

I'm hopeful that Fiasco won't be a... fiasco at 2b. 3b is tough, but Denktash is a good fielder there and I feel like last season was a down year for him. Tommy Perkins is getting a shot in LF, I'd like to see what he can do; bin Sameh is backing up both corner spots and hit well last year.

Furzer finally put it together last season and was destroying AA; he played well this spring and at the very least will platoon with Escobedo (who I also hope just had a down season last time out) but is getting a chance to take the job outright.

Lloyd Carr

Yeah, looking at Amsterdam, I don't see any way they don't win the ship again this year. Only thing that would stop them is if the team bus crashes and they all die, or OU trades everyone away.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Our staff will only have 2 guys on it. I think I'll win the regular season again but in the playoffs it will be anyone's game again

doh

Yeah, looking at Amsterdam, I don't see any way they don't win the ship again this year. Only thing that would stop them is if the team bus crashes and they all die, or OU trades everyone away.
I posted this last year before the playoffs but I really do think the 5 game Lambship is a game changer in regards to dominant teams. With the bye and just having 7-game series, it was almost impossible to beat OU or a team of that level. A 5-game series means things even out a lot.