• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2049-2050 Offseason Thread (FREE AGENCY TIME)

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Holy shit, Clodio finally did it. Cut my budget way down. I wonder if it's because I shed so much payroll since last off-season.

osick87

Community Liaison
So It's looking like I may have to shed some payroll.

While I would prefer not to do a @Yankee151 style firesale, I am willing to take offers on pretty much anyone on my roster not on a minimum deal.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@Travis7401 forget what I said about budgets, 16 marches to the beat of its own drum. Some of this stuff is wild, I knew they revamped it but this is a completely different system.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@Travis7401 forget what I said about budgets, 16 marches to the beat of its own drum. Some of this stuff is wild, I knew they revamped it but this is a completely different system.

I'm interested in at least trying to figure this out so we all have some more understanding of the budget process. What was your budget last season, out of curiosity and what is it now? Can you also give me the last 2 years of Rev/Expenses?

The offer goes for anyone who is interested in helping understand this stuff. I'm not trying to pry, but it is hard to look at anyone's budget stuff but my own further back than the last season.

Schauwn

I have a budget of $96m now, $102 last year.

Revenue of $47m, expenses of $15m

Last edited:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm interested in at least trying to figure this out so we all have some more understanding of the budget process. What was your budget last season, out of curiosity and what is it now? Can you also give me the last 2 years of Rev/Expenses?

The offer goes for anyone who is interested in helping understand this stuff. I'm not trying to pry, but it is hard to look at anyone's budget stuff but my own further back than the last season.
Oh I'm down for trying to figure it out, i just know it's not anything like the last few years. Teams that won and made money had a lowered budget (me) and teams that lost a shit ton and mad money went up. Then rad, little rock, and buenos aires are just fucked six ways til sunday

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Oh I'm down for trying to figure it out, i just know it's not anything like the last few years. Teams that won and made money had a lowered budget (me) and teams that lost a shit ton and mad money went up. Then rad, little rock, and buenos aires are just fucked six ways til sunday
One season makes it hard to figure out, but I really think your budget was just too high for the world we built. 16 definitely treats the market sizes differently.

Agreed, goals obviously have nothing to do with it or else budgets wouldn't get cut if your goal is to win the ship in a 3-5 year window.

last year worked basically the same way.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I have a budget of $96m now, $102 last year.

My hypothesis on the budget is that your owner takes into account multiple years of budgetary performance (lag effect), the team's balance (what is left in the bank), and predicted performance/goal for the next season (this is the curveball if it changes year to year) in order to set their budget for next year with the design of not losing money.

Your goal is rebuilding (meaning your owner doesn't expect much revenue from you when he's setting your budget).

Ur Revenue last season was $95,720,291
Ur Expenses last season were $104,123,067
Ur balance at the end of last season was $1,597,224

So here is why I think your owner cut your budget for the upcoming season:
1. You lost $8.4 Million last year
2. You drained your balance all the down to way to $1.6 Million
3. This means that if you perform as expected this season (rebuilding) and you do so on the same budget you had this year, you'll end up with a pretty large negative balance, projected at $-9,232,084
4. In order to prevent or limit this, your owner has essentially decreased your budget to stop you from ruining his life. If you had more $ in the bank (balance) I'm not sure he would be so drastic about it.

With the expectation that your revenue will be basically the same as last year (your goal stayed the same) your owner has reduced your budget by $6 Million. Seems pretty reasonable considering your $8.4 M loss last year and your $1.6M left in the bank. Do that exact thing again and you'd end up at -6.8M balance and your projected balance is worse yet -9.2M.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
One season makes it hard to figure out, but I really think your budget was just too high for the world we built. 16 definitely treats the market sizes differently.

Agreed, goals obviously have nothing to do with it or else budgets wouldn't get cut if your goal is to win the ship in a 3-5 year window.

last year worked basically the same way.

Maybe but then that means that 16 is dynamic from year to year on what the price ceiling is. We moved in 2048, so last year my going up $4M to $190M meant the ceiling was higher.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

I noticed your team focus for the coming year is "neutral" now. If this had previously been "win now" it could explain the drop year over year. The owner is happy with his Shampionship and no longer gives you the ridiculous budget that accompanies "win now" and he's sending you a message that basically playoffs are fine.

You still have the #1 budget, btw, so it could just be that you are hitting the top end limits. You can continue to print money all you want, but your owner probably won't allow your budget to be that much above the rest of the league when he can just bank profit instead, lol.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I noticed your team focus for the coming year is "neutral" now. If this had previously been "win now" it could explain the drop year over year. The owner is happy with his Shampionship and no longer gives you the ridiculous budget that accompanies "win now" and he's sending you a message that basically playoffs are fine.

You still have the #1 budget, btw, so it could just be that you are hitting the top end limits. You can continue to print money all you want, but your owner probably won't allow your budget to be that much above the rest of the league when he can just bank profit instead, lol.

The ceiling thing I don't accept yet, I wouldn't have gone up to 190M last season and I wouldn't have lost 16M on my budget if I just hit the ceiling. I'd have stayed at the ceiling. I didn't notice he took me off win now, I wonder if he did that throughout the season. That could be why my fucking attendance was such shit!

Good eye travis, I bet that is it.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think the biggest deal is Clodio is 83 now and he's not all there mentally anymore. He went back 10 years in his mind and thought 172 was a good going rate for a budget. Inflation, clodio, inflation.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@OU11 you made $34.4M last season and your balance ended at $44.5 which I assume means you had roughly $10M in the "bank" before that. Your owner is projecting an end of the year balance of $26.7M, which would mean he's projecting a loss of $17.8M next year, basically. To me that means he's projecting you make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round, which would result in about $17M less in revenue. With a "neutral" goal, he's probably not expecting a shampionship and therefore isn't betting on that excess playoff revenue.

I still think ur the anomaly doe.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Can we even change our goal?

No. You're still good you just can't make any moves. Your young guys should be playing much better this upcoming year. The only thing you can do is just get rid of everyone who you don't need on your 40man. Try to get your 40 man down to 25 :laughing:

But seriously if you do that you'll save $5.8Mish

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Maybe but then that means that 16 is dynamic from year to year on what the price ceiling is. We moved in 2048, so last year my going up $4M to $190M meant the ceiling was higher.
Maybe. To be honest I am not sure we ever had it fully figured out. Here are my budgets.

My info: (year / budget / record / result / balance)
'45 - 168m / 101-61 / playoffs / $21.4m
'46 - 168m / 102-60 / playoffs / ($600k)
'47 - 168m / 100-62 / ship / $22.9m
'48 - 164m / 113-61 / lost in ship/ $83.1m
'49 - 166m / 78-84 / 6th / $2.7m
'50 - 154m

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
@OU11 you made $34.4M last season and your balance ended at $44.5 which I assume means you had roughly $10M in the "bank" before that. Your owner is projecting an end of the year balance of $26.7M, which would mean he's projecting a loss of $17.8M next year, basically. To me that means he's projecting you make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round, which would result in about $17M less in revenue. With a "neutral" goal, he's probably not expecting a shampionship and therefore isn't betting on that excess playoff revenue.

I still think ur the anomaly doe.
Yet is goal are to make the playoffs and build a shampship team.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@Mr. Radpants what was your budget last year? I think you are a good example of your owner changing his outlook because you are on "rebuilding" now. He's given you the 2nd lowest budget in the league to send you a message about what he thinks of your fuckshit.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The ceiling thing I don't accept yet, I wouldn't have gone up to 190M last season and I wouldn't have lost 16M on my budget if I just hit the ceiling. I'd have stayed at the ceiling. I didn't notice he took me off win now, I wonder if he did that throughout the season. That could be why my fucking attendance was such shit!

Good eye travis, I bet that is it.
Well if you look at my numbers it definitely looks like I have had some type of ceiling.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Maybe. To be honest I am not sure we ever had it fully figured out. Here are my budgets.

My info: (year / budget / record / result / balance)
'45 - 168m / 101-61 / playoffs / $21.4m
'46 - 168m / 102-60 / playoffs / ($600k)
'47 - 168m / 100-62 / ship / $22.9m
'48 - 164m / 113-61 / lost in ship/ $83.1m
'49 - 166m / 78-84 / 6th / $2.7m
'50 - 154m

How do you get your old budgets?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Well if you look at my numbers it definitely looks like I have had some type of ceiling.

That makes me wonder what else is at work here, I know I didn't have the same ceiling you did (obviously) if you did have one. So are owners back in play here, and are they deciding the ceiling you're at individually? My owner is generous while yours is charitable.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
@Mr. Radpants what was your budget last year? I think you are a good example of your owner changing his outlook because you are on "rebuilding" now. He's given you the 2nd lowest budget in the league to send you a message about what he thinks of your fuckshit.

I think I was rebuilding last year.

I don't remember, I think I was around 110. It's been going down, I was around 125 on OOTP 15.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I'm looking at the "team focus" on your budget screen because it seems to tie pretty well to budget.
I know what you are looking at, it's just funny how they are conflicting and I was pointing that out. I think I have always been neutral since we switched and couldn't control it ourselves anymore, yet my goals from my owner have been make the playoffs and win a ship.

I also wonder if GM rep plays any type of role.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I mean I'm a special case because I was just in the WS a year ago so maybe that's why I still have a good budget

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
How do you get your old budgets?
Owner screen. There are bar graphs for the last 10 years. You can change them to a lot of different things.

That makes me wonder what else is at work here, I know I didn't have the same ceiling you did (obviously) if you did have one. So are owners back in play here, and are they deciding the ceiling you're at individually? My owner is generous while yours is charitable.
I think Loyalty/Interest and expected attendance obviously plays a roll. Mine has been lower than yours, always.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

To me it looks like you previously had a budget that was expecting you to advance into the playoffs. When you didn't make the playoffs last season you lost a lot of money. Your owner now has you budgeted in that middle of the playoff pack range where he's expecting you to be fighting for a playoff berth, but not much else. Honestly your year over year success and solid balance headed into last season probably saved you from a drastic budget cut. If you and Buffalo fail to make the playoffs again this season with your high expenses, you both may be looking at a drastic drop to rebuilding levels.

See how the top 4 are a good bit higher? To me that reflects owner confidence, a nice high balance, etc and competing for the title. Everyone in that 150M-154M range is predicted to be competing for playoff spots but the owner isn't willing to make much more of a risk than that. The teams in the $110-130 range are all "neutral" but the owner probably isn't expecting any playoff revenue yet or they are still recovering financially. I'd love to see Key West's year over year. The bottom teams are all in "rebuilding" mode and their budgets reflect that.

Yankee's goal has changed from "rebuilding" to "neutral" and that coupled with his fiscal conservatism has given him a huge boost.

[xtable=skin1|cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0|316x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}1{/td}
{td}Amsterdam Tulips{/td}
{td}$174,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2{/td}
{td}False Bay Flying Whites{/td}
{td}$170,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}3{/td}
{td}Las Vegas Pac Men{/td}
{td}$168,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}4{/td}
{td}Kabul Bulls{/td}
{td}$158,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}5{/td}
{td}Cairo Tutankhamuns{/td}
{td}$154,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}6{/td}
{td}Helsingborg Hammers{/td}
{td}$154,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}7{/td}
{td}Seoul Glow{/td}
{td}$154,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}8{/td}
{td}Buenos Aires Gauchos{/td}
{td}$152,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}9{/td}
{td}Buffalo Murricans{/td}
{td}$152,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}10{/td}
{td}Moscow Mules{/td}
{td}$150,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}11{/td}
{td}Istanbul Ottomans{/td}
{td}$130,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}12{/td}
{td}Berlin Bomber Bears{/td}
{td}$128,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}13{/td}
{td}North Dakota Riggers{/td}
{td}$112,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}14{/td}
{td}Key West Pirates{/td}
{td}$110,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}15{/td}
{td}San Francisco Tanners{/td}
{td}$104,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}16{/td}
{td}Lisbon Conquistadors{/td}
{td}$96,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}17{/td}
{td}Dublin Distillers{/td}
{td}$95,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}18{/td}
{td}Little Rock Miners{/td}
{td}$83,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I mean I'm a special case because I was just in the WS a year ago so maybe that's why I still have a good budget
See, your team never made sense to me either. Your attendance is great but your loyalty and interest is good to average. I struggle pulling in the attendance you do after a decade of winning.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Top 3 are really more separated. Kabul is right there with the other in the 150's. There is a much bigger gap from 3 to 4 than 4 to 5.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
See, your team never made sense to me either. Your attendance is great but your loyalty and interest is good to average. I struggle pulling in the attendance you do after a decade of winning.

He charges $20 a ticket