• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2049 WBL Draft Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Reading comprehension fail goes to me this evening. :laughing:
Game had to of borcked. Cause I didn't mess with managing the minors rosters til the Opening Day sim.
You sure you didnt cut ur first round picks? Gimme a list of names.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
You sure you didnt cut ur first round picks? Gimme a list of names.
Richard Brown: http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports/players/player_5957.html
Paul Olsen: http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports/players/player_5930.html
Martin Hale: http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports/players/player_5640.html
Millard Williamson: http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports/players/player_5646.html
Bobby Anderson: http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports/players/player_5907.html

Those are the handful that I can see under the Cairo transactions log for Feb. 20th that were drafted and subsequently released.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
That really is weird. Maybe that's when osick and i transitioned and something screwy happened then

Wolfman21

I was planning on not signing whoever i drafted, however, I really like this guy. Today, in the sim, is actually his birthday, so hes JUST turning 18. His personality ratings are through the roof awesome and he threw a no hitter in HS. Thats enough for me to keep him and see what happens.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
That's what's stupid about it. The league has a gentleman's agreement against doing that, but you would be the one to go against it.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I mean its just dumb, especially now that we can see the next class. Otherwise you could have two picks in every draft until you get what you want. Gonna have 28 picks in round one

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
If you can't afford to sign your picks that's one thing, but doing it just because you don't like the class is lame. It dilutes the first round the following year.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
When you think about doing things like that, think about if more than just you did it. How it would affect things. Dont think of only whats best for you, it could hurt the league as a whole

Wolfman21

I mean its just dumb, especially now that we can see the next class. Otherwise you could have two picks in every draft until you get what you want. Gonna have 28 picks in round one

Its dumb to you. Smart to me. But whatever. If its a known gentlemans agreement(now atleast), then i'll make sure to keep my eye out for people that break it. That way, when i call them out on it, I can be called an asshole then as well.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Its dumb to you. Smart to me. But whatever. If its a known gentlemans agreement(now atleast), then i'll make sure to keep my eye out for people that break it. That way, when i call them out on it, I can be called an asshole then as well.
It hurts the league so yeah, it's dumb. You think i want all these shitty picks? I could just only sign the comp picks and have two firsts and two seconds every year. You think we're all too dumb to realize that?

osick87

Community Liaison

If you don't sign your comp pick it doesn't carry over IIRC.

I've never done it on purpose. Just thought it was a tactic that a team could use.

Wolfman21

It hurts the league so yeah, it's dumb. You think i want all these shitty picks? I could just only sign the comp picks and have two firsts and two seconds every year. You think we're all too dumb to realize that?

if you did that, you'd only have 1 first and 1 second each year. Atleast until the year you used both your firsts, and then you'd be right back to where you are. Except it equals out, because you lost a first in the season that you didn't use it to get a comp pick.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
It's definitely been talked about, multiple times. It's probably been a while though. You probably would have gotten away with it, so if you want to be an asshole just keep it to yourself :laughing:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Just reread my posts, you can have two every year if you only sign the comps. Yes we've thought about it, no we dont do it.

Yes it is a smart tactic for a specific team to implement. No it isnt good for the league as a whole.

In the end it would be dumb to allow in the league, which is what quale and i are saying. Most never think about their actions in relation to the league, only about if it benefits them. That's why I'm here.

Wolfman21

It's definitely been talked about, multiple times. It's probably been a while though. You probably would have gotten away with it, so if you want to be an asshole just keep it to yourself :laughing:

i like to share my assholeism with everyone. keeps things interesting

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I mean the alternative is having 24+ first round picks every year. That'd be fun. Get to round three at pick 50, unless we have drafts like last year you'd only sign the second rounders you had to.

osick87

Community Liaison
I mean the alternative is having 24+ first round picks every year. That'd be fun. Get to round three at pick 50, unless we have drafts like last year you'd only sign the second rounders you had to.
This happened like 3 drafts ago. I agree it was tedious.

osick87

Community Liaison

I quit if you change the draft ages again.

Wolfman21

speaking of the draft ages...are we in a "wait and see what happens" with the draft pools or is there a specific time that things should get back to normal?

osick87

Community Liaison
The recent crop of new HS kids look promising. A 14 yr old with a handlebar stache is leading in HRs. College sort of depends if some HS kids don't sign or end up improving out of the blue. Given that a lot of guys are Extremely Hard, it might end up happening.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Next year wouldve been pretty normal. It would help if the draft site wasnt shit. It puts every 18 year old in, not just the ones in the class. So new ones will appear, and it fucks the next classes.

osick87

Community Liaison
Actually the 17 yr olds in COL look not bad so two drafts (I think) from now will be solid.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Fuckig. @OU11 picked my "#5" player Centena. I noticed on at the very bottom of his actual ratings page the OSA had him at 50/65/65 instead of 45/65/65? Was kinda weird. Made me think he was better than advertised, so I was excited to check what my scout thought. I also noticed his velocity was still low and he was only 18, so any improvement there and his stuff potential would bump up as well and he could end up like Cartwright.

My scout vehemently disagreed with OSA ratings, so I passed and was forced to trade down :(

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Fuckig. @OU11 picked my "#5" player Centena. I noticed on at the very bottom of his actual ratings page the OSA had him at 50/65/65 instead of 45/65/65? Was kinda weird. Made me think he was better than advertised, so I was excited to check what my scout thought. I also noticed his velocity was still low and he was only 18, so any improvement there and his stuff potential would bump up as well and he could end up like Cartwright.

My scout vehemently disagreed with OSA ratings, so I passed and was forced to trade down :(
Youre in my head about the velocity

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I was checking to make sure nothing was too messed up, the college sophomores have a lot of talent. Next year's draft will most likely be booboo but some could break out. After that I think we're back cookin on a full burner

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Tavaris I thought for sure you were picking Centena

I would have picked him at #5 if I panicked, but since I waited till I got home and saw what my scout thought.... plus the fact that he wanted a lot of money and was "extremely hard" for the riggers, it knocked him down just enough in my estimation to level him off with several more guys like Holbrook, Tillstrom, and Geldart. I knew I could Centena or one of the others at 9, so I dropped. Went with Geldart because the scout/OSA agreed. He was the only ++ hitter (compared to the pool, not the league) with defense in a position of want.

osick87

Community Liaison
I liked Lemus.

His GB rate scared the shit out of me but my park can handle it