• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Amsterdam Tulips Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I really don't get it, it actually seems like I do have commish cheat codes because I don't really feel my team is that much better than yours or karl's. I could probably trade away Wong and it wouldn't matter. It makes me want to blow it up

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I really don't get it, it actually seems like I do have commish cheat codes because I don't really feel my team is that much better than yours or karl's. I could probably trade away Wong and it wouldn't matter. It makes me want to blow it up
I was in first while I was simming, just sayin.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Trade Time

Amsterdam Sends
SP Andreas Havelid (AAA)
SP Sedattin Kemel (AAA)
SS Bert Lynam (AA)
2nd Round Pick
Buenos Aires Sends
C Bill Harris (WBL)
2nd Round Pick
I guess this was the fleece of all fleeces to most of the league, but I don't see it. I guess I'l be able to flip Bill later for a nice package. The way I saw it was Vis has struggled a great deal and this allows me to rest his legs significantly for the playoffs. Bill is a low average high power hitter which I'm not fond of. I like guys who get on base more and if they can hit for power in addition that's what I want. Kemel and Havelid were never going to break my rotation and I feel can be decent stop gaps for a team until they get the real deal in, while the trade boiled mostly down to Bert for Bill. I just found Bert in my system this year, he grew into a 2* prospect and when we switched to 15 he turned into a 4* when he was graded against the rest of the league. He will be an amazing fielder and will be a jack of all trades hitter. I'll really miss having that insurance coming up through the system. @osick87 people are sleeping on Bert, but they won't be for long.

Amsterdam sends
MR Gary Zhou
Hilsingborg sends
2nd Round Pick
This was just something I couldn't refuse. I really wanted to keep Zhou but a 2nd is a good prize for him. He has pitched fantastic over the years for a FA pick up and everybody buying MRs but leaving Li Johnston in the FA market made one expendable. People wanted to trade picks instead of take a chance on him, so it was an easier decision for me.

Amsterdam Sends:
2B Carl Aguirre
Istanbul Sends:
False Bay's 2042 1st Round Pick
Instanbul's 2042 2nd Round Pick
Why wouldn't I? Carl will be good but these two picks mean I have a chance at the next Carl. Durrach is a different hitter than Carl but he can hit for average and I have enough Pop to not need my 2B to hit 20 HRs

Macro look

Amsterdam sends
2B Carl Aguirre
2B/SS Bert Lynam
SP Andreas Havelid
SP Sedattin Kemal
MR Gary Zhou
2nd Round Pick

Amsterdam Recieves
C Bill Harris
False Bay's 1st Round Pick
Istanbul's 2nd Round Pick
Buenos Aires 2nd Round Pick
Helsingborg's 2nd Round Pick

Great trade deadline since I didn't send any serious WBL level players away while nabbing one and getting a plethora of picks to help my package for @Yankee151's Brittain

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I was sweating bullets because he was taking a really long time to sign since I lowballed him. Now I just have to hope for a good draft class to entice yankee to let me take Brittain off his hands

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
This off-season is going to take a lot of time for me. I want to finally end my over 26 program in my minor leagues which means I'll be cutting probably 20 guys across the levels and will need to sign younger guys to make them whole again. After seeing guys like Bert and Manny pop for no reason I want to take a chance on those younger fellas and see what they do.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Lol looked at bob nichols' demands for fun, wants $10M per. GJGE Bob's agent

AI would resign at $15M/5

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Off-Season Moves

Trades
Amsterdam sends
C Billy Ray Harris (WBL)

Helsingborg sends
LF Tomas Gonzalez (A)
2043 2nd Round Pick
Harris was really wasted as a backup so I wanted to move him. He was mostly brought in for chasing back to back shampships. I like Tomas and even though I have a huge strength in the corners I think he will bring great value in 2 years when he fills out.

Amsterdam sends
1-16
2-5

Helsingborg sends
1-11
The 1-11 ended up being Cliff Jackson. Or Johnson. Either way he was the best SP on the board IMO at that spot. He's a HS kid so who knows what he'll do, but John tells me he has great potential. He'll need to work on his control but if he can lock in he will be at worst a solid #3.

Seoul sends:
Rudi Wiegl

Amsterdam sends:
pick #52
Wiegl is better than a lottery ticket and I'm in need of a good backup catcher. Good defensively IIRC.

Las Vegas sends:
1-14

Amsterdam sends:
2-1
2-7
5th rounder
Too many picks means lots of moving up. Can't pay em all and this one got what I think will be the steal in the draft in Haswell if he follows Weber's training program. John told me he could hit 40 before I picked him.

Draft

1-9 Chris Brown
Feisty SS who has a bit of power. Had solid college stats and is at a position of weakness in the WBL. Really slaps the ball around, just like his women.

1-11 Cliff Jackson
Already spoke about Cliff, but what I really liked about what John told me is he has one elite pitch, one plus plus, and one plus. Baseball likes to use many pluses when tom bout prospects. He also has lots of movement on the ball, one scout told John he saw Cliff start a pitch 12 feet high and put it in the zone. Does throwing underhand count?

1-14 Jesse Haswell
Power bat. That's all. If he can figure out how to hit the ball regularly he will put fear in pitchers. Was seen launching balls 700 feet in a recent showcase at USC. Apparently one went on a nearby roof interrupting two young students' coitus.

1-15 Kerry Coorigan
Future backup catcher, and he's excited about it. Extremely good defender, noodle for an arm but hell of a mind. Only a year, maybe a year and a half away from backing up Vis.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Key West sends:
SS Kyle Riggall WBL

Amsterdam sends:
4-1 2042 draft

Another lottery pick trade. This one nets me another Zas with a different skill set. Amazing defender, will be putting reps in at 2B to get him up to speed there. He also killed me in the World Series last year, so it is nice that I won't have to see him again

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Rogers was him. I knew he was second round talent, but also knew doh would take him before my second round pick after you made the trade with him.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
It's all good. My list disappeared after I traded you my pick, which I expected. I'll get two good players out of that trade though I am certain.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It's all good. My list disappeared after I traded you my pick, which I expected. I'll get two good players out of that trade though I am certain.

I had a few guys who I was looking at for the 2nd round picks that aren't gone yet. A few I thought would be gone in the first round too

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Trade Time
Amsterdam sends
Dinosaur

Helsingborg sends
Soto
2nd

Ole Dino just didn't bring a good market after last years deadline run on pitchers. I got what I could for him and I'm actually pretty happy with it overall. Soto has elite movement and control, with his stuff being average. I don't really understand that given his worst pitch is graded plus by my scout. I'm guessing it has to do with him only throwing 90-92 so I'll just have to hope he increases that. If he can get to 93-95 or so I think that will jump. At worst he is a good #4 and at best could be a #2.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Always liked Soto. He was one of those international finds that you grow attached to.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead

Lawd [sup]7[/sup]

[sup]Man if I was in this league this trade alone would have kept me up till 2 am. [/sup]

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Lawd [sup]7[/sup]

[sup]Man if I was in this league this trade alone would have kept me up till 2 am. [/sup]

I actually should probably explain why I did it. I had a ton of assets and converted them to a great SP and great C who are both durable. Hopefully Rojas gets a kick in the ass because he is slow at learning how to hit, but if he does I'll be okay with it. I had to fleece myself to get that done, and I knew yankee would be better off if he had a ton of good players instead of two great players so I kept adding until he finally accepted.

Carrigan or whatever is a great backup to Vis when he gets there too, can spell him to keep him from getting hurt and will help the pitchers out.

I was sad to get rid of Sally, but Campbell.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah you got two potentially elite players. Rojas should be the best catcher in the league if he reaches potential (@jdlikewhoa mad). Campbell is a stud.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't think you got fleeced at all if you can keep those guys around. Vis is legit and Sally is proven.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
You dumb yankee, I fleeced myself on that one. No way I'd do that deal if I didn't already have a war chest. You just think you got fleeced because they all collectively slumped the 3 weeks after the trade, you set yourself up much better for a run next year.

osick87

Community Liaison
Sometimes you just have to trust yourself. Also if your patience is that thin for Colomo, I was going to punish you in a trade.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
I actually should probably explain why I did it. I had a ton of assets and converted them to a great SP and great C who are both durable. Hopefully Rojas gets a kick in the ass because he is slow at learning how to hit, but if he does I'll be okay with it. I had to fleece myself to get that done, and I knew yankee would be better off if he had a ton of good players instead of two great players so I kept adding until he finally accepted.

Carrigan or whatever is a great backup to Vis when he gets there too, can spell him to keep him from getting hurt and will help the pitchers out.

I was sad to get rid of Sally, but Campbell.

My first thought was, Here goes OU blowing up his team again. Pretty even trade though imo. A lot of the future for a lot of the now.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
My first thought was, Here goes OU blowing up his team again. Pretty even trade though imo. A lot of the future for a lot of the now.

If you peruse my team you'll find an abundance of talent in the OF and SP. Losing the 3 WBLers hurts this year but I wanted to get worse anyway. Plus I'm going to get great return for Ruiz when he gets shipped out. You should remember from your time in the league I try not to focus on one deal as a win or loss, I have 3-4 deals in mind that will end up netting what I need. There are only 15 players that you really need to win a shampship, if you can get those 15 to be dominant you'll have to be unlucky to lose.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Guided meditation thought of the day right there.

You need 4 SPs, 3 MRs (or my personal preference 5 SPs/2 MRs and move a SP to the pen for the playoffs, a lot harder to come by) and your 8 position players. We have a DH now so really 16. You'll end up with decent enough backups should one go down, which is why I'd rather have the 5 SP model.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Yeah, I get it. So that was the key to your philosophy all along. I always thought you overvalued the elite players, or rather undervalued the risks that come with them - development, injury, giving up baseball for golf - but there is no doubt when that team comes together it is hard to beat. I'm comparing this to my own philosophy, and I think I'm more of a value guy, trying to get the most for the least. Maybe I've always undervalued the elite.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
You really only need 3 SP if your offense is good enough. I think this is my year though. I don't have a weak spot in the lineup really except SS and both of my SS are all glove so that's ok. Next year I'll be short a few of these players.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah, I get it. So that was the key to your philosophy all along. I always thought you overvalued the elite players, or rather undervalued the risks that come with them - development, injury, giving up baseball for golf - but there is no doubt when that team comes together it is hard to beat. I'm comparing this to my own philosophy, and I think I'm more of a value guy, trying to get the most for the least. Maybe I've always undervalued the elite.
Please come back Wendell. It's time to expand the league!