• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Aspergers Clearinghouse and Miscellaneous Meaningless Bowl Thread

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
First year of the playoff was amazing.

So, the best playoff thus far had the least deserving team to make it (until this year) win it all. And what a memorable Rose Bowl! It sure was a doozy.

Great system, guys.

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I know I'll be telling my kids about the amazing national championship game that was a real thriller, with a final margin of 22 points. Hoo boy, were those the days!

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I mean, in the 8 CFP games played thus far, the average margin of victory has been 22.38 points. What a thrilling conclusion to the best regular season in sports!

-YTC

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
Well Whitey if the issue is parity then maybe they should just give the title to Bama every year. People give NASHNUL a lot of shit on here but I can say honestly I have no fucking clue who is going to win the Super Bowl year to year and that what's appealing to me about it.

College football is a joke. The traditions are stupid. It's got a leg up on gameday atmosphere and kewl creative offenses but the results are unlikable name brand national powers year to year being selected by people who want to further that interest. 16 team playoff, 10 automatic conference qualifiers, six at large bids. NCAA basketball tournament rules because of the grand possibility of anything going down, giving the little guys a shot. I'm sure Sun Belt champs would get their ass handed to them year to year but at least they aren't dicked into some shitty bowl in Montgomery, beating a directional Ohio school that proves absolutely nothing. Nicole Simpson can't rap.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Well Whitey if the issue is parity then maybe they should just give the title to Bama every year. People give NASHNUL a lot of shit on here but I can say honestly I have no fucking clue who is going to win the Super Bowl year to year and that what's appealing to me about it.

College football is a joke. The traditions are stupid. It's got a leg up on gameday atmosphere and kewl creative offenses but the results are unlikable name brand national powers year to year being selected by people who want to further that interest. 16 team playoff, 10 automatic conference qualifiers, six at large bids. NCAA basketball tournament rules because of the grand possibility of anything going down, giving the little guys a shot. I'm sure Sun Belt champs would get their ass handed to them year to year but at least they aren't dicked into some shitty bowl in Montgomery, beating a directional Ohio school that proves absolutely nothing. Nicole Simpson can't rap.

NCAA basketball has the worst regular season in all of sports. If you want to call something a joke, I'd probably start there. I mean, literally, a team could lose every single regular season game and still win the National Shampship.

And you bring up NASHNUL, but a team can lose over 50% of its' regular season games and still win a shampship.

The issue isn't parity, the issue is how do we preserve the best regular season in all of sports?

-YTC

Brick

The thing that kills me about the NFL, specifically the wild card spots, is so much of that is determined by games in the last couple of weeks when teams are either resting their players for the playoffs or have given up on their seasons. They're truly wild cards.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
My problem with college footbaw is the way it's set up makes us have to resort to using completely subjective terms like "meaningful regular season" or "deserving" to describe title contenders. Leave the subjectivity to gymnastics, figure skating, and UFC. If we can't come up with a way to take the subjectivity out of it, then don't even bother naming a champion because the system we have and every system that's come before it has been totally inadequate.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
196045e244265b267062136d7abaf888.jpg

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
NCAA basketball has the worst regular season in all of sports. If you want to call something a joke, I'd probably start there. I mean, literally, a team could lose every single regular season game and still win the National Shampship.

And you bring up NASHNUL, but a team can lose over 50% of its' regular season games and still win a shampship.

The issue isn't parity, the issue is how do we preserve the best regular season in all of sports?

-YTC
Playing 12 out of 120+ teams is hardly a large enough sample size to consider it the best regular season in sports, especially since most play one glorified money making easy win against a FCS team, and the mega conferences usually have unbalanced divisions, so a lot of teams might not even play the best teams in their own conference. NASHNUL isn't flawless but I can hardly say the team that ran the table and won the Super Bowl didn't deserve it.

Like silverwheels said, any system that relies on subjective measures and can basically just make up the criteria as they go along is inherently bogus.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I understand footbaw can't be played 4 days in a row like bball, a week between games is only fair. 16 teams would take 4 weeks, which is about as long as I think a college postseason should last

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Serious question: why stop at a 16 team playoff?

-YTC

Well if we are going to pretend that all 130-ish FBS teams are in the same league, then 32/130 would honestly be about the right size for proper playoff representation, assuming all the talent was distributed fairly equally through subleagues, but obviously that just points to what the real problem is... we don't really have one league, we've got a constantly shifting amalgamation of fuckshit. Even within the conferences, prestige teams are treated differently than other teams who objectively achieve the same benchmarks. It's the worst setup ever, so any playoff is doomed.

My ideal scenario would be if they reorganized to 8 conferences with 10 teams each, then each conference would play round robin. It would be a 12 team playoff with the 8 Shamps getting auto bids. Top 4 shamps record wise get bye weeks and the next 4 host home games against the 4 at large bids. Ur regular season would have SO MUCH MEANING and every team would also have access to the championship that depends on objective measures.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
Well if we are going to pretend that all 130-ish FBS teams are in the same league, then 32/130 would honestly be about the right size for proper playoff representation, assuming all the talent was distributed fairly equally through subleagues, but obviously that just points to what the real problem is... we don't really have one league, we've got a constantly shifting amalgamation of fuckshit. Even within the conferences, prestige teams are treated differently than other teams who objectively achieve the same benchmarks. It's the worst setup ever, so any playoff is doomed.

My ideal scenario would be if they reorganized to 8 conferences with 10 teams each, then each conference would play round robin. It would be a 12 team playoff with the 8 Shamps getting auto bids. Top 4 shamps record wise get bye weeks and the next 4 host home games against the 4 at large bids. Ur regular season would have SO MUCH MEANING and every team would also have access to the championship that depends on objective measures.

I'd be cool with this too. No system is perfect, but to me, college football is the worst to me.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Set up the 8 conferences roughly geographically, and go do the same for all other levels so that you can set up a proper promotion/relegation system, which really is the only way to handle the constantly shifting environment that is college sports. Worst 12 teams get relegated and replaced by playoff teams from the lower division who get promoted!

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I love the relegation/promotion model, so we agree there. However, how do you seed the teams to see who gets the bye? More subjectivity? Cunnilingus Rice?

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni

So, exactly like the NASHNUL? Where teams .500 or below routinely make the postseason?

-YTC

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
So, exactly like the NASHNUL? Where teams .500 or below routinely make the postseason?

-YTC

I think ur bad at math, don't be an idiot! 12/32 teams is WAY different than 12/80 teams making the playoffs. The key to this is wholesale reorganization is that the round robin format guarantees conference champions cannot mathematically be allowed to suck. There is no way a conference shamp can finish below .500 in a round robin format... I'm not even sure it would be possible to get an at large that was sub .500 unless the trog voters decided that sub .500 BAMMER needed to be an at large team, but that's the danger of at large bids left to idiot subjective voters!

The NFL has 12/32 teams make the playoffs and it rarely happens that a .500 team makes it, and that's only because division champs are picked from 4 teams. This would be 12 teams out of 80, with the conference champs being picked as the best of 10 teams. In a 10 team conference with round robin champ, a losing record shamp simply can't happen, you've got 9 games against conference foes, so even if half the league finished 5-4 and the other half finished 4-5, someone would have a better out of conference record as the tie breaker! (I'd only have 1 OOC game in this format, btw each team would play 10 total games)

Last edited:

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I think ur bad at math, don't be an idiot! 12/32 teams is WAY different than 12/80 teams making the playoffs. The key to this is wholesale reorganization is that the round robin format guarantees conference champions cannot mathematically be allowed to suck. There is no way a conference shamp can finish below .500 in a round robin format... I'm not even sure it would be possible to get an at large that was sub .500 unless the trog voters decided that sub .500 BAMMER needed to be an at large team, but that's the danger of at large bids left to idiot subjective voters!

The NFL has 12/32 teams make the playoffs and it rarely happens that a .500 team makes it, and that's only because division champs are picked from 4 teams. This would be 12 teams out of 80, with the conference champs being picked as the best of 10 teams. In a 10 team conference with round robin champ, a losing record shamp simply can't happen, you've got 9 games against conference foes, so even if half the league finished 5-4 and the other half finished 4-5, someone would have a better out of conference record as the tie breaker! (I'd only have 1 OOC game in this format, btw each team would play 10 total games)

This round robin format does nothing of the kind and you know it.

A team could easily win a conference with a 6-3 record, and finish 0-3 in the non-conference. Guess what that record equates to? I'm pretty bad at math, so I'll let you confirm whether or not that would be a .500 record.

-YTC

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
They can go 0-3 out of conference with only a single OOC game? 10 regular season games is all we'd play in my format of 80 teams, because nobody gets to play fuckshit SW STate university anymore.

Furthermore, you could just use total record to decide the conference shamp, (and conference record as first tie breaker) if that's ur hangup!

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
did not see the addendum for 1 OOC game. Ma'apologies.

So, your method of improving CFB involves reducing the greatest thing about the sport, the regular season?

-YTC

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Are you seriously arguing that the 3 cupcake games everyone plays should stay after all the work put in to my hypothetical alternate sane reality where we only have 80 FBS teams? Beating the shit out of Slippery Rock U is what you can't have me take away from ur Penn State experience?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I don't even know how I got sucked into this argument anyway, I already agree with you about playoffs, given the fact that don't live in the sane reality (Donald Trump is President and @TonyGin&Juice and @NML have now combined to win 3 World Series before the riggers have even gone to the series!). Any College Footbaw Playoff in this reality is destined to suck ass, so lets just go back to having some good ol' fashioned bowl games and rape, then have the AP and the Tuscaloosa Times vote on the shampion after the season.

I mean if we did live in the sane reality, my format would be pretty cool, I think. But we don't, so it sucks.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Are you seriously arguing that the 3 cupcake games everyone plays should stay after all the work put in to my hypothetical alternate sane reality where we only have 80 FBS teams? Beating the shit out of Slippery Rock U is what you can't have me take away from ur Penn State experience?

Unless Slippery Rock U is one of the 80 FBS teams. Then I'd love to see it.

I'd keep the OOC games, but they have to be against the other 80 FBS teams. I, for one, enjoy the cool OOC games that we occasionally get.

-YTC

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'd be ok with up to 3 OOC games in hypothetical land, but then total record would have to be used to determine conference shamp, and that kind of defeats the INTENSITY of the conference regular season.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
I don't even know how I got sucked into this argument anyway, I already agree with you about playoffs, given the fact that don't live in the sane reality (Donald Trump is President and @TonyGin&Juice and @NML have now combined to win 3 World Series before the riggers have even gone to the series!). Any College Footbaw Playoff in this reality is destined to suck ass, so lets just go back to having some good ol' fashioned bowl games and rape, then have the AP and the Tuscaloosa Times vote on the shampion after the season.

I mean if we did live in the sane reality, my format would be pretty cool, I think. But we don't, so it sucks.

I was having a bad day until I read how absolutely SHOOK @Travis7401 @Travis7401SUCKSDICK still is over my two WS wins.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
On the reel, though, I like Travis' idea in general. Fuck these geographically nonsensical superconferences. Make them smaller and more regional so everyone has to play everyone and it's easier for fans to go to away games. The Big 12 has done a lot of dumb things (especially the forthcoming shampship game rematch), but round robin for a 10-team conference is not one of them. Once the Pac-10 went to round robin before it expanded it was perfect. Five pairs of intense, geographically proximate rivalries and round robin? Doesn't get much better than that.

And we can still just give the trophy to Saban every year done deal.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
pavel's signature is so distracting