• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Gooksta's 2044 WBL Draft Grades

Gooksta

Ill do this by team, so Ill wait till the first round is over to start.. Ill try to do one or two teams a night..

Ill try to make em short and sweet..

all these grades are based off of KW's Scouts grades..
I have weighted certain Characteristics heavier than others based off what I am looking for at a position, and certain things that I have noticed - or "assume" help players get to full potential or even beyond full potential. I am not saying these findings are fact. I havent even broken them down to prove it (even though I probably could.. even though that would take ALOT of time to break down). these are just observations i have made.. then I put all of those things together in weighted formula and it gives a number for a player - the highest rated players should allegedly fit what type of players i want Key West to have.. so my grades will be based off those numbers.. and could totally be different from what type of player you are looking for.. so I will assume some will disagree with some of my comments

I will give a basic description of the player - height weight, etc - blah blah
i will give a "floor" for the player and a "ceiling"

so a players "floor" is what I expect that player to be at minimum - example
"Floor - high" - WBL player - likely starter
"Floor - Low" - non WBL player - minor league filler

Ceiling is what he can "Possibly" be - if everything goes right
"Ceiling - "High" - WBL Starter/All Star level player
"Ceiling - "Low" - Bust - non WBL player - minor league player

ill give on or two strengths and one or two weakness's
if he is rated highly overall or rated highly at his position, like top 5 overall player or top 10 at his position, Ill add that on there too

so the next post, will be a player breakdown of teams 1st round pick/s
Ill do from best to worst (worst team should technically have the first pick, so it would the best for last - but since picks are traded it wont actually end up like that) based off record.. So Amsterdam will be my first team I breakdown after the first round is done

Gooksta

fuck it, Ill do one right now
PICK 1-1
Amsterdam Tulips
CF Jean Luc "Razor" Lopez
Height 6'1" - 175 Lbs - Age 17

Floor - Low - could be a bust/minor leaguer - huge risk for his 9 million dollar signing bonus request - ultra aggressive approach at the plate, there isnt a pitch he doesnt think he can hit. Could be an issue at higher levels

Ceiling - Decent - good athletic kid, can run and is rangey in center, covers alot of ground.. good strong contact hitter who should fill out to be a possible 15-20 hr guy. could be serviceable starter - maybe an all star - he has the tools you look for

Pros - high contact hitter, very athletic - runs well, is a HUGE baserunning threat whenever on base and can make enough plays in CF, solid arm for a CF'er - 4th ranked CF overall for this draft

Cons - very raw with his approach at the plate, lacks plate discipline, doesnt work counts, and rumors is he doesnt work at his game enough to improve. Maturity issues are a concern

OVERALL: See this pick as a reach, more risk than reward.. he has too many questions and not enough answers, I personally dont see him hitting his ceiling and becoming more of a bench bat/platoon player. Talent isnt the issue, it will be if he is able to put it all together to put up a career worth of being the first pick. I give this pick a C-

Pick 1-2
Berlin Bomber Bears
OF - Jon "Gremlin" Funk
6'5" - 210 Lbs - Age 18

Floor - Decent: See Funk at least being a 4th OF type, or power bat off the bench. His bat should make him a useful member of a ball Club. Big Hulking kid who is a lil stiff around the hips and heavy feet. Isn't the most nimble around the bases. See him mostly being a DH or 1B/LF'er, as he is weak defensively. His bat will play and it will have to be good because its the only thing that will carry him to the bigs.

Ceiling-High:WBL Starter/Possible All Star: Could be an impact power bat that anchors a middle of the lineup. Easy Power, 30 HR's wont be an issue for this kid. Funk seems to have an advanced approach for a high school kid. Willing to wait for his pitch, will chase sometimes when behind in the count and can get frustrated if pitchers stay away but he seems to have a good plan at the dish and with experience that should develop even more.

Pros: Hitting will be this kids calling card, and hit for big power! His bat is so good currently have him ranked as the 4th best player overall in this draft

Cons: He isnt athletic, I think my grandmother in the rain can run faster than this kid. he is gonna be a station to station runner. if he gets walked, I dont think 2 base hits are gonna be enough to score him. Defensively he isnt much better, LF would be a circus for him, so DH or 1B are really gonna be the only options for him in my opinion.

Overall: I like this kids chances, he seems like a natural with the bat in his hands. I give this pick a B, His baserunning and defensive skills prevent him from getting an A.
2044 Draft
Buenos Aires Draft
Pick 1-3
Rob White- Catcher
6'0" - 195 Lbs -Age 20

Floor - Decent: White kinda is average all around, but good enough to be at least a backup catcher, doesnt do any one thing well and doesnt really do anything badly.

Ceiling-Decent: Dont think his Ceiling is much different from his floor. Could possibly be a starter if his hitting improves, he has played some 1B with Maryland so thats an option and gives some added Flexibility. Guy will be an average catcher.. has an OK eye at the plate, has OK discipline.He is OK behind the dish and is OK at throwing baserunners out.

Pros: Doesnt have an overwhelming weakness

Cons: Doesnt have an overwhelming strength

Overall: I dont really like this pick at 3. think for a top 3 pick you want an impact player or at least some possibility of Impact upside. While White is steady he definitely isnt worth a 3rd overall pick and would of mostly been available in the mid to late 1st. Some seem to think he will become a .300 hitter with 15-20 HR power, I am not seeing it. Give this pick a D+ for lack of overall value.

2044 Draft
Dublin Distillers Draft
Pick 1-4
Nathan Harrison - Outfielder
6'0" - 180 Lbs -Age 22

Floor - High: Nathan has a good floor seeing him being a starter somewhere. Guy is just glides out there and has amazing instincts.

Ceiling-Decent: Decent is somewhat deceiving here. Think he could make an All-Star game or two but I dont think he will be some all world game changer. That shouldnt take away from Harrison being a very VERY solid player. see him hitting around .280 with 15-25 HR's.

Pros: Guy is an Average OF'er.. has an average arm. He has maybe above average speed, but he just has amazing instincts. Student of the game and plays above his tools because of it. Kid wont allow himself to fail. Rumor is the Owner of the Distillers didn't just love Harrison, he wanted to adopt him! Have him as the best overall player in the draft.

Cons: He got a B+ in Thermodynamics.

Overall: Harrison just gets it! Good Athlete and a hard worker. Kid is what you want in a high draft pick. Give this pick an A.

2044 Draft
Baton Rouge Crawdads Draft
Pick 1-5
OF Bill Kirby - Outfielder
6'1" - 170 Lbs -Age 19

Floor - High: Kirby is most likely to be and everyday player in the UBL. good all round game and a plus power bat potential makes this kid very valuable.

Ceiling-High: Have him rated as the 2nd best CF in the class and 6th player overall and its mostly because of that bat. Possible Perennial All star, Plus power projection, he could be 30-40 HR guy. weather he becomes that is the great debate.

Pros: Kirby knows what he is doing at the plate. has a good approach and will take walks, so he wont strikeout a ton. Not the fastest guy, but a headsy baserunner, if the pitcher falls asleep Kirby can swipe a bag or two. I think his bat eventually moves him LF, but he can more than handle CF if need be. Arm is average, but it wont hurt you out there

Cons: High School kids are mostly projection. so it always come down to can he get to where everyone seems to have him projected. I like this kids chances.

Overall: Kirby Can hit and is athletic enough to play center. Huge upside. Middle of the lineup bat and middle of the field Defender. Love the pick - A

2044 Draft
Helsingborg Hammers Draft
Pick 1-7
SS Gregory Vaughn - Outfielder
6'1" - 180 Lbs -Age 22

Floor - Decent: Vaughan's Glove and athleticism makes him a UBL player alone. he is one of the safest picks in the draft.

Ceiling-High: if Vaughan develops that bat, he is a perennial all star at short. see a trophy case full of Defensive Wizard awards in his future.

Pros: Slick fielding SS and he isnt gonna have problems staying there. watching him turn double plays is like poetry in motion and he has a very good strong arm. Makes off balance throws from deep in the hole look almost too easy. Good base runner also, not a blazer but a smart headsy baserunner, anticipates things well.

Cons: The question in his game is his bat. he chases bad pitches down in the dirt. he really needs to clean that up get to that next level. his plate discipline will be the difference between him hitting .240 or .270 type hitter. he has decent size and can grow into 15-20 HR's/year as he gets older.

Overall: A Slick fielding SS with some projection with his bat. Not sure too many teams wouldnt jump at the chance to have that. have him as the 2nd best prospect because he is just such a safe pick. Give this pick an A

2044 Draft
Kabul Bulls Draft
Pick 1-8
CL Billy Humphrey - Pitcher
6'1" - 190 Lbs -Age 21

Floor - High: Humphrey is a no doubt back end of the Bullpen type pitcher. End of discussion

Ceiling-High: Will rack up saves upon saves. Guy is just filthy. had 122 K's in 85 2/3 IP for the Gophers last year.

Pros: 2 Seamer with Control and a put away slider that is an absolute frisbee. Guy can get both pitches up over 95+. No one can match his stuff.

Cons: uhh, he hasnt hit 100 mph on the gun... "yet"

Overall: Absolutely Love Humphrey! Absolutely HATE taking him at pick 8 in the first round. If he was a starter that you wanted to fast track and maybe use him in bullpen early, ok I can see it. Humphrey is really just a closer. so taking him here is a stretch in my opinion, especially when you have other pitchers like Sargent on the board. Give this pick a C+

2044 Draft
Amsterdam Tulips Draft
Pick 1-9
SP Peadar Sargant - Pitcher
5'10" - 165 Lbs -Age 17

Floor - Decent: Sargant at worst is a reliever, maybe back-end setup guy maybe even a serviceable closer

Ceiling-High: #2 starter is his ceiling. Sargant is a little tricky to read. Not sure what he is yet.. he will probably need another pitch to be a starter or he is just a relief pitcher

Pros: He has great stuff. his bite on his 2 seamer is very sharp. good snap to it. and he also has a hard biting slider to go with it.

Cons: He is gonna need a third pitch to be a starter and even if he does, he is 5'10" 165 lbs. Not sure he will have the frame to endure being a starting pitcher so you are essentially taking a reliever this high.

Overall: listed as the #1 "Starter" on my board, if he even becomes that but the kid has the Talent, no question. Another high school kid with a high ceiling. Amsterdam is at least sticking to their BOOM or BUST strategy. With 2 picks I would personally like to of seen a safe pick for Amsterdam with their other first round pick to leverage one of these high risk H.S Kids, but as the saying goes, "In order to win big you need to be willing to lose big". All that being said, give this pick a Solid
2044 Draft
Australia All Whites Draft
Pick 1-10
OF Brandon Marsh - Outfield
6'0" - 175 Lbs -Age 20

Floor - Decent: Marsh's Floor is decent. At least he will be a 4th OF/defensive replacement.

Ceiling-Decent: Probably good enough to start on most clubs. Good athlete who can go get it in the Outfield

Pros: Above Average ability in the Outfield, good speed to cover a lot of ground. Can play all 3 OF spots if you need him too, not sure he has the arm for right though. should only play there in a pinch

Cons: Even with his good speed he is below average on the base paths. doesnt do things that should be routine. His bat Seems fringey to me. his approach and discipline are decent so with some work he could get better. I Currently see a .260 ish hitter with around 10-15 HRs.

Overall: I am back and forth with this kid. Some days he looks great and others its like he just started playing baseball that day, regardless he has talent and seems to work hard. hopefully he can put it together. Give this pick a C+

2044 Draft
Buenos Aires Gauchos Draft
Pick 1-15
Creedon Jobson - Outfielder
6'0" - 165 Lbs -Age 18

Floor - Low: Creedon's floor is a below average hitter who has below average plate discipline, but has good pop when he cant make contact. Strikesout more than I would like. Floor wise he is a minor league filler

Ceiling-Decent: If he can improve his plate Discipline to take advantage of his extra base power he has a shot to be serviceable Starter.

Pros: Good Fielder who can cover some ground. his below average arm will Limit him to Center or Left as he progresses. Seems to hit balls hard and can fill out to have 15-20 HR's a year, shows decent pop

Cons: He has decent speed but isnt a good base runner. Makes bad decisions on the basepaths and isnt very efficient when coming to stolen bases. he has too much swing and miss and swings at too many pitches outside the strike zone, that will have to improve for him to have a shot at the bigs, but him putting in the work is a concern.

Overall: At 15 I dont love the pick, but I dont hate the pick. he will be a project, give this pick a C

2044 Draft
Pick 1-16
Fjodor Mayakovsky - Outfielder
5'10" - 170 Lbs -Age 19

Floor - Low: Minor league Filler. Doesnt seem to have instincts and needs to be constantly coached up.

Ceiling-Decent: Kid is a pretty decent athlete, but just seems lost out on the diamond at times - if he can refine his hitting approach he could be a decent .260-.270-ish hitter.

Pros: Athletic Kid. Can run well enough to swipe some bags for you, fast enough to beat out some drag bunts. Think that is the best part of his game is his bunting ability. Sac bunt or drag bunt for hit, this kid has a good feel for that. Good Fielder. good enough to play all 3 OF spots.

Cons: think his make or break is his plate discipline and hitting approach, if he can get that shored up, he can be productive enough to start in the bigs.

Overall: I personally Like Mayakovsky a little more than Jobson, but both are about the same. Give this pick a C

Last edited:

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
This is fantastic. Immersion +++++

PS - @OU11, delete this post and lock this thread so only @Gooksta can update it. Otherwise we're all going to kludge it up with argument.

Gooksta

I want the arguments.. conversations will be interesting.. or maybe just start a discussion thread about it.. i dont care either way

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Yeah, but I don't want you getting derailed with argument here. I want moar. How do you see the other 1st rounders so far?

Gooksta

not feeling it tonight. gonna go to bed early tonight.. will hopefully get some done tomorrow

Gooksta

2044 Draft
Buenos Aires Draft
Pick 1-3
Rob White- Catcher
6'0" - 195 Lbs -Age 20

Floor - Decent: White kinda is average all around, but good enough to be at least a backup catcher, doesnt do any one thing well and doesnt really do anything badly.

Ceiling-Decent: Dont think his Ceiling is much different from his floor. Could possibly be a starter if his hitting improves, he has played some 1B with Maryland so thats an option and gives some added Flexibility. Guy will be an average catcher.. has an OK eye at the plate, has OK discipline.He is OK behind the dish and is OK at throwing baserunners out.

Pros: Doesnt have an overwhelming weakness

Cons: Doesnt have an overwhelming strength

Overall: I dont really like this pick at 3. think for a top 3 pick you want an impact player or at least some possibility of Impact upside. While White is steady he definitely isnt worth a 3rd overall pick and would of mostly been available in the mid to late 1st. Some seem to think he will become a .300 hitter with 15-20 HR power, I am not seeing it. Give this pick a D+ for lack of overall value.

2044 Draft
Pick 1-15
Creedon Jobson - Outfielder
6'0" - 165 Lbs -Age 18

Floor - Low: Creedon's floor is a below average hitter who has below average plate discipline, but has good pop when he cant make contact. Strikesout more than I would like. Floor wise he is a minor league filler

Ceiling-Decent: If he can improve his plate Discipline to take advantage of his extra base power he has a shot to be serviceable Starter.

Pros: Good Fielder who can cover some ground. his below average arm will Limit him to Center or Left as he progresses. Seems to hit balls hard and can fill out to have 15-20 HR's a year, shows decent pop

Cons: He has decent speed but isnt a good base runner. Makes bad decisions on the basepaths and isnt very efficient when coming to stolen bases. he has too much swing and miss and swings at too many pitches outside the strike zone, that will have to improve for him to have a shot at the bigs, but him putting in the work is a concern.

Overall: At 15 I dont love the pick, but I dont hate the pick. he will be a project, give this pick a C

2044 Draft
Pick 1-16
Fjodor Mayakovsky - Outfielder
5'10" - 170 Lbs -Age 19

Floor - Low: Minor league Filler. Doesnt seem to have instincts and needs to be constantly coached up.

Ceiling-Decent: Kid is a pretty decent athlete, but just seems lost out on the diamond at times - if he can refine his hitting approach he could be a decent .260-.270-ish hitter.

Pros: Athletic Kid. Can run well enough to swipe some bags for you, fast enough to beat out some drag bunts. Think that is the best part of his game is his bunting ability. Sac bunt or drag bunt for hit, this kid has a good feel for that. Good Fielder. good enough to play all 3 OF spots.

Cons: think his make or break is his plate discipline and hitting approach, if he can get that shored up, he can be productive enough to start in the bigs.

Overall: I personally Like Mayakovsky a little more than Jobson, but both are about the same. Give this pick a C

Last edited:

osick87

Community Liaison
bbbls.gif

Gooksta

Osick, I am going with my scouts ratings.. OSA likes him alot.. so thats why the breakdown for white is a low grade.. like that it may add a little controversy too.

osick87

Community Liaison
It's all good. Just curious who was a better value at that point? Probably Sargant?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Because he just glides out there, has amazing instincts, is a student of the game, Don Drain wanted to adopt him, and Gooksta had him as the highest rated player in the draft? His only con was a B+ in Thermodynamics, WOW.

Not ur best reading comprehension day Qual.

Also because I'm Number One Chief Scout Rad?

Edit: @Reel for Hip Hop archivist post.

Last edited:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Decent, decent, average, average. Those are the pros... Definitely words to describe an A+ #4 overall pick :thumbsup:

I actually like Harrison a lot and think he was a good pick. Just thought it was a funny review.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think trying to guess the grade after reading the description is my favorite part. I guessed B for Pear's guy. I knew Razor was going to be a C, was surprised both BA guys were C's

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Razor was a C-. I think gooksta just couldnt give #1 overall a D. BA got a D+ on White too. These are definitely interesting. I'll probably get a C.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Razor was a C-. I think gooksta just couldnt give #1 overall a D. BA got a D+ on White too. These are definitely interesting. I'll probably get a C.

White is definitely not a D, gook just goin off intangibles on that one. He hit great in college too, that was an A pick for me.

So far I'd go

Razor - C
Funk - A+
White - A
Harrison - C (just don't like him as much as you'll)
Kirby - B+
McGill - A
Vaughn - A
Humphrey - C
Wolfman - D (B if I can sign him)
Marsh - B
Soed - A
Dato - B
Johnston - D
Allen - A
Jobson - B
Maya - B

Gooksta

this is entertaining. this thread will be pretty entertaining after 2 or 3 years.. Illl be laughed at alot more I think. lulz

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
If you're factoring in signing bonus costs into your draft selections we're taking different approaches.

Do you even spreadsheet bro?
We ain't poors like the Irish. I don't factor them in at all. Just love watching Dublin's staff get drunk and set $6,500,000 of fire.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Razor - A-
Funk - A+
White - B-
Harrison - B
Kirby - A
McGill - A
Vaughn - B
Humphrey - D
Wolfman - A+
Marsh - B
Soed - A
Dato - C
Johnston - D (Who?)
Allen - A+
Jobson - B
Maya - A

Gooksta

Razor - A-
Funk - A+
White - B-
Harrison - B
Kirby - A
McGill - A
Vaughn - B
Humphrey - D
Wolfman - A+
Marsh - B
Soed - A
Dato - C
Johnston - D (Who?)
Allen - A+
Jobson - B
Maya - A
Dont be hatin on Dato and Johnston son!!