• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

joshuahuskers's FM 14 Attempt (Everton & Maybe Scotland)

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Well I am on the bandwagon. I will probably end this one at some point and go with a bigger challenge once I get things down a little bit more. I am currently at Everton. We are 1-2-1 through our first four friendlies. Here is my team.

lcnc8.png

I signed Victor Sanchez as I decided to run a 4-2-3-1 as I had three (actually four) really good attacking midfielders, and had almost no options at defensive mid. I probably overpaid for him ($7.25M), but I am new at this and still trying to get things down. I now realize that my only two true strikers are loans (I guess Mirallas could fit that role), so that's the next position I'd like to address. I do have two pretty good striker prospects on my U21 team, but not sure if they will be ready by next season, and it's always good to have depth there.

Attachments

• Everton team.png
    Everton team.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 16

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Oh, I am also currently the manager of the Scottish National Team, but may resign to focus on Everton until I get the hang of things.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Current Tactics. I will work on developing more as things go on. I am currently using possession/countering tactics and emphasizing short passing and control. I think I have to do this because we are not yet familiar with the 4-2-3-1, so we are really botching things if we are not conservative:

1212vrb.png

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
This defensive mid, who I tried to get on a transfer (but had no interest in joining my team, apparently) for much cheaper than Victor Sanchez, just got tansferred to play in Greece for $1M. Guess he wants to play in Greece but not the EPL?

mu7gyb.png

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Our next game is against the MLS All Stars in Houston. A sell-out crowd is expected, and I have to do a presser before the game. Also this will be our first game on TV. How Exciting!

Lineups for the game. It'll be interesting playing against some players I actually know!

2lizq08.png

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
1-0 Victory vs. the MLS all-stars! Apparently this game is a big deal and there is a trophy and everything...who knew? I can't figure out to upload extended highlights like some of you have done (some tips, maybe?), but here is the goal in the 83rd minute to win it:

We had many changes, mostly in the first half, and we really dominated the game. It was great to get the break through!

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Found a 29 year old striker type player on my U21 team (how does that work? Are you allowed a certain number of "overs" on your U21?) who looked to be ready for the senior squad, at least considering my only two strikers are loans. Anyway, pulled him up to the senior squad, and I'm experimenting with a 4-4-2 for the next friendly:

5e7rj7.png

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
4-4-2 yielded some interesting results. 4-3 win vs. a 3rd (or maybe 4th?) tier German team. Despite the higher goal total, 1 was a penalty and 1 was a free-kick. The defense was pitiful (yet my defenders looked "confused" when I ripped them at halftime and again after the game). We produced many more offensive opportunities with the 4-2-3-1, and I was even having 3 of my 4 midfielders assigned to "attack" in the 4-4-2 this game. I don't know why my back line played so poorly, maybe they weren't getting enough help from the mid-field. Like I have noted, I'm a rookie to this.

Bottom line, I think I am going to stick with the 4-2-3-1 for now - we got more chances in that formation, we just converted more out of this formation. And the defense was much better in the 4-2-3-1.

Here are the goals from this match. Also a funny note, the first half saw six goals scored, yet only one minute of stoppage time was added. The second half had only one goal, but three minutes of stoppage time were added.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Also, as far as the roster goes, my next move is to be to get a solid young defender. My first team defenders are all getting up there in age.

Milo

4th tier Germany > MLS

Like the idea of a 4-2-3-1. Baines is(should be?) a really good left-back going forward. With your big forwards, would be nice if you can get him whipping in crosses.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Yeah, it seems to be suited pretty well for us. I picked it because I have a good number of really solid attacking mids.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
3-0 win over Sporting in the next friendly. After about 20-25 of really getting dominated, I made some tactical tweaks that (I would like to think anyway) gave us a spark. Steven Pienaar man of the match with 2 goals and an assist. Both of his goals were assisted by Mirallis, really a thing of beauty, the first was particularly pretty:

Update on my roster situation, I think I am going to wait until next year's transfer window and pursue a good young defender. I have wasted most of my transfer budget this year on overpaying for Victor Sanchez (live and learn), and I'm not sure I really want to sell anyone yet as I am still trying to figure out exactly what everyone's role will be.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
So my captain (Jagielka) just talked to me and said he wants to go to a bigger club. I told him that we will qualify for the EURO cup (I assume that's EUFA, right?! The tier after champions league? Hope I didn't get in over my head). So if we don't qualify for that, he said he's going to walk at season's end. All the more reason to bring in a young defender.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Finished off the pre-season friendlies with a 3-1 win. The goal conceded was quite pitiful, see for yourself:

Next up is a friendly for Scotland vs. Peru. We have a couple of WCQs coming up. I honestly haven't looked much at the national team yet, so it should be interesting!

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Roster for the friendly vs. Peru. Players and tactics will likely change in the future - we have some key guys injured and unfit. This layout I think maximizes our players for the moment. I'm really, really scared about my back line:

243hn2u.png

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
I have been notified Pienaar has been injured in training. DUBTF I can give him injections and try to make him push through, but he could be out 3 weeks. Without the injections he is out two weeks. I'm going with the two weeks, as my attacking midfield is somewhat deep. Still, this could be a big loss for our first few EPL matches and Pienaar is a key member of our attack.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Jagielka wants a transfer, and didn't even let me play this season out to see if we qualify for the EURO cup. The hell is going on here? I am saying no way.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Lost the friendly to Peru, 2-1. Not a terrible loss since they are #22 in the world, but it was at home, so that's tough. As was the case in the first games with Everton, my team was put off by my lack of credibility and didn't really try. WCQs in a couple weeks.

But first, EPL kicks off next against Hull. We are without Pienaar. I have removed Jagielka as captain (sure he's pissed) since he doesn't want to be here anymore and made Baines my captain.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Alright, well here is an update. I know my dynasty isn't as detailed as the other FM ones SORRY!

Anyway, I've been messing around with the 4-4-2 some more, as well as the 4-4-3. I have basically been running a conservative offense (pass shorter, less risky passes, maintain possession, etc.) since my guys were making a lot of dumb passes early on and losing the ball, presumably because we were not very familiar with our tactics. I am starting to open things up a bit more, playing an attacking style when appropriate. For example, in the Capital One Cup match against Barnsley, I noticed they gave up a lot of goals in the first 15 minutes, and struggled against a 4-4-2. I brought out my 4-4-2 and decided to go with "attacking" and set some of the team and individual instructions to be more attacking and free to start the game. The result: A goal in the 13'. We added another one in the 70th for a 2-0 victory.

Next up: EPL continues with a Match vs. Arsenal. The WCQs get going. We have matches vs. FYR Macedonia and Serbia this round.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Lost to Arsenal 2-0. Gave up two goals in the first six minutes, including a penalty. Had two goals disallowed due to offsides. I feel like I will never win an EPL match.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Sorry. Meant a 4-3-3. Mistype. But at this point I need an extra player on the field. I screwed around with two made up formations during WCQs, and lost 5-0 and 5-2. I am really lost and don't know what to do at this point. I did play a 4-4-2 the second half of the second WCQ match, and went 2-2 in that half. Maybe I will go to a "real" formation going forward. Still have a chance to get to the playoff stage, but have to get results in the final two matches.

On the EPL side, I've lost again 2-1 to Chelsea. Everytime I say anything my club "switches off" because they feel I am not credible. I don't know. I feel like I don't know enough about tactics to be even remotely effective in this game.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Well basically he has played like crap ever since we had our little talk and I took away his captaincy. I think him and Leighton Baines are BFFs though, because I made Baines the captain and he immediately started to play like crap as well. The transfer window is now closed, but I plan to sell Jagielka in in the summer window and bring in a different defender.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Well, we had a week off between the Chelsea loss (in which we were dominated) and a match at home against West Brom (should be winnable). I used the time to hold a team meeting and calmly tell the team that we've been struggling lately, but I believe that we can still put it together. Leighton Baines showed some god damn leadership for the first time since I made him captain, stepping up and saying that I was right, we haven't played well lately and he was a big reason why. Everyone sang Kum-Bah-Yah and got happier, except that bitch Jagielka, who was sulking in the corner and had no reaction.

I left the cancer Jagielka off the roster for the West Brom match, as I've been pleased with how my young (only 19!) defender John Stones has been playing lately when thrust into duty because of Jagielka's menstrual cycle.

Anywho, West Brom scored first around the 22nd minute...here we go again. Naismith Equalized on a great cross from Pienaar in the 27th minute! And it only got better as we were awarded a penalty in the 37th minute...Baines with a chance to redeem himself for his crappy play lately, and show the team WE CAN DO THIS. And the captain misses it wide left of the net. seriously? How do you miss a penalty wide?

Ugh. Anyway, we go to 1-1 at halftime, and I am actually a little happy despite the missed penalty. I tell Baines he's been unlucky and he cheers up a little. I tell everyone else WE CAN STILL WIN and most everyone is feeling better, except my midfield and Lukaku (striker) who seemed to switch off. I seriously consider subbing Lukaku out at halftime as he had a bad match rating and had been called offside about a half dozen times in the first half. However, I keep him in, based on instinct at the fact that despite our struggles, his match ratings have actually been quite high lately.

Turns out, it was the right call. He scores his first goal of the season in the 58th minute, on a ball played in well in the center by Naismith. 2-1. Could we actually win this? We move to a defensive mentality..time to turtle! Things are going well. Baines is even awarded another penalty in the 74th minute, and this time he TOTALLY REDEEMS HIMSELF and converts it. 3-1 and we go into the major turtle mode (forget what it's called), and hang on for a 3-1 win. FINALLY THE BREAK THROUGH!!

Yes, I know it was against a team we really should be beating, but after starting 0-4-0, it was nice to get one in the win column. We're now up to 16th, out of relegation position (for now). I seem to play better when my "three yards and a cloud" offense (short passing, retain possession, play out of defense, less risky passes) is used. Whatever works.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Too bad it won't last long. We actually have a puncher's chace against Sunderland in the Capital One Cup (next match), but the next EPL game is against Man City (time to turtle and hope for a 0-0 draw - what I should have done vs. Chelsea).

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Won the Capital One cup Match 4-3 after going down 2-0 very early.

Then beat Man City 2-1, really unbelievable, they dominated possession 60/40, and had twice the shots we did, but the ones in the back of the net are all that count. I decided to go attacking early, and we got a goal in the 6th minute on a set piece. After reverting to a more conservative approach, we got scored on in the 12th, so I went back to aggressive. Got a goal in the 22nd minute, went with my "normal" approach until about the 75th minute, got defensive again and we closed it out. Huge win, because it seems like some of our supporters were getting a little restless with my lack of success. Pienaar has been a beast lately, a goal and an assist vs. Man City to boot.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Well, I went 3-1-1 in my last five games...before a 5-1 trouncing against liverpool. We did have three key players out with injuries. However, the board met with me and said basically I'm getting fired if we don't win the next match. I might be re-booting this thing earlier than I thought.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
The good news is we are through to the quarter finals of the capital one cup, and we drew a Championship team, so chances of making it through to the Semis are quite good, if I survive until the quarterfinal match in December.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
4-1 win over Sunderland has saved my bacon for now. Here is the table after 11 games:

fxzcl1.png

Honestly, after staring 0-0-4 we have done QUITE WELL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, BOARD. We're 4-1-2 in the last seven. Obviously a 5-1 drubbing by Liverpool isn't great. All our losses have come against teams in the Top 11 of the table (no losses to really bad teams), and we've qualified for the quarters of the Capital One Cup, and have a great shot to get through to the Semis. I know there's a lot of work to do in order to qualify for Eurpo, but after an 0-0-4 start, I would say we've done a nice job of turning things around...

Also, there's a huge log jam in the middle of the table, only 5 points between 5th and 15th. Lots of opportunity to move up.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Also, I am still the corch of Scotland. After giving up 20 goals in four losses in WCQ, we failed to qualify (obvs). I think the problem is 1) our defensive back line was/is turrible and 2) our familiarity with our tactics are like zero. I think it takes a longer time to develop an international side because of that. At any rate, I'm going to stick it out, and we are now at international friendly dates. We play Venezuela (H) and the USA (A). I'm going to stick with a simple 4-4-2 for now, and try to develop players in that formation. Maybe we can qualify for 2018.

I let my assist handle call-ups for the friendlies. Apparently I have done a shitty job, so I took his advice since it's just friendlies. I think the idea is to focus more on how people have played lately rather than their overall skill, right?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I do take in-form players, but I actually prefer long-term skill over guys who are just playing good for the moment. International play is more of a long game for me.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Yeah, I think it's definitely a little more learning curve than the club side of the game. Like I got my shit tossed being thrown into the middle of WCQ. Lost 0-5, 2-5, 1-5, 2-5.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Venezuela 3-2 Scotland. We fell behind 0-2, rallied back to equalize it, then gave up the winner in stoppage time. I told my team they played well despite the result and EVERYONE reacted negatively, lol.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Lost to the USA 3-1. Actually played quite well. Our goal was an own goal by Omar Gonzalez (lol), but two of their goals came very late, when I had subbed a bunch. Next friendly (over 3 months away) is against El Salvador, which should be much more manageable competition.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Just drew 2-2 with Tottenham after being up 2-0. Talk about bleh. We needed that one badly, they were in 3rd place.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
After a 2-0 win against Fulham and a shot up to 10th in the standings, the board is now satisfied with my corching of Everton. I guess 7 points in 3 matches was enough to get them off my back...for now! Lukaku is tearing shit up, I really would like him to transfer from Chelsea when his loan is up, but I doubt that they are going to allow that...will need to focus on Striker and Defender in the transfer window. Midfield is actually pretty decent.