• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Mongmittee Thread

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Only in 1 instance throughout the 16 year history of the BCS did an undeserving team make the BCSCG. A playoff of any size will automatically incorporate more undeserving teams.

It's all inclusion versus exclusion. My desired outcome is to exclude as many undeserving teams as possible, even if it means that some deserving teams are excluded. Your desired outcome is to include as many deserving teams as possible, even if it means that some undeserving teams are included.

Your way sucks, and it will only serve to desecrate the best regular season in sports. It's only going to get worse as the playoff expands.

-YTC

For someone who talks a lot of uneducated shit about computer metrics, you're awfully supportive of a ranking system whose formula was 66% computer metrics.

I don't even disagree with you, I think the BCS would be FAR better than a committee like we have now. I don't think the BCS only got it wrong once (I assume you mean Nebraska 2001-2002), but it was right more than it was wrong. I don't see what would have been so bad about keeping the BCS and putting the first 4 (or 8, or 16) teams into a playoff. I am very much against a committee deciding who the deserving playoff teams are, especially when they are not particularly open about how they come to that conclusion.

That said, your point about undeserving teams being included in a playoff system is kind of being proven wrong this year don't you think? At the moment, there are 7 very qualified playoff teams not to mention undefeated Marshall and a few very good two loss teams. Obviously a lot can change in the next few weeks, but a 4 team playoff is going to look pretty stupid if 11-1 teams like Baylor, TCU and Ohio State are watching from home and a 12-0 Marshall team can't even crack the top 10.

I want the regular season to have importance, I agree it is the best and most meaningful regular season in sports and that shouldn't change. At the same time, a 4 team playoff in a 128 team division of football is going to exclude far more deserving teams over the course of its existence than it will include undeserving teams.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
We've had a playoff system since 1998. Until this year, however, it was a one-game, two-team playoff. Maybe in another 16 years, they'll expand to 6 or 8 teams.

Curious which team YTC thinks was the undeserving team that made it. Was it the 2-loss LSU team that ultimately won the whole shebang? The Nebraska team that got absolutely blasted in its CCG (or the Oklahoma team, two years later, who similarly got blasted in the CCG?)

In any case, to add my two whacks to the horse's pulpified corpse - more footbaw is better. More games and more matchups between top teams is better. Sure, many, or most of them won't come away unscathed, but it's like the difference between UFC and PPV boxing. In the one, you have top guys always fighting one another, so their W-L records often look pedestrian. In the other, you have fighters who jealously guard their precious W-L records, carefully selecting opponents, and only very rarely see a matchup between giants. So, I'm happy that the playoff has now expanded from 2 teams to 4. Now we will get to see at least three huge games between huge teams. Prior to this, you had teams carefully scheduling cupcakes to pad their W-L records, and going for style points, etc. Now, and going forward, they'll get to settle it on the field, the way it should be.

Wooly

There was nothing terribly wrong about Nebraska 2001 getting the title game. If you go back and actually look at the whole situation it was one of two possibilities, and both had some merit.

A two loss LSU team was more suspect.

Renegade

Charge on!
ec

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Subjectivity and college footbaw are forever intertwined. I like it that way. Everything else in this world is decided by despotic lizards. We have Peace Prize winning prez ordering hits on Americans, the destruction of constitutional liberties, warrantless spying, NDAA, FEMA ordering millions of hollowtips. And this is what we are worried about. Its clearly designed to cause controversy like all ESPN mongs. Youll understand once you watch PTI on acid and contemplate the futility of it all. It will drive a man into playing Russian Roulette and raw dogging 2 scrippers....man say I wont.

Last edited:

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
What did the simulated BcS look like last week before the humans dropped TCU from 3 to 6 in the polls.

jobob 5.0

I Am Reborn
What did the simulated BcS look like last week before the humans dropped TCU from 3 to 6 in the polls.
This... the CFP committee has very clearly influenced the voters this year. There is zero chance that voters would've dropped an undefeated, reigning national champion to put a 1-loss team above them in the old system.