• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Mongmittee Thread

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I hate the idea of expanded playoffs without the guarantee that all undefeated teams are automatically included. If you go undefeated, you deserve the chance to play for a championship. Otherwise what is the fucking point of even having playoffs?

But then Alabama joins sun belt .

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
But then Alabama joins sun belt .

Good. If we are really going to have 100+ teams in the same division, then the traditional powers should spread themselves out more. Either that or we split the 100+ teams into two divisions. Either way mid majors will at least have something to play for beyond pride.

Anyway, going undefeated is hard no matter what conference you play in, which is why so few teams go undefeated in any given year. An undefeated mid-major team did as much to earn their spot as any team with a loss (or multiple losses).

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
16-team playoffs with bowl games as first round.
All conference champs and unbeaten teams included with selected at-larges based on CFP rankings.
National shampship happens on week of Dat Pro Bowl.
An FBS fan's wet dream.
Happen must it.

Freeman

No. Not this again.

Please lord, baby Jesus, please come back so the rapture can happen to stop this nonsense of ever expanding playoffs so all the special snowflakes will stop saying everyone deserves a chance.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
No. Not this again.

Please lord, baby Jesus, please come back so the rapture can happen to stop this nonsense of ever expanding playoffs so all the special snowflakes will stop saying everyone deserves a chance.

Mah ninja...

200.gif

-YTC

Brick

when i look back on it, the : "NFC, AFC, SEC" moment at the oregon game will be one of the greatest moments of my life.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Okay. That's two more games. 4 more teams. 8 total. Can still use a top 10 poll. Then list who "highest ranked group of 5 team" is if they fall outside the top 10.

But then, I realize, the ESPN echo chamber would have nothing to talk about on Wednesday-GameDay Saturday AM
Math fails you. Need 12 teams for 6 bowls, even tho some garbage ACC team will take the Orange Bowl spot.

Mame YO

slings rocks
To me 8 or 12 is where they'll settle simply because they don't want a two-term sport to me. Maybe a week or two of overlap may be doable but they might, for example, scrap conference championships to keep in their preferred season length calendar-wise.

Brick

This tcu v Baylor argument shit is making my head fucking explode.

If anyone think scheduling Minnesota at home and beating them is some badge of honor, they should quit life.

EYE TEST DOE

Baylor has bitch slapped everyone but wvu and tcu. Ohio state and tcu struggled against two terrible teams in Indiana and Kansas the past two weeks.

If Baylor pwns ksu the last week of the season, I'd have them in over either of those teams.

I don't care what osu has done since. They were owned at home by a terrible team who couldn't score in regulation against wake forest. That should effectively count as two losses. The big ten is an awful league this year. Gtfo

Last edited:

Brick

Mississippi state has only beaten 1 currently ranked team, #16 auburn. You wont hear that on any news outlet doe.

THREE STRAIGHT TOP TEN WINS

they will lose the egg bowl anyway.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
What input do you need? Talk to me when the final four are announced. You just bitch about teams but never make a case for who should be there in their stead.

Wooly

This tcu v Baylor argument shit is making my head fucking explode.

If anyone think scheduling Minnesota at home and beating them is some badge of honor, they should quit life.

EYE TEST DOE

Baylor has bitch slapped everyone but wvu and tcu. Ohio state and tcu struggled against two terrible teams in Indiana and Kansas the past two weeks.

If Baylor pwns ksu the last week of the season, I'd have them in over either of those teams.

I don't care what osu has done since. They were owned at home by a terrible team who couldn't score in regulation against wake forest. That should effectively count as two losses. The big ten is an awful league this year. Gtfo
I don't agree with saying OSU struggled with Indiana. Games are 4 quarters long, and OSU handled them easily by the end. FSU struggled for a full four quarters, that is what struggling is.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It was 28-20 until there was under 5 minutes left. Game was a lot closer than the final score indicates. And giving up 27 points to Indiana's offense right now is really bad.

Brick

@Wooly

ohio state, oregon, and mississippi state all played dead-last teams with combined 0-23 conference records yesterday.

oregon won 44-10. mariota sat out 4th Q.
msu beat vandy 51-0. prescott sat out 4th Q.
tOSU was only up 21-20 going into the 4Q.

amended to "struggled for 3.5 Q". you're right. but given their terrible loss and poor schedule, tOSU could afford to play better when this is pretty much a beauty contest for the one loss teams. fair or not.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I don't agree with saying OSU struggled with Indiana. Games are 4 quarters long, and OSU handled them easily by the end. FSU struggled for a full four quarters, that is what struggling is.

Ironically FSU struggled in the second half. The first half they actually looked pretty good. FSU scored on 3 of 4 posessions. Unfortunately two FSU mistakes turned the game from 20 or 24-3 to 17-10 FSU lead at half time.

Lightningwar

Administrator
BC is an avg team. But they are a run heavy team that gives our defense fits and slows the game down. 220 pound linebackers require a dominant line. Our line hasn't been dominant this year. The rain played into their favor as well. And terribly stupid penalties on our part. Like that gif of Matthew Thomas hitting their QB on a 3rd and long incompletion. That would had got our defense off the field in the second half. Instead they grind out 5-6 more plays and score a TD. Game was really annoying. First time all year we looked good in the first half. Only to lay an egg in the second.

We had 8 possessions minus the end of half where we ran out the clock and scored on 4 of them and an missed FG which would had been 5 of 8. We only punted twice and threw an interception. When a team slows the game down like that it takes away the ability to run the score up. But we had our opportunities and sucked ass. Dropped TD, Interception, and the miss FG left 10 points on the field and lead to 7 of theirs.

First time in years I have seen our defense physically beat though. They were winded and I have no idea how we finally forced them to try that FG in the 4th which they luckily missed.

Last edited:

Wooly

@Wooly

ohio state, oregon, and mississippi state all played dead-last teams with combined 0-23 conference records yesterday.

oregon won 44-10. mariota sat out 4th Q.
msu beat vandy 51-0. prescott sat out 4th Q.
tOSU was only up 21-20 going into the 4Q.

amended to "struggled for 3.5 Q". you're right. but given their terrible loss and poor schedule, tOSU could afford to play better when this is pretty much a beauty contest for the one loss teams. fair or not.

Oh yeah, OSU had better be playing better if they want to get in, especially given the perception and how an OSU team struggling is more of a story than other teams struggling. I couldn't help but notice that at one point ESPN was reporting "the story of the day has been OSU struggling against Indiana". It just seems a but much.

I am not knocking FSU for struggling pe se, they played what looks like a decent team in BC, but I was pointing out that they did in fact struggle, right up to the end of the game, yet it was OSU that was mentioned while evaluating playoff hopefuls. If I am going to focus on a team struggling it would be that, since it has happened for several weeks, and they look more and more beatable as the season wears on. You have to think FSU is going to drop one sooner later living on the edge like they do. OSU was on a roll for weeks until Indiana. What you really take away from all of this is: people see what they want to see to justify the ends they already have in their heads. That if CFB to a T. You start the year with pre-season rankings, and the rest of the year is a game of rationalization to prove to yourself that you were right all along.

A note on FSU in general. I was impressed by the physicality of many of their players, but underwhelmed in the outcome of the play. Is it just me or does it seem like they have a lot of physical talent that doesn't know how to play. It seems like they are living off their talent with mediocre execution. What will happen when they play a team of their own caliber, like in a playoff?

Wooly

BC is an avg team. But they are a run heavy team that gives our defense fits and slows the game down. 220 pound linebackers require a dominant line. Our line hasn't been dominant this year. The rain played into their favor as well. And terribly stupid penalties on our part. Like that gif of Matthew Thomas hitting their QB on a 3rd and long incompletion. That would had got our defense off the field in the second half. Instead they grind out 5-6 more plays and score a TD. Game was really annoying. First time all year we looked good in the first half. Only to lay an egg in the second.

We had 8 possessions minus the end of half where we ran out the clock and scored on 4 of them and an missed FG which would had been 5 of 8. We only punted twice and threw an interception. When a team slows the game down like that it takes away the ability to run the score up. But we had our opportunities and sucked ass. Dropped TD, Interception, and the miss FG left 10 points on the field and lead to 7 of theirs.

First time in years I have seen our defense physically beat though. They were winded and I have no idea how we finally forced them to try that FG in the 4th which they luckily missed.

I watched the roughing the passer on Thomas, and several clips since. I just don't understand what he was doing. It looked like an intentional, but half-assed attempt at knocking out a QB. He hit the guy straight on with his helmet, with no attempt to tackle (no arms out to tackle), like a head butt basically. However, he looked reluctant while doing it, like he wasn't really sure (which is why it seems all the more intentional). He didn't run and launch as fast and hard as you would have expected, instead just ran up and head butted him in clear view of everyone. If you are going to blatantly take out a QB, you get your moneys worth. You launch and give that kid a concussion. Get the win and preserve your undefeated season, even if it means sitting out several games, if you are going to bother at all. Instead all Thomas did was extent the drive and miss about a games worth of playing time. Did he make any statement about why he did it?

Brick

The biggest sham in the poll is Georgia at #9.

That blowout loss to Florida is one of the worst losses of the year by a "top" team. They also lost to South Carolina.

Yet they are above Michigan state who lost to #2 on the road and #6.

And #12 Kansas state who only lost to #5 and #15.

Not to mention other two loss teams like Wisconsin, Arizona.

Last edited:

Renegade

Charge on!
Very shocked to hear Herbstreit yesterday admit that perhaps the SEC West had been overrated in light of Ole Piss' beatdown by Ar-kansas. Fully expected an argument about how Arkansas had improved and was now better than any team in the B1G.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Oh yeah, OSU had better be playing better if they want to get in, especially given the perception and how an OSU team struggling is more of a story than other teams struggling. I couldn't help but notice that at one point ESPN was reporting "the story of the day has been OSU struggling against Indiana". It just seems a but much.

I am not knocking FSU for struggling pe se, they played what looks like a decent team in BC, but I was pointing out that they did in fact struggle, right up to the end of the game, yet it was OSU that was mentioned while evaluating playoff hopefuls. If I am going to focus on a team struggling it would be that, since it has happened for several weeks, and they look more and more beatable as the season wears on. You have to think FSU is going to drop one sooner later living on the edge like they do. OSU was on a roll for weeks until Indiana. What you really take away from all of this is: people see what they want to see to justify the ends they already have in their heads. That if CFB to a T. You start the year with pre-season rankings, and the rest of the year is a game of rationalization to prove to yourself that you were right all along.

A note on FSU in general. I was impressed by the physicality of many of their players, but underwhelmed in the outcome of the play. Is it just me or does it seem like they have a lot of physical talent that doesn't know how to play. It seems like they are living off their talent with mediocre execution. What will happen when they play a team of their own caliber, like in a playoff?

I think having a 3rd D-coordinator in 3 years finally caught up to us. Charles Kelly is not Mark Stoops or Jeremy Pruitt. Also people may not realize how many true freshman are playing out there. At times we have 3 true freshman on our defensive line. On offense we have 2 true freshman recievers, RB, and now left tackle. And Mario Pender is for the most part a freshman as well. Before moving Erving to center we had a redshirt freshman playing center. This imo shows up in the consistency part of our game. Why we will dominate parts of the game but not the entirety of it all. Too many guys who were playing highschool a year ago and are still learning the game and how to win at this level.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I watched the roughing the passer on Thomas, and several clips since. I just don't understand what he was doing. It looked like an intentional, but half-assed attempt at knocking out a QB. He hit the guy straight on with his helmet, with no attempt to tackle (no arms out to tackle), like a head butt basically. However, he looked reluctant while doing it, like he wasn't really sure (which is why it seems all the more intentional). He didn't run and launch as fast and hard as you would have expected, instead just ran up and head butted him in clear view of everyone. If you are going to blatantly take out a QB, you get your moneys worth. You launch and give that kid a concussion. Get the win and preserve your undefeated season, even if it means sitting out several games, if you are going to bother at all. Instead all Thomas did was extent the drive and miss about a games worth of playing time. Did he make any statement about why he did it?

yeah I dont get it neither. Frustration got the better of him? He knew this was going to be a penalty and was half thinking it over while going through the action of hitting him? Those types of plays annoy the hell out of me because they are 100% preventable. It isnt a WR running across the middle and the player has .1 milisecond to react and the ref decides it was a helmet to helmet and he is ejected. That play by Thomas reminded me of Clemsons safety last year launching himself at Winston. That one was even more blatent than this one. He was ejected. And it was even dumber because FSU was up 35-7 at that point.

Lightningwar

Administrator
The biggest sham in the poll is Georgia at #9.

That blowout loss to Florida is one of the worst losses of the year by a "top" team. They also lost to South Carolina.

Yet they are above Michigan state who lost to #2 on the road and #6.

And #12 Kansas state who only lost to #5 and #15.

Not to mention other two loss teams like Wisconsin, Arizona.

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
1. Flazzu
2. Oregon
3. Baylor
4. Alabama

5. TCU
6. UCLA
7. Arizona
8. anOSU

9. Kansas State
10. Colorado State
11. Mississippi State

Then some combination of: Sparty, UGA, Wisky, ASU

-YTC

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
What does Marshall get if they go undefeated?

This is my favorite thing. Not only are they undefeated, but they've largely blown out everyone they've played with an average margin of victory of like 30 points, and yet they literally aren't even in the discussion. Look at the playoff rankings and you've got 3 loss juggernauts like Minnesota, Louisville, Clemson, OU, USC, Utah, etc ahead of them. I think they'd seriously take a 6-6 SEC team over an undefeated Marshall.

They could expand the playoffs to 64 teams and the Lizards would still find a way to exclude mid-major schools.

I hope they blow the fucking doors off some "disappointed team" in a worthless bowl.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
What does Marshall get if they go undefeated?
If the committee judges them to be the best of the nonocartel conference champions, they get a trip to one of the CFP affiliated bowls. Probably Peach bowl vs Georgia or Cotton Bowl vs the Big 12 runner up.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
They should be in the playoff discussion if they beat Mizzou this week. They didn't lose a game outside the SEC against that world beater schedule.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Listening to Sirius XM this morning, and Greg McElroy was asked why he would rank Mississippi State ahead of Baylor, when both have awful non-con schedules, and Baylor has better wins right now. His answer?

The eyetest.

-YTC

Brick

mississippi state's defense sucks: http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/430/total/defense/gamelog.html

not as bad as oregon's. but oregon has mariota.

prescott has tailed off pretty significantly. tenn-martin and vandy barely qualify as football teams. his last four games against reel opponents he has thrown 5 touchdowns to 8 interceptions. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/player/430/1040385/passing/gamelog.html

of all the teams being considered right now with one losses, i'd pick them as an opponent over anyone else with no hesitation.

thinking they lose egg bowl anyway doe.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Listening to Sirius XM this morning, and Greg McElroy was asked why he would rank Mississippi State ahead of Baylor, when both have awful non-con schedules, and Baylor has better wins right now. His answer?

The eyetest.

-YTC

That's a pretty stupid answer but since when does Baylor have better wins than Mississippi State? :thinking:

Baylor has two wins against ranked teams and a loss to a 5 loss team. Mississippi State has three wins against ranked teams (all top 10) and a loss to a top 5 team. I personally think Mississippi State loses on the road to Ole Miss so it won't end up mattering, but there aren't many arguments right now in favor of Baylor over Mississippi State.

kingssc

That's a pretty stupid answer but since when does Baylor have better wins than Mississippi State? :thinking:

Baylor has two wins against ranked teams and a loss to a 5 loss team. Mississippi State has three wins against ranked teams (all top 10) and a loss to a top 5 team. I personally think Mississippi State loses on the road to Ole Miss so it won't end up mattering, but there aren't many arguments right now in favor of Baylor over Mississippi State.

Baylor has wins over the (per AP, we'll see what CFP says tomorrow) #6 and #20 teams, Mississippi State has a win over the #15 team.

Don't give us that time that they played ranking horseshit

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Baylor has wins over the (per AP, we'll see what CFP says tomorrow) #6 and #20 teams, Mississippi State has a win over the #15 team.

Don't give us that time that they played ranking horseshit

It isn't my bullshit, it is the Sagarin rankings' bullshit. Which by the way has Baylor ahead of Mississippi State overall. You'll excuse me if I don't give a whole lot of credit to the votes of the Associated Press.

You can argue for Baylor over Mississippi State all you want, but there is no one on earth who could argue that Baylor has played tougher schedule than Mississippi State without sounding like an idiot.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
It isn't my bullshit, it is the Sagarin rankings' bullshit. Which by the way has Baylor ahead of Mississippi State overall. You'll excuse me if I don't give a whole lot of credit to the votes of the Associated Press.

You can argue for Baylor over Mississippi State all you want, but there is no one on earth who could argue that Baylor has played tougher schedule than Mississippi State without sounding like an idiot.
TCU - Bama
Oklahoma - Auburn
Texas - Daddy
West Virginia - LSU

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Think about why you find the comparison so absurd. Are you saying if that is a 4 game series that it isn't possible to be a split?