• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah they don't have the right personnel. So, it'd take a few seasons to actually win some footbaw games. If he does stay at Washington State though, in the next couple of years they could be competing with the big boys in the Pac-12 North.

Exciting.

Should be interesting, nobody's a scrub in the PAC outside of Colorado so there's not a lot of room for them to move up without someone falling. I don't see Oregon State doing anything anytime soon but Oregon is obviously still very good. Furd might be on a bit of a decline, Cal is interesting, and Petersen's tenure at UDub has been a mixed bag of sorts thus far.

Next year should be fun to watch with a Leach-recruited QB. He'll be a first time starter but he'll have a lot of weapons around him. Gotta get that run game going just a little bit, doe.

sayo

YEET
Here's an interesting read about that: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/j...-and-likely-end-of-the-run-and-shoot-offense/

Basically, it's not so much that the spread affected his offense, it's that he affected his offense. The Run and Shoot got destroyed not that long ago and they had no answer for what defenses were doing, so people stopped running it. When guys like Jones cracked the code so to speak and figured out what to do, he was so guarded about it that nobody really knew what he was doing.

Guys like Tony Franklin (OC at Cal) and Noel Mazzone (OC at UCLA) have literally sold their system to people. If you read about the boon of the spread, you'll read that all these guys shared what they were doing with each other. Chip Kelly went to visit Rich Rodriguez when he was at Clemson, Kevin Wilson (HC at IU and was OC at Northwestern when the spread took off) did the same thing, Gary Pinkel and the guys at Mizzou visited the coaching staff at Toledo to share ideas, Chip Kelly shared ideas with Urban Meyer this summer, etc. I don't think you'd ever see that with June Jones.

I found it pretty interesting he never had as much success at SMU as he did at Hawaii. The level of play may have been better but not by that much and he's bringing in Texas talent. I would guess part of the problem is that again, no one is really running this offense so it's pretty hard to pluck a guy from HS who already knows the system.
Only active person I can think of that can run it is Nick Rolovich who's currently at Nevada as OC and QB coach. I don't think he has full reign to run what he wants, but he did run the shoot at Hawaii after JJ left. Rolo did always seem to be open to modernizing the offense (he ran a lot of the shoot out of the pistol his last few years) even running spread option stuff like the zone read with Moniz. It's a shame Chow's dumbass was so quick to drop him from the staff upon being hired. Rolovich did a lot of good things when he was the coordinator at Hawaii. It's also nice he was able to coach and learn under Ault for a few years as well. Dude has worked under some great offensive minds.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Only active person I can think of that can run it is Nick Rolovich who's currently at Nevada as OC and QB coach. I don't think he has full reign to run what he wants, but he did run the shoot at Hawaii after JJ left. Rolo did always seem to be open to modernizing the offense (he ran a lot of the shoot out of the pistol his last few years) even running spread option stuff like the zone read with Moniz. It's a shame Chow's dumbass was so quick to drop him from the staff upon being hired. Rolovich did a lot of good things when he was the coordinator at Hawaii. It's also nice he was able to coach and learn under Ault for a few years as well. Dude has worked under some great offensive minds.

It's interesting you say that because it reminds me of this: http://www.mwcconnection.com/footba...ch-to-remain-offensive-coordinator-for-nevada

I remember reading that story and hearing that he was frustrated that he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted but ended up coming back to Nevada anyway. From what I saw in their game against Wazzu, it was a pretty prototypical Pistol offense.

I wonder what Colt Brennan's up to. Maybe he'll be an OC somewhere eventually.

R2D2

It's interesting you say that because it reminds me of this: http://www.mwcconnection.com/footba...ch-to-remain-offensive-coordinator-for-nevada

I remember reading that story and hearing that he was frustrated that he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted but ended up coming back to Nevada anyway. From what I saw in their game against Wazzu, it was a pretty prototypical Pistol offense.

I wonder what Colt Brennan's up to. Maybe he'll be an OC somewhere eventually.

Fucker is messed up in the head. Last I knew of him he got cut by the LA Kiss because of some brain damage in his head from a 2010 wreck.

sayo

YEET
Fucker is messed up in the head. Last I knew of him he got cut by the LA Kiss because of some brain damage in his head from a 2010 wreck.
Word around the islands is he's had issues with drug abuse as well. Sucks he went from being on an NFL roster to where he is now. That car accident seems like it fucked him up pretty bad.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I think barring a 2 or less win ACC season that Mike London is in very good shape. Almost beating UCLA and beating Louisville helped him a ton. Staying within a TD of BYU this week would help too.

coogrfan

How is Tony Levine not on the list?

UH Total offense rank:

2014 106th
2013 55th
2012 15th

[BCOLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)]2011 1st[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)]2010 11th[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)]2009 1st[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)]2008 2nd[/BCOLOR]

2007 4th
2006 2nd
2005 20th
2004 56th

Briles
Sumlin
Levine

bruin

I believe Mike Leach is the fifth highest paid coach in the PAC-12. As long as he beats Washington once and a while and has them competing for bowl games, he's safe.

Mike London made the best move of his career hiring Jon Tenuta. Virginia matched Louisville athlete for athlete last Saturday. Reely looking forward to their game in Provo this weekend.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
That's why I don't think he'd be heading to Houston or GT anytime soon. He enjoys those small college towns way more than a city like Houston or Atlanta.

He did consider the UDub job but that was when he wasn't getting along with the AD at TTU.

Renegade

Charge on!
I don't really see Leach leaving Wazzu. He likes small towns, he's from the west, he's well paid, and he should easily exceed expectations at Wazzu. The only downside is the difficulty of recruiting there...easily the toughest job in the Pac-12 for that, and while Texas Tech wasn't a top recruiting gig, at least you had a metric shitton of in-state talent.

Wooly

I don't really see Leach leaving Wazzu. He likes small towns, he's from the west, he's well paid, and he should easily exceed expectations at Wazzu. The only downside is the difficulty of recruiting there...easily the toughest job in the Pac-12 for that, and while Texas Tech wasn't a top recruiting gig, at least you had a metric shitton of in-state talent.

He strikes me as the kind of guy that isn't motivated by money enough to go to a situation he doesn't like just because it pays more. He seems a lot more contented than that, he seems to have a lot more healthy outlook on life than most D1A coaches. Now watch him take a high priced job in LA or something LOL.

The recruiting is really the issue right now. Not only is he trying to get talent to Pullman, but he has to do it against a lot more schools now. 10 years ago there were not as many schools going 4-5 wide spread. There is only so many good WR and QBs out there, and he is not in Texas or the south to find so many diamonds in rough.

Yeah, Price did it at Wazzu with Bledsoe and Leaf, but again, he was running a wide open scheme when not many schools were.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
He could've had the UCLA job. :sad:

He doesn't really have Texas anymore, but they're getting a lot of recruits from CA now.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
He strikes me as the kind of guy that isn't motivated by money enough to go to a situation he doesn't like just because it pays more. He seems a lot more contented than that, he seems to have a lot more healthy outlook on life than most D1A coaches. Now watch him take a high priced job in LA or something LOL.

The recruiting is really the issue right now. Not only is he trying to get talent to Pullman, but he has to do it against a lot more schools now. 10 years ago there were not as many schools going 4-5 wide spread. There is only so many good WR and QBs out there, and he is not in Texas or the south to find so many diamonds in rough.

Canada. Bring that talent down. It has to be better than what is produced in Pullman, E. Washington, Idaho and Montana.

Wooly

Yeah, CA is where they all have to go to get it. The Seattle area actually has good football talent. A lot of polys in the Tacoma area, but they usually take Udub first.

Canada? They can get you an oil pipeline for sure, I don't know about football. Maybe Smeth can get something going for Leach, tap into that Montreal talent. The French are known for their line play, blitzkgrieg not so much.

Or, maybe he can get something from up in Alaska, they have something special going on at Pt Barrow. They got the blue field from Boise St. when they replaced their old one.
images

image_preview

goblue96

@Wooly Western Canada has to have tons of Wes Welker clones to run the slot in the spread. Not all of them play hockey.

goblue96

Why are Brandon and Hoke such best buds?

Hoke is the Pizza Salesman's yes man. It's thought that Dick Rod was fired because he didn't want the Pizza Salesman in all of the football meetings. It's also thought that Michigan's OC and DC report to the Pizza Salesman and not Hoke. Hoke just agrees to whatever the Pizza Salesman wants.

avoid-the-noid6.jpg

Renegade

Charge on!
Lot of signs pointing to O'Leary retiring after this season. He wants his protege Brent Key, our OL coach, to get the job, and he may try to retire at an awkward time to force them to at least give Key the job for next year. But the big donors want a national search. Personally, I want Schiano, Orgeron, or Tommy Bowden.

Renegade

Charge on!
Tommy Bowden is still coaching?

Probably golfing, but he's only 60. Could be at UCF for a number of years and keep the stability. I'm afraid of hiring a guy like Fedora who will sacrifice the foundation to get some big seasons so he can move on to a bigger job. Look at the disaster he left the Southern Miss program in. Schiano and Orgeron might ride out too, but they'd at least recruit well and probably not resort to JUCOs to do so.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Hoke is the Pizza Salesman's yes man. It's thought that Dick Rod was fired because he didn't want the Pizza Salesman in all of the football meetings. It's also thought that Michigan's OC and DC report to the Pizza Salesman and not Hoke. Hoke just agrees to whatever the Pizza Salesman wants.

avoid-the-noid6.jpg

:laughing: Where the fuck are you getting this crap from? :laughing:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think it's more likely that Brandon told DickRod to fire GERG and DickRod wouldn't. I would imagine Mattison and Nussmeyer wouldn't put up with that type of crap from Brandon either.

mcnoles

Probably golfing, but he's only 60. Could be at UCF for a number of years and keep the stability. I'm afraid of hiring a guy like Fedora who will sacrifice the foundation to get some big seasons so he can move on to a bigger job. Look at the disaster he left the Southern Miss program in. Schiano and Orgeron might ride out too, but they'd at least recruit well and probably not resort to JUCOs to do so.
He is a football analyst for ACC.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Lot of signs pointing to O'Leary retiring after this season. He wants his protege Brent Key, our OL coach, to get the job, and he may try to retire at an awkward time to force them to at least give Key the job for next year. But the big donors want a national search. Personally, I want Schiano, Orgeron, or Tommy Bowden.
Schiano isn't taking an AAC jerb. He still has 6M due from Tamper and I don't think he would have left Rutgers if we had the Big Ten invite at the time.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
So who will be next Michigan coach? Does Dan Mullen get a shot?
No. He's 3-21 vs. Top 25 teams. He's done a fine job at MSU but no reason why Michigan should get him.

I think there's ont much of a chance Harbaugh is coming back to the 49ers. His experience in SF too means he'd want full reign on football and I don't know if there's an NFL team at this point that'll have an opening that will let him do everything/doesn't have an overbearing owner.

No reason Mike Leach would leave Washington State for virtually any job especially Houston. That's insane talk. Maybe BYU since he went there but it looks like Mendenhall is doing pretty well there. I can't think of anywhere else. They just significantly upgraded all the facilities and stadium which was their biggest problem. Also don't think it's as hard as people make it to recruit there. They do very well in Northern California.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Leach at BYU would be wild. He doesn't have a stick up his ass so they'd never hire him.

Renegade

Charge on!
Given that he's a non-practicing Mormon, I doubt Leach would even be a candidate for BYU. I just really don't see him leaving Wazzu, even if some big program comes calling. He's got a good set up and it's a low pressure job where he can be himself. I doubt he wants to deal with shit like the coach at Michigan has to do. (just an example)