• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NFL: ALL HAIL THE ACID SHARKS

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
On the Bryant catch, what if when he reached the ball out, he actually crossed the plane of the end zone and then came down and the ball popped out? Would that have been a TD or no? So catch it at the 5, stumble to the goal line, reach across, then pop out = no catch?

I don't think so because it was never considered a catch in the first place

CJ_24

When I watched the game live, I thought it was a catch. I thought Dez had secured the ball and made an athletic move (which constitutes possession) then the ground can't cause a fumble = catch.

however

A friend of my reminded me that they changed the rule a couple of years ago to say that you have to "maintain possession through the ground", which Dez arguably did not do.

Which to me, would indicate that there would not be "indisputable evidence" to overturn the call on the field, thus the call on the field (a catch) should stand.

It was a ballsy play by the cowboys, kind of a nonsensical risk given that they had been gashing the packers with the run game all day and I had zero confidence in the packers d stopping the cowboys from getting 1 yard on the ground.

CJ_24

Is there anyone in the league other than Rodgers or Luck who can make the throw Rodgers made on the go ahead td? Off balance, frozen rope 30+ yards between the safety and the cornerback. That was some badass fucking shit, and he did it so casually too.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
The issue on the catch is the "football move" portion of the rule. Falling to the ground is not a "football move" regardless of how many times your feet touch. Right call.

CJ_24

This is where I couldn't be a "good" pro if I was in Dez's shoes. I'd be so pissed after the game, I'd get fined and called a poor sport and bad loser because that is just the wrong call.

"both teams played hard"

CJ_24

I think the narrowest holding should have been not "indisputable evidence" to overturn, because given the arguments on both sides there clearly is a preponderance of highly disputable evidence. Takes balls to overturn that call on the field.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
I think the narrowest holding should have been not "indisputable evidence" to overturn, because given the arguments on both sides there clearly is a preponderance of highly disputable evidence. Takes balls to overturn that call on the field.

what do you think about finishing up the rest of your Reel Report interview?

After I saw it once in slow motion I was just sure they were going to overturn it. It looked so much like Earl Thomas' incerception that got overturned, I never had any doubt.

BZNoAi1.jpg

Reeeeeeealy thinking about getting this shirt. If the shirt had that forehead mark I'd have already pulled the trigger.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I don't really like John Fox, but Denver's coordinators are already apparently the hottest candidates left in a depleted corching pool, so who the fuck do the think they are going to bring in that's better?

The only thing that makes any sense at all is that Elway wants to bring Kubiak back to Denver and already has some sort of verbal commitment in place? I admit I was jealous watching the Raven's offensive line cut blocking their way to a RB with 5.5 ypc or some shit over the season. I love Kubiak's offense.

kingssc

Is trying to put the ball in the endzone a "football move".

How goddamn ghey this is.
Apparently if he got into the end zone it might have been different. Gotta love consistency in the NFL!

Per PFT

In past cases, that football move (previously dubbed by former NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira as a “second act“) is enough to complete the catch. In the last game of Pereira’s stint as V.P. of officiating, the “second act” exception gave the Saints a key two-point conversion in Super Bowl XLIV, as receiver Lance Moore caught a pass while going to the ground, reached the ball across the plane, hit the ground, and lost possession.
If the term “second act” is synonymous with “football move,” the ultimate question as to the Dez Bryant player becomes whether there was indisputable visual evidence that he didn’t commit a football move or second act. If the visual evidence was not indisputable, the ruling on the field should have been confirmed.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I don't really like John Fox, but Denver's coordinators are already apparently the hottest candidates left in a depleted corching pool, so who the fuck do the think they are going to bring in that's better?

On the other hand, I could be the offensive coordinator for Peyton, and the offense would be fine. All you need is a decent defensive coordinator. And Fox is terrible at gameday strategy, so no great loss there.

I wonder if they're blowing it up because Peyton is retiring. If that's the case, bring back Tebow (being serious).

PSUEagle

The only thing that makes any sense at all is that Elway wants to bring Kubiak back to Denver and already has some sort of verbal commitment in place? I admit I was jealous watching the Raven's offensive line cut blocking their way to a RB with 5.5 ypc or some shit over the season. I love Kubiak's offense.

Would never happen: Peyton would chafe at playing in his offense.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I hope Peyton doesn't retire and they switch to some sort of 2 QB system to keep him fresh for the postseason (or inversely use Peyton to qualify for the playoffs then switch to someone who doesn't choke). Just picture it... Peyton comes in and beep boops through a half of the easy games throwing 5 TDs... then they sub in some mong-king game manager QB (like Tebow) comes in to basically run zone read and scramble around like an asshole to convert 3rd downs for the rest of the game and kill the clock. It would only work if Peyton was willing to swallow his pride and leave the game as soon as Denver got up by 2 scores. I mean they basically do that anyway when they go into their mong run sets up 2 scores, but at least they'd have a running threat at QB as well.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Would never happen: Peyton would chafe at playing in his offense.

That's assuming Peyton is still around. I honestly can't think of any other scenarios that make sense (other than offering to Jack Del Rio?) I mean Denver is about to lose their OC and DC anyway, so firing the head corch only makes sense if there is someone out there Elway loves. With the already depleted corching pool, Kubiak is really the only thing that makes sense.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
I hope Peyton doesn't retire and they switch to some sort of 2 QB system to keep him fresh for the postseason (or inversely use Peyton to qualify for the playoffs then switch to someone who doesn't choke). Just picture it... Peyton comes in and beep boops through a half of the easy games throwing 5 TDs... then they sub in some mong-king game manager QB (like Tebow) comes in to basically run zone read and scramble around like an asshole to convert 3rd downs for the rest of the game and kill the clock. It would only work if Peyton was willing to swallow his pride and leave the game as soon as Denver got up by 2 scores. I mean they basically do that anyway when they go into their mong run sets up 2 scores, but at least they'd have a running threat at QB as well.

Would love to see a trick play where Tebow throws a bomb to a streaking Manning down the sideline.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
That's assuming Peyton is still around. I honestly can't think of any other scenarios that make sense (other than offering to Jack Del Rio?) I mean Denver is about to lose their OC and DC anyway, so firing the head corch only makes sense if there is someone out there Elway loves. With the already depleted corching pool, Kubiak is really the only thing that makes sense.

Offensive genius Lane Kiffin might be ready for another head corching gig.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Fuck, bring in Edelman. Use him as a slot receiver in the first half and then switch him to QB for the "run around like an asshole" offense once you're up 2 scores.

R2D2

Edelman HAS to get a big time contract after this play, right? I mean Alex Smith couldn't even do this shit.

PSUEagle

You don't think it's to promote boy wonder "genius" OC Adam Gase?

That's my first guess if Peyton sticks around. If not? Well now we get to find out how good Elway actually is at his job.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Does it even really matter who wins the AFC? I can't see anyone beating Seattle.

Seattle is beatable. The offense doesn't exactly light people up. They usually have a couple big scoring drives.....often times right after a turnover or some momentum-changing stop that the defense comes up with. I think Seattle is the best team left, but they're not perfect by any means.

If the Seahawks beat the Packers, I'd like to see them face New England. If Green Bay wins I'd much rather see the Patriots lose.

Why? Because Brady is much more of a statue than Luck? New England is a more complete team, IMO, and a less desirable matchup.....despite Brady's concrete boots. I'd like the Hawks chances against either, but if you're letting me pick the opponent, I think I'm taking Indy.

Why? Because Brady is much more of a statue than Luck? New England is a more complete team, IMO, and a less desirable matchup.....despite Brady's concrete boots. I'd like the Hawks chances against either, but if you're letting me pick the opponent, I think I'm taking Indy.

No, because despite the fact they haven't won a Super Bowl in a while, New England is still the last real "dynasty" that the NFL has had. And they are the coach and team that everybody else in the league roots against. It would be fun to take all of those titles away from them in one fell swoop.