• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
There's nobody in the stands today. May as well race at IRP. Prolly be a much better race.

Indy attendance has been garbage since tiregate in 2008. But, being nearly 100 degrees doesn't help either.

Another Gibbs invitational. Who coulda seen it coming

Everyone forgot to show up.

Just some reasons why the fans said "fuck it, I'll stay home and watch NBC's shitty coverage."

goblue96

And the 19, 21, 10, 31, and 2 teams have fab shops that have to do a lot of work because France needs Game 7 excitement

Wolfman21

Lmao...jet dryer spilled fluid down the front stretch...so they've had to spend like 2 more laps under caution to clean that up

Bdub

Why throw the caution for those 2 cars. Park your ass where you stopped and let them finish the race.
Every other series on earth would have finished but then NO OT

Iron

Jeff Gordon and Stewart's parade lap around the track was such a cool thing at the end though, best lap of the whole race

goblue96

While attendance figures are not announced, The Indianapolis Star reported that Sunday's crowd "might not have topped 50,000" at a track that has more than 250,000 permanent seats.

Not even Game 1 excitement.

Iron

Pocono has been much better over the last five years. First race there this season might be a top5 race so far this year.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Pocono is a hell of a lot better than Indy. Mainly because they have to slow down a lot more in the corners. Tracks where you have to get on the brakes is where the action is at. And ones that don't have progressive banking (looking at you, shitty version of Bristol).

Iron

Times/networks released for 2017:

Only 2 Cup races at 1pm: Dover 1 and Martinsville 2 (12 this year)
13/36 start at 3pm Eastern
12/36 start at 2/2:30pm
Darlington, Charlotte 2, and Kansas moves to NBCSN
Indy, Bristol 2, Talladega move to NBC
17 Cup races on NBC/FOX

Daytona 500 will move to Feb. 18 in 2018.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I seriously miss the noon/1PM starts. I usually find something else to do before 3PM, and then forget all about the race. And the only racing I DVR is F1, because I can watch the entire race in 90 minutes or less by skipping all the commercials.

Iron

Another notable change is that Texas 1 is now a 1:30pm Sunday start instead of Saturday night

Bdub

I seriously miss the noon/1PM starts. I usually find something else to do before 3PM, and then forget all about the race. And the only racing I DVR is F1, because I can watch the entire race in 90 minutes or less by skipping all the commercials.
F1 and Indycar definitely got the time waste right. 2 hours max is glorious. Think the last 10 Nascar laps on Sunday took longer than some Formula 1 races.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
500 miles in Nascar used to be a big deal when attrition was an issue. These days, nobody blows engines anymore. Make most races 300 or 400 miles, and let the engine guys experiment. Keep the 500 miler at Daytona & Darlington, the 500 lapper at Bristol, and the 600, and shorten everything else.

goblue96

These days, the engines are much more regulated than they were in the past. In the past, the only regulation was cubic inch size. Now, everything is regulated. Take the regulations except the cubic inch regulation and I guarantee you that more engines will blow.

Trim the rule book back A LOT. Let Goodyear bring a tire that wears out. And the racing will improve. Aero push doesn't matter if you are running 10 mph faster in the turns because you saved your tires to last a full fuel run and everyone else didn't.

"I'm not going faster. Everyone else is going slower."

Bdub

Take away down force and tires that wear out would go a long ways in making things a lot better. Also get rid of some races. We don't need so many in my opinion. Obviously stupid ass OT and all that needs to go away as well. Real race fans are not going to have a meltdown if it ends under yellow occasionally. That's just part of racing.

Iron

Parker Kligerman is now a pit reporter for Sprint Cup on NBC. I'm sure he'd rather be racing though...

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I did the Rusty Wallace Racing Experience a couple of weekends ago, Stephen Leicht was my ride-along driver.

I'm not normally claustrophobic, but I freaked out a little in the passenger seat. Now I know why most drivers are tiny. I must say though, my laps were quite a bit slower than his, lol.

goblue96

All of the 3 pm start times scream to me, "ploy to grab West Coast ratings." But the problem that is by 3 pm, just about everyone on the east coast has already settled into something else and will probably forget the race is on. Most of NASCAR's media markets are on the east coast. Just another example of Brian France not understanding the natural fan base.

JAR201166

All of the 3 pm start times scream to me, "ploy to grab West Coast ratings." But the problem that is by 3 pm, just about everyone on the east coast has already settled into something else and will probably forget the race is on. Most of NASCAR's media markets are on the east coast. Just another example of Brian France not understanding the natural fan base.
A 9am start wouldn't bother me