• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2080 Season Thread

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
FWIW, I've always been under the impression that the scout profiles impacted the scout's "overall" rating (ie STARZ) of the player's ability to play rather than the individual ratings themselves. For instance, a scout who favors ABILITIES would give more STARZ to a player who is further along in bat development and already has a decent position rating (ie more likely to reach potential), whereas a TOOLZ scout might focus more on the bat potential only (even if the current is low) and what the player's range says about their potential ability to play the position. So if you focused on the scout's OVERALL grade only, the TOOLZ guy would favor a high potential HS prospect and the ABILITY guy would favor more fully developed college guys who are less likely to bust. Again, I don't think this impacts the individual ratings current/potential, but the OVERALL grade the scout gives.

Since we have a mixed age draft class of college/HS players, it complicates the development rate issue and I pretty much just make all these evaluations ma'self (ie I prefer ABILITY because I typically take a lower potential developed player over a higher potential HS player). Douglass favors TOOLZ

FWIW, the OOTP community forum seems to prefer scouts who favor TOOLZ based on the SUPERSTAR FINDING description, but I honestly don't think it matters unless you're grading players by the STARZ, which I don't do.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
FWIW, I've always been under the impression that the scout profiles impacted the scout's "overall" rating (ie STARZ) of the player's ability to play rather than the individual ratings themselves. For instance, a scout who favors ABILITIES would give more STARZ to a player who is further along in bat development and already has a decent position rating (ie more likely to reach potential), whereas a TOOLZ scout might focus more on the bat potential only (even if the current is low) and what the player's range says about their potential ability to play the position. So if you focused on the scout's OVERALL grade only, the TOOLZ guy would favor a high potential HS prospect and the ABILITY guy would favor more fully developed college guys who are less likely to bust. Again, I don't think this impacts the individual ratings current/potential, but the OVERALL grade the scout gives.

Since we have a mixed age draft class of college/HS players, it complicates the development rate issue and I pretty much just make all these evaluations ma'self (ie I prefer ABILITY because I typically take a lower potential developed player over a higher potential HS player). Douglass favors TOOLZ

FWIW, the OOTP community forum seems to prefer scouts who favor TOOLZ based on the SUPERSTAR FINDING description, but I honestly don't think it matters unless you're grading players by the STARZ, which I don't do.

Do you evaluate purely on stats, or ratings too?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think I went over this in the draft thread but... In the draft I follow this order when evaluating prospects.

Here's how I evaluate players:
1. OSA Potential - I find OSA to be slightly more reliable than my scout and this is publicly available information which will largely determine demand.
2. Scout potential - I use the scout to break ties among similar players, going with the guy who my scout has rated as good as OSA or better. Once I'm down into the 3rd-5th rounds I sometimes get a guy OSA says sucks but my scout loves. Maybe my scout is right, maybe he is wrong.
3. Current Ratings/Development/Stats - I like to see some good player development and stats showing that the guy is actually getting better and has a chance to hit his potential. Potential ratings are great, but if the guy is already showing slow/no development that isn't a good sign. This is usually where I break ties between college/HS players with similar potential. I'll take the college guy if he's got good development. College is pretty equivalent to A ball, so if he does great there I know he can start in AA.
4. Intangibles - When you're down into the ALL YELLOW GUYS with 40-45 bat and pitch ratings, you might as well look at intangibles and hope he gets a bump. FWIW, some decent players will fall because of bad intangibles too!

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I think I went over this in the draft thread but... In the draft I follow this order when evaluating prospects.

1. OSA Potential - I find OSA to be slightly more reliable than my scout and this is publicly available information which will largely determine demand.
2. Scout potential - I use the scout to break ties among similar players, going with the guy who my scout has rated as good as OSA or better. Once I'm down into the 3rd-5th rounds I sometimes get a guy OSA says sucks but my scout loves. Maybe my scout is right, maybe he is wrong.
3. Current Ratings/Development/Stats - I like to see some good player development and stats showing that the guy is actually getting better and has a chance to hit his potential. Potential ratings are great, but if the guy is already showing slow/no development that isn't a good sign. This is usually where I break ties between college/HS players with similar potential. I'll take the college guy if he's got good development. College is pretty equivalent to A ball, so if he does great there I know he can start in AA.
4. Intangibles - When you're down into the ALL YELLOW GUYS with 40-45 bat and pitch ratings, you might as well look at intangibles and hope he gets a bump. FWIW, some decent players will fall because of bad intangibles too!

I get it. So go with the scout, and if his stats seem shaky, believe!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Just to clarify, stats don't help evaluate potential, they help evaluate development. I only look at them to see if a player is meeting/exceeding his current ratings/development expectation. By his senior year in college, a WBL prospect should be earning LOTS OF WARS in college, IMO, otherwise I might question why his development is so slow that his BUM peers are outperforming him.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Just to clarify, stats don't help evaluate potential, they help evaluate development. I only look at them to see if a player is meeting/exceeding his current ratings/development expectation. By his senior year in college, a WBL prospect should be earning LOTS OF WARS in college, IMO, otherwise I might question why his development is so slow that his BUM peers are outperforming him.

I noticed that for example the OPS of a player in college will mirror his batting ratings though? So if those stats don't mirror what a scout or OSA is saying then it's a riskier proposition?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
They mirror his CURRENT bating ratings, not his potential. So you could have a guy with 80 potential power but 30 current power who doesn't hit many HRs in college. His potential is still 80, but his development is stalled for some reason.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

I just look for GOATS and hit the blue arrow next to their name.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I don't think it's clearly defined, but you can find hints of what it affects and how it interacts with other traits. I think the more vague they are on personality traits the better it is for the game tbh, so I'm glad they don't spell it out clearly.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Something only your "LEGENDARY" scout knows.

He's not with me anymore. I don't know if you know, but Ed Fowler retired and went into hiding. @Yankee151 and @Karl Hungus are working night and day to find him and entice him back, but as yet the only clue they have to his existence is a WBL shortstop who was also named Ed Fowler.

He was a great scout. The best scout. Better than @Travis7401 ' beloved Douglass Tagg. If we can't track him down then Karl and Yankee are going to work night and day to run various tests and algorithms in order to emulate his personality within another scout, and then sign him to my team.

At the moment all I have to work with is a mediocre guy who doesn't even value the great Liberatore Cairos who is projected to bring the championship to Paris within 5 years.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Everyone here other than me has LOW adaptability. None of you has got used to me yet maybe with the exception of @Yankee151 .....But then he's had years of me on the soccer forums.