• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 Coaching Hot Seat/ Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
A new corch doesn't typically keep the old staff. If they were under contract, they will get bought out.

Renegade

Charge on!
I'd imagine that Grobe agreed to come out of retirement and keep the staff for a big payday. No one is going to leave to come work for him; he's surely not the long-term guy. They just need a guy who will get their shit together in charge and let the Briles staff coach the games.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Baylor running a Grobe offense would be the worst idea of all time. I imagine they're keeping the staff they have for this year.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_29947353/mike-singletary-sonny-dykes-names-watch-baylor-looks

Is he really thad bad of a coach? He wasn't great as San Fran's HC, but he wasn't Phil Bennett bad. Hiring a guy to "heal the program" sure isn't the right way to go about things.
Singletary had the most TaLenTeD roster in the NFL and couldn't win shit. He didn't think QB was an important position. He hired some of the crappiest, old OCs ever. Maybe he learned from his mistakes but he was a complete disaster.

Grobe is a pure "good guy to get us through this shit" hire. No good coaches will want to go there for 2-3 years. Baylor could very well be good again this decade but any coach with good options isn't going there.

Craig7835

Singletary had the most TaLenTeD roster in the NFL and couldn't win shit. He didn't think QB was an important position. He hired some of the crappiest, old OCs ever. Maybe he learned from his mistakes but he was a complete disaster.

Grobe is a pure "good guy to get us through this shit" hire. No good coaches will want to go there for 2-3 years. Baylor could very well be good again this decade but any coach with good options isn't going there.

When he hired Jimmy Raye,whose specialty was the TASER offense?? Oh God. I forgot who the other guy was

Lightningwar

Administrator
Baylor going back into the dumper. Tejas will emerge better because of this. Then one has to wonder once Tejas is back how much success schools like Baylor had due to Tejas sucking so bad? Reminds me of WF, BC, and VT dominating the lost decade because FSU, Miami, sucked so bad and Clemson couldnt get out of its own way. FSU is back and Clemson actually finishes most games and we dont hear anything from those schools. Miami still sucks ass though. Which I think helps explain Duke the last couple years in that division.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad

If Baylor pays someone what they were paying Briles, they can get a lot of people to go there. If not they will be back to what they were before 2009.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
How is this list complete without Mike Riley? Nebraska expects 10 wins! Better deliver this year hahah

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
FoolishLimpAsiaticwildass_zpskjhjnnit.gif

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Not unless LSU triples whatever Bama is paying him.

Helton's seat, previously set to medium-high, is now on broil. However, barring any moral impropriety, or extremely egregious footbaw related scandal, we are likely stuck with this Paul Hackett clone for at least another year, possibly two through the 2018 season. :(

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Not unless LSU triples whatever Bama is paying him.

Helton's seat, previously set to medium-high, is now on broil. However, barring any moral impropriety, or extremely egregious footbaw related scandal, we are likely stuck with this Paul Hackett clone for at least another year, possibly two through the 2018 season. :(

Any chance these recent sexual assaults are going to be an Art Briles deal?

bruin

Helton isn't Swann's guy. So say they go 6-6, I could see the big boosters ponying up to get him out of there.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Helton isn't Swann's guy. So say they go 6-6, I could see the big boosters ponying up to get him out of there.

What is the length and buyout of his contract? Football coaches are usually one of the first casualties in a new AD. I see little reason for Helton to stick around unless he has some ridiculous buyout.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT

I think he's Nikias' (USC president) guy. Word was that Haden wanted to go after someone more high profile but Nikias said to hire Helton as the path of least resistance. Wondering how much leeway Swann has.

Still, with no specter of sanctions hanging over the program anymore, should be easier to attract a good corch to LA.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Not even SC would go after Briles. They are a huge program, they're not going after the most toxic coach in the country.

nofx94

I think he's Nikias' (USC president) guy. Word was that Haden wanted to go after someone more high profile but Nikias said to hire Helton as the path of least resistance. Wondering how much leeway Swann has.

Still, with no specter of sanctions hanging over the program anymore, should be easier to attract a good corch to LA.
I just really want Swann to not be meddlesome. It concerns me that he's at practice every day, especially the way Schuster has been playing

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
What is the length and buyout of his contract? Football coaches are usually one of the first casualties in a new AD. I see little reason for Helton to stick around unless he has some ridiculous buyout.

I don't know if details of his contract were ever released. I remember when it was announced, one report said it was a guaranteed 5 year contract, and another said it was a 3 year contract with a 2 year option if he hit certain performance standards.

It'd be expensive either way; though SC isn't hurting for cash.

The bigger problem would be the continued revolving door at Heritage Hall. Eventually you need to find a coach and stick with him. I'm not in favor of making moves just to make moves, and I don't think SC will ever get back to the top of the mountain without somebody being able to put down some routes, and hire/recruit to fit a certain strategy. The flip side, though, is if you're convinced already that Helton isn't the answer, do you just say "fuck it" and hit the reset button (again) now?

Renegade

Charge on!
I don't know if details of his contract were ever released. I remember when it was announced, one report said it was a guaranteed 5 year contract, and another said it was a 3 year contract with a 2 year option if he hit certain performance standards.

The bigger problem would be the continued revolving door at Heritage Hall. Eventually you need to find a coach and stick with him. I'm not in favor of making moves just to make moves, and I don't think SC will ever get back to the top of the mountain without somebody being able to put down some routes, and hire/recruit to fit a certain strategy. The flip side, though, is if you're convinced already that Helton isn't the answer, do you just say "fuck it" and hit the reset button (again) now?

Coach O, Coach O, Coach O...chant it with me...Coach O, Coach O, Coach O!

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT

If Nick Saban was coming to Los Angeles, then I'd say yes.

In all seriousness, I think it depends on whether you really think whoever you're going to hire next will be putting his name alongside Jones, McKay, Robinson and Carroll, or alongside other names like Tollner, Smith, Robinson II, or Hackett.

Of course, figuring that out is like picking stocks. If you know you've got a winner, then you go all in and put every dime you've got on him. But of course you're never sure. A guy who looks terrible early on (Carroll started 1-4, McKay only won somethibg like a total of 9 games his first two years) might win championships later, while a guy who looks terrific early (Smith went to 3 straight Rose Bowls his first 3 years) turns into shit later.

Right now I don't think there's any high-profile corch ready to come to USC and immediately make an impact. I also think Helton has not been given a fair shot to show what he can do. He's being judged on two games where he faced two of the most organized and powerful programs in CFB right now. He's a first year head coach with a first year OC, and being compared against Saban and David Shaw. It's a bit like comparing a rookie QB in his first game against a 10-year All-Pro veteran. Ain't no way the rookie is going to look good by comparison.

I think Helton deserves at least one more full year, just to allow him time to put his own mark on the program and try to instill some stability. What I've seen so far in his five games as the permanent head coach have not been encouraging, however. I'm convinced he's a Paul Hackett clone - a good man who is a decent coordinator/position coach, but not head coach material.

JAR201166

If Nick Saban was coming to Los Angeles, then I'd say yes.

In all seriousness, I think it depends on whether you really think whoever you're going to hire next will be putting his name alongside Jones, McKay, Robinson and Carroll, or alongside other names like Tollner, Smith, Robinson II, or Hackett.

Of course, figuring that out is like picking stocks. If you know you've got a winner, then you go all in and put every dime you've got on him. But of course you're never sure. A guy who looks terrible early on (Carroll started 1-4, McKay only won somethibg like a total of 9 games his first two years) might win championships later, while a guy who looks terrific early (Smith went to 3 straight Rose Bowls his first 3 years) turns into shit later.

Right now I don't think there's any high-profile corch ready to come to USC and immediately make an impact. I also think Helton has not been given a fair shot to show what he can do. He's being judged on two games where he faced two of the most organized and powerful programs in CFB right now. He's a first year head coach with a first year OC, and being compared against Saban and David Shaw. It's a bit like comparing a rookie QB in his first game against a 10-year All-Pro veteran. Ain't no way the rookie is going to look good by comparison.

I think Helton deserves at least one more full year, just to allow him time to put his own mark on the program and try to instill some stability. What I've seen so far in his five games as the permanent head coach have not been encouraging, however. I'm convinced he's a Paul Hackett clone - a good man who is a decent coordinator/position coach, but not head coach material.
Y'all should go after Hugh freeze

Brick

Fire corch twitter now. He is just an extension of Sarkiffin era which needs to end. Blow the culture up.

R2D2

GT hired a new AD so hopefully after PJ goes 3-9 they can show him and his outdated offense the door.

Renegade

Charge on!
GT hired a new AD so hopefully after PJ goes 3-9 they can show him and his outdated offense the door.

Ha, be careful what you wish for...Stansbury is best friends with Ted Roof and wanted to hire Roof to be GOL's successor at UCF. Stansbury was UCF's AD and O'Leary's lackey until he jetted for Oregon State. He got a few facilities updated, but largely he was a mediocre AD whose inspired a feeling of malaise. Also really good when he got drunk at a fan event and welcomed all of "Beaver Nation" to this UCF event.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Ha, be careful what you wish for...Stansbury is best friends with Ted Roof and wanted to hire Roof to be GOL's successor at UCF. Stansbury was UCF's AD and O'Leary's lackey until he jetted for Oregon State. He got a few facilities updated, but largely he was a mediocre AD whose inspired a feeling of malaise. Also really good when he got drunk at a fan event and welcomed all of "Beaver Nation" to this UCF event.

Sounds like he would fit in at Rutgers too.

R2D2

Would welcome Ted Roof's 6-40 career record if it means a new offensive scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.