• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 NBA Season: no IT ITT

zoltan

People hate on the Warriors because of the overwhelming success they've had seemingly out of nowhere. They leapfrogged teams like the Thunder, Spurs, and Clippers overnight and they did it with a flair for the dramatic. The Draymond Green over-emotion, the Steph Curry show boating, the team celebrations, no look three's, fancy passes etc. Then the best player on the team that was kind of in their way in the West, he joined forces with them to the chagrin of damn near everyone. Their fans take on their identity, that of a show boating front runner (band wagon), which makes them appear arrogant and annoying.

On top it all, they've been extremely fortunate with incredible timing. The salary cap increase right when KD becomes a FA again, all these hyper-efficient contracts from a few years back to their great players, the stars on that team's ability to co exist with one another, the re-rise of the three ball offense, everything has just fit so perfectly for them.

Everyone's got it twisted about Kyrie. He's not a PG at all. He's truly an undersized off guard.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Before the series: "LeBron James is gaining on Michael Jordan, the Cavs have only lost 1 game in the playoffs, and they beat this team you can argue that he is better than MJ."

If the Cavs get swept: "The Warriors have a super team and it's just not fair and they have ruined the league."
Strongly agree with both

GR8 2 B FL G8R

People hate the Warriors because their fanbase is a bunch of bandwagoning, douche tech bros and one of their best players is a trog nutkicker, not because they don't think they're doing something special lol
I have a Tim Hardaway jersey from the 9 Tre and I hate every team and everything

Tailback U

People hate on the Warriors because of the overwhelming success they've had seemingly out of nowhere. They leapfrogged teams like the Thunder, Spurs, and Clippers overnight and they did it with a flair for the dramatic. The Draymond Green over-emotion, the Steph Curry show boating, the team celebrations, no look three's, fancy passes etc. Then the best player on the team that was kind of in their way in the West, he joined forces with them to the chagrin of damn near everyone. Their fans take on their identity, that of a show boating front runner (band wagon), which makes them appear arrogant and annoying.

On top it all, they've been extremely fortunate with incredible timing. The salary cap increase right when KD becomes a FA again, all these hyper-efficient contracts from a few years back to their great players, the stars on that team's ability to co exist with one another, the re-rise of the three ball offense, everything has just fit so perfectly for them.

Everyone's got it twisted about Kyrie. He's not a PG at all. He's truly an undersized off guard.

They got here by great draft picks (Steph, Draymond, Klay, Barnes). That's the number 1 reason. The next reason is great coaching. Lastly, signing free agents to make them a complete team like Barbosa, Iggy, Livingston, and making great moves like trading Monta Ellis for Bogut when Bogut was injured and not trading Klay Thompson + Picks for Kevin Love.

They were hated before Durant signed with them, that just upped it even more. But it's common for people to hate on the best. Same thing happened to Miami.

I remember when Durant signed with them last year, a few people in this thread were talking about how they weren't going to be as good because there wouldn't be enough shots for everyone and Durant won't fit in, etc. Now they dominate and everyone whines.

I used to be like this when I was younger. I used to hate Tom Brady and the Patriots after the tuck rule. Now I'm thankful to have gotten to watch him play and respect what they've done.

I really don't know how anyone can't be a fan of watching such great team basketball on both sides of the ball. But some people will always find something to cry about.

Plus this team has only won 1 championship. But I get that people typically root for the underdog when their team isn't involved.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I enjoy watching them because I like seeing how they operate. I can easily see why casual fans would hate it though, it's boring as fuck most of the time. The only way to compete with them is to get your own big 4 which just waters down the league even more. It's a problem for the NBA and I think Warriors fans are the only ones who don't think so.

We'll see if the contract situation solves the problem for the league but if it doesn't they'll have to do something about max contracts in the next CBA

Tailback U

I enjoy watching them because I like seeing how they operate. I can easily see why casual fans would hate it though, it's boring as fuck most of the time. The only way to compete with them is to get your own big 4 which just waters down the league even more. It's a problem for the NBA and I think Warriors fans are the only ones who don't think so.

We'll see if the contract situation solves the problem for the league but if it doesn't they'll have to do something about max contracts in the next CBA

If they had won last year and win it this year then I'd be more inclined to say that it's a problem for the league.

But yeah I agree I can see how it is annoying for the casual fan.

I really did think the Cavs would put up a better effort, though. Thompson disappearing, Kyrie must be hurt, and all of a sudden the whole team is cold after putting up crazy numbers throughout the playoffs.

LeBron gonna be on 3 day rest and go full shaq mode tomorrow night though and I'm guessing the refs will let 'em do whatever they can to stay in the game so this series isn't over in 4 or 5.

Last edited:

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
If they got rid of the max contract (which will never happen) it'd fix the issue extremely quickly.

The Warriors the last two years are essentially the same team as the one that lost to the KKKlipz in the first round of 2014. The only difference is they went from a TV analyst acting like a coach to a gr8 staff led by Kerr.

The addition of KD obviously put them to the next level. But this isn't like the stars aligning together in Miami or Cleveland getting LBJ/Kyrie + 2 more 1st overall picks handed to them. They were just put together perfectly without a top 5 pick (the reason I think tanking isn't some genius strategy). They made some good trades and some really smart FA signings (Iggy, Livingston). Getting Draymond in the 2nd round helped as did Curry's ankles getting hurt constantly.

You couldn't really stop them from happening or replicate what they did. You just need a smart front office, great FO/coach and gr8 drafting. It's not easy.

sayo

YEET
Yeah, lots of people are overreacting to this. Sure, they might string together a few ships in a row but the possibility of another franchise catching lightning in a bottle like this is next to impossible.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I remember when Durant signed with them last year, a few people in this thread were talking about how they weren't going to be as good because there wouldn't be enough shots for everyone and Durant won't fit in, etc. Now they dominate and everyone whines.

I said there would be an adjustment period (and there was for a while), but I don't remember saying they wouldn't be as good all season. If I did I'll own up to it. They've barely broken a sweat these playoffs.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
probably, but it can cut into their money while it plays out if casual fans stop watching. we will find out just how long this thing rides when curry and durant reup though.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

If they got rid of the max contract (which will never happen) it'd fix the issue extremely quickly.

The Warriors the last two years are essentially the same team as the one that lost to the KKKlipz in the first round of 2014. The only difference is they went from a TV analyst acting like a coach to a gr8 staff led by Kerr.

The addition of KD obviously put them to the next level. But this isn't like the stars aligning together in Miami or Cleveland getting LBJ/Kyrie + 2 more 1st overall picks handed to them. They were just put together perfectly without a top 5 pick (the reason I think tanking isn't some genius strategy). They made some good trades and some really smart FA signings (Iggy, Livingston). Getting Draymond in the 2nd round helped as did Curry's ankles getting hurt constantly.

You couldn't really stop them from happening or replicate what they did. You just need a smart front office, great FO/coach and gr8 drafting. It's not easy.
Gr8 post

CJ_24

Let's wait until after game three before we "crown their ass." Jeebus, how many times are people going to fall into this trap. Playoff series do not start until the road team wins.

zoltan

The Warriors play a beautiful brand of basketball. Each of their players has such a perfect fit for the schemes on offense and defense, it's kind of amazing to watch how effortless they make it look on offense, while playing such stifling defense because it's usually one or the other. They truly dominate the game on both facets of the floor.

Lebron is still far better than any one of their single pieces, but the sum of their parts outweigh his equalizer factor by quite a large margin.

I really do think Kyrie is injured. He has chronic patellar tendinitis in his left knee, and if you know anything about that, it never really seems to go away completely. That, coupled with various other injuries to his left leg over the years (ankle, fractured kneecap, hyperextended knee) only enhance the propensity for aggravation of that tendon area which can be infuriating and extremely uncomfortable to play with. Especially with his particular playstyle on the offensive end.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The Warriors win and are boring AF. They are like Spain. I guess that's doing something special?

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
I really do think Kyrie is injured. He has chronic patellar tendinitis in his left knee, and if you know anything about that, it never really seems to go away completely. That, coupled with various other injuries to his left leg over the years (ankle, fractured kneecap, hyperextended knee) only enhance the propensity for aggravation of that tendon area which can be infuriating and extremely uncomfortable to play with. Especially with his particular playstyle on the offensive end.

Kyrie is fine. Klay has been a monster on D these playoffs

Tailback U

I said there would be an adjustment period (and there was for a while), but I don't remember saying they wouldn't be as good all season. If I did I'll own up to it. They've barely broken a sweat these playoffs.

I'm not sure who it was, but it was clear that the Warriors had no real answer for LeBron (nobody does) last season as he had one of the best finals performances in history. So to combat the best player in the world and one of the greatest players of all time, they went and got Durant and people mad about it. Anyway, tired of that discussion.

I am hoping for a good game tonight. I'd like to see the Cavs win 1 so the Warriors can win it at home.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
The Warriors win and are boring AF. They are like Spain. I guess that's doing something special?
Boring af? What? I don't like them that much, but they play beautiful basketball. If you think they're boring you just don't really like basketball imo

NML

Pretty sure that's what Lando was saying with Spain.

They won every game for like four years haha. There was rarely drama, mostly them controlling the game the entire time. I think because they won 1-0 or 2-0, in retrospect people say they weren't an offensive team like GS is. However, they revolutionized the game and at the time were considered the most dangerous offensive team of all time.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Pretty sure that's what Lando was saying with Spain.

They won every game for like four years haha. There was rarely drama, mostly them controlling the game the entire time. I think because they won 1-0 or 2-0, in retrospect people say they weren't an offensive team like GS is. However, they revolutionized the game and at the time were considered the most dangerous offensive team of all time.
This and the exact things @adchester is saying is what people said about Spain. Such beautiful!

bruin

Lonzo had dinner with Luke, Magic and Pelinka last night in Venice. Enjoy your time now, DUBS!

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
not for 5 years you dont. its nice now, but how many times can you watch a game to see how they slip screens or rotate on defense
This is fair, I watch them maybe once a month outside of playoffs. Watching them every night would probably get old.

Brick

The Warriors are so unstoppable that they won one shampship, maybe two now! So boring and uncompetitive! If they were Lakerzzzzz or Boston BIRTHRIGHT @pavel type people would be cumming all over the franchise and say nothing of the sort. Just a great franchise Franchisin'!

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Everyone but the Lakers fans would be saying the same. So pretty much the same situation except more obnoxious.

Warriors have only have had one year to win a shampship though, and they are currently 14-0 in the playoffs. It's not engraved yet of course, but they are 14-0 and won 67 games without KD for 19 of them :laughing:

This is the best example of a 14 year old kid creating a super team and playing on rookie we've seen in the modern era of American sports.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yes. I've lived in the Bay Area most of my life and the Warriors even when total absolute shit, they still had great crowds. 2007 series vs. Mavericks was one of the most crazy crowds the NBA has ever seen.

Well, okay.

But what I said is why I hate them.

zoltan

The Warriors play by play announcer is despicable.

Thank goodness he isn't allowed to do the NBA finals broadcast.

Reactions: doh

sayo

YEET
Warriors guys aren't THAT bad. There are some awful local broadcasts (Rockets and Celtics come to mind).

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Thudner guys have the worst corniest sayings in the league. I still remember when Harden was still here the white one said something like "I had lost my mending kit earlier today but I think I know where it went because Harden threaded the needle on that pass!"

sayo

YEET
Kyrie is playing like an idiot. So many forced shots against good defenders (Klay).

Love has been fantastic. Especially on d.

Klay just doing Klay things.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Warriors guys aren't THAT bad. There are some awful local broadcasts (Rockets and Celtics come to mind).
He sucks but yeah the NBA is home to the worst.

The officiating in this game signals how desperate the NBA is for this series to go more than 4.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Thudner guys have the worst corniest sayings in the league. I still remember when Harden was still here the white one said something like "I had lost my mending kit earlier today but I think I know where it went because Harden threaded the needle on that pass!"

LMAO, Brian Davis has grown on me the past few seasons. Yeah, he's corny af, but I find it hilarious.