• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Iron

11:42pm green flag at the Coke Zero 400
11:41pm (8:41 local) NASCAR calls the final race of the Round of 8

ok

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
11:42pm green flag at the Coke Zero 400
11:41pm (8:41 local) NASCAR calls the final race of the Round of 8

ok

Need that Final 4 set before the end of the NFL game so NBCSN can have a full breakdown of the GAME 7 EXCITEMENT!~!~!~!

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
Was at the race today. Rain delay was awful. They got the track basically completely dry and called drivers to cars twice and then it started raining pretty hard again. Heard multiple drivers/teams on the radio say they knew the race was never gonna go back green no matter how much/little it rained because the 88 was out front. But you all knew that already.

Wolfman21

Was at the race today. Rain delay was awful. They got the track basically completely dry and called drivers to cars twice and then it started raining pretty hard again. Heard multiple drivers/teams on the radio say they knew the race was never gonna go back green no matter how much/little it rained because the 88 was out front. But you all knew that already.

:rolleyes:

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I think if NASCAR were going to play favorites, they would have held off on that caution flag at Talladega for another 1-2 seconds. It was obvious to everyone that Junior was going to have the lead as soon as they took the green. He was on the inside and got a good restart. Even Junior himself said he knew he was going to win the race when Logano chose the outside line to restart in.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
can't wait for harvick to dominate homestead again :sad:

Gordon has actually done a lot of dominating there the last few years. He won in 2012 starting from 15th, and had the car to beat last year leading over 160 laps. Harvick only led ~50. If not for pitting on the last caution and going from the lead back to 24th, he prolly would have won that race too.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Pretty much sums up the season for McLaren:

1447525595023.jpg

Wolfman21

I've seen people posting pictures of them wearing 24 gear with Chase Elliotts name draped across it and the colors blue and red with white letters. Doesn't seem real

Iron

Kentucky reportedly going to be repaved sometime (probably after Cup race in 16)...surprising since how good that race was with the package they'll be running next year.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Kentucky reportedly going to be repaved sometime (probably after Cup race in 16)...surprising since how good that race was with the package they'll be running next year.

I bet its because of the front straight. They could save some money by tearing up the front straight and just leaving the dirt. Can't be any worse than it is now.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Is he really never going to race again? I find that hard to believe considering his age. Think he will end up doing something like Mark Martin and running a few races and then even going full time again?

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
FYI: If you'll aren't following Mark Martin on Twitter, you are really missing out. He's a rap aficionado, and tweets out some gold.

-YTC

Wolfman21

Is he really never going to race again? I find that hard to believe considering his age. Think he will end up doing something like Mark Martin and running a few races and then even going full time again?

Hes gonna be in the broadcast booth next year for the first half of the season. With health and his young kids in mind, i don't think you'll see him full time. I'll never count out him coming back and running a race...however if he wins the whole damn thing this year, id bet he never suits up again

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Man, didn't realize Gordon won so many races before the turn of the millennium. His win in the 1999 Daytona 500 was win #43. I think once he had kids, the real magic was gone. Once these guys have something to live for, they don't drive like this anymore:

Except for Earnhardt of course. He grew up poor and when he was young, would borrow money on Friday and had to win to pay it back on Monday. He had everything in the world and still raced like his career depended on it. Can't teach hunger.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Hes gonna be in the broadcast booth next year for the first half of the season. With health and his young kids in mind, i don't think you'll see him full time. I'll never count out him coming back and running a race...however if he wins the whole damn thing this year, id bet he never suits up again

Sports car racing? Would be a great addition to a 24 hrs. of Daytona/LeMans team.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I believe I heard someone ask him about Indianapolis, and he said no. Wouldn't be surprised to see him show up at the 24 Hours of Daytona or Le Mans, maybe for Chevrolet's factory Corvette program. It'd be cool to see him in an Audi or a Porsche prototype doe. Not sure what other kind of racing he'd want to do. F1 would be great, but it doesn't work like that. I don't think he'd touch Indycar with a 10 foot pole. Maybe Rallycross? If Ken Block and Piquet Jr. can do it, surely he can too.

Iron

I could see him running Eldora next year (in a truck fielded by Tony Stewart or Jr.) or Fall Martinsville on the NASCAR side. Although any Sprint Cup car can't technically be entered by Hendrick if he were to run next year, so he'd have to run under like JR Motorsports etc.

Iron

No matter what happens Sunday, I'm just glad Jeff got one more win. Would have sucked to see him go out winless, and although he should really be like 10-13th in pts, he will go out in the top 5 in points for the first time since 2009.

Iron

Practice cut short to due to rain, Gordon never makes a Q trim lap and is 30th in practice. So if Q rained out later today, starting deep in the field.

Iron

Wood Brothers running full Cup season next year with Ryan Blaney, so ROTY gets more interesting

Meanwhile, Roush has lost long time sponsor Scott's/Ortho for next season

Wolfman21

Ryan Blaney to cup with having never run a full xfinity series year. Interesting. I think he has the talent, I see a lack of consistency in him though. Lookin forward to ROTY battle next year between he and Chase though. They're good buds so I know they'll enjoy it as well. Should make them both better

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Look at the crop of youngsters that'll be taking the reins from guys like Gordon, Johnson, Edwards, Kenseth, Biffle, Kurt Busch, etc. in the coming years:

Larson
Dillon Bros.
Elliott
Blaney
Erik Jones
Buescher
Wallace
Suarez
Allgaier

I don't think Bayne and Stenhouse will be much of a factor unless Roush picks up its game, or they leave.

Iron

Gordon has a good long run car as evident in qualifying yesterday. He missed the top 24 on his initial run in round 1, then wound up being 5th in round 3 w/ 2 extra laps on tires. In final practice, best 10-lap average.

Iron

Only five cars on the lead lap in the Xfinity race at 92 laps complete. Third place more than 20 seconds back of Larson.

Iron

Mike Harmon who owns the #74, is pulling first-time starter Tim Viens (who has spun out, sped on pit road back-to-back times and got warned for minimum speed), and is going to finish the race himself.