• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Copy of Larry Culpepper Golden Wax Vagina Trophy Championship - Ohio State v. Oregon

R2D2

Cardale Jones could declare for the 2015 NFL Draft. Went from 3rd string QB to potential 3-5th round pick in three games. LAWD.

Wooly

Corch Irving Fryar ran the ball 61 times, as I expected. He saw those shitty Oregon LBs and just raped them with those counter plays and punished the aggressive Oregon DL with trap plays. I know @Wooly hates the "spread" offenses, but Power, Counter trey, Trap, etc run from the gun over and over and over had to give him at least a semi?

Most of all, Irving Fryar's offense is fucking unstoppable when they have a QB who can successfully run around like an asshole. 3rd and 7? Everyone in the fucking stadium knew big mong was going to pull it down and attempt to run for the first down... but they really couldn't stop it. Running over the 310 lb NT who dropped as a spy was the baddest ass thing I've seen a QB do since Tebow magic. Even when he came up a little short, he made it 4th and 1 and you knew he was going to convert. That's so demoralizing.

It did my friend, it did! I am spent.

This was the best possible outcome for me, because it showed how much our arguments and opinions of CFB are just guesswork. OSU was considered inferior by losing to VT, or at least unworthy. There were plenty of arguments that they shouldn't have been included over TCU or Baylor. Those were fair arguments too, at the time, but it shows how little we know. OSU not only beat arguably the best two teams in the country to win a title, but they did it with a 3rd string QB with something like 2 starts to his name. Wow! Yeah, we don't know nearly as much as we pretend when we make sweeping statements in September, whether that be in the AP poll or fansites. These playoff are only a blast to watch, but they give both opportunity and legitimacy to a sports sorely lacking both. So in conclusion...an 8 team playoff can't get here fast enough!

Oh yeah, and one more thing, SEC tears are delicious. Maybe this is how things would have happened if you didn't get an automatic vote every year into the old MNC game.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Key difference in this game vs FSU. The tOSU defense only allowed Oregon to score 10 points off turnovers. It is utterly amazing to me how Oregon manages to get the right bounce on fumbles or tipped interceptions. That QB fumble flop was like watching Winston. I mean really? How many times have people seen that play in their life? Yet Oregon manages to create the play twice in two games?

Anyways, take away the turnovers and Oregons defense is terrible, just terrible. They were manhandled all night and couldn't tackle squat. There were a couple plays 4 guys were hanging on Elliot and they still couldn't bring him down. Soft soft. The only way they stopped the tOSU offense was via turnovers. And how do they get gassed? Don't they go up against the offense? They were sucking wind by halftime.

Offensively key drops by Oregon and an awful 3rd down conversion rate finished them.

tOSU looked solid all night minus the turnovers. This game could had been a 50 point beat down if tOSU didn't turn it over.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
2pq9l5h.jpg

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
God damnit what does System QB even mean? Every NFL team has a fucking system too.

Maybe instead of System QB they should just call them college QBs who spent their careers playing against shitty teams(which Mariotta did not for the most part).

evil1

I was most impressed with Jesus Ezekiel Jesus (that's from the bible, yo). Wow, he ran all over the Oregon defense. He may have had a better three game stretch than Jones.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
God damnit what does System QB even mean? Every NFL team has a fucking system too.

Maybe instead of System QB they should just call them college QBs who spent their careers playing against shitty teams(which Mariotta did not for the most part).

Colt Brennan, Andre Ware, Timmy Chang, Ty Detmer?

Brick

oregon wasted their chances in the first half after the first drive. the first half was a half of blown opportunities for both teams. stupid turnovers by OSU and oregon wasn't cashing in as they usually do.

tOSU had two legit punt stops in the half, but 4 of these drives mang.

drive 2, nelson drops wide open first down. punt.
drive 3, stanford drops wide open huge play. punt.

i think those changed drops changed the game. the offense was rolling there. they looked excited. even on the first drive they had two fumbles.

drive 5, stopped on downs at the goal line.
drive 7, drive 66 yards for field goal.

you can't get 3 points out of that.

the defensive gameplan was fine, but jones was the true robo qb. oregon doesn't have any linebackers to make plays against the run, and you saw that here. they pressured him well, but when he got away from the pressure there was no one left to tackle him.

ohio state's offensive line and elliott won the game. i wanted to turn the tv off every third down, because you knew jones would truck some poor dude. the front 3 on the defensive line did what they could, but got gassed.

sucks man. i don't know when they'll get the opportunity again, if ever.

ohio state's defense did a good job of limiting big runs by oregon, and held on third downs. that was enough.

PSUEagle

The Film Room thing with the coaches was pretty good last night. My only complaint is Spielman: dude was wrong at least half the time about what was happening (dumbass kept misidentifying routes, incorrectly labeling runs, etc). And on top of that he kept doing the whole bullshit fan oversimplification about what "he'd do" ("If I'm Oregon I'm selling out for da run" "I'm blitzing all da gaps"). It was funny listening to him make some declarative statement and then have Mason or whoever basically ignore him and describe what actually happened.

Dan Mullen had the best presence among the four. Not as good as Kevin Sumlin last year (that dude could be a superstar in media if the whole coaching thing doesn't work out at TAMU) but he was pretty comfortable explaining things and describing the thought processes of the play callers in the game. Also enjoyed Riley, but he seemed content to let others do most of the speaking. Really, everyone was on point except for Spielman. Even Luginbill was really good as host: kept things going and didn't interject unless it was relevant (like prompting the coaches to explain what terms like "Formation into the Boundary" or "Unbalanced" means).

PSUEagle

Oregon's linebackers were the biggest problem in this game for the Ducks. I came away impressed with Armstead: he's inconsistent but you can see why he may be a 1st rounder soon. OSU killed them on misdirection: must have run counter ten times the second half and averaged over ten yards per carry. FSU also hurt them there, but that game got so out of hand that it didn't matter.

Defensively, Ohio State simply had better players up front than Oregon on their offensive line. OSU has recruited at a monster level the last few years and it paid off with all of the beasts they have upfront. They whipped Oregon in the second half.

PSUEagle

Like that it frees up the center.

It's a good way to slow down a guy that wants to get upfield. Or just make him paranoid.

DL in general aren't effective when they worry about someone blindsiding them. All of the cut blocking on the backside of runs was a big part in making the Shanahan offense in the 90's so good on the ground.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
The whole tone of the game was summed up, IMO, by that one play (think it was 3rd down for OSU) where Jones had to scramble, Oregon #56 came up to make the tackle, he hit Jones head-on, very cleanly, but he basically bounced off Jones, who then fell forward another 2-3 yards and got the first down. That was some awesome footbaw.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Because DL are stupid for the most part. If you are unblocked at the snap it's for a reason. A trap is coming, yo. They get all giddy and think someone forgot to block them and run upfield like a mindless ogre making the hole even bigger. In high school especially it's so easy to trap dumb DL. I used to corch my guards to just let them go unblocked if they were too far upfield. Turn up in the hole and lead the way.

Ander1345

Hard for D linemen to not be really aggressive too. Kind of just up to them to know when something is up.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Because DL are stupid for the most part. If you are unblocked at the snap it's for a reason. A trap is coming, yo. They get all giddy and think someone forgot to block them and run upfield like a mindless ogre making the hole even bigger. In high school especially it's so easy to trap dumb DL. I used to corch my guards to just let them go unblocked if they were too far upfield. Turn up in the hole and lead the way.

All money is not good money

CJ_24

Congrats to Ohio State on their first legitimate title since 1970.

I just came here specifically to make the same statement (although I was going to eschew "legitimate" and simply state, correctly, that it's their first title since 1970)

great minds think alike :smoking:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
They have a couple series with that Hback/Blocking Back alignment and I love every play of it, because the Blocking Back was the key element to the WILD @kella formation. Having him so close to the line really conceals him from the LBs after the snap and makes the read tougher than if he was just lined up as a FB. He can block playside or he can come back across on counters and traps. You're basically using that player as an extra pulling guard, but he starts in a position where the defense can't keep him from pulling by getting into his legs or penetrating the line through his hip pocket. All of the benefits of pulling guards, none of the downside. Plus all of the blocking angles are better than if you lined him up as a normal FB (if you don't have a normal FB in addition).

They ran that quick inside trap (wham), a similar counter play with a pulling guard kicking out the backside DE and the Hback pulling through the hole, a power scheme where the Hback kicks out the playside DE and the guard pulls through the hole, Counter trey where the two guard pull and the Hback seals the backside pursuit, then various zone blocking plays with the Hback either leads playside or comes back across the formation to block the backside DE or pulls around the backside DE and leads the QB on a keep. My favorite play for short yardage doe (and I've seen Irvang Fryar run it) is to motion the H-back over behind the guard and snap it directly to him while the QB and RB execute fakes in the backfield. That's a guaranteed first down.

Cincinnati made great use of the H-back zone series against Denver. Von Miller was the backside edge player they kept placing in conflict with the H-back and it completely took him out of the game.

@Southpaw right about the Dline too, even smart players get excited to penetrate deep into the backfield (he he he) for a split second before the alarm bells go off and it is already too late. Dumb players (Dline is one of the dumbest positions in football) over penetrate so far that you don't even need to block them. At least the trapper still has to block the smart ones. I mean all it takes is the initial burst upfield to put you out of position and on a quick trap it is already too late. Running that as a constraint play slows up Dline penetration against all your other plays and makes them more successful as well. I'll never understand why pro teams that use I formation stopped running the FB trap as a constraint play against hard charging Dlines. Every few seasons in the NFL, someone will hand the ball to Bob the Fullback on a trap and he'll rumble for 30 yards and the DL will then slow up on everything else. Oakland was the last team I saw run it against Denver a few seasons ago and it worked so well. That Reece dude had like 60 yards on 3 carries. San Diego did it to Denver like 4 or 5 seasons ago too. Even if it gets "stuffed" it still goes for a couple yards just because the FB is hard to tackle. Love constraint plays like that with high upside, no downside, and positive influence on your base plays.

Last edited:

Ander1345

Man FB trap was my favorite play out of the Flex Bone in the one NCAA football game where the CPU didn't automatically pinch their line(2012 I think?).

Play was gas and set up the entire playbook.

PSUEagle

The TE's positioning gave away what he would do last night. If he's off the ball and lined up directly behind the offensive tackle he's going to execute a wham or sift block (sift meaning he blocks the backside DE in zone). If he's in more of a traditional 1x1 relationship with the tackle off the ball though he's either blocking front side or pulling on a counter play.

Most "spread" teams have glaring tendencies like this: problem is getting lined up quickly enough on defense to have time to see it pre-snap and diagnose it.

Mame YO

slings rocks
All I can hope for is another shot. When they lost in 2010 I didn't think they would ever make it back, and they did. And they squandered their chances in the first half, and didn't have much of a chance after that. The defense couldn't stop the run, and the offense couldn't run. That was the key and it went against Oregon. This was almost like watching a classic Oregon win, except from the other side. It sucks.

missing those receivers really hurt too.