• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

FIFA 17 Pro Clerbs Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
They were ordering a pizza so I assumed it'd be longer but they were ordering it to their house so we are strong now

NML

Is it time for a come to jesus discussion? Or should we save it for 18?

Last few runs have been rough

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
oh_yeah_obama.gif

NML

Remember, everything should be in the form of either a compliment or criticism sandwich. Don't completely roast someone.

I'll post mine shortly

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
yeah i also dont qualify for a sandwich, but you can just give me the bread slices of criticism

NML

Yeah these are compliment sandwiches because we've been terrible and I don't think I could come up with two positives for everyone.

First off, across the board, we have got to stop turning the ball over in midfield. This is prime puber counter goal territory. That brings me to my first corching point - MISS LONG! Pubers don't give up as many cheap goals because they just hit through ball after through ball. If they roll to our keeper, it's no big deal, they still have 11 behind the ball. When you get it taken off you as a midfielder, it's likely 3 v 4 going the other way - but our CPU defenders are so bad and slow that we are not in a good spot. Hit that long ball over the top or take the shot from 35 out. Both of those are preferable to getting it stolen. This will also save our legs.

Second corching point - play backwards when there's nothing on. Too often we see this as an opportunity to try and go 1v1 and that leads to turnovers. This is especially useful if we have 5 or more. When I was playing holding in the 4-1-4-1, I tried to shift with the ball and always be an option back. So, if ur in that holding mid spot, drop off - ur not there to score goals. If you do, they should be long shots. I understand that when we don't have the human back there it's a little scarier, but it's still often the better choice.

Third - calm ur tits with the call for pass button. The biggest mistake we make here is hitting it when they aren't facing us. Again - DONT CALL FOR IT IF THEY ARENT FACING YOU. This is practically a guaranteed turnover. I understand the button delay or the "call for it but they were already passing it to you" turnovers. That's not what I'm referring to.

Okay, people specific stuff

Sayo
- as a striker, you need to be more of an option. Since we almost exclusively play with one up top, the offense really needs to play through you. We don't play puber ball, so sprinting at the backline is mostly a waste. That should be a tool we have, not our go to
- marked improvement recently. There's still room to grow but it's worth acknowledging that ur at least trying to git gud
- on the wing, don't just assume a cross is the right decision. It's not a super powerful tool this year, and the situation has to be right - namely, a striker who has found space between the CBs

Sour
- too many skill moves. This is especially true if you aren't in the final third on the wing. There, okay go ahead, a turnover isn't a big deal. At midfield, just get the ball off ur feet.
- you clearly have ability and seem to understand the game. That's a huge start, it's just about understanding ur role since you don't control all 11
- to piggyback on that, you don't control all 11. When ur used to playing other modes, this is a big adjustment. People aren't where you expect. Playing seasons or FUT, you get very use to knowing where your team is going to be. Get use to using ur radar to have a better idea of where everyone is.

OU
- start using the shield button. It seems like basically every time you immediately turn into the defender. This is a killer, and the thing most likely to produce audible groans from ur teammates.
- when you play mong striker and keep it simple, it works well. Unfortunately it's a bit nerfed this year, but that just means it'll likely be OP for 18.
- when ur mong striker, don't play CB. I know as attacking mid I often find myself ahead of you. Stay high, ur our outlet. Since ur 6'7", you don't need to check to the ball, because we don't need to play ur feet (and honestly, don't want to)

Gator
- ur performance enhancers aren't working
- probably our best "I understand my role" player when sober (or relatively sober). You do a great job at keeping it simple and staying within ur comfort zone
- mong cycle hits you hard, bro

Kella
- probably our biggest drop off once ur in the cycle
- probably our best all around player. Versatile, but great in the middle. Almost always in the right spot
- occasionally over confident with the ball. Especially when drunk

NML
- also one to take the mong cycle hard
- insert humble brag. I'm a good finisher
- I take the "long shots are okay" too far

I haven't played with kings or Orlando in a while, so tough for me to add anything there. Didn't play with Robert.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
OU
- start using the shield button. It seems like basically every time you immediately turn into the defender. This is a killer, and the thing most likely to produce audible groans from ur teammates.
- when you play mong striker and keep it simple, it works well. Unfortunately it's a bit nerfed this year, but that just means it'll likely be OP for 18.
- when ur mong striker, don't play CB. I know as attacking mid I often find myself ahead of you. Stay high, ur our outlet. Since ur 6'7", you don't need to check to the ball, because we don't need to play ur feet (and honestly, don't want to)

Now do one for the positions I have played more than 2 games. Unless you mean the mong striker who is 6'1 like every run I've been striker aside from Saturday

NML

I could say more, both individually and as a group, but I know I could PLAY BETTER myself and don't want to be too critical when I'm not great. It is especially tough for the corch in me to not come out when we play (or after), but at the end of the day it is a game and I don't want to make it not fun. If ur generally looking for help to improve when we play, let me know and I can shine some light then.

In addition, I know some of you hate it, but FUT would help some of you'll. Both modes are played on the "fast" speed setting, versus seasons (and likely offline) which are normal (or slow if you prefer). Also, FUT has a higher quality of players at the top, so even by D5 you see some ability, and D1 are the best fifa players in the world. Outside of D1 and maybe D2 on seasons, and the occasional player along the way, everyone is trash (IMO anyways).

NML

Now do one for the positions I have played more than 2 games. Unless you mean the mong striker who is 6'1 like every run I've been striker aside from Saturday

On the wing, ur biggest problems are 1) turning into the defender and 2) not getting the ball off ur feet after the first touch. The fullback is almost always on backwards, and a CM should always check to you.

We could do a better job at checking to the ball as well. I notice a difference when we have a pair in the middle that's more conservative and will just be options, versus people who try and play as a second striker, making runs behind the back line.

The guidelines for a 6'1" striker is similar to 6'7", except checking to the ball is needed. Still not behind our CMs doe

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I was just giving you a hard time because two critiques referenced one run, but one of them did apply to the other striker build I play consistently which is staying forward. I've done that for the most part the last week or so because Kella got so mad, and it does help. I get called offside a lot because it's hard to judge when I'm not on the screen.

I refuse to stop calling for passes.

I've been turning into defenders for 4 years now, I wouldn't hold your breath on that one either.

NML

One thing we do better this year than in the past is our spacing. We do (and always will) have the occasional running for the same ball thing, but generally we keep to our positions. In the past it seemed like we had 5 center attacking mids all the time

NML

And it's a good point that, at the end of the day, it's ur decision whether you take these "tips" or not. If you play twice a month when ur drunk and just want to score spectacular goals and lofted through ball assists, I won't fault you.

It may bring back the secret turkeys doe...

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
And it's a good point that, at the end of the day, it's ur decision whether you take these "tips" or not. If you play twice a month when ur drunk and just want to score spectacular goals and lofted through ball assists, I won't fault you.

It may bring back the secret turkeys doe...

This is why I'm not better mostly. I only play when we do so there's no way I'm going to get measurably better unless we go on a binge and play 2-3 times a week like we have been these past few. So there's a chance I'll gain a skill point in awareness soon if we keep it up, but I'll lose it again after weeks of not playing.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
yeah, we need a west coast turkeys. Maybe condors? Let's do a quick FACK CHECK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condor

They are able to fly after six months, but continue to roost and hunt with their parents until age two, when they are displaced
seems legit
Sexual maturity and breeding behavior do not appear in the condor until 5 or 6 years of age.
yoooooo....
There is a well-developed social structure within large groups of condors, with competition to determine a 'pecking order' by body language, competitive play behavior, and a wide variety of vocalizations, even though the condor has no voice box.
this is clerbs to the letter, even down to the "wide variety of vocalizations," and, what I assume, are busted-ass mic issues
On the wing the movements of the condor are graceful. The lack of a large sternum to anchor correspondingly large flight muscles identifies it physiologically as a primary soarer. The birds flap their wings on rising from the ground, but after attaining a moderate elevation they seem to sail on the air.
FLY CONDORS FLY
In the wild they are intermittent eaters, often going for a few days without eating, then gorging themselves on several kilograms at once, sometimes to the point of being unable to lift off the ground
agreed

California_Condor.jpg

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
I had mic issues that were a disaster, then I lost interest. Plus you guys play too early. This year I'm thinking I'll be involved, tho.

NML

This is why I'm not better mostly. I only play when we do so there's no way I'm going to get measurably better unless we go on a binge and play 2-3 times a week like we have been these past few. So there's a chance I'll gain a skill point in awareness soon if we keep it up, but I'll lose it again after weeks of not playing.

That's true. When we don't play much, it's tough to get better. This is a nice run to have before 18 comes out though

Also, I'll be on tonight (sober) if we want to run some games to win

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Wide variety of vocalizations = playing yakety sax and Cavemen YouTube vids over the mic

Does any record of this night exist? Still the most fun 4-6 hours of vidya ever, except maybe that time I got hot with dhalsim at Uncle Howies Pizza and ran shit

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
that Condor wiki article almost reads like parody

"In the wild they are intermittent eaters, often going for a few days without eating, then gorging themselves on several kilograms at once, sometimes to the point of being unable to lift off the ground"

this is incredible :laughing:

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Does party chat come through on twitch streams?

If people "opt in" to having their voice heard in the party while streaming, then yes. There's a distinct setting for it.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Does any record of this night exist? Still the most fun 4-6 hours of vidya ever, except maybe that time I got hot with dhalsim at Uncle Howies Pizza and ran shit

Christ I don't think so. I think it was just before recording easily on the console was a thing.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Yeah these are compliment sandwiches because we've been terrible and I don't think I could come up with two positives for everyone.

First off, across the board, we have got to stop turning the ball over in midfield. This is prime puber counter goal territory. That brings me to my first corching point - MISS LONG! Pubers don't give up as many cheap goals because they just hit through ball after through ball. If they roll to our keeper, it's no big deal, they still have 11 behind the ball. When you get it taken off you as a midfielder, it's likely 3 v 4 going the other way - but our CPU defenders are so bad and slow that we are not in a good spot. Hit that long ball over the top or take the shot from 35 out. Both of those are preferable to getting it stolen. This will also save our legs.

Second corching point - play backwards when there's nothing on. Too often we see this as an opportunity to try and go 1v1 and that leads to turnovers. This is especially useful if we have 5 or more. When I was playing holding in the 4-1-4-1, I tried to shift with the ball and always be an option back. So, if ur in that holding mid spot, drop off - ur not there to score goals. If you do, they should be long shots. I understand that when we don't have the human back there it's a little scarier, but it's still often the better choice.

Third - calm ur tits with the call for pass button. The biggest mistake we make here is hitting it when they aren't facing us. Again - DONT CALL FOR IT IF THEY ARENT FACING YOU. This is practically a guaranteed turnover. I understand the button delay or the "call for it but they were already passing it to you" turnovers. That's not what I'm referring to.

Kella
- probably our biggest drop off once ur in the cycle
- occasionally over confident with the ball. Especially when drunk

Yeah this is fair. MRW we get on and immediately get depantsed while turning the ball over incessantly and calling for passes with a defender between urself and the CPU with the ball:

ajUxw4w.jpg

The overconfidence follows the tilt, and the tilt has been happening really quickly recently.

I agree with general points as well, and will add a few others:

1) Play the ball the way ur facing. This sounds like weird advice but it's simple. If your back is to goal, and you get the ball, it's going to be very hard to turn around and start running. Dribble the OTHER way even if it's backward, or look for an easy layoff to a teammate.

2) Know what ur gonna do when you get the ball. Know who is around you. This way you don't have to fucking stare a hole through your guy and subsequently miss every available pass until you dribble out of bounds or into a corner or into a defender. If there's a one touch available, DO IT. Tempo is the only way to break down packed defenses.

3) If you're a striker and you're coming BACK to get a ball, ok, but you have to understand that your job immediately after getting that ball is not to score a goal. It is to redistribute and get yourself back to pushing the defensive line. If you are coming back to get it you are likely a minimum 30 yards from the opponent's net and not facing it.

4) If you do get the ball in space, with a lot of time (like on a well executed counter), do not immediately launch some hail mary of a lofted ball. Play it early if there's an obvious outlet, otherwise let your teammates' runs develop and evaluate a few options. DO NOT decide to do your favorite thing and just do it no matter what happens. This is related to #2 because as you are receiving a long pass on the counter you should know where your immediate options are.

5) Regular passes, through balls, and lobbed through balls exploit space in different ways. A direct pass exploits the space directly around (or behind) the receiving player. A through ball goes to empty space between a player and the opponent's net and requires that you exploit an angle. A lobbed through ball exploits the angle with disregards for any players who may be directly in the way. It acts like a through ball would if the defender between you and ur target were not there, but it takes a lot longer to get there and has to be taken down in the air...it should be the fucking LAST choice for a pass. The lobbed through ball hasn't been OP since like FIFA 12.

6) Cross it early. It's never bad to cross too early. It's always bad to cross too late (and especially weak/bad crosses turn into immediate counter attacks). If your striker is in line with you or ahead of you and you're on the wing, cross it just before you reach the edge of the box (imagining the box line extends all the way to the sideline) using L1+Long Pass. This will intentionally lead the cross and if it ur lucky it will bend right to the striker's head.

7) On the flanks, look for the cutback and look for it early. It does nobody any good if you're on the wing to take it all the way to the end line and then send a slow rolling pass back to the CAM/CDM supporting. (This is what we call "the play" from the MS Paint days).

8) Utilize the driven ground pass to cover long distances. R1+X. Great for sending the ball diagonally up to the striker from about the half line.

9) Shot fake and skill moves rarely work against CPU defenders. CPU defenders are idiots but the only move that really works is sprinting toward the end line and then cutting back inside.

If you're used to playing Seasons/FUT/offline/whatever, Clubs takes some adjustment. You aren't always going to have the ball. You aren't making every pass and a lot of times your job is simply to get the ball and move it as quickly as possible. For all the flaws this mode has, it mirrors real soccer in that way at the very least.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Also a big problem is we're facing the goal when we're shooting, we need to turn away and 180 noscope

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I can be on from like 5:30-8 tonight but later is doubtful. That's BEAST COAST time people.

NML

I'm good starting at like 6:45, maybe earlier. Can play until whenever, especially if we're winning