• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Major League Soccer Thread

Snorky's Shame

Pa-choke-ca. Way to defend the long ball. That looked like a FIFA goal.

74 year old Conejo Perez got nutmegged.

Montreal to the semi-finals.

NML

Forgot the game was tonight. Went to MLS' website and it read that Montreal was going out on a late penalty. Flip it to FS2 and Frank is being sent off to a standing ovation and Montreal advances. Unreal

NML

Haha that was awful defending. Grats to Montreal doe. Montreal played well for the first 50 minutes and the last 5. They were the worst team for the 130 or so in between. Still, they had a good showing in Mexico which is tough to do.

Can't see DC overturning the deficit unless Hamid plays, but still it will be fun to watch. Either way, I think it'll be a Montreal/America final. Which I don't think would be close.

NML

Team: New England

Best Case Scenario: Agudelo syncs back up instantly, the offense is the best in the league, Farrell and JoGo are studs at CB, and the Revs win the Supporters Shield and MLS Cup.

Worst Case Scenario: Agudelo gets hurt, Davies can't re-find his MLS Cup run form, and Heaps over-thinks on moving people around. The team never gels, Jones wants to play CB instead, and they allow some cheap goals. They make the playoffs but are bounced in the first round.

Fan Favorite: Could be a ton of different guys - but probably Lee Nyguen.

Young Player To Look Out For On Your Team: Steve Neumann. Mullins got most of the attention last season as an impact rookie, but Neumann was actually drafted before Mullins. It didn't happen last year, but hopefully he finds his form this season.

Player You Would Like To Drive To Another Club: Jerry Bengston, although he is out on loan.

Opposition Player You Secretly Admire: Robbie Keane. Sans Donovan, probably the best player I've ever seen in MLS.

Opposition Player You Openly Despise: Lampard? I don't know, Blas Perez seems like kind of a dick.

Opposing MLS Team You Respect: Houston. Besides Ching, they've never had any stars and yet they always seem to make the playoffs.

Opposing MLS Team You Despise: Toronto FC. I can appreciate that they are trying to spend the money, but cot damn realize that the supporting players need to improve. Wasting Bradley and Jozy's best years.

Do You Have The Right Owner: No. The Kraft's have gotten extremely lucky the past three seasons (this one included) that studs fell into their lap. Agudelo for peanuts from Chivas, Jermaine Jones "blind draw," and Agudelo again. The youth system isn't good either. Revs are typically one of the worst MLS teams in USSDA.

Do You Have The Right Manager: Yep, Heaps is a bauce.

What Advice Do You Have For The Manager: Andy Dorman isn't any good.

What Is The One Thing You Would Change At Your Club: Front office staff.

What Is The One Thing You Would Change In MLS: The minimum salary is getting increased, but still probably not enough. Not MLS, but I wish the Champions League format would change. It actually covers three seasons - the one that you qualify from, the fall of year two, and the knockout rounds in the spring of year three.

Where Will You Finish: 1st, in the East and overall.

Who Wins MLS Cup: Revs

Will An MLS Team Win The CONCACAF Champions League: Montreal gets to the final, but no.

How Far Will The United States Go At The Women's World Cup: Not far, they've looked shitty the last few times I saw them.

Will The United States Win The Gold Cup: Yes!!

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Team: LA Galaxy

Best Case Scenario: MLS Cup, again.

Worst Case Scenario: Early round playoff exit. I don't see this team missing the playoffs unless they get railroaded by a bunch of freak injuries or something.

Fan Favorite: It's gotta be Keane. DeLaGarza too, given his personal/family tragedy last year.

Young Player To Look Out For On Your Team: No idea. I nailed this last year with Zardes, but I don't think any of the n00bs with LA will make that kind of impact this year.

Player You Would Like To Drive To Another Club: There isn't anybody I really don't like. Penedo is feast or famine, so when he's having "one of those days," I want to drag him out back and shoot him.

Opposition Player You Secretly Admire: Lampard. Not a secret. :thumbsup: I also like Zusi, because fuck @Travis7401

Opposition Player You Openly Despise: Steven Lenhart. This answer won't change until he retires.

Opposing MLS Team You Respect: Seattle. Love the fan support, and despite being rivals to my local teams, I've always had a soft spot for Seattle sports -- M's, Sonics (RIP), Sounders, and obviously the Seahawks. That being said, I "hate" the Sounders when they're playing the Galaxy. And I never "hate" the M's when they're playing the Angels, or "hated" the Sonics when they played the Lakers.

Opposing MLS Team You Despise: [Seattle. If you have ever talked to a Sounders fan, you'll know why.] <--re: Snorky's answer. He's dead on regarding Sounders fans. I just said I admire their fan support as a whole, but a 1-on-1 soccer conversation with a Sounders fan can be torture.

Do You Have The Right Owner: Yep.

Do You Have The Right Manager: Yep.

What Advice Do You Have For The Manager: I hope there's a "backup" plan for the offense besides just Gerrard-to-Keane. They're old. Shit can tear, break, sprain, etc.

What Is The One Thing You Would Change At Your Club: The third kit. I know it's meant to honor to old uniforms, but it's still ugly.

What Is The One Thing You Would Change In MLS: Careful with the rapid expansion. This league is growing nicely, but it's still not the NFL or NBA. Don't deplete the talent too much by spreading it across 100 teams.

Where Will You Finish: Top 3 in the West.

Who Wins MLS Cup: I'll say L.A., without much conviction though. If you're forcing me to bet on "will LA win it?" I'd probably say no. But I don't know which other team I'd give better odds than LA.

Will An MLS Team Win The CONCACAF Champions League: :laughing:

How Far Will The United States Go At The Women's World Cup: I have no idea. I pay attention to the Womens team during WC's only, honestly.

Will The United States Win The Gold Cup: Sure, why not. It's 50-50 between us and the Messicans, obviously.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Team: Colorado Rapids

Everything else:
jay-cutler-doesnt-care.png

Seriously doe, I made it a goal to go to a game this year but my schedule is rapidly filling up with fishing related activities, so it might not happen.

Snorky's Shame

For anyone following the CBA, the Fire have just boarded a plane to Los Angeles. Not sure what that means in the grand scheme, but they could be close to a deal.

That said, the Fire are have rumored to have a flight back on Thursday if a strike is called.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
For anyone following the CBA, the Fire have just boarded a plane to Los Angeles. Not sure what that means in the grand scheme, but they could be close to a deal.

That said, the Fire are have rumored to have a flight back on Thursday if a strike is called.

According to my DirecTV guide/search, this game doesn't exist. Any idea what channel it's on? (if it happens).

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
B_Tcp-PUoAAnUVU.png:large

Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum. Habemus ad tempus!
Cry some more, unnamed player who feel this will destroy the future of American soccer, cop the fine and keep your mouth shut.

NML

Donovan sounds like a 9th grader in their second semester of Spanish on Unimas

Snorky's Shame

Donovan sounds like a 9th grader in their second semester of Spanish on Unimas

I got real shitty grades when I took Spanish for five years in school. I learned more Spanish watching soccer on Telemundo and Univision than I did reading a textbook.

NML

I got real shitty grades when I took Spanish for five years in school. I learned more Spanish watching soccer on Telemundo and Univision than I did reading a textbook.

He played in Spain for a year, right? I'm sure being thrown into it helped.

It was just very slow and had the obvious English accent to it.

Is SAP working for you? Supposedly it's going to switch it to English. Maybe it won't kick in until kickoff, because I'm still all Spanish right now.

Snorky's Shame

He played in Spain for a year, right? I'm sure being thrown into it helped.

It was just very slow and had the obvious English accent to it.

Is SAP working for you? Supposedly it's going to switch it to English. Maybe it won't kick in until kickoff, because I'm still all Spanish right now.

I think he learned Spanish growing up in Southern California. I don't think he was in Spain. The only US players I remember in Spain were kella (Rayo), Szetela (Racing), Altidore (Villarreal) and Razov (Ferrol). I know I'm missing a few.

SAP isn't working for me either.

Snorky's Shame

This game should be 3-0 Los Angeles right now. The Fire can't string three passes in the midfield to save their lives.

NML

Yeah I have no clue how LA haven't scored yet. It's not even like Johnson is bailing out the Fire, Galaxy just can't finish.

Of course, on cue, Chicago with some good passing and a dangerous FK

Snorky's Shame

It's sad when your best chance to score is arguably when Amarikwa blocked a clearance from Rowe in the first half.

I got 33 more games of this shit.

To make up for not creating anything with the long ball game, the Fire decide not to clear anything in the box either.

Sean Johnson going to need a psychiatrist by the time this season is over.

Milo

Not particularly impressed with either so far. Clearly, Orlando has been the better of the two.

Not a great opening weekend for MLS. TFC-Vancouver being the exception.

NML

I was about half watching, but I really liked what Orlando City did. Loved Brek Shea on the left - he absolutely soul raped someone doing a Maradona.

Sloppy game though, as expected. Lots of MLS debuts and each teams' first competitive match.

NML

That may have been the greatest combination goal I've ever seen in MLS by Seattle.

I'm not too worried about the Revs. Before the third goal, they probably had the better of possession and arguably controlled the game. Seattle just has so much talent offensively, they capitalize on chances. I do worry about Agudelo - he was really bad, maybe the worst player on the field (until this Okoli fellow came on).

Of course, as I type this, Lallas says Agudelo was good. Why does he insist on being the Colin Cowherd of soccer? Literally everything he says, he's trying to be the quote from a newspaper article title.

NML

Also not sure on this Farrell at CB thing. I knew Andrew in college, and he mostly played holding mid. He's such a freak athletically, but in two seasons at right back, he still never really understood his defensive responsibilities. I don't think the move to center back will help matters any.

Last edited: